Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Potentially only 2 more joining??

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:04 am

Just read an article on our favourite site WalesOnline and according to Choo we can expect 2 more signings and a few departures.

Ive said it before on various platforms of how well the recruitment team has done this summer but only 2 signings left to make is concerning. Most of us agree we need Grujic leaving just 1. In my honest opinion we need...

1. Grujic
2. Right back
3. Striker

Im not confident that either Peltier or Richards can do a job week in week out for us in the premier league. As for a striker well Zohore isnt a striker who going to get you 15 goals a season which we could do with. Before people state the obvious that last season we had a number of players who contributed which is great but...

Psychologically if you know you have a striker who has the ability to score with very few chances then the pressure isnt as high as it would be if you didnt. The direct result of that would be the players can potentially try too hard to score and lose focus on the basics.

I know i could be the minority with this view but i feel we need to sign more than 2 to give us the best chance to stay up and by limiting ourselves could be something we regret later.

Re: Potentially only 2 more joining??

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:09 am

realblue82 wrote:Just read an article on our favourite site WalesOnline and according to Choo we can expect 2 more signings and a few departures.

Ive said it before on various platforms of how well the recruitment team has done this summer but only 2 signings left to make is concerning. Most of us agree we need Grujic leaving just 1. In my honest opinion we need...

1. Grujic
2. Right back
3. Striker

Im not confident that either Peltier or Richards can do a job week in week out for us in the premier league. As for a striker well Zohore isnt a striker who going to get you 15 goals a season which we could do with. Before people state the obvious that last season we had a number of players who contributed which is great but...

Psychologically if you know you have a striker who has the ability to score with very few chances then the pressure isnt as high as it would be if you didnt. The direct result of that would be the players can potentially try too hard to score and lose focus on the basics.

I know i could be the minority with this view but i feel we need to sign more than 2 to give us the best chance to stay up and by limiting ourselves could be something we regret later.

i'd like to see 5 more really.

RB
CB
CM x 2
ST

would (providing they are all good signings of course) leave us with a good squad, but cant see it happening

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:28 am

realblue82 wrote:Just read an article on our favourite site WalesOnline and according to Choo we can expect 2 more signings and a few departures.

1. Grujic
2. Right back
3. Striker

Absolutely agree

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:28 am

I agree the lack of a RB signing is confusing, clearly a weak spot. I thought maybe NW could thinking of switching to a back 3 and wingback, and trying Patto there or even NML.

Striker wise.. I don't know, at this point I'm happy with Zohore as long as Cm and RB are strengthened.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:37 am

Center mid is my biggest concern.

Even with grujic we have a midfield that couldn't keep the ball in the championship we will be totally overrun and dominated in the prem.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:03 am

Who would you suggest?

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:53 am

nubbsy wrote:Center mid is my biggest concern.

Even with grujic we have a midfield that couldn't keep the ball in the championship we will be totally overrun and dominated in the prem.

We don’t need a ball keeping midfield the way we play though

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:16 am

as a very minimum we need 2 central midfielders , we need a right back and a striker

If we don't fill those spaces (and we have plenty of time) then I will be concerned.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:55 am

1. Grujic
2. Right back
3. Striker

I agree 100%, got caught out a lot down that right hand side last year against poor opposition. Zohore doesn’t fill me with confidence week in week out and our midfield is exactly the same as last year. Defo need 3 signings

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:05 pm

joeywills98 wrote:

1. Grujic
2. Right back
3. Striker

I agree 100%, got caught out a lot down that right hand side last year against poor opposition. Zohore doesn’t fill me with confidence week in week out and our midfield is exactly the same as last year. Defo need 3 signings

Weaker we don't have Bryson :shock:

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:50 pm

1. Grujic
2. Right back
3. Striker

If I was you I would not hold my breath for a 15 goal striker. Only 7 strikers scored 15 or more in last season’s Premier League and only 15 scored more than 10 goals. Noting the names I would have thought they would have all cost upward of £30M and on salaries of at least £50k per week. I am probably being a bit conservative there too. We simply are not in that league and to sign somebody like that would have the potential to upset the team ethos and the dressing room harmony which is one of our strongest assets – no big time Charlies this time around. Psychologically it is surely better not to have to rely on one striker to score the goals - being susceptible to the risks of injury, loss of form etc.

I suspect that Warnock will again rely on people chipping in with goals right across the team as was the case last year with NML, Hoilett, Patterson, and even Morrison. Hopefully Bobby Reid and Murphy will add to that threat. Zohore’s style is complimentary with that strategy, running the channels and pulling defenders wide to make room for others. I am really hopeful that Zohore will thrive this year.

As for RB, I would love to see Cameron Coxe making a breakthrough, but it is probably too much to ask this season.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Also would love to see Coxe get a chance this season. Think he a very talented player who has bright future ahead of him

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:17 am

it would be great to see a yongster given a chance, just maybe they will step up and save the club a few bob.
All Premier league clubs will be chasing that 15 goal striker.
Its outside of our price range and always will be unfortunately.
For me a couple of midfielders are a priority, Grucic and an other.
Thought we may have picked up a free transfer as well?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:42 am

Even though he not a 15 goals per season striker i don't see why we havent approached Abel Hernadez who happens to be out of contract and has premiership experience.

I totally understand what you guys are saying with regards finding a striker who can bang in 15 goals a season. Your right it would cost a lot of money but goals are priceless in the premiership. But given how much we have spent so far i can accept that we need to prioritise other positions.

For me we need a rb and a creative midfielder.

Target for me for RB
Danny Simpson

Target for me CM
Ryan Woods
Josh McEachran
Robert Snodgrass

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:44 am

Waiting to hear who our next striker is going to be is like waiting for england to get knocked out of the world cup.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:50 am

montyblue wrote:Waiting to hear who our next striker is going to be is like waiting for england to get knocked out of the world cup.

Not long now mate, only around 11 hrs fingers crossed :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:51 am

Is there a Croatian striker we could sign on loan just for the hell of it.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:35 am

After listening to NW Q&A at Nathaniel Motors, I would expect THREE more signings.
He's definitely going to bring the 2 loan players that he's allowed and after saying he's still got £10m of the transfer budget available, I would expect him to use it, never seen a manager not use a transfer budget that he's been given.
Most satisfying quote from NW for me was that the wage budget is just over half that of Huddersfield.
IMO, they've got contracts in place that are incentive based which is really good.
Looking forward to seeing a few more signings shortly

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:06 am

NW stated a while back in an interview, whatever the budget is he will spend it!
Think he will sign 3 more, 2 loans and a permanent.
Tomlin and Bogle to go out on loan again.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:52 pm

fred keenor wrote:NW stated a while back in an interview, whatever the budget is he will spend it!
Think he will sign 3 more, 2 loans and a permanent.
Tomlin and Bogle to go out on loan again.

Warnock likes a bargain and things will happen towards the end of the transfer window. Wouldnt surprise me if he spends his money then twists Tans hand on one more "bargain" player he has found.