Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Aron Gunnarson is no longer a Cardiff City player

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:25 pm

Personally I think Gunnarson wants to move abroad. Comments made earlier on in the season suggested he'd had enough of playing in the championship. Well, we are not a Championship club anymore and he is yet to sign a contract. I don't think and can't see another PL club coming in for him so I can only see 2 options available.

Sign a new contract with us or move to another country for a new challenge. Just my personal opinion.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:45 pm

The club surely know now the situation unless they still hold out hope of 're negotiating his contract.
Should be sorted one way or another this week.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:09 pm

Just my opinion but I think he was hoping for a good world cup and someone would come in for him.
Personally do not like the way he's played this and has thoughts above himself if he thinks he can 1. hold his own in the Prem. or 2. try to bluff NW. Good servant, well paid but time to go.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:20 pm

Jules wrote:Just my opinion but I think he was hoping for a good world cup and someone would come in for him.
Personally do not like the way he's played this and has thoughts above himself if he thinks he can 1. hold his own in the Prem. or 2. try to bluff NW. Good servant, well paid but time to go.

Think this post just about nails it :clap: :clap:

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:33 pm

:wave: hwyl fawr Gunners butt :wave:

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:44 pm

If you want him to stay - fear not. It's likely because the bloke was at a World Cup that he hasn't signed anything. Some players are happy to talk during the World Cup but seeing as he's the captain of his country, I think it's in everyone's best interest that he just concentrated on Iceland and not negotiating contracts with us.

I would personally keep him. He's not likely to be on massive wages and he's a great leader. He lacked a bit of ability last season but I think with a good pre-season with Warnock he'll be back to his best. Should be in his prime now. I'd take him if he was leaving another club :thumbright:

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:13 pm

Me too :thumbup:

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:26 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:If you want him to stay - fear not. It's likely because the bloke was at a World Cup that he hasn't signed anything. Some players are happy to talk during the World Cup but seeing as he's the captain of his country, I think it's in everyone's best interest that he just concentrated on Iceland and not negotiating contracts with us.

I would personally keep him. He's not likely to be on massive wages and he's a great leader. He lacked a bit of ability last season but I think with a good pre-season with Warnock he'll be back to his best. Should be in his prime now. I'd take him if he was leaving another club :thumbright:

As far as the wages are concerned I actually think he must be one of our highest earners.

I think his last contract was signed when we were in the Premier League and therefore he will have been one of the highest earners at the club over the last few years.

He's been a great servant but has been very well rewarded for his services I think.

Time to say thanks very much and move on now.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:40 pm

Mikey27 wrote:Personally I think Gunnarson wants to move abroad. Comments made earlier on in the season suggested he'd had enough of playing in the championship. Well, we are not a Championship club anymore and he is yet to sign a contract. I don't think and can't see another PL club coming in for him so I can only see 2 options available.

Sign a new contract with us or move to another country for a new challenge. Just my personal opinion.

I have thought this all along. He'll probably wants a three year deal in a less physically demanding marathon of a league. I think promotion scuppered the best laid plans as one more crack in one of the major leagues can't be ignored.

But, the likelihood of a three year deal is one in the premier and two in the championship and has said he doesn't want that. A one year deal may be beneficial this year, but a bit part and a relegation may knacker any chance of a final decent payday.

Warnock and Gunnars are both old school, i wouldn't mind betting an agreement has been reached that these are the terms if you want and we'll keep it open for a predetermined period beyond the end of contract.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:09 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:If you want him to stay - fear not. It's likely because the bloke was at a World Cup that he hasn't signed anything. Some players are happy to talk during the World Cup but seeing as he's the captain of his country, I think it's in everyone's best interest that he just concentrated on Iceland and not negotiating contracts with us.

The thing is that nobody knows how much a player earns, so the only way to judge is would he be effective in the PL and I think he wouldn't

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Sign him. We need the numbers.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:00 am

Jules wrote:Just my opinion but I think he was hoping for a good world cup and someone would come in for him.

Fully agreed!

He's not good enough for the Premier anyway ... time to say goodbye!

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:17 am

“Aron Gunnarsson is no longer a Cardiff City player”

Let’s hope it stays that way.
Been a good servant for the club and a half decent player but it’s time to move on.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:02 am

JJ1927 wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
dogfound wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:I like Gunnarson, but looking at it objectively if we were looking at signing an out of contract player to bring our midfield up to Premier League standard would Gunnarson be on our list?

the answer is obviously yes.
we have offered him a deal..he is out of contract and does play in midfield.
so id assume not only on the list but quite high on this list.

Dogfound, I think you've misunderstood mate. Maybe I have!?

I think he meant if Gunnar had never played for Cardiff and he was available on a free, Would we still be looking at signing him?

Could be wrong but that's how I read it :thumbright:
Yes that's what I meant. If he wasn't a Cardiff player already I don't think we he would be high on the list.

but he is not a Cardiff player....he is a free agent

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:05 am

piledriver64 wrote:
dogfound wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:I like Gunnarson, but looking at it objectively if we were looking at signing an out of contract player to bring our midfield up to Premier League standard would Gunnarson be on our list?

the answer is obviously yes.
we have offered him a deal..he is out of contract and does play in midfield.
so id assume not only on the list but quite high on this list.

