Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Neil Etheridge or Alex Smithies?

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:52 am

Neil Etheridge or Alex Smithies?

Who should be the Bluebirds' first choice goalkeeper next term?

Re: Neil Etheridge or Alex Smithies?

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:07 pm

Let them battle it our preseason and see who performs the best.

I understand Etheridge deserves a chance especially the way he finished the season in superb form but, new season and new league so may the best keeper get the place.

If the season started tomorrow it would be Etheridge but that's mainly down to not seeing a lot of Smithies

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:08 pm

Whoever performs best in pre-season. No room for sentiment. Etheridge did well last season but there can be no guarantees. My feeling is Smithies is the better 'keeper but he may have to wait

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:18 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Let them battle it our preseason and see who performs the best.

I understand Etheridge deserves a chance especially the way he finished the season in superb form but, new season and new league so may the best keeper get the place.

If the season started tomorrow it would be Etheridge but that's mainly down to not seeing a lot of Smithies

I agree with this, have a look pre-season but if it's 50/50 go with Etheridge. He deserves a start after his solid performances last season.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:27 pm

I think he will start with the man in possession and it will be Etheridge unless he has a poor pre season. Given the standard of the opposition in most of the friendlies I cant see either keeper having much opportunity to shine.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:30 pm

I have many QPR mates. To a man, they are devastated to lose him, especially for such a knock down price. They all regard 8 million as a fairer price. We've had a bargain.

In all seriousness, what would you value Etheridge at? Nowhere near 8 million I'd say. Always looks like he's got a mistake in him.

In my opinion Smithies was bought as Number 1 goalie. By god we're gonna need one next season. I'm happy with this bit of our business. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:40 pm

Ruislip Blue wrote:I have many QPR mates. To a man, they are devastated to lose him, especially for such a knock down price. They all regard 8 million as a fairer price. We've had a bargain.

In all seriousness, what would you value Etheridge at? Nowhere near 8 million I'd say. Always looks like he's got a mistake in him.

In my opinion Smithies was bought as Number 1 goalie. By god we're gonna need one next season. I'm happy with this bit of our business. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Agree the best keeper will start the season based on training and pre-season games, I predict that will be Alex Smithies!

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:40 pm

Ruislip Blue wrote:I have many QPR mates. To a man, they are devastated to lose him, especially for such a knock down price. They all regard 8 million as a fairer price. We've had a bargain.

A 8m valuation for Smithies seems rather generous considering it looks like Johnstone will go to West Brom for 5m. We were apparently in for him before Smithies but didn’t want to pay the money (fee/wages). As mentioned by a respected journalist.

Unless there are serious clangers by Etheridge in pre season I expect NW to stay loyal to him and give him the first opportunity.

Would have preferred a Fabianski, Foster, Robles etc to have been signed up.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:49 pm

Hey, this forum is all about opinions, and in my opinion the above is a totally unfair and unfounded statement.

Yes, his kicking was a bit suspect early on, but apart from the mix-up with Bamba against QPR, when did he make a major mistake?

I thought that he was not just a good shot stopper, but also commanded the box well, particularly as his confidence grew during the second half of the season.

To compare him with a 'mythical' £8m for Smithies is a bit ridiculous.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:19 pm

Man of Harlech wrote:In all seriousness, what would you value Etheridge at? Nowhere near 8 million I'd say. Always looks like he's got a mistake in him.

Hey, this forum is all about opinions, and in my opinion the above is a totally unfair and unfounded statement.

Yes, his kicking was a bit suspect early on, but apart from the mix-up with Bamba against QPR, when did he make a major mistake?

I thought that he was not just a good shot stopper, but also commanded the box well, particularly as his confidence grew during the second half of the season.

Yep, all about opinions and they are the opinions of QPR fans who saw him play all last season.

As a matter of interest, what would you value Etheridge at? That is, what do you think we'd get for him if he was to be sold? I'd guess at one to two million

Good bit of business by the club giving him a new contract by the way :clap: :clap:

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Man of Harlech wrote:In all seriousness, what would you value Etheridge at? Nowhere near 8 million I'd say. Always looks like he's got a mistake in him.

Agree with this. Etheridge was good last season. We had a lot of clean sheets but that needs to reflect the back FIVE not just the keeper. His kicking was very poor he improved that somewhat but still it's not up to standard.

I've been told I'm an Etheridge hater just because I rate Smithies more highly. But just because one player is better than the other, it doesn't mean the other one isn't good at all. I personally would pick Smithies. But both 'keepers will get a chance to prove themselves and that's how it's supposed to be. I just think Smithies' ability will shine more.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:56 pm

Etheridge for me was brilliant last season. We got promoted with him in sticks and I hope we stay up with him in goal.

Won me over.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Etheridge made a few howlers last season derby and reading spring to mind and he was dropped at one point. Smithies for Mendez

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:11 pm

Me not Mendez ffs

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:13 pm

The manager should stick with NE as the man was great last season and deserves the number 1 jersey

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:53 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:

Agree with this. Etheridge was good last season. We had a lot of clean sheets but that needs to reflect the back FIVE not just the keeper. His kicking was very poor he improved that somewhat but still it's not up to standard.

I've been told I'm an Etheridge hater just because I rate Smithies more highly. But just because one player is better than the other, it doesn't mean the other one isn't good at all. I personally would pick Smithies. But both 'keepers will get a chance to prove themselves and that's how it's supposed to be. I just think Smithies' ability will shine more.

kicking poor please explain ....

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:09 pm

My pet hate with Etheridge us distribution. Takes ages. Even if we are losing or level and need a win.
His kicking improved alot to be fair too him. He just needs to speed it up when we need a goal.

Which in the grand scheme of things. Isn't overly critical. He's done brilliant

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:36 pm

If the reports / post on here are correct then Smithies will start in goal next season as NE is away on international duties .

Unless another keeper is got in or NE is away from September that is .

For me NE should start in goal - proved a lot on here wrong after 1 bad game,but like a lot of us can improve his game for someone so young .

Thank God we never saw Camp in goal !!!

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 am

dogfound wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

kicking poor please explain ....

Got a season ticket mate? Think the whole stadium would agree his kicking was p*ss poor last season