England...overrated And overhyped.

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby WelshPatriot » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:53 pm

So this world cup they within the 90 mins have failed to best any team within the FIFA top 20....losing to Belgium twice...yet we heared how this was their time and football was coming home.

Most over hyped team in a world cup.
WelshPatriot

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: England...overrated And overhyped.

Postby RV Casual » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:32 pm

Correct mate.

They won 3 out of 7 games in 90 minutes at the end of the day and have had one of the easiest routes to a Semi Final ever.

What we achieved by getting to the Semi Finals of the Euros was 100 times more impressive than what they have done in this World Cup.

Nobody can take it away from them at the end of the day it is what it is, but they know deep down how fortunate they have been.
RV Casual

Postby griff105 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:23 am

It's perfect they know have all the external pressure and self expectation of being world beaters.
Beating Sweden panama Tunisia. :lol:
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor
griff105

Postby bridgendbluebird30 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:05 am

It is the same every competition. Seems that much of the media works the fans up into a frenzy getting many to believe that ‘it’s coming home’.

Let’s get real, Won 3 (all to lower ranked FIFA teams, Drew 1 & (then won on pens) & lost 3. Is that a fantastic achievement? Are they hero’s? Do they deserve an open top bus parade? Probably most will know the answers but many still believe that they have had an outstanding tournament. Let’s not forget that England’s half of the draw contained none of the major teams.

England have showed potential & look promising for the future but classing them as ‘hero’s’ is perhaps one step too far.
bridgendbluebird30

Postby thomasblue » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:27 am

I think they got as far as they possibly could.
That is only because of the draw though not the team itself.

The facts dont lie

They played 4 games against a team in the top 20 in the world, lost 3 of them and won the other on penalties.

Put into perspective, if you work out the rankings comparing the national teams to its club equivalent in England they would have played

Panama #55 - Peterborough Utd
Tunisia #21 - Wolves
Sweden #24 - Aston Villa
Columbia #16 - Brighton
Croatia #20 - West Brom
Belgium #2 - Man Utd

They were 1 penalty kick away from losing to a columbia team missing by far its best player - The same as losing to Wales without Bale

They only managed to beat Tunisia in the 90th minute

9 of the 12 goals they scored were from set plays
Harry Kane scored three penalties, Kieran Trippier netted a free-kick and they scored from four corners and a free-kick routine.
That means they only scored three times from open play in six games, one of which was a lucky deflection off Harry Kane against Panama.
thomasblue

Postby englishbluebird » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:59 am

But they still finished 4th in the biggest tournament on the planet
"Like we give a f**k about the Carling Cup"-6Bysedd
englishbluebird

Postby thomasblue » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:27 am

englishbluebird wrote:But they still finished 4th in the biggest tournament on the planet

In all honesty with the games played i would fancy city to get through that draw aswell
thomasblue

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:55 am

englishbluebird wrote:But they still finished 4th in the biggest tournament on the planet

Ten years back we finished second in our biggest domestic cup competition. Did'nt mean we were any good though. England have been ridiculously hyped up by the media in every tournament since 1966. Guarantee it will all start again for the next Euro competition, and it already looks as if they are well on the way to winning the 2022 World Cup. They managed to win a few games against the likes of Panama and Tunisia. This was a great opportunity for them given the draw, and the big boys getting knocked out unexpectedly early, and yet once again they have failed. Personally, I don't ever see football coming home again.
Steve Zodiak

Postby palerider » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:19 am

I am English and have become so fed up of the hype that I didn't watch the play off game. We are at best average and a million miles from winning anything of note for at least 4 years until the under 17s come through
palerider

Postby MoodyBluebird » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:20 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:

Ten years back we finished second in our biggest domestic cup competition. Did'nt mean we were any good though. England have been ridiculously hyped up by the media in every tournament since 1966. Guarantee it will all start again for the next Euro competition, and it already looks as if they are well on the way to winning the 2022 World Cup. They managed to win a few games against the likes of Panama and Tunisia. This was a great opportunity for them given the draw, and the big boys getting knocked out unexpectedly early, and yet once again they have failed. Personally, I don't ever see football coming home again.

