Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Aron Gunnarsson has signed a 1 year deal ' Plus

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:23 pm

Just watched Warnock’s pre season exclusive on Cardiff City player and he’s confirmed Gunnars has signed a 1 year deal. Also Ralls and Mozzarella have extended their contracts.

Cardiff City FC is pleased to announce that a number of first team players have signed new deals to extend their stays with the Club.

Having reported back for pre-season training this week, three of the younger members of City's squad were first to put pen to paper.

PLUS :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Joe Ralls, Callum Paterson and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing have all commited their future to the Bluebirds until the summers of 2022 (Ralls & Paterson) and 2021 (Mendez-Laing), respectively.

Cardiff City Skipper, Sean Morrison, has also followed suit, with his new deal keeping him at Cardiff City Stadium until the summer of 2022.

The Club has also rewarded the efforts of long-serving professionals, Lee Peltier and Matthew Connolly, with new deals running until the summer of 2020.

Meanwhile, Brian Murphy, whose contract expired this summer, has been given a new one-year deal with the Club.

Speaking to Cardiff City TV on Friday afternoon, Neil Warnock said: “We’ve worked really hard this week to get a number of the lads’ contracts tied down ahead of the new season.

“I’m delighted we’ve been able to do this and I thank Tan Sri Vincent, Mehmet and Ken for their support throughout the summer as well: we’ve done brilliantly.”

The Gaffer went on to reveal that Aron Gunnarsson - who is currently enjoying time off after skippering Iceland at the FIFA World Cup finals in Russia - has verbally committed to another year with the Bluebirds.

“Aron [Gunnarsson] wanted to repay the Club, and Vincent, for the support he’s had here over the past seven years," said Neil.

"He wants to help us try and stay in the Premier League, and I think that’s great.

“We had a chat six weeks ago [ahead of the World Cup] and he told me he wanted to stay; now we’re looking forward to him coming back in to the group.”

Executive Director & CEO, Ken Choo, said: "As the 2018/19 season draws closer, we're delighted to see a number of our key players agree to extended contracts.

"We have been keen to reward the huge effort that the squad put in last season, while it's also fantastic for the Club to secure the futures of several key players here at Cardiff City.

"Following on from this morning's statement, once again we'd like to thank Tan Sri Vincent Tan for his support and commitment, as we continue to put everything in place for the Premier League.“
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Gunnars has signed a 1 year deal

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:29 pm

Have we signed an Italian defender? Great news on Gunnars. He's had too much flak on these boards. I really think he's got something to prove.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:32 pm

Didn’t mention anything about signings other than looking to get some loan signings.

I’m delighted with Gunnars too, people on this Messageboard seem to have short term memories. He was outstanding for us before his injury, and Warnock said himself that he’s massive in the dressing room.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:Didn’t mention anything about signings other than looking to get some loan signings.

I’m delighted with Gunnars too, people on this Messageboard seem to have short term memories. He was outstanding for us before his injury, and Warnock said himself that he’s massive in the dressing room.

He is just being sarcastic :laughing6:

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:43 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:Didn’t mention anything about signings other than looking to get some loan signings.

Absolutely right. They also forget the fine game he had against Forest after his return from injury which included the winning goal and some great defensive work. Glad he is staying with us.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:03 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:Just watched Warnock’s pre season exclusive on Cardiff City player and he’s confirmed Gunnars has signed a 1 year deal. Also Ralls and Mozzarella have extended their contracts.

Tell him to do one ,one year so he can run his contract down again ffs

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:10 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:Just watched Warnock’s pre season exclusive on Cardiff City player and he’s confirmed Gunnars has signed a 1 year deal. Also Ralls and Mozzarella have extended their contracts.

Warnock said they agreed verbally that he’ll sign a new deal. He didn’t mention it was only a year though,but I might have missed that bit.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:16 pm

norms76 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Warnock said they agreed verbally that he’ll sign a new deal. He didn’t mention it was only a year though,but I might have missed that bit.

He says at around the 4 minute mark ‘The good news which I haven’t been able to say before is that he’s committed himself for another year’

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:23 pm

Just let him go

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:27 pm

Nemo wrote:

Absolutely right. They also forget the fine game he had against Forest after his return from injury which included the winning goal and some great defensive work. Glad he is staying with us.

Brilliant news

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:
norms76 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

He says at around the 4 minute mark ‘The good news which I haven’t been able to say before is that he’s committed himself for another year’

Ahhh ok mate, my video was stop starting (always does on my iPad) like I said, it was probably me that missed it. :thumbup:

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:49 pm

If we sign or loan Marko Gruljic then our midfield is basically the same as last year which is a concern.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:59 pm

theclaw wrote:If we sign or loan Marko Gruljic then our midfield is basically the same as last year which is a concern.

I wouldn’t worry just yet mate. I’d worry if the window shut and that’s all we have but I think Warnock will still get another MF as well as Gunner and Gruijic.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:14 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Exactly Wez

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:15 pm

norms76 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Good news for who, Cardiff City or Gunnarsson. I think the latter so he can run his contract down again. 1 year ffs and no resale value, I wouldn’t bother with him
Last edited by Juventus Blue on Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:16 pm

john52 wrote:Just let him go

This ^^^^^

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:17 pm

City Slicker wrote:
Nemo wrote:

Brilliant news

Really??? For who exactly?

Juventus Blue wrote:
norms76 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Good news for who, Cardiff City or Gunnarsson. I think the later so he can run his contract down again. 1 year ffs and no resale value, I wouldn’t bother with him

Agree

According to the club website Gunnarson has verbally committed to staying. Nothing about him signing yet.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:19 pm

Gaynor Straight wrote:

According to the club website Gunnarson has verbally committed to staying. Nothing about him signing yet.

Well I hope it stays that way, just verbal

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:44 pm

Gunnarsson s best days are behind him ..we need more pace in centre mid... let him go if he signs and Grujic and one new midfielder...what happens if the newbie gets injured..we are back to what we had last year..which clearly isn t good enough for the prem..

Sorry my opinion and we all have our own...would be let Gunnar go and get Grujic and two new midfielders in..with legs

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:50 pm

Juventus Blue wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
Nemo wrote:

Brilliant news

Well for Cardiff City of course, or were you confusing them with La Vecchia Signora?

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Gunners is worth his place in our squad of 25, but Peltier and Connelly also given new contracts until 2020??

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:15 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:Gunners is worth his place in our squad of 25, but Peltier and Connelly also given new contracts until 2020??

Very unhappy Connolly given a contract, he'll be out of his depth in the Premier

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:36 pm

City Slicker wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:Gunners is worth his place in our squad of 25, but Peltier and Connelly also given new contracts until 2020??

Very unhappy Connolly given a contract, he'll be out of his depth in the Premier

Warnocks boy is Connolly. He’s had him at QPR and likes having him around. Can’t see him getting much game time mind.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:39 pm

Great news on Ralls, NML and Paterson, also makes sense to keep Murphy about.

I don't agree with the others getting new deals if I'm honest.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:43 pm

City Slicker wrote:
Juventus Blue wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
Nemo wrote:

Brilliant news

Well for Cardiff City of course, or were you confusing them with La Vecchia Signora?

1 year deal is 100% NOT good for Cardiff City and only benefits Gunnarsson so I’d say that’s very bad news, nothing good about it at all, absolutely nothing.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:09 pm

Juventus Blue wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
Juventus Blue wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
Nemo wrote:

Brilliant news

1 year deal is 100% NOT good for Cardiff City and only benefits Gunnarsson so I’d say that’s very bad news, nothing good about it at all, absolutely nothing.

It does look that way doesn’t it. It’s like if we go down he’s off but if we stay up he might stay in another year. It only benefits Gunner and he’s not showing any commitment really.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:17 pm

norms76 wrote:
Juventus Blue wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
Juventus Blue wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
Nemo wrote:

Brilliant news

It does look that way doesn’t it. It’s like if we go down he’s off but if we stay up he might stay in another year. It only benefits Gunner and he’s not showing any commitment really.

Not sure I read it like that.

With many on here saying he's not worth a contract. I see it as the club saying he's not worth a long term contract.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:19 pm

Wayne S wrote:
norms76 wrote:
Juventus Blue wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
Juventus Blue wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
Nemo wrote:

Brilliant news

Not sure I read it like that.

With many on here saying he's not worth a contract. I see it as the club saying he's not worth a long term contract.

He wanted out if we didn’t go up. I see it exactly like that, if we go down he’s off.