Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Exactly how Cardiff City are ensuring the future's bright

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:23 am

Exactly how Cardiff City are ensuring the future's bright

Sunday 8th July 2018

By Ian Mitchelmore

Here's a closer look at everything Cardiff have done so far to build for the future...

Long-term deals for new recruits

Warnock has already added winger Josh Murphy, full-back Greg Cunningham, attacker Bobby Reid and goalkeeper Alex Smithies to his ranks ahead of the new season.

And it's been notable that all four of those stars have signed lengthy deals with the Bluebirds.

Murphy, Smithies and Reid all put pen to paper on four-year contracts when moving to South Wales earlier this summer while Cunningham signed a three-year deal.

It's a far cry from Warnock's earlier days at Cardiff City Stadium where short-term contracts were a common theme.

And the age of the new stars is also significant given that of the four new additions, Smithies is the oldest at just 28.

Retaining the 2017-18 stars, also on long-term deals

Winger Junior Hoilett - who was Warnock's first signing at the club - had a deal that lasted until the end of the 2016-17 season when he first joined before later signing a one-year contract extension.

But Hoilett's latest contract - his third in 20 months - will see him remain with Cardiff until the summer of 2021.

Others have signed on too. Left-back Joe Bennett and goalkeeper Neil Etheridge have committed their futures to the club, with both now set to stay in the Welsh capital for the next three years.

And on Friday, the Bluebirds announced new deals for seven stars, including captain Sean Morrison.

In an unprecedented announcement, the club confirmed Morrison, Joe Ralls, Callum Paterson, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Lee Peltier and Matthew Connolly have all signed contracts extensions while goalkeeper Brian Murphy has taken up the offer of a new one-year deal after seeing his previous contract expire on June 30.

And to top it all off, there was the additional boost that Gunnarsson has verbally agreed to stay with Cardiff for another year.

Debt

Having converted £12.6m of the club's debt to shares in May last year and around £7m in May 2016, the Bluebirds announced that at the end the most recent financial year, Tan had written off a further £66.7m of the club's debt.

It means the Bluebirds' overall debt - which was revealed to stand at £115m by Companies House in March - has been slashed by more than 50% to around £50m in the last financial year.

Executive Director & CEO, Ken Choo in a statement on behalf of Cardiff City, said: “We would once again like to thank Tan Sri Vincent Tan for his generosity.

“Following our recent successes on the pitch, we are extremely pleased that these continue to be mirrored by financial stability off it.

“As fans, staff and players alike eagerly await the upcoming 2018/19 Premier League campaign, we also look forward to the continuation of this ongoing process in the future.”

So it's proven to be another major financial boost for the Bluebirds as Tan continues to deliver on his promise to reduce the club's debt levels.

Rewarding fans

The Bluebirds played in-front of a packed crowd in the final game of the 2017-18 season against Reading, a match that ultimately saw Warnock's men clinch promotion with a 0-0 draw.

And it was the only league match in which Cardiff played to a sell-out crowd on their home patch last term, with the FA Cup fourth round clash with Man City being the only other occasion where every seat was occupied at Cardiff City Stadium last season.

But the club were determined to reward those who were there through thick and thin by giving existing season ticket holders an early bird window to purchase new season tickets for the 2018-19 campaign at the same price they paid for the 2017-18 season.

Speaking in March, Ken Choo said: "We have looked at attendance figures for the last three years and crowds are up. Two seasons ago, after our first 17 matches, the average gate was 14,497.

Cardiff City fans run onto the pitch to celebrate winning promotion to the Premier League (Image: Huw Evans Picture Agency)
"Last season, after a similar time, it was 16,140. This season, again after the first 17 matches, the average is 19,045.

"So we have built it up and that is important."

And the Bluebirds have already sold more season tickets for the upcoming campaign than they did for their previous crack at the big time.

The numbers are increasing, and long may it continue.

Fronting up after the rebrand

Just hours after the Bluebirds sealed their place back in the big time, Tan was quick to admit that his decision to change the club's home shirt from blue to red for their previous Premier League campaign was "a mistake".

"I must admit I made a mistake early on changing the colour, but I removed the mistake. There will be no more tinkering with the colours," he said after the 0-0 draw with the Royals.

The kit colour change was one that understandably angered a large section of the Cardiff faithful, so much so that some still choose to stay away.

But time can be the best healer, and with the Malaysian writing off a hefty portion of the club's debt as well as giving Warnock finances to spend in the transfer market, many supporters it seems are increasingly willing to move on and help the club continue to pull in the right direction.

And all of these factors combined have provided Cardiff City fans with the belief that the future's very bright indeed, regardless of what happens next term.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Exactly how Cardiff City are ensuring the future's brigh

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:25 am

Great to see the club where we are today .lots of clubs have come down from the prem and been in a mess look at Leeds over the years.
Tan ruined the club by changing the proud identity of the club and really angored a lot of people. The fact he new he had cocked it up and had the balls to say so and change it back to blue galvanised us again United us again.
This is a passionate club with energy drive and enthusiasm always has been.
Think tan now understands more now.

He's still not everybody's cup of tea I understand that each has there own opinion and entitled to it.

For me apart from the colour change and the early cirus he created which has now gone things look good
Back in blue brilliant but to look even further forward people said we forced him to change back to blue which yes we did but we thought he'd lost interest in us.
After all he did ask the so called arse hole fans representatives 100 mill for red and they lied and said the majority city fans said yes.
So those idiots are to blame to asleep as tan

The Langston thing went on and on tan sorted it like other financial issues.
The most pleasing thing presently is we now have a club sent of 50m not over 100m so that shows me tan is still committed.
Takes a big man to hold his hand up and say sorry I made a mistake and he did.

So no we also look forward to the new premier league season in blue with half the debt and that is good.
It's good being a ccfc fan again isn't it long may it continue. :bluescarf:

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:07 pm

I agree a big thank you is in order. Many clubs, including those just down the road, have owners who are more interested in taking than investing and putting right

Much has been said about the fact that our debt is now only £50m and these are our LIABILITIES on the cash sheet

Let’s also consider our ASSETS, our playing squad, according to transfermkt our playing staff is listed at being worth £50.7m

So for the first time I can remember our club is actually ahead of the game on the balance sheet

- and with £200m of premier money to follow

Really good feeling

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Two good posts above but we’ll see half bakedalaska come along now crying because Tan hasn’t apologised to him about his mistake.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:55 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Two good posts above but we’ll see half bakedalaska come along now crying because Tan hasn’t apologised to him about his mistake.

He has not apologised at all.

If someone came up to you and punched you in the face then a few years later said I should have not done that would you consider it an apology?

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:26 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Two good posts above but we’ll see half bakedalaska come along now crying because Tan hasn’t apologised to him about his mistake.

If someone came up to you and punched you in the face then a few years later said I should have not done that would you consider it an apology?

Yes. But I don't get the analogy.

Were you expecting a yes or a no.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Wayne S wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

I wasn't expecting anything although a public apology would go a long way.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:53 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

On this basis, I’m assuming every fan has personally written to VT to thank him for his extreme generosity, including yourself. It works both ways and at the end of the day, no one was killed due to his actions.

I suppose I’m lucky in that I can find a positive in most things in life - such as the fact we’re playing in the Premier League in blue - as I’m only getting the one. I’ve no time for constant negativity.

“There’s only one Vincent Tan!” :thumbup:

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:27 pm

:ayatollah: about time.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:38 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

On this basis, I’m assuming every fan has personally written to VT to thank him for his extreme generosity, including yourself. It works both ways and at the end of the day, no one was killed due to his actions.

I suppose I’m lucky in that I can find a positive in most things in life - such as the fact we’re playing in the Premier League in blue - as I’m only getting the one. I’ve no time for constant negativity.

Vincent Tan came into our club when we were knocking on the Premier door. He saw a good business opportunity but made a mess of it. It was all his own doing so why the f**k should I or anyone write to him because of his own mess?

