Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Does our Midfield concern you?

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:16 am

With Neil Warnock saying Grujic and a striker to come in. Does that make you worry a little about Midfield?

We struggled in the middle of the park at times last year with and without Grujic. We are looking awful thin in that department.

Even if Gunnars signs on still need a new signing.

I think it's clear that Bonby Reid has been brought in as a attacking midfielder more than a striker so that's an extra body, but we need more.

Don't get me wrong I'm thrilled with the signings so far and everything that Neil Warnock says you take with a pinch of salt as he keeps all his transfers close to his chest.

I fully back him and believe he knows exactly what we need to stay up but I do feel an extra body in Midfield would benefit us a lot

Re: Does our Midfield concern you?

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:20 am

I thought we were gonna get a first team right back and midfield where would of spent around million. I'm happy with Ralls, Paterson inst a midfielder which concerns me but last season impressed us all. I've always been fine with gunnarson but hes injury prone which means damour will play who is defo not a 1st team prem player. and right back, manga is a centre back, peltier isn't good enough and jazz is injury prone.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:21 am

Massively, as it stands we haven't replaced Bryson, Grujic or Gunnerson or even Halford and that's to get us to last seasons standard which would have needed improving. I don't see Reid playing as a central midfielder.

Personally I'd get Grujic and bring in 2 quality midfielders as well and not renew Gunners deal.

If we don't have the legs in midfield we won't do anything next season.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:28 am

Let Gunners go............ Grujic and a playmaker in midfield with Ralls and Paterson and maybe one more.
A striker on loan or hernandez..and Danny simpson

We really need to bolster the midfield for this season or we will struggle

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:28 am

2blue2handle wrote:Massively, as it stands we haven't replaced Bryson, Grujic or Gunnerson or even Halford and that's to get us to last seasons standard which would have needed improving. I don't see Reid playing as a central midfielder.

Personally I'd get Grujic and bring in 2 quality midfielders as well and not renew Gunners deal.

i agree...people kept banging on about strikers and goalkeepers yet ATM we are 3 bodies down in the middle. personally i didnt think we weere lacking there as much as some did last season due to how we played but going up a level should mean stronger not weaker.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:33 am

dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Massively, as it stands we haven't replaced Bryson, Grujic or Gunnerson or even Halford and that's to get us to last seasons standard which would have needed improving. I don't see Reid playing as a central midfielder.

i agree...people kept banging on about strikers and goalkeepers yet ATM we are 3 bodies down in the middle. personally i didnt think we weere lacking there as much as some did last season due to how we played but going up a level should mean stronger not weaker.

we are still going to play the same way though, most of our creative plays will come out wide.

In an ideal world we would line up with Grujic Woods and Ralls against bournmouth. With Gunnars, Patterson and Damour all in the squad.

That i dont think would be a bad midfield, but at the moment 3 of those players dont belong to us

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:38 am

Play it down the wings or over the top...... sorted.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:43 am

I think its a wait and see job myself.I would be concerned if in a months time we hadn't signed anyone new in midfield that gives us something new but not concerned at the moment.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:50 am

No. Grujic, Gunnarsson, Ralls, Damour, Patterson (he has been solid the few times he played midfield) and Bamba if things get desperate. Absolutely not concerned one bit. What, are we going to get 3 injuries in midfield? Yes it’s possible, but what happens when we get 3 injuries at Center back? Oh you’re not worried about Bruno, Morrison & Manga all getting injured at once, coz that’s as likely as our midfield being a problem. I’ve seen enough or Grujic, Ralls & Damour to know we will ATLEAST get by with them playing there, I rate all 3 of them. Gunnarsson as a back up isn’t ideal but he’s a fighter and makes up for his lack of quality (which he does also have some of that too)

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:52 am

Realistically, Patterson will certainly be a midfielder similar to what Bryson gave us last season. I can’t much room for him in the position he was in last season just behind the striker, it would be nice to see but the players we have now I can’t see him getting an opportunity that far forward. We have like 5/6 cover for the TWO midfielders we will be playing, people understating how many we have lol.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:54 am

If we play same way as last year we will struggle, aimlessly smashing it forward against world class centre halves will not work. It will be bread and butter to them. Opposition will clean up and break down our right where we don’t have a decent full back, or just play through the middle where we don’t have a midfield.

I appreciate we have a budget, but we need a midfield general and an enforcer, and a right back! Manga is a great centre half, but he will get absolutely bummed for pace out wide.

For the positive side, I am sure he will address all of the above, I don’t think he will stop at 2 more but he will know players need to be shifted on.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:54 am

Would like to see City bring in a quality creative midfielder who can pick a pass. At the moment all our eggs seem in one basket, I.e. out wide to Hoilett, Murphy & NML.

Other teams will soon work out that we have no creativity in the middle of the park. How often can you say that we have opened up a defence with a through ball by one of the midfielders, Ralls, etc? We need someone comfortable on the ball who can pick a pass e.g. (a Whitts type) so that we have a bit more variety going forward.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:20 am

JakeBluebird wrote:With Neil Warnock saying Grujic and a striker to come in. Does that make you worry a little about Midfield?

We struggled in the middle of the park at times last year with and without Grujic. We are looking awful thin in that department.

I think it's clear that Bonby Reid has been brought in as a attacking midfielder more than a striker so that's an extra body, but we need more.

Don't get me wrong I'm thrilled with the signings so far and everything that Neil Warnock says you take with a pinch of salt as he keeps all his transfers close to his chest.

I fully back him and believe he knows exactly what we need to stay up but I do feel an extra body in Midfield would benefit us a lot

It doesn't concern me if Gunnar signs, no.

Think back to the beginning of the season, before his injury, how much he and Ralls complemented each other, and how much they dominated the opposition.

Wolves away in particular, they were both outstanding. Plenty of other examples too.

If Gunnar leaves then that position becomes a massive priority.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:06 pm

Wayne S wrote:Play it down the wings or over the top...... sorted.

that is what we were doing.?
you still need bodies in there

Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:26 pm

Not worried one bit, Warnock hasn’t finished his recruitment yet.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:52 pm

As it stands, yes, it concerns me as lasts years midfield is no way good for the whole season in the prem. We definitely need to improve IMO and I think Warnock will.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:05 pm

Savigma wrote:No. Grujic, Gunnarsson, Ralls, Damour, Patterson (he has been solid the few times he played midfield) and Bamba if things get desperate. Absolutely not concerned one bit. What, are we going to get 3 injuries in midfield? Yes it’s possible, but what happens when we get 3 injuries at Center back? Oh you’re not worried about Bruno, Morrison & Manga all getting injured at once, coz that’s as likely as our midfield being a problem. I’ve seen enough or Grujic, Ralls & Damour to know we will ATLEAST get by with them playing there, I rate all 3 of them. Gunnarsson as a back up isn’t ideal but he’s a fighter and makes up for his lack of quality (which he does also have some of that too)

Grujic and Gunnerson as it stands aren't ours so that is a concern. Personally don't think that is enough quality either.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Wayne S wrote:Play it down the wings or over the top...... sorted.

Brilliant!!! :thumbup: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:50 pm

Most games are won or lost in the middle of the park for me. Although he was rusty, Grujic offered a lot for us. For one he was the only true midfielder we had last season that could win the ball in the air. When we had Bryson Ralls and Gunnar’s in their we were rinsed by opposition. Bryson had an awesome engine but lacked strength and nothing in the final third. Ralls I like, but he needs protecting by someone like Grujic or possibly Patterson if that’s to be his new home. Damour I reckon will be loaned out, Gunnar’s for me is too slow, no heading ability and we have better throw in takers now - I hope if he stays he’s used as back up (but can’t see that happening)
I think that Patterson and Reid could be effective behind Zohore this season and our wingers are covered. We still need two bodies in the middle imo

Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:36 pm

Didn’t realise the transfer window was ending next week.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:59 pm

norms76 wrote:Not worried one bit, Warnock hasn’t finished his recruitment yet.

Correct! Wait and see.

I'm sure NW is aware of our midfield weakness and will address it. If he managed to get Ryan Wood in I'd go weak at the knees

Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:09 pm

I assume we are gunna play 4-2-3-1

ETHERIDGE
RICHARDS-MORRISON-BAMBA-BENNETT
RALLS-GRUJIC(IF HE SIGNS)
MURPHY-REID-HOILETT
ZOHORE

PRETTY STRONG SIDE PLUS WE GOT A STRONG BENCH WHICH KEY FOR NEXT SEASON.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Gringo22 wrote:I assume we are gunna play 4-2-3-1

ETHERIDGE
MURPHY-REID-HOILETT
ZOHORE

No Patterson? Or Cunningham?

He’s bought Cunningham and I think he’s bought him to use him. Maybe 3 CB’s and Wingbacks so he can utilise Joe Bennett and Cunningham.

I think we going to see Smithies in goal too.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:48 pm

If we play with three centre backs we are gunna need more strenging as we only have 3 good center backs

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:07 pm

norms76 wrote:
Gringo22 wrote:I assume we are gunna play 4-2-3-1

ETHERIDGE
MURPHY-REID-HOILETT
ZOHORE

No Patterson? Or Cunningham?

He’s bought Cunningham and I think he’s bought him to use him. Maybe 3 CB’s and Wingbacks so he can utilise Joe Bennett and Cunningham.

I think we going to see Smithies in goal too.

I'm not sure where Paterson will fit in at Premier level

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:32 pm

Probs will be a Bench player and will just have to prove he better and hopefully breaks in the squad

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:59 am

Yes we need to bring a quality creative midfielder, someone who is good at set pieces would be a huge bonus given our potential threat from Bamba and Morrison etc... If we sign Grujic and I think we will then I can see him partnered with either Ralls or this deep line player maker.

Personally after spending 30m so far I can't see us spending that much more so maybe it will be another loan signing from Europe?

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:23 am

Our Venter mids struggled last year and it's looking exactly the same this year. We need to improve there

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:11 pm

JakeBluebird wrote:With Neil Warnock saying Grujic and a striker to come in. Does that make you worry a little about Midfield?

Our defence concerns me more. Team's are going to rip us to part at the back seriously.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Dahboy wrote:

Our defence concerns me more. Team's are going to rip us to part at the back seriously.

did you watch us last season?
Man City scored one from open play in 90 mins.

Defence is the only position we shouldn't be overly worried about.