Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

If a second referendum were to occur, would you CHANGE your vote from last time?

You may select 1 option

View results

OFF TOPIC POLL: SECOND REFERENDUM?

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:45 am

The UK Government seem unable to follow the will of the (majority of) the people, so more and more MP's are starting to believe a Second Referendum is fast becoming a reality...

What do you think?

Re: OFF TOPIC POLL: SECOND REFERENDUM?

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:51 am

Sven wrote:The UK Government seem unable to follow the will of the (majority of) the people, so more and more MP's are starting to believe a Second Referendum is fast becoming a reality...

What do you think?

It,s not so much that the government are unable to see it through, it's because they havn't got a majority in westminster, and with labour now changing their tune (they now want to stay in the customs union and the single market which is not brexit) everything put forward is getting voted against.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:59 am

I don't think there will be but It wouldn't surprise me.

After seeing the monumental ball's up being made of everything I'd probably change my vote now just in the hope it gives some actual stability to the country.

I thought voting out would give us an opportunity to grow as a country etc. It was never about "Getting back our country" and all that bollox. But the government (All parties) has shown its self to be totally inept at doing anything and May being totally weak as a leader.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Stuff a second referendom, although not a large majority it was voted to come out, so all those that voted to stay in did not get their way so lets vote again. So if i was not happy about the general election result lets have another election :laughing6:
Democracy or not, that is the question.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:07 pm

Absolutely not and there shouldn't be the other proposal either, the so called 'People's Multiple Choice' vote.

We were all aware of the consequences of a BREXIT vote; Britain would leave both the Single Market and Customs Union.

If these actions are going to cause problems with Land Rover/Jaguar, Air Bus and Nissan then they can either adapt or f**k off. Same goes with the Irish Boarder.

Those like myself who voted for BREXIT voted to take back control of our boarder's, money and laws. We didn't vote that way so multi-national companies, the Republic of Ireland and Angela Merkel can dictate the future direction of this country.

And as for Theresa May she will surely go down as the worst Prime Minister EVER!

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Absolutely not and there shouldn't be the other proposal either, the so called 'People's Multiple Choice' vote.

We were all aware of the consequences of a BREXIT vote; Britain would leave both the Single Market and Customs Union.

If these actions are going to cause problems with Land Rover/Jaguar, Air Bus and Nissan then they can either adapt or f**k off. Same goes with the Irish Boarder.

Those like myself who voted for BREXIT voted to take back control of our boarder's, money and laws. We didn't vote that way so multi-national companies, the Republic of Ireland and Angela Merkel can dictate the future direction of this country.

And as for Theresa May she will surely go down as the worst Prime Minister EVER!

I'm guessing your not employed by a multi national organisation or any of the 1000's of British companies in their supply chains.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:13 pm

No 2nd referendum, we cant keep having them it was a once in a lifetime vote before hand, tbh i dont think the result would be different anyway infact there probably be a bigger leave vote ,remember no eu army ? Remember projest fear ?

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:18 pm

I just wish they’d get on with it now, it’s doing my head in, the media bias towards remain is sickly but the country voted so let’s get on with it. I personally didn’t vote as it was all flawed and to be honest I said the day of the result we would lent leave, what we will do is give ourselves a worse deal. What if the second referendum also votes out? What a waste of time and money, the government already wasted £9m on a remain leaflet.

To be honest I am far more interested in watching the way Europe is changing with regards to the far right, Italy, Austria, Hungary and Germany not forgetting France are all seeing a rise in far rights movements and votes, and that is something to worry about. Brexit is just a distraction for the rest of Europe, they know they have problems far more reaching than sodding Brexit.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:20 pm

Igovernor wrote:Stuff a second referendom, although not a large majority it was voted to come out, so all those that voted to stay in did not get their way so lets vote again. So if i was not happy about the general election result lets have another election :laughing6:
Democracy or not, that is the question.

There was no second referendum after the 1975 vote and the president was set.

That said there should have been referendums for the Maastricht Treaty (1992) and the Lisbon Treaty (2007) both of which were fundamental deviations from what the British public had voted for in 1975.

The fact there were no referendums in 1992 & 2007 weakens the Remain argument that there should be one now.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:25 pm

langstoneBlue wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:Absolutely not and there shouldn't be the other proposal either, the so called 'People's Multiple Choice' vote.

I'm guessing your not employed by a multi national organisation or any of the 1000's of British companies in their supply chains.

No I'm not. I wouldn't blame someone who did work in these industries for wanting the UK to stay in the EU but we have to do what is best for the country as a whole. At the end of the day people get made redundant all the time and they have to adapt.

I have lost my job through redundancy and I did exactly that, same goes for employees of these companies, of course that's if they actually do lose their jobs and it is not another cry wolf situation which I suspect it is :D

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:29 pm

I voted to stay in for reasons regarding the industry I work in. I would not want a second referendum as I accepted the majority vote of the British people to leave.

I just hope Westminster can just get it sorted because it’s becoming farcical now.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:30 pm

Jimmykingz wrote:I don't think there will be but It wouldn't surprise me.

