Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Advice on buying a house.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:02 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:As promised, here’s the final update on the house situation.

The vendors refused to get a completion certificate for the extension, even though it only costs about £200 and would supersede any indemnity policy. This got me wondering if they were worried about potential large repair bills due to building regulations not being adhered to.

It came across as a classic transfer of risk ownership, with me potentially liable for any repairs as I would have been unable or victimised when getting home insurance.

As a result, I won’t be buying the Dorma Bungalow and it’s back up for sale on the market in Bridgend. I’m annoyed that I wasn’t given all the information at the start, as their lack of integrity has cost me about a grand.

I’ve got 2 and a half years remaining of extremely cheap rent (through work) and the plan is to buy nearer the time it ends.

Thanks to everyone who contributed for your time and effort and I hope you enjoy next season. :ayatollah:

I think you've done the right thing although I would have rung Building control to just see what the issues were. You have to suspect they're not a trivial matter to sort or they would get it done themselves.

They have a requirement to make you aware of such issues but Im not sure at what point that needs to be in the process. I would take them to small claims court, you've nothing to lose and I think you have a case. There are recognised proceedures whebn having such work done. Their failure to follow those proceedures or inform you before you incurfred cost is in unreasonable.