Steve, as you said this hyping up of the English team has gone on forever. I would imagine though that your average English fan lives in hope rather than expectation. It's the media who blows things way out of proportion and this coupled with their sense of entitlement (football's coming home crap) is what really gets under the skin.

Having said that, when it all goes pear-shaped as it inevitably does, the looks on the faces of your Linekers etc and the subdued tones of Tyldesley makes it all seem worth it. I don't mean that to sound churlish because the majority of English fans are not boastful or condescending to other teams. It is solely the media that causes me to vent my spleen. You will find more column inches in one day on Ingerland that was given to Wales throughout the whole Euros 2016 tournament.
MoodyBluebird

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:59 am

However you like to dress it up you have become a laughing stock thanks to your media and pundits.

It gone from Coming Home to Your Comming Home to Are you Home yet.
Bakedalasker

Postby Whistler » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:01 am

I agree with most of the above.

England have an average side. I would say that only two players have excelled during this World Cup, Pickford and Maguire. The whole team has been over hyped after the first two games against very poor teams. There are a number of players which look average or below average, Lingard, Ali, Young, Rose, Henderson and as for Stirling looked out of his depth, Kane looked very average against the quality teams, they do not possess any players who would be considered world class. I am sorry but I am not endeared to the England Lovetrain. I will say though they have a very good corner routine.

Not looking to be petty but Wales in the Euros were a quality act with two of our lads being named in the team of the tournament. :old: :wave:
Whistler

Postby englishbluebird » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:27 am

I am not saying England are an elite side . Far from it but I don't see how they've become a laughing stock . The media will also be dragging the same players down next week. They had a favourable draw but still beat a good team in Colombia and Sweden who had won a group that featured the world champions Germany . Also the coming home phrase is from the 1996 Euros when England hosted it and the song stuck. Why can't a team and fans be optimistic if they are on a good run
englishbluebird

Postby MoodyBluebird » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:00 am

englishbluebird wrote:I am not saying England are an elite side . Far from it but I don't see how they've become a laughing stock . The media will also be dragging the same players down next week. They had a favourable draw but still beat a good team in Colombia and Sweden who had won a group that featured the world champions Germany . Also the coming home phrase is from the 1996 Euros when England hosted it and the song stuck. Why can't a team and fans be optimistic if they are on a good run

I agree that the team are not a laughing stock. Indeed by their usual standards, they've had a good World Cup.

However, the media have not done themselves or the team any favours by placing England on a pedestal and crowing about results such as the 6-1 dismantling of Panama. From then on it became a racing certainty that England were as good as in the final, especially as the route opened up favourably.

When will they ever learn ? Forget about how good they think they are, show some humility and maybe just maybe non-English fans will be less scathing about the team when things don't quite go to plan.
MoodyBluebird

Postby englishbluebird » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:20 am

Yeah the media are notorious . Always have been but to be fair the team and Gareth Southgate conducted themselves well. No sane English fan expected them to get anywhere near the semi finals.
englishbluebird

Postby Jimmy Scoular » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:45 am

I have a theory about large events in England that engender a sense of hysteria.When Diana died It was tragic like when any mother who dies leaving children, it happens every day.Grown men on their knees weeping.People who she never knew talking about her like some messianic figure.Equally the garbage spouted by the press is both laughable and extremely embarrassing. They beat no one of quality and some of these players are at best rank average. Raheem Sterling is not even a natural footballer but resembles a headless chicken in front of goal. Roy Keane nailed it, the arrogance displayed by the press acted as a catalyst for Croatia. Luka Modric told his players to go and show who was best.They just cannot help themselves little wonder many find them arrogant and out of touch with reality.
Jimmy Scoular

Postby epping blue » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:11 pm

I hoped they'd get to the final but the hype over the team is way over the top. History will show they got to the semi but it was a fluke of the schedule. They could of got to the final without actually beating anyone in the top 15 FIFA rankings, top 20 if you take out the penalty win over Colombia. Pretty extraordinary but you take what you can just like we did 2 years ago.

