Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Ryan Giggs

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:16 am

Sven wrote:
Cardiffblue92 wrote:Giggs could have played for England if he wanted to and would have easily got into that side, but he chose to play for Wales. Even though Fergie stopped him playing in a lot of our games he still played for us, supports us and identifies as Welsh. People are just looking for excuses not to support him and to say you won't support the team whilst he's our manager is just ludicrous.

Giggs has never really done himself any favours with the Welsh support, has he? :?

On a personal basis, I can understand why Giggs referred to England as "we" as he was brought up in t'North, played for England Schools and has most of his links there

Wales fans were never going to like it but it's what they've inherited with a manager who is all about himself! ;)

Very true, I guess I'm just of the opinion that now he is our manager just to get behind him and the team and support them as best we can...no one wants a divided fan base!

And with the whole "we" debacle, fair enough on paper it looked like he was referring to himself as English, but in the context of the conversation, he was talking from an England managers perspective...so I don't really buy into that argument that he was referring to himself as an Englishman.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:13 am

TheHangedMan wrote:
Cardiffblue92 wrote:Giggs could have played for England if he wanted to and would have easily got into that side, but he chose to play for Wales. Even though Fergie stopped him playing in a lot of our games he still played for us, supports us and identifies as Welsh. People are just looking for excuses not to support him and to say you won't support the team whilst he's our manager is just ludicrous.

I don't think the issue is that people don't support him, it's more a case of they just don't respect him. I have no respect for Ryan Giggs for various reasons, but that doesn't mean I don't want Wales to do well, of course I do.

I would just prefer it if he wasn't our manager as he obviously divides opinion which then deflects from us being stronger together.

agree in theory about him dividing opinion but there are plenty out there that didnt want / still dont like Coleman and give him zero credit for our achievements...
and some ill informed shit stirrers out there that push half truths and lies while calling themselves fans.. { applies to our club too }

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:26 am

Cardiffblue92 wrote:
Sven wrote:

Giggs has never really done himself any favours with the Welsh support, has he? :?

On a personal basis, I can understand why Giggs referred to England as "we" as he was brought up in t'North, played for England Schools and has most of his links there

Wales fans were never going to like it but it's what they've inherited with a manager who is all about himself! ;)

Very true, I guess I'm just of the opinion that now he is our manager just to get behind him and the team and support them as best we can...no one wants a divided fan base!

And with the whole "we" debacle, fair enough on paper it looked like he was referring to himself as English, but in the context of the conversation, he was talking from an England managers perspective...so I don't really buy into that argument that he was referring to himself as an Englishman.

I don't think he was referring to himself as an Englishman but as a Briton

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:28 am

Sven wrote:

Matter of opinion Sven, not one I hold as a regular Welsh fan home and away since 1992.

He missed friendlies to help prolong his Club career, is that realy so bad? He was a World Class player playing for a Conference level national side, if anyone thinks Bale would have been any different they are kidding themselves IMO.

Following Wales during my life in the main has been shit, Giggs gave me something to look forward to and a chance to watch a World Class player during many direct qualifying campaigns and I respect him for that, 68 caps tells me that people who say he never cared are wrong.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:51 am

RV Casual wrote:
Sven wrote:

Matter of opinion Sven, not one I hold as a regular Welsh fan home and away since 1992.

He missed friendlies to help prolong his Club career, is that realy so bad? He was a World Class player playing for a Conference level national side, if anyone thinks Bale would have been any different they are kidding themselves IMO.

Following Wales during my life in the main has been shit, Giggs gave me something to look forward to and a chance to watch a World Class player during many direct qualifying campaigns and I respect him for that, 68 caps tells me that people who say he never cared are wrong.

:thumbup:
bought my red wall ticket, going to Denmark {will be shocked if ticket availability goes beyond the highest criteria } .

Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:09 am

dogfound wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

I don't think the issue is that people don't support him, it's more a case of they just don't respect him. I have no respect for Ryan Giggs for various reasons, but that doesn't mean I don't want Wales to do well, of course I do.

I would just prefer it if he wasn't our manager as he obviously divides opinion which then deflects from us being stronger together.

agree in theory about him dividing opinion but there are plenty out there that didnt want / still dont like Coleman and give him zero credit for our achievements...
and some ill informed shit stirrers out there that push half truths and lies while calling themselves fans.. { applies to our club too }

I was Coleman's worst critic after the first few games he took charge, mainly based on the fact that he was a jack b*stard and my prejudice came to the fore, based solely on that.

He made me eat humble pie and I stated this on the Radio Wales phone in a couple of times, even calling for him to stay after we bombed out of the WC qualifiers. It doesn't matter how good your players are, you need a manager to glue them together and Coleman did that, unlike Argentina recently.

Giggs is a different kettle of fish, I just do not respect him.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:24 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

I was Coleman's worst critic after the first few games he took charge, mainly based on the fact that he was a jack b*stard and my prejudice came to the fore, based solely on that.

He made me eat humble pie and I stated this on the Radio Wales phone in a couple of times, even calling for him to stay after we bombed out of the WC qualifiers. It doesn't matter how good your players are, you need a manager to glue them together and Coleman did that, unlike Argentina recently.

as a footballer...or over the affair..?

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:39 pm

dogfound wrote:

Ryan didnt have a choice mate..born in Wales with welsh parents.
i think the common misunderstanding comes from the fact he respresented England at schoolboy level which he qualkified for by being a pupil in an English school.

This is also another misunderstanding or so I was led to believe.

He qualifies for Wales via his birth and mother. As he was adopted by his English dad he could have represented England.

Adoption in the UK gives full rights between parent and child.

If you found out you were a multi-millionaires child but were adopted by another family you would have NO rights to any inheritance should they die without a will.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:51 pm

Wayne S wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Ryan didnt have a choice mate..born in Wales with welsh parents.
i think the common misunderstanding comes from the fact he respresented England at schoolboy level which he qualkified for by being a pupil in an English school.

This is also another misunderstanding or so I was led to believe.

He qualifies for Wales via his birth and mother. As he was adopted by his English dad he could have represented England.

Adoption in the UK gives full rights between parent and child.

If you found out you were a multi-millionaires child but were adopted by another family you would have NO rights to any inheritance should they die without a will.

you need to stop being led then..
sorry Wayne but we are talking about football rules not the law regarding inheritence or parental rights..

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:38 pm

dogfound wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

Whilst the affair doesn't help, we're all entitled to our private lives, it's his general attitude to Welsh football that I don't respect.

1. He never turned up for friendlies, Bale does.
2. His punditry and press conferences send me to sleep.
3. I see no fire or passion in his belly.

I just have no respect for him.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:49 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

Whilst the affair doesn't help, we're all entitled to our private lives, it's his general attitude to Welsh football that I don't respect.

1. He never turned up for friendlies, Bale does.
2. His punditry and press conferences send me to sleep.
3. I see no fire or passion in his belly.

I just have no respect for him.

2 and 3 i get...
1] dont think it fair to compare with Bale....a] rules have changed regarding players turning up for internationals...b] there are now designated international breaks where club teams do not play..
having said that Bale has been absent for 3 of the last 5.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:30 pm

I'd actually rather one of our current English players to be manager over the welsh Giggs, at least they turn up for games.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:55 pm

Completely made up story that Giggs could of played for England.

He played for England school boys because that’s where he went to school and those are the rules. But he’s said many times he had no option to play for England him and his family are all welsh.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.skysport ... gland-talk