Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: NEIL WARNOCK: "BIGGEST TEST OF MY CAREER ON SMALLEST BUD

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:09 pm

The thing is surely Warnock will not want to have this label of being a good manager but one who is out of his depth at the top level after his last experience in the top flight. If we go down thats what will be most peoples opinion and the 8 promotions will be quickly forgotten about.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Nora0343 wrote:The thing is surely Warnock will not want to have this label of being a good manager but one who is out of his depth at the top level after his last experience in the top flight. If we go down thats what will be most peoples opinion and the 8 promotions will be quickly forgotten about.

I think any manager would have his work cut out with so little money to spend. I think it is hard for him to lose. If we are relegated, it will be what most people (outside Cardiff) expect. We are odds on favourites to go down after all. If we stay up, he will go down as one of our best ever managers, in the eyes of some he already is. If he was given a shed load of cash like Malky was given, and if we then still went down, he would certainly have damaged his reputation. I doubt if Deschamps would relish the battle of staying in the PL with the sort of budget Warnock has been given.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:44 pm

I thought we spent approx 50m last time in Premiership and we got relegated, Warnock has spent approx 25m so far with more signings and January window to come I reckon it will be very similar this time yet people are saying Malky had pots of money and Warnock has been given nothing?

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:07 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:I thought we spent approx 50m last time in Premiership and we got relegated, Warnock has spent approx 25m so far with more signings and January window to come I reckon it will be very similar this time yet people are saying Malky had pots of money and Warnock has been given nothing?

Malky spent around £50m on Summer signings alone. Need to also take into account those big agents fees and signing on fees, plus the over inflated wages that those players were on. I doubt very much that Warnock will be given another £25m to spend in the Jan transfer window, which many managers dislike due to the quality often on offer. It's not just the cost of buying a player that forms the club's budget. It's all the add ons as well as wages, bonuses etc.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:11 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:I thought we spent approx 50m last time in Premiership and we got relegated, Warnock has spent approx 25m so far with more signings and January window to come I reckon it will be very similar this time yet people are saying Malky had pots of money and Warnock has been given nothing?

50m back then was the biggest a promoted club has ever spent. You can't compare then and now, transfer fees have massively gone up especially for your average player.