Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ OFFICIAL: ARON GUNNARSSON “

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:35 pm

Cardiff City FC is delighted to confirm that Aron Gunnarsson has signed a new deal with the Club.

On Friday, Neil Warnock confirmed that Aron had verbally committed to another season at Cardiff City Stadium. Gunnar has now put pen to paper on a new one-year contract with the Bluebirds, running until the summer of 2019.

Having signed his new deal, the Bluebirds' longest-serving player spoke exclusively to cardiffcityfc.co.uk, saying: "It's taken a little while, but it's definitely been worth the wait.

"I always wanted to stay and I told the Gaffer that. Even though I didn't say much in the news, I just wanted to do my job on the pitch.

"It was tough work to get back, ready to represent my country at the World Cup, and for Cardiff City. Now, signing this deal has been my number one priority and I can't wait to meet back up with the boys.

"Credit to the Owner and the Gaffer, we've worked hard to get the right players in and I can see there have been good signings. It's all coming together, with the players who have been around for a while signing new deals too.

"My little boy was born in Cardiff and I've been through a lot with this Club and the fans. I just can't wait to pull on the strip again to represent the capital of Wales in the Premier League."

Re: “ OFFICIAL: ARON GUNNARSSON “

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:36 pm

Great positive words from Gunnar, glad to have him back

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:37 pm

Pleased with this.

Just means we don't have to buy a replacement, for a decent midfielder.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:01 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:19 pm

Would much prefer a younger more dynamic midfield player to come in - someone like Woods from Brentford would have added so much more to our midfield. For me, Gunnarsson's best days are well behind him.

If Grujic signs we will have almost exactly the same central midfield as last year and in my humble opinion that will not be good enough for the Premier League.

Still, Warnock hopefully knows what he's doing and Gunnar will get my full backing next season with the rest of the boys.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:22 pm

Welcome back a Gunner...have a good holiday and get yourself back to firing on all cylinders before the season starts

Best solution all round a short term contract for a highly respected decent player

With Gunnar saying that he told the gaffer he always wanted to stay, where did the "new challenge" statement come from?

Was it just a Warnock suggestion?

If he always wanted to stay then why only a one year deal? Chinese/American shop window is the only thing I can come up with. No other Premiership team has come in for him - not now, nor since he was last on display in the highest tier. Don’t get me wrong, personally I couldn’t be happier with a one year deal, providing we haven’t paid over the odds.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:28 pm

davids wrote:Would much prefer a younger more dynamic midfield player to come in - someone like Woods from Brentford would have added so much more to our midfield. For me, Gunnarsson's best days are well behind him.

If Grujic signs we will have almost exactly the same central midfield as last year and in my humble opinion that will not be good enough for the Premier League.

Still, Warnock hopefully knows what he's doing and Gunnar will get my full backing next season with the rest of the boys.

It’s certainly not the best central midfield on paper

However, It’s pretty obvious how we are going to play next season. Our 2 central midfielders jobs are going to protect the back four, harry the opposition and get the ball forward as quick as possible to our 3 speedsters up front

Ralls, Gunner and Grujic (if we sign him) will be ideal to do this

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:28 pm

1 year deal is ajoke a kick in the teeth for the club no resale value ,i would of let him go

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:30 pm

davids wrote:Would much prefer a younger more dynamic midfield player to come in - someone like Woods from Brentford would have added so much more to our midfield. For me, Gunnarsson's best days are well behind him.

We are fine. We will be bypassing the midfield

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:41 pm

Well I really hope that in his contract it stated to shave off the beard and grow some hair on top of you’re head!

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:12 pm

wez1927 wrote:1 year deal is ajoke a kick in the teeth for the club no resale value ,i would of let him go

its only a kick in the teeth if thats how you want to twist it..

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:25 pm

Not good enough for the prem though.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:29 pm

wez1927 wrote:1 year deal is ajoke a kick in the teeth for the club no resale value ,i would of let him go

Depends how you want to spin it.

If he’s not good enough then we won’t want to keep him.

