Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Callum Paterson '

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:18 am

Callum Paterson signing a new four year deal :thumbright: :bluebird:

What ever happens Paterson will be worth a good deal of money even if he failed in the Premier, which I don't think he will, good business by Warnock :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Callum Paterson '

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:57 am

Where is Warnock intending to play Paterson because I just don't think he's a midfielder,certainly not for the Premiership

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:15 pm

soldierblue1880 wrote:Where is Warnock intending to play Paterson because I just don't think he's a midfielder,certainly not for the Premiership

He is going to be our missing striker.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:29 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
soldierblue1880 wrote:Where is Warnock intending to play Paterson because I just don't think he's a midfielder,certainly not for the Premiership

:shock:
I feel you’ve had 1 to many

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:33 pm

Bay Blue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Desserts lol

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:54 pm

Bay Blue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Why can’t he play striker? He plays the second striker role for us now. He runs all day, is good in the air, is strong enough to hold the ball up, is a quality finisher; if he can learn to play with his back to goal and link the play decent, he could become a very good striker in the future.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Bay Blue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Why can’t he play striker? He plays the second striker role for us now. He runs all day, is good in the air, is strong enough to hold the ball up, is a quality finisher; if he can learn to play with his back to goal and link the play decent, he could become a very good striker in the future.

Exactly Ross.

Perhaps not the most fastest player but he is big, strong and knows where the goal is.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:09 pm

We are in the unforgiving Premier now, please wake up.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:18 pm

Bay Blue wrote:We are in the unforgiving Premier now, please wake up.

Well I don’t trust Paterson to retain possession well enough as a centre midfielder at Premiership level. We could do a lot worse than pushing him further forwards to utilise his attributes more effectively and be a nuisance to defenders imo.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:20 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Bay Blue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Exactly Ross.

Perhaps not the most fastest player but he is big, strong and knows where the goal is.

Totally agree, pushing him further forwards simply plays to his strengths more. I don’t think his passing is good enough to get away with playing him as a normal centre midfielder, so pushing him further forwards makes perfect sense I think.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:55 pm

I think he'll be an impact sub

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:55 pm

Either as a false 10 (marauding attacking midfield) like last season or a wingback with 3 CBs. Have a feeling Cunningham may well start on the left of a back 3. Pato plays wingback for Scotland. I genuinely hope he starts as I think he was outstanding last season and a total handful. My fave player from the promotion campaign. Have a feeling he has a very bright future. Not many ‘full backs’ that have an eye for goal like Callum. Good call about pushing him on, Warnock clearly saw he was a capable midfielder so why not. He’s young and will develop into a diamond very shortly. Good business getting my him signed on again.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:14 am

I think he will alternate with Mendez-laing for a place on the right hand side of midfield

The way the squad is shaping up i see us playing a 4231 formation

Two holding midfielders
Ralls/Gunnarson/damour/Grujic

Left midfield
Hoilett/murphy

Centre Attacking midfield
Reid/Tomlin

Right Midfield
Patterson/Mendez-laing

Zahore or a new striker in front of them

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:55 am

He will be a very useful utility player- Warnock will use him where he feels he is needed -if at all- depending on the opposition. We may see him coming off the bench more often than starting.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:35 pm

For me, Paterson showed his class in the cup game against Man City. He can play behind the main striker with his determination, phyisicality and ability in the air all being utilized. I remember him screaming at players that were off the pace and not closing down - Zohore being one of them (he was still underfit after coming back imo). Paterson provides that gritty leadership further up the field. If we don’t sign Grujic, I would love to see Warnock mold him into a box-to-box CM. One thing is for certain this season we have multiple personalities that can swap out to change games. It is going to be an interesting season for sure...