After seeing the monumental ball's up being made of everything I'd probably change my vote now just in the hope it gives some actual stability to the country.

I thought voting out would give us an opportunity to grow as a country etc. It was never about "Getting back our country" and all that bollox. But the government (All parties) has shown its self to be totally inept at doing anything and May being totally weak as a leader.

its all meant to try us

do you personally feel less stable? less stable just means we see the mess on the news every night, this isnt affecting 99% of us.
Last edited by paulh_85 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:30 pm

No to 2nd referendum.

It's turned out to be far more complex and beyond the capabilities of typically inept tory career politicians to give us whet we voted for. Far better to appoint hard negotiating intelligent high flying international business professionals to get the deal done and quickly.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:37 pm

Definatly no to another referendum it would cause mayhem in this country and we would never be able to vote on anything again

What should have happened is a team from a cross section of all parties and the best buisness/law minds in the country should have been assembled should have been left to deal with it away from single party politics.
That team should have been given clear goals as set out by the referendum and no deviation should be allowed from the main issues. Exactly like the EU has done on there side

The prime minister should not be leading the negotiations

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:43 pm

langstoneBlue wrote:

Yeah I doubt they are , a lot of peoples jobs are on the line and a lot of peoples future .

I imagine that if LRJ or Airbus or any major manufacturer pulls out of our economy then it will have knock on implications for an awful lot of people . The whole NIMBY argument again , if it doesn't affect me directly I don't care .

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:48 pm

I don't understand how swathes of Welsh voted out given the huge amount of investment has been piped in over the years by the EU .

If you thought London didn't care about you before and we got sod all money then wait until we no longer have the grants and subsidies from Brussels , we always pride ourselves as being more progressive and internationalist than the English and now look what we've done, hiding away in the valleys from all those immigrants that are coming .

Do people really think that Tories like Jacob Rees-Mogg, Boris Johnson will make good the deficiencies they perceive stemmed from the EU? Not a hope in hell , we may as well vote for independence next ... :banghead: :banghead:

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:03 pm

100% No. people calling for a second referendum are desperate ‘remainers’ who can’t respect democracy.

Shall we have the best of 50 referendums until the Remain camp get the result that they want? Prior to the vote the Government put in their household booklets it was a once in a lifetime vote. People had their say and the result should be respect by everyone.

Shall we have another General Election every time a certain party doesn’t make up the Government?

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:03 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:We were all aware of the consequences of a BREXIT vote; Britain would leave both the Single Market and Customs Union

Really? Funny how multiple leave campaigners said in the run up to the vote that "no one is talking about leaving the single market" etc. The reality is, most people didn't know the consequences, because there was no one really knows what people were actually voting for.

Hopski wrote:It's turned out to be far more complex and beyond the capabilities of typically inept tory career politicians to give us whet we voted for.

What did you vote for?
To leave the EU.
Nothing mentioned about single market, or customs union, or deal v no deal, etc.
The problem is that no one actually knows what was voted for.

thomasblue wrote:That team should have been given clear goals as set out by the referendum and no deviation should be allowed from the main issues

What goals set out by the referendum? There weren't any!

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:100% No. people calling for a second referendum are desperate ‘remainers’ who can’t respect democracy.?

Oh like the leave campaigners who wanted a 2nd referendum if the vote ended up 52% v 48% (of course, they thought it would be 48% leave).

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:07 pm

Welsh who voted to leave are the Turkeys who voted for Christmas .

I don't believe that we should have another referendum as that is not democracy however given the fact that the leave campaign was built on lies and breaking electoral law it makes it all the more incredulous that welsh people bought this nonsense and voted to leave .

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:12 pm

WelshBluebird wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:We were all aware of the consequences of a BREXIT vote; Britain would leave both the Single Market and Customs Union

Really? Funny how multiple leave campaigners said in the run up to the vote that "no one is talking about leaving the single market" etc. The reality is, most people didn't know the consequences, because there was no one really knows what people were actually voting for.

Hopski wrote:It's turned out to be far more complex and beyond the capabilities of typically inept tory career politicians to give us whet we voted for.

What did you vote for?
To leave the EU.
Nothing mentioned about single market, or customs union, or deal v no deal, etc.

thomasblue wrote:That team should have been given clear goals as set out by the referendum and no deviation should be allowed from the main issues

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:100% No. people calling for a second referendum are desperate ‘remainers’ who can’t respect democracy.?

Oh like the leave campaigners who wanted a 2nd referendum if the vote ended up 52% v 48% (of course, they thought it would be 48% leave).

With regards to having access to the single market, you may want to read the remain campaign brochure again which was posted to every household in Britain. When you say nothing was mentioned about it, the brochure made it quite clear what would happen if we voted to leave. The topic was brought up numerous times, and it was clear to me that leaving the EU was going to have big changes as far as accessing the single market was concerned.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:14 pm

WelshBluebird wrote:

What did you vote for?
To leave the EU.

Unfortunately some people in life cannot take no for an answer and it has to be their way. The PM & Government made it quite clear before the referendum that it would be ONE referendum and that leaving the EU would include everything associated with it. It is well documented in literature and clips of TV debates etc. Remain trying to bend the rules to try & get a soft Brexit. There is no such thing as a hard or soft Brexit. 17.4m voters voted to leave the EU and everything associated with it and even though many remain voters do now accept that result & democracy there are still a minority who continue to throw their teddies.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Flyingpostman wrote:Welsh who voted to leave are the Turkeys who voted for Christmas .

I don't believe that we should have another referendum as that is not democracy however given the fact that the leave campaign was built on lies and breaking electoral law it makes it all the more incredulous that welsh people bought this nonsense and voted to leave .

And the remain campaign told the truth, like how our economy would fall of the edge of a cliff just by voting leave, how we would need an emergency budget to survive within days of a leave vote, and how unemployment would soar just because we voted leave, and how our FTSE would slump in the immediate aftermath of a leave vote. All designed to scare us into submission, and all a complete load of nonsense, and all completely inaccurate.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:17 pm

I voted leave in 2016 and nothing has changed for me and I really don't see the value in a 2nd referendum because whatever the result the losing side would say that people either didn't understand the question or some other load of bollocks.

In truth it has been like this since Ted Heath signed the European Communities Act back in 1972, he did this despite having commissioned a report which outlined the likely risks of "Free Movement" of people and the development of the political aspects of the EU. I believe if we had known back in 1975 what the politicians of the time knew we would likely have said NO during the referendum back in 1975. But even then the politicians covered up the truth and the shower we have in control now are no better.

As a result we currently live with an EU that controls most every aspect of our lives, but back in 1975 we voted to join a "Free Trade Area" but look what it turned out to be :o

2 years ago the majority voted to "Take Back Control" and I for one cannot wait for the day when that becomes a reality.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:18 pm

It should be a soft Brexit nothing more. People who hate something that much get their judgement clouded by the good stuff it does.

I do feel a lot of people in both sides of debate didnt fully understand the subject matter. It was no landslide victort plus elecoral law was broken.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:19 pm

castleblue wrote:I voted leave in 2016 and nothing has changed for me and I really don't see the value in a 2nd referendum because whatever the result the losing side would say that people either didn't understand the question or some other load of bollocks.

In truth it has been like this since Ted Heath signed the European Communities Act back in 1972, he did this despite having commissioned a report which outlined the likely risks of "Free Movement" of people and the development of the political aspects of the EU. I believe if we had known back in 1975 what the politicians of the time knew we would likely have said NO during the referendum back in 1975. But even then the politicians covered up the truth and the shower we have in control now are no better.

As a result we currently live with an EU that controls most every aspect of our lives, but back in 1975 we voted to join a "Free Trade Area" but look what it turned out to be :o

2 years ago the majority voted to "Take Back Control" and I for one cannot wait for the day when that becomes a reality.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Well said and spot on (IMHO), Gary :thumbright:

Voted NO and no reason to change, if there was a next time! :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:27 pm

NOPE.... why would anybody, want to be in a union like that, it's beyond me, we all have our own views on things, but you can't get 27 people to agree, let alone 27 bloody countries, I hope it falls apart...

if they allowed other member states, to have a vote, sure others would follow, maybe one day we can rejoin a newly reformed union, but this one, not for me thanks :thumbup:

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:45 pm

Flyingpostman wrote:Welsh who voted to leave are the Turkeys who voted for Christmas .

the turkeys voting for xmas can just as easily be said about all those now wanting a 2nd referendum...

the much bigger issue here is democracy itself...35 million people go out and vote and then someone says joking we were..

the minute people ignore a democratic vote is the day democracy dies..

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Flyingpostman wrote:I don't understand how swathes of Welsh voted out given the huge amount of investment has been piped in over the years by the EU .

If you thought London didn't care about you before and we got sod all money then wait until we no longer have the grants and subsidies from Brussels , we always pride ourselves as being more progressive and internationalist than the English and now look what we've done, hiding away in the valleys from all those immigrants that are coming .

Do people really think that Tories like Jacob Rees-Mogg, Boris Johnson will make good the deficiencies they perceive stemmed from the EU? Not a hope in hell , we may as well vote for independence next ... :banghead: :banghead:

It's all about opinion...but clearly to many (including you but not the actual voting majority) anyone who wanted to LEAVE the EU (not subsidise or hold on to part thereof) is either misguided, ignorant or just plain wrong :roll:

What is wrong is the vehemence of the beaten to now reverse the democratic decision! :oops:

I understand the reasons of many to vote either way. Surely that was the purpose of the referendum with the majority vote winning the day? :?

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:22 pm

Flyingpostman wrote:I don't understand how swathes of Welsh voted out given the huge amount of investment has been piped in over the years by the EU .

if people like you get your way we might as well not vote at all never mind independence..

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:24 pm

100% YES :ayatollah: