Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Everton away

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:52 pm

Really fancy this away ,sat ko what do you reckon the chance of it being moved to another time or day ? :bluescarf:

Re: Everton away

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:33 pm

frank skinner wrote:Really fancy this away ,sat ko what do you reckon the chance of it being moved to another time or day ? :bluescarf:

Great away experience, fabulous ground, full of character. I hope it stays on a Saturday.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:44 pm

Been there before it’s a proper old ground :old: just hope it’s not moved around :occasion5:

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:30 pm

Can’t wait myself, although as a Toffee and a Bluebird I’d be happy with a 0-0! I’m also hoping it’s not moved. Gotta make the most of the grand old lady before the Bramley Moore dock move. Goodison is so special. My old man took me for years from age 5, in the Gladys and lower bullens. St Luke’s for a cuppa and a cake, watch the game and back home on the train. Great memories as the old cast iron and wooden bullens Rd stand literally rocked with emotion. Great memories. Great club. I’m now making those same memories with my lad at Cardiff City now.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:09 pm

Fabulous ground???.its an absolute shit hole that's virtually derelict.the clubs been in the top flight since 1954. It looks like they never spent any money on the ground I went for a half time piss it was like being in a Victorian school toilet.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06 pm

It's a shit tip and should be knocked down. Never been there myself.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:24 pm

Definitely doing this trip.
Everton always my 2nd team so want to visit Goodison with the city before it goes.
Few of us making a weekend of it.
Probably nearing the end of it's days but no doubt held in the same esteem by Evertonians as Ninian was for me.
And in its day one of the great league grounds.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:37 am

It’s not a shit hole. It’s a Victorian ground, it’s ancient. A bit like Highbury that fact it’s not modern gives it its charm. They've spent loads on it over the years, mostly on a limited budget as unlike recently they weren’t money bags. The back of the Gladys street is the steepest stand in Europe and has the best atmosphere of any stadium in the world in my view. Although the move to the new stadium is needed (to push the club on and because the infrastructure in Walton is hopeless for a big stadium), evertonians fear the atmosphere won’t be the same. New grounds can be a bit soulless - I don’t include CCS in this, the noise at Wolves and reading was deafening! Goodison is a classic ground, as had more top flight games played here than any other stadium and is a big part of English football history. I’d recommend this as an away day and to check out the city too, it’s magic and us Scousers are a friendly rabble.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:15 am

It's a fantastic stadium and a top awayday. Even the youngsters appreciate it's history and character and you can't replicate that with a swanky new bowl. I think it will be missed when it eventually goes much like Upton Park was a massive loss for West Ham. I would have liked to have seen NP further developed over a new site but it was impossible. These old grounds as something to be treasured and can never be replicated so visit them while you can. And the Blue Dragon on Goodison Road does a mean half&half curry.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:05 am

GrangeEndStar wrote:It's a fantastic stadium and a top awayday. Even the youngsters appreciate it's history and character and you can't replicate that with a swanky new bowl. I think it will be missed when it eventually goes much like Upton Park was a massive loss for West Ham. I would have liked to have seen NP further developed over a new site but it was impossible. These old grounds as something to be treasured and can never be replicated so visit them while you can. And the Blue Dragon on Goodison Road does a mean half&half curry.

I really like Goodison, a proper old fashioned ground.

There are not that many left and it has great tradition and atmosphere

However, as it is so “crammed in” and everything seems like a tight squeeze for the away fans, I wouldn’t like to be there is there was any sort of health and safety incident like a fire etc

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:46 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:It's a fantastic stadium and a top awayday. Even the youngsters appreciate it's history and character and you can't replicate that with a swanky new bowl. I think it will be missed when it eventually goes much like Upton Park was a massive loss for West Ham. I would have liked to have seen NP further developed over a new site but it was impossible. These old grounds as something to be treasured and can never be replicated so visit them while you can. And the Blue Dragon on Goodison Road does a mean half&half curry.

I really like Goodison, a proper old fashioned ground.

There are not that many left and it has great tradition and atmosphere

However, as it is so “crammed in” and everything seems like a tight squeeze for the away fans, I wouldn’t like to be there is there was any sort of health and safety incident like a fire etc

Fear not mate, it’s a designated ground and fully certificated. The capacities and escape times are all calculated. It is more crammed in as the new bowls have more leg room, but goodison is very safe. Lots of vormitories to get out into and the away end is not as steep as the Street end. It takes ages filing out of the Gwladys!

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:16 am

skiprat wrote:Fabulous ground???.its an absolute shit hole that's virtually derelict.the clubs been in the top flight since 1954. It looks like they never spent any money on the ground I went for a half time piss it was like being in a Victorian school toilet.

agree..but i thought you were on strike for our red period.?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:23 am

#1ScouseBluebird wrote:It’s not a shit hole. It’s a Victorian ground, it’s ancient. A bit like Highbury that fact it’s not modern gives it its charm. They've spent loads on it over the years, mostly on a limited budget as unlike recently they weren’t money bags. The back of the Gladys street is the steepest stand in Europe and has the best atmosphere of any stadium in the world in my view. Although the move to the new stadium is needed (to push the club on and because the infrastructure in Walton is hopeless for a big stadium), evertonians fear the atmosphere won’t be the same. New grounds can be a bit soulless - I don’t include CCS in this, the noise at Wolves and reading was deafening! Goodison is a classic ground, as had more top flight games played here than any other stadium and is a big part of English football history. I’d recommend this as an away day and to check out the city too, it’s magic and us Scousers are a friendly rabble.

originally yes was one of my favourite grounds . but since the taylor report no..as youve said theyve spent loads trying to modernise it and ended up with a faux traditional ground..the away end was the worse of the 19 last time we were up in the prem...

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:41 am

Been outside it but never in it.

One of few away grounds I haven't done that I fancy doing.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:20 pm

If your refering to me I was. Went to Everton v Norwich as I stated an absolute shit hole.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Goodison is not a pretty groung but it does have its own character unlike most of these modern bowls.

It was 1 of not many awaydays I enjoyed in the EPL.