Bamba or Manga in new role?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby dadmancat » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Many on here quite rightly are worried by our lack of midfield options - but could utilising Bamba or Manga as a defensive midfielder be an option?

Sol was ranked #1 in the total number of interceptions in the whole league (with Manga not far behind in 5th).
Also, Sol was ranked #4 in the most tackles with Manga also making the top 10.

I think either one would be useful in a destructive role in midfield. It would also mean Manga not playing at right back (a position I don't think best utilised him last year).
dadmancat

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Bamba or Manga in new role?

Postby bluebird7291 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:48 pm

Bamba 100%. He reads the game well
bluebird7291

Postby Fairblue27 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:56 pm

I've been thinking the same myself. Bamba sat in front of the back four.
He played there a couple of times last season.
So he can have free licence to sniff out trouble while Manga plays in his best role of centre half.
It's certainly an option.
Fairblue27

Postby 2blue2handle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:07 pm

You can get away with it a couple of games a season in the championship especially in the home games but in the premiership? Not for me, certainly not on a regular basis anyway.
2blue2handle

Postby paulh_85 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:26 pm

wouldnt want bamba in the middle
paulh_85

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:30 pm

2blue2handle wrote:You can get away with it a couple of games a season in the championship especially in the home games but in the premiership? Not for me, certainly not on a regular basis anyway.

Correct, Imagine the top CAM players running rings around Bamba if he was playing the holding role.
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Carlossus » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:21 am

I think Bamba could play a very good Gary Madine role freeing Manga to play alongside Morrison in centre, problem is it leaves the question who do we sacrifice in front of him.
Carlossus

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:34 am

Carlossus wrote:I think Bamba could play a very good Gary Madine role freeing Manga to play alongside Morrison in centre, problem is it leaves the question who do we sacrifice in front of him.

A Madine role!?
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Sam ReaN » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:59 pm

I would not have manga in midfield as his reaction time is not as great as someone like Paterson or Ralls.

My Team To Start Against AFC Bournemouth:

-Goalkeeper-
Eithridge
-Defence-
Bennett
Bamba
Morrison (Captain)
Peltier
-Midfielders-
Ralls
Paterson
-Wingers-
Hoilett
Mendez Laing
-Strikers-
Reid
Zohore

Formation: 4.4.2
Also On The Sam ReaN YouTube Channel
Cardiff City Highlights On Bits From The Action
The ReaN Show Series 1-6
CardiffFanTV / On Facebook & YouTube
Vlogging Adventures
Video Games
SUBSCRIBE IN 2024
Sam ReaN

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:05 am

Sam ReaN wrote:I would not have manga in midfield as his reaction time is not as great as someone like Paterson or Ralls.

My Team To Start Against AFC Bournemouth:

-Goalkeeper-
Eithridge
-Defence-
Bennett
Bamba
Morrison (Captain)
Peltier
-Midfielders-
Ralls
Paterson
-Wingers-
Hoilett
Mendez Laing
-Strikers-
Reid
Zohore

Formation: 4.4.2

Can't see us playing 442 much this season and certainly not away from home..
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby RFMH » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:40 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Carlossus wrote:I think Bamba could play a very good Gary Madine role freeing Manga to play alongside Morrison in centre, problem is it leaves the question who do we sacrifice in front of him.

A Madine role!?

He meant Medel

If Warnock was looking to play three at the back, say three from, Manga, Morrison, Bambs, Cunninham, Conolly, Peltier with wingbacks from Richards, Bennett, Cunningham and another. I could understand the approach in the transfer window. But as we're still playing 433 is of to see us so light at full-back and centre mid
RFMH

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:51 pm

RFMH wrote:

A Madine role!?

He meant Medel

If Warnock was looking to play three at the back, say three from, Manga, Morrison, Bambs, Cunninham, Conolly, Peltier with wingbacks from Richards, Bennett, Cunningham and another. I could understand the approach in the transfer window. But as we're still playing 433 is of to see us so light at full-back and centre mid

It'll be 4 2 3 1 so only 2 CM required... ( just my opinion of course)
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby RFMH » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:05 pm

RFMH wrote:

A Madine role!?

He meant Medel

Which is Gunnar, Ralls, Damour and maybe Grujic. Not a great starting two and alarming depth across the season. But with two wingers, a number ten and attacking fullbacks you can see why maybe Warnock isnt too fussed.
RFMH

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:13 pm

RFMH wrote:
RFMH wrote:

A Madine role!?

He meant Medel

Which is Gunnar, Ralls, Damour and maybe Grujic. Not a great starting two and alarming depth across the season. But with two wingers, a number ten and attacking fullbacks you can see why maybe Warnock isnt too fussed.

Paterson ?

I'd be happy with Grujic and Ralls or Paterson in for either.
I think Damour looks like a good player but Gunnar isn't for me in the prem :thumbright:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby thomasblue » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:24 pm

Its not a new idea its a different take on a old formation.
For years teams played with a sweeper, you dont really see that anymore in football but putting a centre back in front of a back four is a very similar idea.

I actually think it is a role we may well be seeing Greg Cunningham play this season. He is pretty much perfect for it
thomasblue

Postby Carlossus » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:55 pm

thomasblue wrote:Its not a new idea its a different take on a old formation.
For years teams played with a sweeper, you dont really see that anymore in football but putting a centre back in front of a back four is a very similar idea.

I actually think it is a role we may well be seeing Greg Cunningham play this season. He is pretty much perfect for it

I think Bamba can play a natural sweeper role.
Carlossus

Postby dadmancat » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:36 pm

dadmancat wrote:Many on here quite rightly are worried by our lack of midfield options - but could utilising Bamba or Manga as a defensive midfielder be an option?

Sol was ranked #1 in the total number of interceptions in the whole league (with Manga not far behind in 5th).
Also, Sol was ranked #4 in the most tackles with Manga also making the top 10.

I think either one would be useful in a destructive role in midfield. It would also mean Manga not playing at right back (a position I don't think best utilised him last year).

Well we got to see what I suggested a couple of weeks ago. I though Sol did okay second half but I'd rather Manga played there and Sol tuck to partnering Morrison as they have worked so well together.

Fingers crossed though we get a real midfielder in before the deadline as I can't imagine him playing there effectively all season.
dadmancat

Postby Sam ReaN » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Bamba for sure, i get worried still about Manga backtracking or being under pressure.
Also On The Sam ReaN YouTube Channel
Cardiff City Highlights On Bits From The Action
The ReaN Show Series 1-6
CardiffFanTV / On Facebook & YouTube
Vlogging Adventures
Video Games
SUBSCRIBE IN 2024
Sam ReaN

Return to General Chat