British footballs biggest problem is that its not producing world class footballers. I'd argue that the only world class footballer produce in Britain in the last 10 years id Bale. The clubs may pay ridiculous fees to pass English players around the premiership but there's virtually no interest from Real, Barca or PSG who will pay what ever it takes to get what they want.

Southgate is currently lord of the manor in the eyes of the press but with 2 games coming up against Croatia and 2 games against Spain they could be calling for his head within 3 or 4 months. I don't have a problem with Southgate he's working with the best available. Its the media that build them to these levels and its the media that knocks them down. Its a very tough little sector for England. Could very easily be relegated and even worse got a fair chance they end in pot 2 for the main euros draw. Unlikely to matter for euro qualification but we're 16 months away for the next world cup qualifying draw.Harder fixtures / poorer results and they'll lose top seeding in that draw and the play offs for the world cup is no place for the faint hearted.
epping blue

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:17 pm

I don't really have a problem with the media going into overdrive about England's chances at Euros and WC's it is part of the experience as we found out in 2016.

However, as much as I hate saying it there is a basis for a great England side. Trouble is they haven't got a decent manager and again persisted with picking overrated players such as Sterling who is most over hyped player since John Barnes.

Until they find a good motivational and tactical manager who doesn't elevated certain players to the status of Undroppable they will continue to come up short at major tournaments.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:19 pm

epping blue wrote:I hoped they'd get to the final but the hype over the team is way over the top. History will show they got to the semi but it was a fluke of the schedule. They could of got to the final without actually beating anyone in the top 15 FIFA rankings, top 20 if you take out the penalty win over Colombia. Pretty extraordinary but you take what you can just like we did 2 years ago.

British footballs biggest problem is that its not producing world class footballers. I'd argue that the only world class footballer produce in Britain in the last 10 years id Bale. The clubs may pay ridiculous fees to pass English players around the premiership but there's virtually no interest from Real, Barca or PSG who will pay what ever it takes to get what they want.

Southgate is currently lord of the manor in the eyes of the press but with 2 games coming up against Croatia and 2 games against Spain they could be calling for his head within 3 or 4 months. I don't have a problem with Southgate he's working with the best available. Its the media that build them to these levels and its the media that knocks them down. Its a very tough little sector for England. Could very easily be relegated and even worse got a fair chance they end in pot 2 for the main euros draw. Unlikely to matter for euro qualification but we're 16 months away for the next world cup qualifying draw.Harder fixtures / poorer results and they'll lose top seeding in that draw and the play offs for the world cup is no place for the faint hearted.

I don't think Sir Waistcoat will be around much longer.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:26 pm

englishbluebird wrote:Yeah the media are notorious . Always have been but to be fair the team and Gareth Southgate conducted themselves well. No sane English fan expected them to get anywhere near the semi finals.

It's the media and some of the pundits who get on most people's tits. Thankfully, England have a manager who does not believe in this over the top hype, and is far more realistic than the ridiculous press and some of the overly excited pundits who I am convinced must be smoking something illegal to come out with some of their predictions.

At least Southgate knows that England are still a long way behind many of the top sides. Makes a refreshing change for an England coach to accept his side is not close to the top elite nations, and I think the fact that he has not got his head buried in the sand gives him a better chance of doing something with this England squad.

Past managers and the media have continually overlooked the obvious lack of quality in previous England sides, even though it was blatantly obvious to the rest of the world that they were at best, nothing more than average. Southgate can see what everyone else (apart from Shearer, Wright, Daily Mirror etc.) can see, and I think that is half the battle, accepting there is a lot of progress required rather than believing the hype and thinking this is a world beating team.

I like Southgate and many of his players, and I think he will lay the foundations which will ensure that future England teams will at least challenge some of the established elite countries. From a Welsh perspective, I wish they had appointed someone less able than Southgate.
Steve Zodiak

Postby MoodyBluebird » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:54 pm

[quote="Tony Blue Williams"]I don't really have a problem with the media going into overdrive about England's chances at Euros and WC's it is part of the experience as we found out in 2016.

However, as much as I hate saying it there is a basis for a great England side. Trouble is they haven't got a decent manager and again persisted with picking overrated players such as Sterling who is most over hyped player since John Barnes.

Until they find a good motivational and tactical manager who doesn't elevated certain players to the status of Undroppable they will continue to come up short at major tournaments.[/quthey

Tony, it's all about opinions but I can't agree with you that England have the basis of a "great" side.

No matter who the manager was, he would not be able to transform this England team into a great one. As the saying goes, you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

If you look at truly great teams from the recent past, such as Spain 201O or to a lesser degree France 1998 with Zidane, England are light years from that level.

I think it's widely acknowledged that until England can produce better midfielders than Henderson and Dier for instance, they will never be more than also-rans. Better coaching will never elevate these types of players to world beaters.

Only Maguire, Stones, Trippier and Pickford have impressed me throughout the tournament but England need much, much more than that to make the rest of the world stand up and take notice.
MoodyBluebird

Postby rumpo kid » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:08 pm

So basically, all we've established is that the media are idiots. Their job is to shift sell advertising. I dont know any football fans who overated England.

England finishing 4th is a job well done, considering their limitations.
rumpo kid

Postby Bananas » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:07 am

The English media all need a good kick up their English arses. Very average team, pathetic amount of support and as posters have pointed out in this thread, beaten by decent teams. Totally found out again. :old:
Bananas

Postby Jock » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:21 am

Is anyone surprised by the media, it’s what they’ve always done.
Jock

Postby Bananas » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:39 am

Jock wrote:Is anyone surprised by the media, it’s what they’ve always done.

Seemed worse this time Jockbutt
Bananas

Postby epping blue » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:39 am

England will be relegated by Xmas.
epping blue

Postby epping blue » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:43 am

England will be relegated by Xmas.
epping blue

Postby Sven » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:06 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
epping blue wrote:I hoped they'd get to the final but the hype over the team is way over the top. History will show they got to the semi but it was a fluke of the schedule. They could of got to the final without actually beating anyone in the top 15 FIFA rankings, top 20 if you take out the penalty win over Colombia. Pretty extraordinary but you take what you can just like we did 2 years ago.

I don't think Sir Waistcoat will be around much longer.

His stock will never be higher, so time to cash in? ;)

I note they named a Tube Station after him. How appropriate the 'Way Out' sign is above it! ;) :lol:
Attachments
Tube.jpg
Tube.jpg (103.11 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby maccydee » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:33 pm

At least they got there unlike us.

As gutted as that makes me it’s the truth.
maccydee

Postby maccydee » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:35 pm

thomasblue wrote:I think they got as far as they possibly could.
That is only because of the draw though not the team itself.

The facts dont lie

They played 4 games against a team in the top 20 in the world, lost 3 of them and won the other on penalties.

Put into perspective, if you work out the rankings comparing the national teams to its club equivalent in England they would have played

Panama #55 - Peterborough Utd
Tunisia #21 - Wolves
Sweden #24 - Aston Villa
Columbia #16 - Brighton
Croatia #20 - West Brom
Belgium #2 - Man Utd

They were 1 penalty kick away from losing to a columbia team missing by far its best player - The same as losing to Wales without Bale

They only managed to beat Tunisia in the 90th minute

9 of the 12 goals they scored were from set plays
Harry Kane scored three penalties, Kieran Trippier netted a free-kick and they scored from four corners and a free-kick routine.
That means they only scored three times from open play in six games, one of which was a lucky deflection off Harry Kane against Panama.

We spend so much time slagging the FIFA rankings and then use them when we want.

No way are Croatia one team better than Tunisia. FIFA rankings are a joke.
maccydee

Next

Return to General Chat