"Taking Off The Blue Blinkers"

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Steve Zodiak » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:19 am

What can we do next season?

Nine wins and nine or ten draws will probably keep us up. I see our competition being Bournemouth, Brighton, Burnley, Palace, Huddersfield, Southampton, Wolves & Watford. Possibly one or two I may have missed out who could join us in the battle to stay up.

I am sure we will pick up the odd unexpected win like we did last time (Man City), but I don't think we will get too many points against the top sides. We are going to need to pick up a lot of home points against the above teams, and hopefully get two or three away wins as well. Not going to be easy, and I think we will do well if we can end the season with three or four clubs below us.

I would guess that the other nineteen sides are looking at us as a guaranteed four points at least. Hopefully, team spirit and the willingness to battle for the full ninety minutes will help us, but do we have the quality to pick up enough wins and avoid losing more than twenty games next season. I think with a little luck we can just about do it, but I can see why we are favourites to be relegated, and we certainly won't get any help from the refs against the established big boys. Looks like a tense season ahead, but great to have the chance of testing ourselves against the best. My head says we will probably finish in the bottom three, but I did not expect to see us here in the first place, so hopefully I will be wrong again. :bluescarf:
Steve Zodiak

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: "Taking Off The Blue Blinkers"

Postby Bananas » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:44 am

:old: top 4 for me :old: blue blinkers or not :old: :ayatollah:
Bananas

Postby Bluebina » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:00 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:"Taking Off The Blue Blinkers"

What can we do next season?

Nine wins and nine or ten draws will probably keep us up. I see our competition being Bournemouth, Brighton, Burnley, Palace, Huddersfield, Southampton, Wolves & Watford. Possibly one or two I may have missed out who could join us in the battle to stay up.

I am sure we will pick up the odd unexpected win like we did last time (Man City), but I don't think we will get too many points against the top sides. We are going to need to pick up a lot of home points against the above teams, and hopefully get two or three away wins as well. Not going to be easy, and I think we will do well if we can end the season with three or four clubs below us.

I would guess that the other nineteen sides are looking at us as a guaranteed four points at least. Hopefully, team spirit and the willingness to battle for the full ninety minutes will help us, but do we have the quality to pick up enough wins and avoid losing more than twenty games next season. I think with a little luck we can just about do it, but I can see why we are favourites to be relegated, and we certainly won't get any help from the refs against the established big boys. Looks like a tense season ahead, but great to have the chance of testing ourselves against the best. My head says we will probably finish in the bottom three, but I did not expect to see us here in the first place, so hopefully I will be wrong again. :bluescarf:

It will be really tough, my only hope is that they stay together and defend as a team, and that as all teams will probably play to beat us, it may suit us, as we struggle when teams come and defend and try and nick a point, hopefully we can pick some teams off on the break or the odd set piece.

Teams won't really enjoy playing us and Warnock loves being the underdog and fighting for results, we do have a chance and we as fans will have to help them out and play our part!
Bluebina

Postby bluebird7291 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:18 am

Win half our home games and the jobs a good one. Cant be that hard :lol:
bluebird7291

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:46 am

Its going to be massively tough, but warnock seems to like the underdog tag and you can see where he is going with the team and the signings, hard to beat, pace in all the attacking positions and hungry players with something to prove. I am concerned with the talk of only needing two more players though as if we realistically want to stay up then I think we need a minimum of 4 players ideally 5 but I don't believe we only want 2, im sure Warnock can see we need more than that :occasion5:
2blue2handle

Postby Steve Zodiak » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:01 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Its going to be massively tough, but warnock seems to like the underdog tag and you can see where he is going with the team and the signings, hard to beat, pace in all the attacking positions and hungry players with something to prove. I am concerned with the talk of only needing two more players though as if we realistically want to stay up then I think we need a minimum of 4 players ideally 5 but I don't believe we only want 2, im sure Warnock can see we need more than that :occasion5:

I agree that Warnock can probably see that we need more than we have right now. I suspect the money is not there for him to do a lot more than he has done already, we always knew that finances would be tight and I think we are about to find out just how tight they really are.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Logie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:04 pm

I think we will get some early wins and supprising draws down to the fact some teams have players away due to playing in the world cup and new players adjusting. After that period is over then its going to be real tough.
Logie

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:04 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Its going to be massively tough, but warnock seems to like the underdog tag and you can see where he is going with the team and the signings, hard to beat, pace in all the attacking positions and hungry players with something to prove. I am concerned with the talk of only needing two more players though as if we realistically want to stay up then I think we need a minimum of 4 players ideally 5 but I don't believe we only want 2, im sure Warnock can see we need more than that :occasion5:

I agree that Warnock can probably see that we need more than we have right now. I suspect the money is not there for him to do a lot more than he has done already, we always knew that finances would be tight and I think we are about to find out just how tight they really are.

If that is all the money then I think I would have spent it on different positions personally, central midfield had to be the priority for me at the start of the summer.
2blue2handle

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:07 pm

I agree but the ‘young hungry players with pace’ tag will only go so far. We definitely need a bit more quality IMO.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby kimble » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:45 pm

I think if we can get rid of Tomlin ..Camp..Pilkington..O Keefe and Bogle and Harris....we may get one or two others in as well as the two stated.

If any offers come in for Peltier..jazz and Connolly i would be happy for them to move on as well.
kimble

Postby phildavies » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Yes much like last year the press and opposition fans are serverly underestimating us and overestimating other teams. Can’t see Fulham doing much as the squad is tiny so they need another 8 or 9 just to be able to complete the season without relying on youth players. Can see Brighton suffering from second season syndrome and we are easily as good as few other teams and have a better manager than them :ayatollah:
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby troobloo3339 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:44 pm

I honestly believe we will finish 15th
troobloo3339

Postby bridgendbluebird30 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:05 pm

I think that we are a better team than what we were last time around however the money spent by most of our rivals this time around is frightening.

I believe that we could achieve 16th however although there have been a couple of good signings I would like us to bring in some quality like we did last time with Gary Medel. Another decent striker, a bit of creativity in midfield and being greedy a right back & we would have a great chance.
bridgendbluebird30

Postby maccydee » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:52 pm

I was gonna put a quid on us at 2000/1 then baulked when I realised each way was only top two. Conning gets.
maccydee

Postby Bluebina » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:37 am

Cardiff 8/11 4/5 4/5 4/5 8/11
Huddersfield 6/5 5/4 5/4 6/5 5/4
Fulham 6/4 7/4 13/8 13/8 6/4
Brighton 2/1 2/1 9/4 2/1 9/4
Watford 2/1 9/4 2/1 15/8 3/1
Burnley 4/1 3/1 7/2 7/2 4/1
Bournemouth 5/1 5/1 9/2 9/2 4/1
Newcastle 6/1 5/1 5/1 6/1 5/1
Crystal Palace 11/2 6/1 5/1 6/1 9/2
Southampton 7/1 8/1 8/1 7/1 6/1

We are favorites to go down and the bookies aren't often wrong !!!

Although they were last year, with us going up !!!

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/en ... to-stay-up

https://www.justbookies.com/premier-lea ... YIQAvD_BwE
Bluebina

Postby Steve Zodiak » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:11 am

Bluebina wrote:Cardiff 8/11 4/5 4/5 4/5 8/11
Huddersfield 6/5 5/4 5/4 6/5 5/4
Fulham 6/4 7/4 13/8 13/8 6/4
Brighton 2/1 2/1 9/4 2/1 9/4
Watford 2/1 9/4 2/1 15/8 3/1
Burnley 4/1 3/1 7/2 7/2 4/1
Bournemouth 5/1 5/1 9/2 9/2 4/1
Newcastle 6/1 5/1 5/1 6/1 5/1
Crystal Palace 11/2 6/1 5/1 6/1 9/2
Southampton 7/1 8/1 8/1 7/1 6/1

We are favorites to go down and the bookies aren't often wrong !!!

Although they were last year, with us going up !!!

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/en ... to-stay-up

https://www.justbookies.com/premier-lea ... YIQAvD_BwE

I noticed the other day that we are the only side that are actually odds on for relegation. Like you say, the bookies are not often wrong, and I imagine the odds are against us as it looks like we will have the smallest ever budget for PL football. Seen odds-on horses fail to win over the years, so the bookies can be wrong from time to time, lets hope they are wrong this time.
Steve Zodiak

Postby paulh_85 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:40 am

its not really much of a stretch to say we will struggle this season is it?

if all the money we have is already spent then it should have been spent better imo. still hoping we can bring one more player in with cash though.
paulh_85

Postby maccydee » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:49 am

paulh_85 wrote:its not really much of a stretch to say we will struggle this season is it?

if all the money we have is already spent then it should have been spent better imo. still hoping we can bring one more player in with cash though.

Spent better how?
maccydee

Postby paulh_85 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:50 am

maccydee wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:its not really much of a stretch to say we will struggle this season is it?

Spent better how?

in better areas.

if 24m is all we actually have i dont think we should have been buying 2 players over 10m
paulh_85

Postby Bakedalasker » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:54 am

We were all gobsmacked we got an auto spot last season. From that I feel most of us are putting faith in the way we got there last season to surviving this season.

I'm not going to be surprised if we do survive comfortable.
Bakedalasker

Postby 2blue2handle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:12 am

100% agree, central midfield should have been the first place we strengthened.

I'm sure in the interview I watched he said he had money left but I'm sure Vincent wouldn't mind if I didn't spend it.

I still think he will wheel and deal with the fringe players. We have to as ateast 4 players short still, probably 5.
2blue2handle

Postby Carlossus » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Bookies had us wrong last season by a country mile ,cant help being an optimist though part of me got my feet on the ground. I think Warnock will do it but my optimism would rise again with an established playmaker coming in.
Carlossus

Postby Flyingpostman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:19 pm

Bookies may have us odds on but things we need to look at . We do need one or two top class players to chip in with goals but defensively I think we are well drilled and organised and need not to worry that much .

We have a team that are together , we have very few if any big time Charlie's at the club . Look at the togetherness of teams that didn't necessarily have masses amounts of quality throughout the team ( Leicester winning the league . Wales getting to the semi's and England getting to the semi's)

Teams are going to come at us for 3 points which will massively suit us if we are going to punish them on the break .

We are very physical team and will make CCFC and intimidating place to come play . Premiership teams do not like this and we will ruffle plenty of feathers . I feel as long as we don't get on the managers back and infighting starts we will do well . I look at the likes of Southampton and having Hughes s as a manager and think we will out perform teams of slightly more talented mercenaries every time .

Keep the faith :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:
Flyingpostman

Postby Steve Zodiak » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Flyingpostman wrote:Bookies may have us odds on but things we need to look at . We do need one or two top class players to chip in with goals but defensively I think we are well drilled and organised and need not to worry that much .

We have a team that are together , we have very few if any big time Charlie's at the club . Look at the togetherness of teams that didn't necessarily have masses amounts of quality throughout the team ( Leicester winning the league . Wales getting to the semi's and England getting to the semi's)

Teams are going to come at us for 3 points which will massively suit us if we are going to punish them on the break .

We are very physical team and will make CCFC and intimidating place to come play . Premiership teams do not like this and we will ruffle plenty of feathers . I feel as long as we don't get on the managers back and infighting starts we will do well . I look at the likes of Southampton and having Hughes s as a manager and think we will out perform teams of slightly more talented mercenaries every time .

Keep the faith :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Agree with all that. I also think the fans will have an important part to play as well. I have heard some fans getting on the backs of players the minute things start to go slightly wrong. I think everyone needs to realise that we are going to lose a lot more than we win this season, and there are going to be times when we may lose three or four on the bounce. We have no big name players, and a lot will find things difficult against the top players. As long as they are giving 100%, we can't ask for much more. I believe we will need to give the players all the backing we can, and stick together for what will be a tough season for players and fans alike. Hopefully, we can make the stadium an intimidating place for the opposition, both on and off the pitch.
Steve Zodiak

Postby neathbluebird » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:54 pm

luckily i bet on france to win world cup at 15-2 so £75 back for a £10 stake....did it with unibet who offer a matching free bet so got 6-1 for us to best finishing promoted team. :bluescarf:
neathbluebird

Return to General Chat