But it’s not obvious though is it ?

If we’ve offered him a contract that isn’t at the level he expects in the Prem it would suggest he’s just going to be a back up and clearly not “high on the list” !

I just can’t see why people think he will make it in the Prem this time. He couldn’t cope with the pace 5 years ago and won’t this time around either.

I would take him as a squad player but if he’s first choice CM then I would worry.

well unless you want to go down the road of...our manager is trying to sign players he deems not good enough im afraid it is obvious...its not like we are talking about some kid out of the conference that we take a punt on

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:14 am

yuou dont like the way he has said nothing..and conducted himself impeccably..????

if you dont like him fair enough...but making up fairy tales oh come on..

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:23 am

I thinks its funny that if fans are not given a daily up date they just make it it up.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:06 pm

dogfound wrote:

yuou dont like the way he has said nothing..and conducted himself impeccably..????

Nothing wrong with speculating on what he thinks has happened. This Forum is basically 99% full of speculation its only his opinion.
I agree with the part that I think he hoped he would have a good world cup and get a decent move. Although I personally have no problem with the way he has done it, I would say all or at least the vast majority of these players are all looking for the bigger better deal and I don't believe any of them are hear purely because they love Cardiff City FC.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:39 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Nothing wrong with speculating on what he thinks has happened. This Forum is basically 99% full of speculation its only his opinion.
I agree with the part that I think he hoped he would have a good world cup and get a decent move. Although I personally have no problem with the way he has done it, I would say all or at least the vast majority of these players are all looking for the bigger better deal and I don't believe any of them are hear purely because they love Cardiff City FC.

I suppose I could have put it better but what I meant was all the personal comments made.We all can and do speculate but I think he deserves better than being told where to go on the basis of that speculation.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:53 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I suppose I could have put it better but what I meant was all the personal comments made.We all can and do speculate but I think he deserves better than being told where to go on the basis of that speculation.

To be honest I think Warnock was out of order making the comments earlier in the season, it was always going to turn some fans against him.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:05 pm

I'm going to attempt to be subjective about this topic, as it seems to have divided opinion.
Aron Gunnarsson is an International DMF, who has just captained his country in a World Cup(probably the biggest global stage)
I understand the standpoint of some people saying that he's had a few injuries lately, but injury prone ??? Hardly.
I personally think it speaks volumes for him, that even when not fully match fit, he still puts in a shift and no, I'll concede he's not the easiest on the eye, but his job in the team is to sit in and nullify the opposition, not spray 50 yard passes directly onto the forwards toe.
Every team needs a player like him, who does the dirty work.
I remember Eric Cantona describing Didier Deschamps as a "water carrier". In my opinion Gunnarsson is Cardiff's equivalent.
Truthfully, I hope he signs a new contract, where else are the club going to get a direct replacement, without paying out a small fortune.
Grujic ??? He ain't the finished article by any means yet, maybe a bit easier on the eye, but doesn't anticipate danger and is downright reckless at times aka Hull game.
Maybe, Grujic could eventually join permanently and replace Gunnarsson, but IMO too many people are looking to move Gunnarsson on too quickly.
Showing my age, but the phrase that springs to mind is " throwing the baby out with the bathwater "
NW obviously sees the value of the role that Gunnarsson plays, both on the field and off it.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:06 pm

Someone told me he’s starring in the next season of Vikings. Maybe this is why he’s delaying.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:19 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:

All Gunner has done is not tie himself down for longer than the 1 year he had left on his contract. he hasnt played up .hasnt said anything in public and to my knowledge has never said anything negative about our club ..not to mention playing 250 games for us almost always giving 100%..
yet ALL the speculation seems to be about giving an ultimatum..thinking he is better than he is..conning NW ..and generally not being a very nice guy.
peoples opinions on a players ability attributes weaknesses effectiveness vary..
i find this ongoing charecter assasination based not on what Gunner has said or on what NW said crap..

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Yes dog I agree with you, Gunnar has been a good servant to the club through thick and thin and is just holding out for the best last big deal of his career.
And if he chooses to pursue a career in tv then he has my full support also.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:32 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:

To be honest I think Warnock was out of order making the comments earlier in the season, it was always going to turn some fans against him.

with hindsight no he shouldnt have, but im pretty sure when he gave that interview it didnt cross his mind that some of our fans would twist it..
after 10 years playing in the championship he didnt want to tie himself to any more..understandable..? id have thought so, we have all either moved jobs ourselves or know friends and relatives that have done likewise in all walks of life for a variety of reasons..

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:40 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:

same here....we sign so many duds that totally dont give 2 hoots {as do all clubs }..i believe the guys that come here put in a shift and show a bit of loyalty { im aware its probably money that initially got them here but that doesnt then stop them caring } deserve better.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:07 pm

:bluebird: