Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Possession & Tactics - How about it NW ?

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:43 pm

Some interesting comments from the Daily Mail.

I think these comments kind of sum up Warnock‘s tactics last season.

Perhaps similar tactics will do well for us in the Premiership this coming season.

What do you guys think?

Uruguay boss Oscar Tabarez claims the obsession with ball possession in modern football is misguided, and simply does not translate into goal chances.

Uruguay beat Portugal 2-1 in Sochi despite possession of little more than 30 per cent.

In Saturday's other last-16 clash, France won 4-2 against Argentina who dominated the ball.

After today’s defeat of Spain, the same comments may apply.

Re: Possession & Tactics - How about it NW ?

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:13 pm

Football is forever changing but not many teams can get away with Tika Taka or a possession based game without a world class forward. Barca the exponents of that style had three up top and two in midfield and teams like Citeh simply can out buy everyone else to "impose" their style.

Modern football (IMO) is about the speed of the transition and our "old school" dinosaur manager knows this. Most outsiders believe we play similar to Slade, hit it long to a big man or Malky hit it long and crowd midfield to pick up the second ball. We all know we don't and the speed of the ball to the searing pace of the flanks gets the ball forward very quickly but in a controlled manner.

Uruguay got the ball forward quickly yesterday to two world class strikers. I think they can surprise the French like i believe we will next season.

Been a great world cup as well.... :bluescarf:

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:28 pm

We did this all last season.

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:27 pm

waggera wrote:Some interesting comments from the Daily Mail.

I think these comments kind of sum up Warnock‘s tactics last season.

Perhaps similar tactics will do well for us in the Premiership this coming season.

What do you guys think?

Uruguay boss Oscar Tabarez claims the obsession with ball possession in modern football is misguided, and simply does not translate into goal chances.

Uruguay beat Portugal 2-1 in Sochi despite possession of little more than 30 per cent.

In Saturday's other last-16 clash, France won 4-2 against Argentina who dominated the ball.

After today’s defeat of Spain, the same comments may apply.

I think it will see us good next season if we can remain clinical in final third . Just look at the pace we are going to have on the break in our front 3

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:46 pm

To salopiancity — that’s what I said in my original post. I was hoping for some more discussion in light of what some World Cup coaches have been quoted as saying. The unknown factor is how successful last season s tactic s will be this coming season.

What does everyone think ???

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:31 am

Athletico Madrid , Leicester ( when they won the Premier League) , Burnley are all teams who adopt this style of staying organised,disciplined at the back , not worrying about possession stats then springing into attack with pace and trying to maximise the time with the ball in the final third.

The players just have to be patient and concentrate on working hard without the ball and sticking to the plan and we as fans need to also be patient, support the players and get behind them as we are going to spend a long time without the ball :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:05 am

Possession statistics and the more recent "passing accuracy" are meaningless. The team with the most possession is just as likely to the one who cant do anything with the ball and just knock it around cluelessly in the middle third of the park-. Swansea?-as the side who are dominating. They have become fashionable because the TV channels now have the resources and technology to more easily monitor these things and they need something to show us and talk about. :old:

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:47 pm

The only statistics from a game that I ever look at are the final score, times of the goals, and attendance. Call me a dinasour, but it's stood me in good stead for over fifty years.