Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Salute Japan

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:45 am

What a game last night! The second half was the best 45 minutes I have seen in years and Japan were an absolute credit to the game. They may have lost and be out of the competition because they went for the winner, but in my opinion they can hold their heads up high. They deserve far more credit than was given to Russia who the day before played for penalties from the kick off.

Re: Salute Japan

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:29 am

Completely agree. They were superb and gave everything. Russia going through leaves a bad taste with how they played. Yes. I know it’s just another way to play the game and yes I know it’s a results based game. No one over there is complaining if they are a Russian fan. But they were so frustratingly negative. I actually felt sorry for Spain who did try their best.

Penalties suck to go out on but compare that to Denmark Croatia. Croatia may have been off their game but did at least TRY and play a bit. I don’t think Russia really even left their half.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:24 am

welshrarebit wrote:Completely agree. They were superb and gave everything. Russia going through leaves a bad taste with how they played. Yes. I know it’s just another way to play the game and yes I know it’s a results based game. No one over there is complaining if they are a Russian fan. But they were so frustratingly negative. I actually felt sorry for Spain who did try their best.

Penalties suck to go out on but compare that to Denmark Croatia. Croatia may have been off their game but did at least TRY and play a bit. I don’t think Russia really even left their half.

If Russia tried to play they would have lost. Spain were awful and slow and laboured and got what they deserved

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:50 am

JJ1927 wrote:What a game last night! The second half was the best 45 minutes I have seen in years and Japan were an absolute credit to the game. They may have lost and be out of the competition because they went for the winner, but in my opinion they can hold their heads up high. They deserve far more credit than was given to Russia who the day before played for penalties from the kick off.

They are very fit too.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:37 am

paulh_85 wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:Completely agree. They were superb and gave everything. Russia going through leaves a bad taste with how they played. Yes. I know it’s just another way to play the game and yes I know it’s a results based game. No one over there is complaining if they are a Russian fan. But they were so frustratingly negative. I actually felt sorry for Spain who did try their best.

If Russia tried to play they would have lost. Spain were awful and slow and laboured and got what they deserved

I get that and I understand why they did it. I wouldn’t have complained if we had won a game that way. But as a neutral it was frustrating to watch. Which was my point. Whereas japan were great how they didn’t show Belgium - a far better side than Spain any fear. Yes. In the end they lost. But they led 2-0 and had they had more composure and discipline in the final stages of the game it could have been a different story.

Spain only led from an own goal. Russia had the ability to make more of a game of it against a poor Spain.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:33 pm

Back to football Spain lost because they played tippy tappy football across the park. Russia are a poor side and will lose to anyone who have a go at them. Japan on the other hand were the best football side I've seen in this world cup and would have won if they had a Morrison and Bamba.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:05 pm

There was also a story in the paper that they cleaned their own dressing room yesterday after the game and left a thank you note in Russian.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -loss.html

After the agonising nature of their last-16 defeat by Belgium, Japan's World Cup squad and their thousands of fans would have been forgiven for leaving the Rostov Arena as swiftly as possible.

A number of Japan players were in tears after being knocked out of the tournament when a late, late goal from Nacer Chadli sealed a 3-2 comeback victory for Belgium.

But, as revealed by FIFA general coordinator Priscilla Janssens on Twitter, Japan's squad went to extra lengths to thank their hosts in Russia as they bowed out.

Sharing a picture of their spotless post-match dressing room, Janssens wrote: 'This is the Japanese dressingroom (sic) after losing to Belgium in the 94' minute.

'Thanked their fans in the stadium, cleaned up everything (bench and dressingroom) and spoke to media. Even left note with 'thank you' in Russian.

'What an example for all teams!! Privilege to work with!'

Japan's fans were also pictured collecting rubbish from the stands moments after watching their side crash out in the most dramatic of circumstances.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:12 pm

Moderators Note

I've cleaned up this thread of some posts that were somewhat off topic, this has potential to be a decent thread, so tided it up a little.

Gavin

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:43 pm

redbird wrote:Back to football Spain lost because they played tippy tappy football across the park. Russia are a poor side and will lose to anyone who have a go at them. Japan on the other hand were the best football side I've seen in this world cup and would have won if they had a Morrison and Bamba.

Absolutely. They were always vulnerable from set pieces and crosses. They aren’t known for their height sadly. They were great to watch though and clearly a credit to the tournament.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:00 pm

Credit to Japan, had they more composure they would have put Belgium away. BUT I thought Belgium used totally the wrong game plan. They tried to play the"Spanish tippy tappy way" which with their players strength, height, power, yes together with pace & skill was totally the wrong way. I thought they would end up the same way as Spain. Loads of possession but nothing to show for it. Then I realised Martinez is their coach. I think I've seen something similar somewhere before. :roll: It wasn't until he made changes and they went more direct did they have any cutting edge.
Interesting comment on tv by Rio Ferdinand. Gary Lineker tried to be clever at half time by stating Belgium spent more time in opponents half than any other team in the first half. Ferdinand quickly replied by saying makes no difference if you don't score Gary! I've seen that before somewhere too! :bluebird:

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Belgium never give up .