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:46 pm

Vincent Tan came to our club when we were knocking on the door of bankruptcy! I for one am extremely pleased he is here. This man has put his own hand in his own pocket! Thanks VT!!

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Vincent Tan came into our club when we were knocking on the Premier door. He saw a good business opportunity but made a mess of it. It was all his own doing so why the f**k should I or anyone write to him because of his own mess?

:lol:

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:18 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

This is probably one of the strangest comments I have ever seen on here and that is saying something. A bit disturbing really.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:16 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Yeah don’t forget whilst we were lighting tapping on the premier leagues door.

The tax man and lots of other people were trying to kick the f*cking hinges off ours wanting money we didn’t have.

Apart from the rebrand that’s been reversed he’s been a brilliant owner.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:57 pm

pick and shovel wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

This is probably one of the strangest comments I have ever seen on here and that is saying something. A bit disturbing really.

In what way?

It was not like we were in the dungeon league going nowhere was it? I wonder if Tan would have shown an interest if that was the scenario. I doubt it.

I will elaborate to answer the other post. Tan by paying the outstanding tax bill picked up a club ready for Premier football. We were rated a mid table Premier team then but unfortunately had a crap manager in Dave Jones who could not see us over the line. Tan was investing in a club that could have made him millions. I really can't see what is disturbing about that.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:17 pm

If it were not for Vincent Tan and his deep pockets we would not be where we are today. Who else would have stumped up the cash??
Thank you Vincent.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:34 pm

How sad that someone is just so full of negativity and can't move on.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:44 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:How sad that someone is just so full of negativity and can't move on.

I've moved on and have just accepted the way Tan is.

Full of negativity am I. Then go quote where I have been negative.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:51 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:

Here’s you being negative

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:55 pm

I can quote others victor lol

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:58 pm

:ayatollah:
Bay Blue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Here’s you being negative

That's not being negative but being truthful.

As I have said above I've accepted the way Tan is and moved on. The fact I keep correcting people about it well if you have a problem with that...tough shit on you.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:59 pm

Bay Blue wrote:I can quote others victor lol

You don't even know what the word is.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:04 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Bay Blue wrote:I can quote others victor lol

You don't even know what the word is.

What negativity :lol:
You’ve had a hiding here dude

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:08 pm

But it’s only bants, no hard feelings ay :thumbup:

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:11 pm

Bay Blue wrote:But it’s only bants, no hard feelings ay :thumbup:

Don't you ever get boatrd of this forum Phillip?

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:12 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Bay Blue wrote:But it’s only bants, no hard feelings ay :thumbup:

Don't you ever get boatrd of this forum Phillip?

Your way of the mark victor :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:27 pm

I have to make a few points. Matt Connelly barely plays, Peltier, Gunnarsson, really? I'm not convinced playing happy families is the right move just because daddy wants to do things differently second time around :shock:

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:21 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:How sad that someone is just so full of negativity and can't move on.

I've moved on and have just accepted the way Tan is.

Full of negativity am I. Then go quote where I have been negative.

My point is that every time Tan is brought up on here you’re all over it like a rash banging on and on about the ‘apology’ or rather lack of in your perspective. Now that’s your opinion and that’s fine but mine is the same as most that he’s been and is being brilliant for our club bar one mistake (albeit a huge one).
You say you’ve moved on but I can’t see it but if you feel that then good for you.
I hope you enjoy the coming season mate because we should all have some fun to look forward to.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:44 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
pick and shovel wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

In what way?

It was not like we were in the dungeon league going nowhere was it? I wonder if Tan would have shown an interest if that was the scenario. I doubt it.

I will elaborate to answer the other post. Tan by paying the outstanding tax bill picked up a club ready for Premier football. We were rated a mid table Premier team then but unfortunately had a crap manager in Dave Jones who could not see us over the line. Tan was investing in a club that could have made him millions. I really can't see what is disturbing about that.

A mid table Premier team ? How do you work that one out ? Anyway, although you hate Tan I'd be interested to know how you rate our previous owners. Just to put things into perspective you understand.