Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FINANCIAL FAIR PLAY AND TANS 66 MILLION WRITE OFF

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:16 am

All seems fine with the rules, which is great, though in the premier league, almost seems a joke, and pointless, with the super rich club owners, they can write off debt at will, and sponsor stadiums etc, using there companies and friends if needed.

Does it work? and is it fair? I like so many, don't really understand it, just know it exists..

And after discussions with the Cardiff City Supporters Trust, WalesOnline understands the club have also received confirmation they are compliant with the Premier League's profitability and sustainability rules — known commonly as Financial Fair Play (FFP) — ahead of the new season.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=198014#p2029546

Re: FINANCIAL FAIR PLAY AND TANS 66 MILLION WRITE OFF

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:59 am

He hasn't wrote off debt. Dont get it confused with converting to equity.
He just owns more shares in a more profitable business (compared to last year).

Clever move and this is why he's a good businessman

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:10 am

bluebird7291 wrote:He hasn't wrote off debt. Dont get it confused with converting to equity.

Correct. Converting debt to equity is converting a debt payable by the club into shares so the club will no longer ever have to pay that money back. It doesn`t impact of the profit and loss account so has no bearing on the Profitability and Sustainability rules which are based on what loss a club makes on average over a rolling 3 season period.

What I had confirmed to me yesterday and what I said in the Trust statement was that the club was compliant with the P&S Rules for the season just ended on 31 May 2018 and had had that confirmed officially by the EFL. Some of the media got a bit confused with the wording of that.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:22 am

bluebird7291 wrote:He hasn't wrote off debt. Dont get it confused with converting to equity.

Understood, but in this case as good as, as this will be 66 million, no longer owed to him on the balance sheet? but debt written off, is not the correct terminology.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:33 am

droyal wrote:

Understood, but in this case as good as, as this will be 66 million, no longer owed to him on the balance sheet? but debt written off, is not the correct terminology.

Technically yes. If he sold the club it would then be taken into account. If the club is in a healthy position he'd probably look to make between 80M< to at least break even.