Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Best away fan experience FSF winners again

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:31 am

http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/away-fa ... -their-say :thumbright:

Posted by The FSF

5th July 2018

Away Fans Survey 2017-18: fans have their say...

Derby County fans PA 36158971
The FSF continues to campaign on behalf of away supporters and in the 2017/18 season we asked away fans to help record their experiences once more.

Our Away Fans Survey, completed by almost 3,800 away fans, asked travelling supporters for feedback on pricing, access, stewarding and many other facets of their away days.

As you’ll see below, we’ve pulled together data from those clubs that were rated the highest by visiting fans, scored with an average out of 10.

Once again Cardiff City, previous winners of the FSF Away Day of the Year, performed well scoring 8.04. That score was the highest in the country, beating their Welsh rivals Swansea City, who ranked the highest in last season’s Away Fans Survey.

Cardiff City was the most-liked away day in the Championship, while it was Southampton that were rated highest in the Premier League. Fleetwood Town finished top in League One and Chesterfield were rated highest in League Two.

The Away Fans Survey has led to real improvements on away days - anonymised data from the survey is shared with clubs looking to improve key areas of their away supporter experience. Additionally, the data is available to FSF affiliate and associate members to help them learn more about the away end at their clubs.

FSF deputy chief executive David Rose said: "We must say a big thank you to all the away fans who took the time to complete the survey last season. The feedback they provide is extremely important.

"There’s been some huge progress on how away supporters are received in the last few years, with some great initiatives developed by clubs and sponsors.

"There are an increasing number of clubs where away fans are no longer an afterthought, but there’s still a lot of areas for improvement across the country and we’ll continue to fight for better treatment."

Away Fans Survey 2017-18 results...

Premier League:

7.67 Southampton
7.63 Swansea City
7.57 West Bromwich Albion
7.08 Leicester City
7.06 Tottenham Hotspur

Championship:

8.04 Cardiff City
7.63 Preston North End
7.62 Fulham
7.48 Reading
7.33 Burton Albion

League One:

7.75 Fleetwood Town
7.69 Plymouth Argyle
7.64 MK Dons
7.53 Bury
7.22 Blackpool

League Two:

7.62 Chesterfield
7.52 Coventry City
7.43 Crewe Alexandra and Yeovil
7.41 Notts County
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Best away fan experience FSF winners again

Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:27 am

Good news I think our club does a very good job and would hope that it will encourage away fans to return year after year (if in the same division). If I lived in someone else for example Manchester of London, a trip down the Cardiff with a newish stadium and good facilities, safe environment, friendly faces and lots to do in South Wales....I’d look forward to it too.

I know we have a good choice of food in the stadium burger vans, food outlets selling burgers hotdogs etc but I would absolutely love it if they had a baguette bar! They don’t need to complicate it....just 3 or 4 choices of baguette with drink meal deal or something. They can be already prewrapped to speed up cues etc. Sometimes when I come down to the match and feel hungry the last thing I want is a pie or burger etc. But not sure how many other people would buy from this sort of place?

Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:54 am

I'm hell bent on making sure this award is a hatrick we never scored. :twisted:
meet me by Greggs on match days and we together will obliterate the 'best experience for away fan's' tag. :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:00 pm

Last time we were in the Premier League the club was given a payment of I think £200,000 to use as they like to help away fans.

Most clubs used it to benefit their own fans travelling to away games - Stoke I think paid for away travel on official coaches to be free all season and I think other clubs used it to subsidise travel or away ticket prices for their own fans.

Our club however I believe chose to spend it on improving the facilities for away fans visiting our stadium rather than using it to help City fans who travel away.

Some might say that the club had their priorities badly wrong that season.

They will no doubt point to these sorts of award and say that it was the right decision.

Does anyone know if there is a similar payment again now that we are back in the Premier League and if so how the club intend utilising it this time?

More improvements to benefit away supporters coming to Cardiff?

Or perhaps using it for the benefit of their own supporters?
Last edited by davids on Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:00 pm

So by that measurement we must also be the only club in the country that treat the away fans better than the home fans.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:17 pm

JJ1927 wrote:So by that measurement we must also be the only club in the country that treat the away fans better than the home fans.

Remember when we played Newcastle a few seasons ago we had a choir on the pitch at half time singing "The Bladen Races" to make them feel welcome. :o

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:21 pm

davids wrote:Last time we were in the Premier League the club was given a payment of I think £200,000 to use as they like to help away fans.

Most clubs used it to benefit their own fans travelling to away games - Stoke I think paid for away travel on official coaches to be free all season and I think other clubs used it to subsidise travel or away ticket prices for their own fans.

Our club however I believe chose to spend it on improving the facilities for away fans visiting our stadium rather than using it to help City fans who travel away.

They will no doubt point to these sorts of award and say that it was the right decision.

Does anyone know if there is a similar payment again now that we are back in the Premier League and if so how the club intend utilising it this time?

we did have a couple of games that had free transport if you went with one of the travel clubs..Nowich was 1 if my memory serves me correct..and i remember the tickets at anfield being subsidised { by possibly a tenner } might have been another game as well ?
of course this time there is a 30 quid ceiling on away tickets.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:47 pm

dogfound wrote:
davids wrote:Last time we were in the Premier League the club was given a payment of I think £200,000 to use as they like to help away fans.

we did have a couple of games that had free transport if you went with one of the travel clubs..Nowich was 1 if my memory serves me correct..and i remember the tickets at anfield being subsidised { by possibly a tenner } might have been another game as well ?

I think if I remember we had free travel to Swansea with the Supporters Club. You may be right about Anfield but I can't remember a free trip to Norwich although I do remember a free trip to Ipswich on a Tuesday night a few seasons ago.

Even if you are right which you may well be it still leaves a lot of change from £200,000!

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:10 pm

I preferred Ninian park when we used to chuck bottles of piss at them :laughing6:

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:31 pm

Bluebina wrote:I preferred Ninian park when we used to chuck bottles of piss at them :laughing6:

:lol:

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:40 pm

Bluebina wrote:I preferred Ninian park when we used to chuck bottles of piss at them :laughing6:

:laughing6: it was minus 8.04 in those days

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:44 pm

HERE HERE

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:48 pm

davids wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I think if I remember we had free travel to Swansea with the Supporters Club. You may be right about Anfield but I can't remember a free trip to Norwich although I do remember a free trip to Ipswich on a Tuesday night a few seasons ago.

Even if you are right which you may well be it still leaves a lot of change from £200,000!

You would hope other clubs will see that you treat away fans decent that they will make efforts to do same but going on some grounds ive been to like wolves its not possible inside ground! but stewards may treat us better? :old:

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Who the hell voted for Reading? Awful sterile ground with fans to match.

There are many things that our club is doing right but we need to do more for our own away fans as a priority to show that our efforts are appreciated, which I'm sure is the case. Our away support has been vital and I think for folks who have been there through thick and thin should be looked after. Stoke and the jacks have done this and I'm sure there are others too but for me and over many seasons it has needed to be addressed as sometimes it seems we are just taken for granted. We do a good job with oppo away fans and also incentives for home fans but we now need to look after our own fantastic away fans.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:29 pm

I'm amazed by this.

Only Fulham, Wolves and Preston saw their teams win here and Preston brought 150 and Fulham 600.

For the majority of our home games the ground was only just over half full, the atmosphere awfull, the away end is in the corner, they have no interaction with home fans in terms of banter etc.

Assuming the food outlets are the same as the home end the beer is shit and overpriced.

I've always thought the CCS must be a crazy experienice for an away fan but clearly not.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:31 pm

davids wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Everyone had it mate, it was free travel for all travel club groups but the tickets were £45,

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:32 pm

RV Casual wrote:I'm amazed by this.

Only Fulham, Wolves and Preston saw their teams win here and Preston brought 150 and Fulham 600.

For the majority of our home games the ground was only just over half full, the atmosphere awfull, the away end is in the corner, they have no interaction with home fans in terms of banter etc.

Assuming the food outlets are the same as the home end the beer is shit and overpriced.

I've always thought the CCS must be a crazy experienice for an away fan but clearly not.

Crap not crazy.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:53 pm

davids wrote:
dogfound wrote:

i am 100% on Norwich coz i was peed off about it being free transport and not a subsidy on the ticket as i dont do coaches.
the Ipswich game i vaguely remember but that wasnt in the prem..

Swansea did 20- quid away tickets for the entire season last year...there was criteria which im not sure about but still a big help.