Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' LEE TOMLIN? '

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:50 pm

The reasons why Lee Tomlin could still play a role for Cardiff City in the Premier League -

By Dominic Booth

Sunday 8th July 2018

Even the greatest admirer of Lee Tomlin would admit his debut season for Cardiff City didn't go to plan.

Signed for £1.5million from arch-rivals Bristol City almost exactly 12 months ago, big things were expected of the Bluebirds' then marquee summer signing. After the departure of club legend Peter Whittingham, it was thought Tomlin could fill his creative boots as the missing piece of the puzzle for Neil Warnock's impending promotion charge.

There were several reasons why it just did not work for Tomlin, some of his own fault, others just unfortunate.

But Tomlin is back training with Cardiff and, it seems for the time being, part of Warnock's plans.

Why did it go wrong for the mercurial Tomlin and could he yet be a surprise part of Cardiff City in the Premier League. We take a look...

Why hasn't it worked so far?

The court case that hung over Tomlin for the first few months of his time at Cardiff was an unwanted distraction. There were also issues over his fitness, with Warnock unconvinced his No.10 could last 90 minutes week-in, week-out.

Also Cardiff simply seemed more potent without Tomlin in their ranks, more suited to a direct 4-3-3 in which the attacking impetus came from flying wingers Junior Hoilett and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, not the more methodical lock-picking playmaker in Tomlin.

He had to wait patiently for his chance and, to be fair, showed in flashes what he's capable of doing.

There were a few bewitching turns, the odd genius through-ball, a stunning last-gasp equaliser at Reading and a rapport with Omar Bogle that was in its infancy when both players were sent out on loan in January.

With the subsequent signings of Bobby Reid and Josh Murphy in forward positions, it seems unlikely that Tomlin will play a star role for Cardiff in the Premier League. A permanent move to Nottingham Forest has been mooted.

But plenty of fans still believe the best is yet to come from the mercurial No.10.

And, as Tomlin returned to Cardiff City training for the first time in six months, there are some reasons why that could make sense.

Cardiff fans on Tomlin :bluebird:

This was the response from Bluebirds fans on Facebook.

Gareth Cookie Cross: "I think Tomlin should stay and get fit, be a great creative player for us."

Geno Sulano: "I think Tomlin will surprise a lot of people, Warnock's not stupid."

Laurence Williams: "Just keep Tomlin, he's got the skill that might suit the Prem."

Robert Hodson: "I'd keep Bogle and Tomlin."

The right ability for the Premier League?

Despite the fact Reid and Murphy have arrived, with others to follow, there is the feeling among some Bluebirds fans that Tomlin has unfinished business as a Cardiff and a Premier League player.

Tomlin earned a move to Bournemouth in 2016 — off the back of some scintillating form for Middlesbrough — but didn't quite get the opportunity.

There is an argument that his intricate style is more suited to the top flight, where you get a little more time in possession than the hurly-burly of the Championship.

Cardiff are also going to need goals and there's a chance Warnock will make room for Tomlin's mystery, most likely as an option from the bench. It's likely the Bluebirds will need something extra to breach to very best Premier League back fours, who are used to dealing with pace and directness.

You certainly cannot doubt whether Tomlin's ability on the ball is of Premier League standard, but the big question mark still remains over his fitness.

Even there, the Premier League may offer more latitude, because the schedule isn't quite so rigorous as the Championship and 'luxury' players have thrived in the top flight before.

A connection with Reid?

If Cardiff fans liked trolling their Bristol City rivals when Tomlin crossed the Severn Estuary a year ago, then they absolutely loved it when Bobby Reid recently followed suit.

Many have touted Reid as a Tomlin upgrade, able to play in the No.10 role but with a bit more pace and energy.

But is there a chance Warnock could use them both in a double-pronged attacking midfield?

Again, it would give Cardiff a different sort of threat to the sheer pace they've utilised under Warnock in the past even if Tomlin lacks the defensive work rate the Yorkshireman asks for.

The jury is out on this one, but the former Bristol City men have clearly have a rapport.

More settled in second season?

After a few years that have seen many changes in his career, there is the argument to suggest, given the right support and backing by the Bluebirds staff, this will be a season for Tomlin to shine.

Warnock admitted his coaches had devised a different fitness regime for Tomlin and it was clear Aitor Karanka got the formula right in the second half of last season, as Tomlin registered four goals and three assists in 12 Forest starts.

That's the kind of form Cardiff would love to see from arguably one of their most gifted players. Does that merit a second chance?

An in-form Tomlin could also spare the Bluebirds forking out on someone like Robert Snodgrass, who has been linked with a switch to South Wales this summer and, even on loan, would cost a fair amount in wages.

Many will argue Snodgrass is a cut above and that Tomlin has spurned his chance in a Cardiff shirt. But there are others who have seen at close quarters what Tomlin can do and that brings optimism.

It will boil down to pre-season and whether he can suitably impress the Bluebirds' backroom staff behind the scenes.

It feels as though the pendulum could swing either way on this one. The onus is on Tomlin to convince Warnock he deserves a Premier League chance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' LEE TOMLIN? '

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:51 pm

OPINIONS / WOULD YOU KEEP LEE TOMLIN FOR THE PREMIER LEAGUE?

Wages now increased to £30,000 plus a week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:10 pm

To be fair, it was journalists and supporters rather Neil Warnock who said Tomlin's time here was up. I recall Warnock only said he was going out on loan to find firm and fitness?

Hopefully a lesson learned by the boy and he comes back determined to prove a point. If that happens, we could have another Premier League performer in our ranks!

Hope it works out. He can obviously play! :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:12 pm

Yes Annis. Without a doubt keep him. He’s that extra midfield body and gives us something completely different. By Warnock’s own admission he’s the most talented footballer at the club. When we need some inspiration, esp from the bench, Tomlin is the man. But.....for his we’ll documented personal struggles I wouldn’t be surprised to see him return to the East Midlands. Good luck to him either way, I rate him.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:56 pm

Always been a big fan of Tomlin so I hope he stays with City and becomes a huge success in the Premiership

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:23 pm

I would keep him personally however I'd be very surprised if he ends up in Warnocks 25 man squad.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:07 pm

Really hope he gets fit and the club insist on him moving down here.
He's a talented player whose close control and vision might well be better suited to the Prem.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Looks pregnant in that training picture :o :o

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:39 pm

keep him, even from the bench his points could prove prove vital as it did last season vs reading.a replacement would certainly cost more than 1.5 million or 3 million whichever it was!

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:41 am

Get fit Tomlin you are no use to any side unless you are fit. Pull yourself together man, there are millions of people who would like to have the opportunity that you have.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:43 am

davids wrote:Looks pregnant in that training picture :o :o

I must be having triplets then. Plenty of pre season left to trim up a bit

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:26 am

:lol:
Nah it’s his ribs.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:28 am

in all fairness he looked much better holding his stomach in for the golf pic..bit unfair of the club to picture him in a kit really.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:02 am

Fat ?Nah he's just big boned :laughing6:

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:05 am

Look how lean every player around him looks, its pathetic he cant look after himself.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:16 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Look how lean every player around him looks, its pathetic he cant look after himself.

you cant seriously expect him to look as fit as the rest..he has community hours to complete

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:46 pm

dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Look how lean every player around him looks, its pathetic he cant look after himself.

you cant seriously expect him to look as fit as the rest..he has community hours to complete

I'm not sure if your joking or not :lol:

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:24 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I’m sure he is.
Was a pathetic excuse given by a few on here for his continued weight and fitness problems.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:19 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I’m sure he is.
Was a pathetic excuse given by a few on here for his continued weight and fitness problems.

correct, how the hell can 80 hours community work turn someone who is a pro athlete into the michelin man.