Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THREE CITY PLAYERS WHO WOULD BENEFIT CHAMPIONSHIP SIDES?

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:40 am

Opinion: Three Cardiff City players who Championship clubs should sign
By Harry Mail

Cardiff City were last seasons’ surprise package in the Championship. Here are three of their players who second tier clubs should sign this summer-

Lee Tomlin- The experienced midfielder spent the latter part of last season on loan at Nottingham Forest and impressed for Aitor Karanka’s side. Tomlin has got genuine quality but his future at Cardiff in the Premier League is in doubt. Therefore, Championship clubs should be forming a queue to sign the former Peterborough United, Middlesbrough, AFC Bournemouth and Bristol City man.

Danny Ward- He moved to Cardiff from Rotherham United last summer after scoring 12 goals for the Millers in the Championship in the 2016/17 season. Ward played 20 games for the Bluebirds in the last campaign and bagged 4 goals. It is unlikely that he will be a regular for them in the Premier League and he could potentially leave them this summer for the right price. The 26-year-old striker would definitely be worth a gamble by someone.

Omar Bogle- The 24-year-old striker is another who could leave the Bluebirds this summer. Bogle joined them last summer from Wigan Athletic but was shipped out on loan to Peterborough United in League One in January. He managed 38 goals in 83 games for Grimsby Town prior to moving to Wigan in 2016 under Paul Hurst, who is now the manager of Ipswich Town. It will be interesting to see if Hurst shows an interest in reuniting with his former Grimsby frontman. Bogle is not proven in the Championship yet but would offer teams another option and a plan B going forward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: THREE CITY PLAYERS WHO WOULD BENEFIT CHAMPIONSHIP SIDES?

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:46 am

For me, all of those players would benefit Championship sides but personally I would keep hold of Lee Tomlin for now and give him a chance early on

He's undoubtedly got the talent and hopefully he will come back fit and raring to prove the doubters wrong

If not, thankfully the Ejector Seat into the Championship stays 'live' for loan deals until 31st August! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:23 am

Tough call to let those three go, I guess it will depend on the business Warnock conducts before the close. I am actually a big fan of Ward. I know it’s Premier League but before injury his ratio was better than Zohore and seemed to fit our system. Bogle too, if it wasn’t for the silly red card vs Bristol pissing Warnock off and earning him a ban - I think he could have materialized given we had no other choice at the time. He’s definitely a handful for opposing defenders. I’d likely send him out to Championship til Jan and keep Ward as backup. Tomlin has been wearing blue a lot on the golf course haha I’m sure he wants to be a part of Warnock’s plans. He’s got the skill it’s just his work rate and fitness that need to catch up... I think there are a few names missing that could benefit from a Champ loan move - Harris and Jazz (if we sign a RB).

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:20 am

I think the report should include Gary Madine.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:18 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:I think the report should include Gary Madine.

Definitely, I think Connolly too

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:08 pm

I would expect Ward to stay and be part of the squad.

I think Tomlin and Bogle will be either moved on or loaned though.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:20 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I would expect Ward to stay and be part of the squad.

agree with Ward ..not sure what happened with Bogles loan last season..?..only 4 starts for Peterborough doesnt sound great..

the Tomlin one is very intereseting..Forest seemed keen but have brought in about 5 players already ,one for 13 mill..will he turn up for pre season interested ?..has Warnock already written him off ..?..and if not in our squad are there any more managers out there willing to risk signing him..?
its crazy because looking at the transfer market if he would fulfil even 75% of his potential he would be worth 10 mill plus

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:03 pm

dogfound wrote:

agree with Ward ..not sure what happened with Bogles loan last season..?..only 4 starts for Peterborough doesnt sound great..

the Tomlin one is very intereseting..Forest seemed keen but have brought in about 5 players already ,one for 13 mill..will he turn up for pre season interested ?..has Warnock already written him off ..?..and if not in our squad are there any more managers out there willing to risk signing him..?
its crazy because looking at the transfer market if he would fulfil even 75% of his potential he would be worth 10 mill plus

I thought Bogle looked decent but I get the feeling something happened (not the red card) and warnock went off him very quickly.

Tomlin I just don't see warnock using at all, if he did I think it would be at the top of the midfielder three and Reid or Paterson seem to have that covered now.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:45 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I thought Bogle looked decent but I get the feeling something happened (not the red card) and warnock went off him very quickly.

Tomlin I just don't see warnock using at all, if he did I think it would be at the top of the midfielder three and Reid or Paterson seem to have that covered now.

i dont think he will be in our squad either..