Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ben Woodburn

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 am

Just read this today - The Reds have received loan offers from Norwich and Sheffield United for 18-year-old Wales forward Ben Woodburn. (Goal)

Surely he would get game time with us? We look a bit light up top and every time I seen him play he has looked good as well as the Welsh connection.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Ben Woodburn

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:41 am

Warnock has already bought Reid...he s looking for a big centre forwad...woodburn doesn t fit that bill

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:41 am

Liverpool would probably ask for a minimum of starts for Woodburn. I can't see him being guaranteed that at City, though would love to see him as part of the squad.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:44 am

Great player but I don't see him as a 15+ goal a season striker we need to keep us in the division. He he could bag goals in the EPL he would be playing more for Liverpool.

Also, does he really suit our style?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:49 am

Liverpool played him deeper Vs Chester. As part of the 2 holding mids. Didn't set the world alight. However Wilson scored 2 and got MoM. My Liverpool crazy mate said he was awesome. Neither are coming on loan to us.

Woodburn would benefit from a season loan with first team football in his best position.

She told me Wilson is gonna get first team action this year! Good for Wales.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:50 am

I would say he suits the style we are going for - fast counter attacking football. I seem to remember he played on the wing for Wales and Reid started more forward? I could be wrong though.

Do you think he is better than we have?

I see him better than the Championship tbh and we wont be challenging the types of Liverpoool so I don't see why not. He needs more game time and we need more goals and this lad seems to score and set them up.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:54 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:Great player but I don't see him as a 15+ goal a season striker we need to keep us in the division. He he could bag goals in the EPL he would be playing more for Liverpool.

That’s a complete myth last season only 7 players from 5 different clubs scored more than 15 goals. So this whole idea you n Ed someone to score loads is just bollocks.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:04 am

Not for me and mainly just because I don’t see how he gets game time with us, if he did it would be minimal.

From a wales point of view I would much rather see him get a full season starting in the championship than being a bit part player with us

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:07 pm

phildavies wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:Great player but I don't see him as a 15+ goal a season striker we need to keep us in the division. He he could bag goals in the EPL he would be playing more for Liverpool.

That’s a complete myth last season only 7 players from 5 different clubs scored more than 15 goals. So this whole idea you n Ed someone to score loads is just bollocks.

Completely true.

It was said we would need a 20 goal a season striker to get promoted. We didn’t and we did.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:08 pm

I dont think hes better than we got ,a good few seasons in the championship would do him well

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:36 pm

maccydee wrote:
phildavies wrote:

Completely true.

It was said we would need a 20 goal a season striker to get promoted. We didn’t and we did.

Yep and the last guy to score a lot at a small club was Charlie Austin with 19 and QPR still finished bottom that year :lol:

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:54 pm

To young to take on the prem especially with a team
Of our quality.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:29 am

They’re both Welsh Internationals,we are the Capital of Wales but don’t sign Welsh players!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:47 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:They’re both Welsh Internationals,we are the Capital of Wales but don’t sign Welsh players!

because signing players just because they are welsh is silly.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:18 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:They’re both Welsh Internationals,we are the Capital of Wales but don’t sign Welsh players!

David Vaughan was on a free transfer. Should have hit him.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:56 am

phildavies wrote:

We need someone to score enough goals to help us stay up. whether that's 10, 12 or 15. I don't see Woodburn being that person.

The idea that we should buy strikers who can't score is more bollox :)