NEIL WARNOCK UPDATES FANS ON TRANSFERS

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:23 pm

Monday 16th July 2018

On the transfer search in general

Warnock’s message to fans was that they can expect two more incomings before the August 9 transfer deadline, even if that means missing out on Grujic. Robert Snodgrass has been linked with a loan from West Ham United while it is understood Warnock wants another forward player on a temporary deal.

NEIL WARNOCK:

“We hope for two more if we can get them,” he added. “They’ll probably be loans. If we can’t get Marko in we’ll have to see what there is, we’ve got other targets. “We’ll see what happens by Friday but I never lose sleep over targets to be honest. I always think it’s their loss if they don’t come. If I can avoid spending money, I’m sure Vincent (Tan) would like that.”

On Phillips

West Brom wide man Phillips is another who has been linked with Cardiff in the past few days, but Warnock said the former QPR wide man was no longer a target. Warnock said the Baggies wanted £15million, so has concentrated his search elsewhere. “I made one phone call to West Brom six weeks ago and they told me £15million so I’ve never spoke about him since,” joked Warnock.

On Grujic

Asked about the Bluebirds’ well-documented pursuit of 22-year-old midfielder Grujic, who impressed in 13 starts on loan from Liverpool last season, Warnock was still hopeful of securing the Serbian’s signature. But he admitted he would look elsewhere if a deal wasn’t secured soon.

NEIL WARNOCK:

“No updates (on Grujic), not really,” he said. “I think his agent – as they do – thinks he can try and make more money somewhere else but Liverpool want him to come and I think it’ll be good for him. We’ll have to see how it develops. But we won’t wait forever.”
Attachments
JS157705359.jpg
JS157705359.jpg (23.1 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: NEIL WARNOCK UPDATES FANS ON TRANSFERS

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 pm

Very concerned if Warnock thinks Grujic and another striker is good enough. We are so short of Premiership quality in centre midfield, it's unreal. I don't think Grujic is good enough either.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby Always Blue » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:33 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Very concerned if Warnock thinks Grujic and another striker is good enough. We are so short of Premiership quality in centre midfield, it's unreal. I don't think Grujic is good enough either.

I agree think we need more then 2 more players
ONCE A BLUE ALWAYS A BLUE
Always Blue

Postby fred keenor » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:06 am

Central midfield players currently:
Ralls
Gunnarson
Patterson
Damour

On the way out
Tomlin
O keefe

With Gunnarsons injury record ,surely we are way short of central midfield players?
fred keenor

Postby WelshPatriot » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:19 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Very concerned if Warnock thinks Grujic and another striker is good enough. We are so short of Premiership quality in centre midfield, it's unreal. I don't think Grujic is good enough either.

You make it sound easy to sign anyone with premiership quality, who's out there available and willing to come to us??
WelshPatriot

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:23 am

My thoughts exactly.
Lots on here seem happy with our midfield from last season!
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Steve Zodiak » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:39 am

I have previously said on here that two loan signings would be about our lot for this Summer. I am not sure there is much more money available for Warnock to spend, hopefully there may be a little more. I know posters said he has another £10m to spend, but I watched that interview and Warnock said he should have another £10m, not he actually has another £10m to spend. Not sure exactly what he meant, but he has also hinted a few times that he is looking at two loan signings before the season starts.
Steve Zodiak

Postby brickyblue » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:47 am

Agree totally with you and I don't think grujic is good enough I don't see what others see .
I don't even see quality like others .
He went about his loan move with simple passes which is ok but I never saw much else from him.he got caught out a few times with the defensive side to so hope he doesn't come.
brickyblue

Postby paulh_85 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:47 am

if the two loan signings really are it then it does leave us massively short

assuming for a moment grujic is the one to come in, we have the same midfield as last season minus bryson and halford.

up a division with a worse midfield, not sure why he would think this is ok
paulh_85

Postby Steve Zodiak » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:10 am

paulh_85 wrote:if the two loan signings really are it then it does leave us massively short

assuming for a moment grujic is the one to come in, we have the same midfield as last season minus bryson and halford.

