Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Last time we earned promotion

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:22 pm

I was just wondering when was the last time before last season that we really earned promotion. By earned I mean not throwing money at it to get promotion and doing it by real team work and good management? Surely the years before Sam, how long ago was that?

Re: Last time we earned promotion

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:37 pm

How much did Malky spend to gain promotion compared to Warnock?

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:43 pm

Gaffer wrote:How much did Malky spend to gain promotion compared to Warnock?

Not really comparable, different times, transfers fees have massively increased. The season we went up under Malky we easily outspent anyone in the championship and were the big spenders. Under Warnock last season I would say our budget was one of the smallest considering transfer fees and wages etc

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:54 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

Not really comparable, different times, transfers fees have massively increased. The season we went up under Malky we easily outspent anyone in the championship and were the big spenders. Under Warnock last season I would say our budget was one of the smallest considering transfer fees and wages etc

we spend 6m on a striker we didnt use :lol:

definitely wasnt one of the smallest, sure we over achieved but not like we were minnows was it

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:12 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I was just wondering when was the last time before last season that we really earned promotion. By earned I mean not throwing money at it to get promotion and doing it by real team work and good management? Surely the years before Sam, how long ago was that?

Probably the 1998/1999 season when we went up finishing 3rd under Frankie Burrows Barmy Army.

It was actually a good season and we had a big rivalry with Cambridge and Brentford believe it or not :lol:

It was the same season when loads got locked out of Brentford just after Christmas, Believe by Cher and Maria by Blondie were top songs at the time :lol:

The next season we came straight back down, the Sam took over.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:37 pm

RV Casual wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I was just wondering when was the last time before last season that we really earned promotion. By earned I mean not throwing money at it to get promotion and doing it by real team work and good management? Surely the years before Sam, how long ago was that?

Probably the 1998/1999 season when we went up finishing 3rd under Frankie Burrows Barmy Army.

It was actually a good season and we had a big rivalry with Cambridge and Brentford believe it or not :lol:

It was the same season when loads got locked out of Brentford just after Christmas, Believe by Cher and Maria by Blondie were top songs at the time :lol:

The next season we came straight back down, the Sam took over.

That's the answer I was looking for :occasion5: thanks

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:20 pm

I still think we earned promotion under Malky he only spent £10m that season

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:54 pm

ReeseBluebird1927 wrote:

I still think we earned promotion under Malky he only spent £10m that season

I think people are missing the point or I just didnt make it very well :lol: I'm not knocking other managers achievements.

However the Malky season we spent 10m that season got you a hell of a lot more for your money than it did last season. Transfers fees especially in the championship have rocketed. That season we were the big spenders in the league and last season we were not.

Most of our promotions in recent times have come after throwing money at it which I have no problem with, still a tough job and many teams have spent and failed.