If he is good enough and helps keep us up then the money from staying up will more then make up for it.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:30 pm

a 1 year deal suits everyone, he obviously doesn’t want to play championship football again hence just 1 year in case we go down, similarly the club isn’t tied to his wages if we go down.stay up and we can renegotiate next summer.
player knows the club very well, knows what warnock wants from him.
personally i’d much rather sign aron than waste 1.75 million on 31 year old bryson, obviously others disagree.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:25 pm

Couldn't agree more!! In my opinion he will have a solid preseason and will be one of our consistently strong players!! Ralls covers so much ground you need someone to hold a position and Gunnerson has built a good partnership with him!

Gk Smithies/NE

RCB Bamba
CB Morrison
LCB Cunningham

CDM Gunnerson
CDM Ralls

RWB Paterson/Richards
LWB Bennett

RA Murphy
CA Reid
LA Hoillet

I'd still play direct but down the channels get defenders turned and let these speed merchants run defences ragged!! I really dont understand if you dont rate Gunnerson, then why are you complaining that he's only signed a 1 year deal!! Surely you should be delighted!! If your proven right then we can just let go in the summer!

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:28 pm

its perfect for the club and the player

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:12 pm

Glad it's only a one year deal, let's hope he can massively up his game now.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:20 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

Why for the club? 2 year and we could of sold him or loaned hom for a fee

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:33 pm

wez1927 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Why for the club? 2 year and we could of sold him or loaned hom for a fee

To be honest we all have opinions on the matter. At first thought, I didn’t think a year was good for the club and only looks good for AG. But perhaps they know something we don’t, I mean he has had a fair few injuries and cost the club money off the field in rehab and time away from the first team. So maybe a 1 year deal was all the club could offer? Remember Warnock said “we had to wait to see if he came through the World Cup” I take that as Gunnar’s wanting an extension but Warnock and Co playing it rightfully cautious.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:23 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Glad it's only a one year deal, let's hope he can massively up his game now.

ill settle for him keeping our manager and coaches happy..

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:29 pm

maccydee wrote:

We are fine. We will be bypassing the midfield

yep..thats exactly what we do. :thumbup:

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:43 pm

dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Glad it's only a one year deal, let's hope he can massively up his game now.

Let's hope they are up to it as well. If they are relying on Gunnerson as a first choice then on their head be it.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:22 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Let's hope they are up to it as well. If they are relying on Gunnerson as a first choice then on their head be it.

youve lined it up that if we are not very good { which lets face it is likely } its all gunners fault....
if our manager wanted a different sort of midfielder he would have gone and got one..
and this up his game thing...how would you even know if he has if you cant grasp the role he has now..?
all ive read is ..more dynamic..hungrier etc etc..its like people didnt watch the games.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:25 pm

Not overjoyed by this but just seems like a sensible choice, Wez I get what you mean but he only cost us 250k which was compensation so not like we are gonna miss out on much.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:55 pm

dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:

youve lined it up that if we are not very good { which lets face it is likely } its all gunners fault....
if our manager wanted a different sort of midfielder he would have gone and got one..
and this up his game thing...how would you even know if he has if you cant grasp the role he has now..?
all ive read is ..more dynamic..hungrier etc etc..its like people didnt watch the games.

He isn't very good is the problem.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:00 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

It’s certainly not the best central midfield on paper

However, It’s pretty obvious how we are going to play next season. Our 2 central midfielders jobs are going to protect the back four, harry the opposition and get the ball forward as quick as possible to our 3 speedsters up front

Ralls, Gunner and Grujic (if we sign him) will be ideal to do this

Do you think that's an improvement and do you think that's good enough for the prem?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:02 pm

dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I watch alot of games. He can't pass, no threat going forward. He's a very one dimensional player in the sense he's a good battler but I'm sorry we need more than that!

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Well he's a Cardiff city player now so hopefully you'll all show some support.

More likely you'll be on the edge of your seats waiting for his first missed placed pass and then moan on here that: he's over the hill, injury prone, No pace, rubbish beard, shocking Tattoos, bold head, captain of a rubbish international team (that qualified for the last two major tournaments) and that he's shown no loyalty (even though he's our current longest serving player). If he has a stinker I'll happily admit I was wrong. I hope you're all ready to give him your full support as no doubt he'll put everthing on the line again for our club. We'll see!!