It could be that two loan signings will be our lot. When Warnock said he should have another £10m to spend, he may have said that while thinking of Huddersfield's budget which he had used as a comparison to the budget that he has been given. I suppose when you have the smallest amount of money in the league to play with, his hands are tied to a certain extent.

On the other hand, he may just be keeping things close to his chest, and have something else in mind. Who knows? Personally, I have always thought some of the figures quoted on here as being the possible budget were way over the top. Given the massive debts that were run up previously, I would have guessed on a figure of £30m to £35m max being made available, which is obviously peanuts in the PL as you can pay more than this for one half decent player. We will be up against it this season, but the future looks a lot brighter now that the club is being run properly, and we are only looking to compete with, and finish above four or five teams after all.
Steve Zodiak

Postby paulh_85 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:14 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:if the two loan signings really are it then it does leave us massively short

It could be that two loan signings will be our lot. When Warnock said he should have another £10m to spend, he may have said that while thinking of Huddersfield's budget which he had used as a comparison to the budget that he has been given. I suppose when you have the smallest amount of money in the league to play with, his hands are tied to a certain extent.

On the other hand, he may just be keeping things close to his chest, and have something else in mind. Who knows? Personally, I have always thought some of the figures quoted on here as being the possible budget were way over the top. Given the massive debts that were run up previously, I would have guessed on a figure of £30m to £35m max being made available, which is obviously peanuts in the PL as you can pay more than this for one half decent player. We will be up against it this season, but the future looks a lot brighter now that the club is being run properly, and we are only looking to compete with, and finish above four or five teams after all.

yeah, im not going to judge till the window is closed, but the signs dont look good. If this is all we get in terms of money buys then you could argue he needed to spread the money around better.

but as i said, not judging yet with 3 weeks to go :ayatollah:
paulh_85

Postby bluemun » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:54 am

We need two centre midfielders and a striker....minimum : one creative and one holding and a front player who can do it in the Premier, like Rondon. Not that bothered about Grujic.
We'll have a weaker midfield than last year with no Bryson in the squad!
bluemun

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:04 am

Cardiff rebuffed by Spanish striker

17/07/18

Reports from Spain yesterday evening suggest that Cardiff City were interested in Willem II striker Fran Sol, but have seen their advances rebuffed by the player himself, who is believed to be keen on a move to Sevilla.

According to AS, Cardiff, Burnley and several other clubs from across Europe were believed to have had an interest, but he himself is believed have his heart set on a move to Sevilla.
Attachments
GettyImages-930174930.jpg
GettyImages-930174930.jpg (26.17 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Carlossus » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:42 am

Share most peoples concerns on midfielder but one thing I do know,Warnock will get 110% from all his players,it may be enough,Warnock will definitely play horses for courses. I know Im optimistic but Im still hoping for a creative midfielder to tuck in nicely behind our attack.
Carlossus

Postby fred keenor » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Its not just about bringing in premiership experience , the numbers in midfield are desperately low.
As stated minus bryson and halford.
Perhaps we need to move out a few to bring in another one?
fred keenor

Postby nubbsy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:50 pm

I have to agree here, to think we're planning on starting with a weaker midfield than last year (with Bryson leaving) is very worrying.
nubbsy

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:36 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:

You make it sound easy to sign anyone with premiership quality, who's out there available and willing to come to us??

I've been banging on about Brentford's Ryan Woods all summer, but whoever we bring in has to be an upgrade on what we currently have.

I only trust Ralls to consistently play alright at Premiership level.

Compare our current midfield to players like Aaron Mooy at Huddersfield, Pascal Gross at Brighton, Luka Milivojevic at Palace, Abdolaye Doucoure at Watford etc. These are bottom half teams and they all seem to have far superior midfields to us.

If we don't upgrade our centre midfield area, we will have a huge reality check at Bournemouth when they dominate possession, quickly passing the ball around us and we are chasing shadows all game.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby City Slicker » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

I've been banging on about Brentford's Ryan Woods all summer, but whoever we bring in has to be an upgrade on what we currently have.

Compare our current midfield to players like Aaron Mooy at Huddersfield, Pascal Gross at Brighton, Luka Milivojevic at Palace, Abdolaye Doucoure at Watford etc. These are bottom half teams and they all seem to have far superior midfields to us.

If we don't upgrade our centre midfield area, we will have a huge reality check at Bournemouth when they dominate possession, quickly passing the ball around us and we are chasing shadows all game.

Totally agree and you're absolutely right about Ryan Woods
City Slicker

Postby dogfound » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

when they dominate possession quickly passing the ball around..........you mean like last season.?

personally i think our best hope is to replicate last seasons performances ..the alternative? go out spend 30/40 odd mill on a sub standard passing midfield and lose the midfield battles anyway..
Warnock has got us this far doing it his way ,doesnt have a war chest..so im quite happy for him to continue as is..
we quite simply dont have the funds to compete for most players that are of interest to other prem clubs therefore you have to try something different..
dogfound

Postby nubbsy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:14 pm

dogfound wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

when they dominate possession quickly passing the ball around..........you mean like last season.?

personally i think our best hope is to replicate last seasons performances ..the alternative? go out spend 30/40 odd mill on a sub standard passing midfield and lose the midfield battles anyway..
Warnock has got us this far doing it his way ,doesnt have a war chest..so im quite happy for him to continue as is..
we quite simply dont have the funds to compete for most players that are of interest to other prem clubs therefore you have to try something different..

No ones asking to spend 30/40m for a sub standard player that's a stupid statement. And giving away possession in the prem and in the champ are two entirely diff things.

We've spent £21m on two attacking players. If money was that tight then I believe Murphy should have been sacrificed for a center mid of a similar fee.
nubbsy

Postby dogfound » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:15 pm

nubbsy wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

No ones asking to spend 30/40m for a sub standard player that's a stupid statement. And giving away possession in the prem and in the champ are two entirely diff things.

We've spent £21m on two attacking players. If money was that tight then I believe Murphy should have been sacrificed for a center mid of a similar fee.

whats really stupid is to think that 1 midfielder is going to transform how we play which is why i assumed a complete refit of our midfield and therefore how we play. and who exactly do you get ?..2 of those 4 tonteg mentions would cost upwards of 30 million combined and lets be honest they are nowhere near being the better players in that league.
as for giving possession away....yes your correct its going to be harder....but sacrificing our strengths which is turning defence quickly into attack to play it to a mediocre midfield to pass it ten times before the opposition score gets you nowhere.
if we had oodles of dosh id agree..but playing a passing game when you really dont have the players or the money to buy competitive players to play it makes little sense...
we are EXPECTED to go down..by everyone, why? because A } our squad on paper is the worse..and B} our budget is the lowest...therefore you have to do something different to the others not become a poundland version of them.
anyway it looks like thats what our manager will do.. and he has my support
dogfound

Postby FloridaBluebird » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:58 pm

At the end of last season we lost Grujic and Bryson. If anyone had been asked then which position needs strengthening the most I think the majority of us would have said middle of the park. There has to be a plan in place because we won’t hold the premiership any more than ‘dear Liza’ could hold onto water!
FloridaBluebird

Postby Dazzy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:36 am

I think we need to just relax a little. Warnock, like most managers, will state he only needs 1 or 2 more and will end up with 3 or 4 more. He’s a track history of that. I bet he’ll keep something back for deadline day as that’s often when good deals can open up as clubs desperately try to move players on.

I think we’ll sign at least one striker, Grujic, another CM, plus perhaps even one more. Regarding AMC role I think we need to remember that Ralls and even Grujic (should he sign) can play further forward and, more likely, Reid, Hoilett or Murphy can drop in more centrally if required
Who needs Cantona, when we’ve got Stantona?
Dazzy

Re: NEIL WARNOCK UPDATES FANS ON TRANSFE

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:36 am

One more midfielder (possibly Gruijc) and another striker, both on loan? Maybe that’s the case if we don’t release any players, otherwise you can add Tomlin to our list of midfielders, albeit an attackive one to compete with Bobby Reid. We only play with 2 traditional central midfielders, so we’re ok numbers wise, especially if we sign Gruijc, but I’m worried about a lack of quality.

Releasing some of our fringe players would free up cash and hopefully allow us to sign an extra central midfielder. Failing that, we could also use Bamba there, but I personally think he would struggle and is much better suited to playing in defence.

Leicester City won the league with far less possession than their opponents over the majority of the season, so I’m not too bothered about a lack of possession. If anything, I think we’re set up as a counter attacking team with the pace we have in the ranks.

Other than the usual “Woods from Brentford” response, can anyone think of a decent central midfielder with Premier League experience that we could possibly afford and would be a realistic transfer or loan target?
103 Barmy Army

Postby nubbsy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:41 am

dogfound wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

whats really stupid is to think that 1 midfielder is going to transform how we play which is why i assumed a complete refit of our midfield and therefore how we play. and who exactly do you get ?..2 of those 4 tonteg mentions would cost upwards of 30 million combined and lets be honest they are nowhere near being the better players in that league.
as for giving possession away....yes your correct its going to be harder....but sacrificing our strengths which is turning defence quickly into attack to play it to a mediocre midfield to pass it ten times before the opposition score gets you nowhere.
if we had oodles of dosh id agree..but playing a passing game when you really dont have the players or the money to buy competitive players to play it makes little sense...
we are EXPECTED to go down..by everyone, why? because A } our squad on paper is the worse..and B} our budget is the lowest...therefore you have to do something different to the others not become a poundland version of them.

Apologies I didn't read tontegs post in ref to the players I took it as a general response.

But I'm not talking about changing our whole tactics and start playing tip tap football. I love the direct style, but sometimes you HAVE to change it up and keep the ball for a while to ride games out and I don't think our midfield are capable of that in the premier league, simply because we could barely do it in the champ. Difference is we could get away with it last season.
nubbsy

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:01 pm

nubbsy wrote:
dogfound wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

Apologies I didn't read tontegs post in ref to the players I took it as a general response.

But I'm not talking about changing our whole tactics and start playing tip tap football. I love the direct style, but sometimes you HAVE to change it up and keep the ball for a while to ride games out and I don't think our midfield are capable of that in the premier league, simply because we could barely do it in the champ. Difference is we could get away with it last season.

Spot on. With some of our Championship games, we were lumping the ball anywhere up the park and it came straight back at us. We were organised enough to deal with periods of onslaughts against us last season, but imagine continually giving the ball away to De Bruyne, Hazard, Salah, Pogba etc (which our current midfield will do)?

We simply have to bring in better quality centre midfielders who can keep the ball better, especially when we are holding on during difficult periods in games. I'm not requesting a change of playing style or for us to change to a possession game; but as Nubbsy says, there will be periods where we are under so much pressure and the only way to take the pressure off will be to keep hold of the ball. This will allow our players to take a short breather and get up the pitch.

The lack of depth to our centre midfield will also inevitably mean our centre midfielders will be burnt out during the second half of the season. Our centre midfielders will put so much effort into games and they will cover so much ground closing down opponents, cutting off angles and tracking runners, our midfield engines will eventually run out of gas.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby paulh_85 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:51 am

Don’t really disagree with you Ross, but how we do against De Bruyne, Salah, Pogba and Hazard won’t shape our season

I’m looking forward to seeing how we perform against Bournemouth - a team who play good football but are still “get-at-able”

In Lewis Cook they have that quality in the middle that we don’t currently have so will be interesting to see how we fare
paulh_85

Return to General Chat