Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

God save the queen

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:21 am

I bet after all this world cup euphoria,every single premiership game cardiff city play this season we will have "god save the queen" sang to us and at us more than usual, lets just hope france win and we can respond with "allez les bleus" come on the blue's

Re: God save the queen

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:36 am

not sure what all the hype is about, Belgium will be World champions!!

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:53 am

arri potta wrote:not sure what all the hype is about, Belgium will be World champions!!

Hope so , I had a tenner on them pre-tournament at 10/1. :laughing6:

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:40 pm

GSTQ is the British national anthem, England should rightfully be singing Jerusalem which is the English national anthem :bluebird:

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Could never get my head around jerusalem been in englands green and pleasant land always thought it was in israel but they do lay claim to lots of things.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:38 pm

Blueboys1927 wrote:GSTQ is the British national anthem, England should rightfully be singing Jerusalem which is the English national anthem :bluebird:

Correct, and I detest GSTQ, not because of any nationalistic reason but on class grounds.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:06 pm

England don’t have a national anthem per se. They sing God Save as there isn’t anything else! I believe that it’s thought of as a bit of a nod to the empire and so is losing popularity. Jurusalem on the other hand is a hymn, music by Parry (as a ww1 pick me up) and words taken from a William Blake poem. The Jurusalem bit is reference to Christ supposedly visiting England as a kind of heaven on earth. It’s from the poem ‘Milton.’ Bits of England are lovely, but for me Wales is God’s very own country. I always associate Jurusalem with English rugby and cricket.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Agadoo should be the English Anthem.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:52 pm

#1ScouseBluebird wrote:England don’t have a national anthem per se. They sing God Save as there isn’t anything else! I believe that it’s thought of as a bit of a nod to the empire and so is losing popularity. Jurusalem on the other hand is a hymn, music by Parry (as a ww1 pick me up) and words taken from a William Blake poem. The Jurusalem bit is reference to Christ supposedly visiting England as a kind of heaven on earth. It’s from the poem ‘Milton.’ Bits of England are lovely, but for me Wales is God’s very own country. I always associate Jurusalem with English rugby and cricket.

At least it's a lot better than that "Sweet Chariot" dirge

Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:54 pm

City Slicker wrote:
#1ScouseBluebird wrote:England don’t have a national anthem per se. They sing God Save as there isn’t anything else! I believe that it’s thought of as a bit of a nod to the empire and so is losing popularity. Jurusalem on the other hand is a hymn, music by Parry (as a ww1 pick me up) and words taken from a William Blake poem. The Jurusalem bit is reference to Christ supposedly visiting England as a kind of heaven on earth. It’s from the poem ‘Milton.’ Bits of England are lovely, but for me Wales is God’s very own country. I always associate Jurusalem with English rugby and cricket.

At least it's a lot better than that "Sweet Chariot" dirge

You’re not wrong there mate, Swing low is a complete load of tosh. It’s all they sing at Twickenham.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:55 pm

Don’t they sing Land of Hope and Glory at Comonweath Games?

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:07 pm

Blueboys1927 wrote:GSTQ is the British national anthem, England should rightfully be singing Jerusalem which is the English national anthem :bluebird:

The British National Anthem that has a verse about "crushing the rebellious Scots"? ;) :o

Quote (Verse 6):

"Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!"

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/n/nation ... yrics.html

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:53 pm

Sven wrote:

The British National Anthem that has a verse about "crushing the rebellious Scots"? ;) :o

Quote (Verse 6):

May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
God save the Queen!"

Fair point and apart from the dreadful homage to a single human being as an anthem to unite the country that line is deplorable. Completely agree. In my opinion we need something different fast!

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:09 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:Don’t they sing Land of Hope and Glory at Comonweath Games?

At the last games on the Gold Coast, the English team sang Jerusalem. They thought that GSTQ gave too much of a nod towards the old Empire and that offence that might cause, so voted for this as an ‘unofficial’ Anthem. The subject of an English national anthem has been discussed in parliament with nobody able to agree. Madness.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:31 am

Sven wrote:

Quote (Verse 6):

May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
God save the Queen!"

That’s a good point and I didn’t even know the anthem mentioned that.
The sweaty socks I’ve met over the years all hate the British anthem and would never sing it. They love their Flowers of Scotland.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:21 am

What do republican English people sing when the anthem is being played?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:45 am

WelshBluebird wrote:What do republican English people sing when the anthem is being played?

something by morrisey probably

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:11 am

WelshBluebird wrote:What do republican English people sing when the anthem is being played?

They just don't join in.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:15 am

If England want to use GSTQ at their games, then it's up to them. It would be strange if they changed it now.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:36 am

Sven wrote:

Quote (Verse 6):

May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
God save the Queen!"

never leave facts get in the way of an agenda .. :lol: :lol:
yes people made up their own verses including the scots but that is not and has never been part of GSTQ.
having a source doesnt make it accurate..you of all pple should know this..

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Sven wrote:

Quote (Verse 6):

May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
God save the Queen!"

A verse that was never officially adopted.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:29 pm

#1ScouseBluebird wrote:

At the last games on the Gold Coast, the English team sang Jerusalem. They thought that GSTQ gave too much of a nod towards the old Empire and that offence that might cause, so voted for this as an ‘unofficial’ Anthem. The subject of an English national anthem has been discussed in parliament with nobody able to agree. Madness.

What Madness song do you think would make a good Anthem?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:46 pm

Jock wrote:
#1ScouseBluebird wrote:

One step beyond!

I can remember when Scotland played GSTQ at the '74 World Cup, and later. Northern Ireland still do.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:54 pm

if England get beat by Croatia, Belgium or France, should we sing their national anthems against them in the prem hahahah

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Theblues2 wrote:if England get beat by Croatia, Belgium or France, should we sing their national anthems against them in the prem hahahah

Can you scribble down the words to the Croatian anthem for me?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:32 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:
Jock wrote:
#1ScouseBluebird wrote:

One step beyond!

I can remember when Scotland played GSTQ at the '74 World Cup, and later. Northern Ireland still do.

we { Wales }used to have it at home games , not sure when it stopped but were still playing it in early 80s

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:36 pm

Think they should adopt Vindaloo by that fat bloke.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:49 pm

My opening post seems to have gone off track my point was that the english prem clubs will be goading us because we are welsh by singing "god save the queen" more than usual after the world cup all the history etc of g.s.t.q. i know all about.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Plymuff Bloobird wrote:Think they should adopt Vindaloo by that fat bloke.

Agadoo works for me.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:35 pm

City Slicker wrote:
Theblues2 wrote:if England get beat by Croatia, Belgium or France, should we sing their national anthems against them in the prem hahahah

Can you scribble down the words to the Croatian anthem for me?

Just sing la la la to it, same as you do when your shown up for your political naivety :lol: