OFF TOPIC POLL: SECOND REFERENDUM?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

If a second referendum were to occur, would you CHANGE your vote from last time?

YES
26%
NO
74%

Total votes : 136

Re: OFF TOPIC POLL: SECOND REFERENDUM?

Postby Bananas » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:26 pm

castleblue wrote:I voted leave in 2016 and nothing has changed for me and I really don't see the value in a 2nd referendum because whatever the result the losing side would say that people either didn't understand the question or some other load of bollocks.

In truth it has been like this since Ted Heath signed the European Communities Act back in 1972, he did this despite having commissioned a report which outlined the likely risks of "Free Movement" of people and the development of the political aspects of the EU. I believe if we had known back in 1975 what the politicians of the time knew we would likely have said NO during the referendum back in 1975. But even then the politicians covered up the truth and the shower we have in control now are no better.

As a result we currently live with an EU that controls most every aspect of our lives, but back in 1975 we voted to join a "Free Trade Area" but look what it turned out to be :o

2 years ago the majority voted to "Take Back Control" and I for one cannot wait for the day when that becomes a reality.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Nor me. Wales taking back control from England :bluescarf: :old: roll on WEXIT
Bananas

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby dogfound » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:28 pm

Sven wrote:The UK Government seem unable to follow the will of the (majority of) the people, so more and more MP's are starting to believe a Second Referendum is fast becoming a reality...

What do you think?

i think maybe there should be an abstain in disgust option..
i didnt vote the first time because i was unsure...fully accept the vote and would have either way..
i first thought if there was a 2nd vote id vote with democracy to leave..but whats the point if those in power dont take an ounce of notice anyway..
dogfound

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:29 pm

WelshBluebird wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:We were all aware of the consequences of a BREXIT vote; Britain would leave both the Single Market and Customs Union

Really? Funny how multiple leave campaigners said in the run up to the vote that "no one is talking about leaving the single market" etc. The reality is, most people didn't know the consequences, because there was no one really knows what people were actually voting for.

Hopski wrote:It's turned out to be far more complex and beyond the capabilities of typically inept tory career politicians to give us whet we voted for.

What did you vote for?
To leave the EU.
Nothing mentioned about single market, or customs union, or deal v no deal, etc.
The problem is that no one actually knows what was voted for.

Is that the brexit voters not knowing or the remainers? :o

thomasblue wrote:That team should have been given clear goals as set out by the referendum and no deviation should be allowed from the main issues

What goals set out by the referendum? There weren't any!

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:100% No. people calling for a second referendum are desperate ‘remainers’ who can’t respect democracy.?

Oh like the leave campaigners who wanted a 2nd referendum if the vote ended up 52% v 48% (of course, they thought it would be 48% leave).
pembroke allan

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:34 pm

Its the remain mps asking for 2nd vote and pro Euro has beens like blair? Others want what people voted for out that means out completely :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby McNaughtyButNice » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:34 pm

I voted remain first time and would do so again. However I don't think there should be another vote, but I do think the government should fight for the best possible deal for the country and to my mind that has to include an Eu trade deal and customs union. No deal leaves us in an unknown situation and uncertainty is definitely not a good thing for the economy and the country as a whole.
McNaughtyButNice

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:41 pm

dogfound wrote:
Flyingpostman wrote:Welsh who voted to leave are the Turkeys who voted for Christmas .

I don't believe that we should have another referendum as that is not democracy however given the fact that the leave campaign was built on lies and breaking electoral law it makes it all the more incredulous that welsh people bought this nonsense and voted to leave .

the turkeys voting for xmas can just as easily be said about all those now wanting a 2nd referendum...

the much bigger issue here is democracy itself...35 million people go out and vote and then someone says joking we were..

the minute people ignore a democratic vote is the day democracy dies..

But most of the money granted to valleys by EU is money given it in 1st place by uk and there must be a lot of turkeys because the majority voted out from all walks of life rich & poor :o
pembroke allan

Postby Flyingpostman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Flyingpostman wrote:Welsh who voted to leave are the Turkeys who voted for Christmas .

I don't believe that we should have another referendum as that is not democracy however given the fact that the leave campaign was built on lies and breaking electoral law it makes it all the more incredulous that welsh people bought this nonsense and voted to leave .

And the remain campaign told the truth, like how our economy would fall of the edge of a cliff just by voting leave, how we would need an emergency budget to survive within days of a leave vote, and how unemployment would soar just because we voted leave, and how our FTSE would slump in the immediate aftermath of a leave vote. All designed to scare us into submission, and all a complete load of nonsense, and all completely inaccurate.

Not been found guilty of electoral fraud though have they the remain group . I will closely watch the FTSE the days after a hard brexit . Unemployment figures have been cooked for years so that is no reflection of anything .
Flyingpostman

Postby Bluebina » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 pm

Sven wrote:The UK Government seem unable to follow the will of the (majority of) the people, so more and more MP's are starting to believe a Second Referendum is fast becoming a reality...

What do you think?

No chance the remainers are trying to stop it, but shouldn't be allowed it's been decided and we should stick with the vote!!!
Last edited by Bluebina on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bluebina

Postby Flyingpostman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 pm

dogfound wrote:
Flyingpostman wrote:I don't understand how swathes of Welsh voted out given the huge amount of investment has been piped in over the years by the EU .

If you thought London didn't care about you before and we got sod all money then wait until we no longer have the grants and subsidies from Brussels , we always pride ourselves as being more progressive and internationalist than the English and now look what we've done, hiding away in the valleys from all those immigrants that are coming .

Do people really think that Tories like Jacob Rees-Mogg, Boris Johnson will make good the deficiencies they perceive stemmed from the EU? Not a hope in hell , we may as well vote for independence next ... :banghead: :banghead:

if people like you get your way we might as well not vote at all never mind independence..

I don't want a second vote I totally believe in democracy , my issue is that the Welsh especially have bitten the hand that feeds them which is the EU . I would welcome further devolution from London if the people we have running the WAG were competent and not 3rd rate politicians . Rather be governed by people in Europe .

My issue isn't with the call for a second referendum its more the naivety of communities within Wales who have swallowed this nonsense and for what exactly ??

Wales and the North of England will suffer hugely from the leave vote as well as the Northern Irish . You know who will do ok out of it all though .... South East England and London !
Flyingpostman

Postby Steve Zodiak » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:03 pm

McNaughtyButNice wrote:I voted remain first time and would do so again. However I don't think there should be another vote, but I do think the government should fight for the best possible deal for the country and to my mind that has to include an Eu trade deal and customs union. No deal leaves us in an unknown situation and uncertainty is definitely not a good thing for the economy and the country as a whole.

I would argue that it is not a completely unknown situation as many of us were around long before we joined the Common Market. I accept that the World is different to back in those days, and can see your point. When we had the last vote to remain in the European Community, I voted yes. It was sold to us as a good trading arrangement, employment stability, aiding the poorer countries,promoting world peace and various other benefits. Nobody mentioned handing over law making powers, uncontrolled immigration etc. Had they done so, I am sure a lot of people including myself would have voted the other way. You could say that one of the reasons we are in the EU in the first place is because it was sold to us on the back of things that were not strictly true.
Steve Zodiak

Postby WelshBluebird » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:04 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:With regards to having access to the single market, you may want to read the remain campaign brochure again which was posted to every household in Britain. When you say nothing was mentioned about it, the brochure made it quite clear what would happen if we voted to leave. The topic was brought up numerous times, and it was clear to me that leaving the EU was going to have big changes as far as accessing the single market was concerned.

The remain campaign made it clear that was going to happen. But the leave campaign tried again and again to label that "project fear" and that "no one was talking about leaving the single market". That is a fact. The leave campaign thought they could have their cake and eat it, and now they are starting to realise that actually no we can't have everything that they promised.

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Unfortunately some people in life cannot take no for an answer and it has to be their way. The PM & Government made it quite clear before the referendum that it would be ONE referendum and that leaving the EU would include everything associated with it. It is well documented in literature and clips of TV debates etc. Remain trying to bend the rules to try & get a soft Brexit. There is no such thing as a hard or soft Brexit. 17.4m voters voted to leave the EU and everything associated with it and even though many remain voters do now accept that result & democracy there are still a minority who continue to throw their teddies.

As above. The leave campaign very much tried to paint any warnings from the government and the leave campaign as "project fear". The idea that Brexit only ever meant leaving every single EU institutional is insane and is just not true. As for remain trying to "bend the rules" - well even if that is true I guess that is better than breaking them altogether as leave has just been found out as doing. 17.4m voted to leave the EU. From that you simply cannot judge what they actually wanted (some wanted to leave but have a deal like Norway, some wanted to leave totally and have nothing to do with the EU etc). And once again, as Farage himself said, 52% v 47% is "unfinished business".
WelshBluebird

Postby T1JMO » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:11 pm

No! It's not a best of 3 game!
T1JMO

Postby petesmeat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:34 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Absolutely not and there shouldn't be the other proposal either, the so called 'People's Multiple Choice' vote.

We were all aware of the consequences of a BREXIT vote; Britain would leave both the Single Market and Customs Union.

If these actions are going to cause problems with Land Rover/Jaguar, Air Bus and Nissan then they can either adapt or f**k off. Same goes with the Irish Boarder.

Those like myself who voted for BREXIT voted to take back control of our boarder's, money and laws. We didn't vote that way so multi-national companies, the Republic of Ireland and Angela Merkel can dictate the future direction of this country.

And as for Theresa May she will surely go down as the worst Prime Minister EVER!

People were not aware we would leave the SM or CU. Farage, Hannan and Banks all said nothing of the sort many, many times.
https://quotebrexit.wordpress.com/2016/ ... le-market/

May is inept but Cameron is worse, he put us in this mess for the sake of his own political career.

Also, worth asking why so many millionaires such as Murdoch, Dyson and Martin back Brexit? Tax Haven anyone?
petesmeat

Postby Steve Zodiak » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:45 pm

petesmeat wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:Absolutely not and there shouldn't be the other proposal either, the so called 'People's Multiple Choice' vote.

We were all aware of the consequences of a BREXIT vote; Britain would leave both the Single Market and Customs Union.

If these actions are going to cause problems with Land Rover/Jaguar, Air Bus and Nissan then they can either adapt or f**k off. Same goes with the Irish Boarder.

Those like myself who voted for BREXIT voted to take back control of our boarder's, money and laws. We didn't vote that way so multi-national companies, the Republic of Ireland and Angela Merkel can dictate the future direction of this country.

And as for Theresa May she will surely go down as the worst Prime Minister EVER!

People were not aware we would leave the SM or CU. Farage, Hannan and Banks all said nothing of the sort many, many times.

May is inept but Cameron is worse, he put us in this mess for the sake of his own political career.

Also, worth asking why so many millionaires such as Murdoch, Dyson and Martin back Brexit? Tax Haven anyone?

I also remember Farage who to many was the face of Brexit saying to stay in the single market would be a betrayal to the British people. It was obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense that the EU would never give us all the benefits of being a member if we were no longer part of the EU. That was always made perfectly clear. Everyone assumes that it is only the UK that needs a good deal. People need to remember that we import far more from the EU than we export to them. It is in everyone's interest to get some sort of working arrangement in place. The EU needs access to the British market. Somewhere around 16% of their exports are to us.
Steve Zodiak

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:53 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:

I also remember Farage who to many was the face of Brexit saying to stay in the single market would be a betrayal to the British people. It was obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense that the EU would never give us all the benefits of being a member if we were no longer part of the EU. That was always made perfectly clear. Everyone assumes that it is only the UK that needs a good deal. People need to remember that we import far more from the EU than we export to them. It is in everyone's interest to get some sort of working arrangement in place. The EU needs access to the British market. Somewhere around 16% of their exports are to us.

EU will be in a lot of trouble if half of the things happen and it's not only trade it's tourism as well and for likes Spain Greece if that's interfered with it will be disastrous for their economies :old:
pembroke allan

Postby BlueMoon1974 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Its a win win for tories. Getting the working class to turn on each other and at the same time not distroying their vote base.

Industrial areas never vote tory but have supported leave. Thousands of jobs will go but upper class and middle class will be pissing themselves. This class of people will just sit back get mash mallows out and watch the biggest fire ever rip through the industrial heartlands of our country. Reap what you sow im afraid.
BlueMoon1974

Postby dogfound » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:23 pm

BlueMoon1974 wrote:Its a win win for tories. Getting the working class to turn on each other and at the same time not distroying their vote base.

Industrial areas never vote tory but have supported leave. Thousands of jobs will go but upper class and middle class will be pissing themselves. This class of people will just sit back get mash mallows out and watch the biggest fire ever rip through the industrial heartlands of our country. Reap what you sow im afraid.

your saying leave and tory is the same thing..?
dogfound

Postby WelshBluebird » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:29 pm

dogfound wrote:your saying leave and tory is the same thing..?

There's a reason people like Rees-Mogg and Boris are in favour of Brexit and it has nothing to do with them thinking it is the right thing to do. Indeed you only have to look at previous statements Boris has made about that "he'd vote to stay in the single market" and if you go back even further he was very much in favour of staying in the EU.
WelshBluebird

Postby paulh_85 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:34 pm

WelshBluebird wrote:

There's a reason people like Rees-Mogg and Boris are in favour of Brexit and it has nothing to do with them thinking it is the right thing to do. Indeed you only have to look at previous statements Boris has made about that "he'd vote to stay in the single market" and if you go back even further he was very much in favour of staying in the EU.

didnt corbyn also favour brexit but didnt really say anything or get involved at all? :banghead:
paulh_85

Postby bluebird58 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:44 pm

The trouble with democracy is that stupid people are allowed to vote.
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Postby Caerphillyblue1927 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:50 pm

The majority voted to leave the EU, and by that it meant everything customs union, single market the whole package. Anything less is a betrayal of democracy in this Country. If it does not happen then who knows what will happen. One thing is this though most of our politicians don't give a shit about their constituents and most are in it for themselves. Where is Oliver Cromwell when you need him :banghead:
Caerphillyblue1927

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:53 pm

bluebird58 wrote:The trouble with democracy is that stupid people are allowed to vote.

So 17m people are stupid? (Brexit) :roll:
Or are you referring to remain voters? :laughing6:
pembroke allan

Postby dogfound » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:54 pm

WelshBluebird wrote:

whooosh strait over your head...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:00 pm

bluebird58 wrote:The trouble with democracy is that stupid people are allowed to vote.

define stupid people...
dogfound

Postby CF23 Bluebird » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Igovernor wrote:Stuff a second referendom, although not a large majority it was voted to come out, so all those that voted to stay in did not get their way so lets vote again. So if i was not happy about the general election result lets have another election :laughing6:
Democracy or not, that is the question.

Spot on. The majority no matter how small voted to leave so if the remainers get there way what would be the point of ever having any other elections again? I for one would never vote again :banghead:
CF23 Bluebird

Postby CF23 Bluebird » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:23 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:

EU will be in a lot of trouble if half of the things happen and it's not only trade it's tourism as well and for likes Spain Greece if that's interfered with it will be disastrous for their economies :old:

Exactly Allan, people banging on about how worse off we will be. Well so will all of the EU. It will work both ways.
CF23 Bluebird

Postby BlueMoon1974 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:30 pm

dogfound wrote:

define stupid people...

People who voted with little knowledge on subject matter and just say fuc.... the EU.

WATCH THIS CLIP FOR A 1.5 MINS
BREXITERS KNOW JOBS WILL GO BUT SAY ITS WORTH THE HIT

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/vi ... stoms-bill
BlueMoon1974

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:35 pm

CF23 Bluebird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:

Exactly Allan, people banging on about how worse off we will be. Well so will all of the EU. It will work both ways.

Why do people think it's a one way street and only uk will suffer? Several EU countries are on brink of financial meltdown and more rely on EU funds to keep afloat, if lose certain things like tourism and the Germans France ECT will need to contribute lot more to keep countries alive that in itself will cause trouble for them, But how many other countries may join uk and leave? :old:
pembroke allan

Postby rumpo kid » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:27 pm

2nd referendum ho ho ho...accept it, and stop snivelling.
rumpo kid

Postby dogfound » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:45 pm

BlueMoon1974 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

define stupid people...

People who voted with little knowledge on subject matter and just say fuc.... the EU.

WATCH THIS CLIP FOR A 1.5 MINS
BREXITERS KNOW JOBS WILL GO BUT SAY ITS WORTH THE HIT

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/vi ... stoms-bill

and i suppose your the expert on the subject matter ...?
dogfound

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat