Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Its finally Confirmed Striker Leaves Cardiff City '

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:24 pm

The quiet disappearance and exit of Cardiff City's forgotten man Frederic Gounongbe

Wednesday 18th July 2017

Frederic Gounongbe is no longer a Cardiff City player after leaving the club over the summer.

The striker, who became something of a forgotten man at the club making only very fleeting appearances and failing to find the net in two years with the Bluebirds, has been released and is now without a club, WalesOnline understands.

It brings to an end a saga that has puzzled many Cardiff fans.

Gounongbe was not named on the official Bluebirds' retained list for 2018 despite his contract expiring on June 30. But just like Greg Halford and Matty Kennedy he was released, it can now be confirmed.

In two years, Gounongbe went from being a regular under former boss Paul Trollope, to a lesser-spotted fringe player under Neil Warnock.

However, he did make three appearances from the bench for the Bluebirds in their successful promotion season, replacing Danny Ward each time in victories over Brentford, Barnsley and Nottingham Forest.

Gounongbe was initially jettisoned from the side by Warnock after becoming a symbol of Cardiff's laboured approach under Trollope.

His failure to score, or even feature in a Bluebirds win until November 2017 (the 2-0 home win over Brentford) - after joining from Belgian side Westerlo during the 2016 summer transfer window - summed up a problematic spell in South Wales.

Frederic Gounongbe of Cardiff in action against Shrewsbury Town in 2016 (Image: Huw Evans Picture Agency)
Gounongbe's Cardiff City career in numbers

The striker's glaring miss against Birmingham on the opening day of the 2016/17 season epitomised the lack of cutting edge that was plaguing Cardiff back then. Goungonbe did make three more appearances under Warnock that season before suffering an injury, that required surgery, ruling him out of the rest of the season.

His only start under Warnock came in the 0-0 draw with Brighton in December 2016.

But the emergence of Kenneth Zohore and Cardiff's relentless form since Warnock took the helm - combined with Goungonbe's persistent injury problems - pushed the Benin international towards the fringes.

Warnock did use him sparingly, once even comparing the 30-year-old to legendary Bolton Wanderers striker Nat Lofthouse.

But with the news that Gounongbe will now seek pastures new, the riddle has finally been resolved.

There were some that believed the Warnock magic may rub off on Gounongbe, as it did on Zohore, and Cardiff City Stadium would witness the rebirth of another enigmatic striker.

It wasn't to be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Its finally Confirmed Striker Leaves Cardiff City '

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:35 pm

At 30 now I think he was a big gamble and shows what we have signed in recent years.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:19 pm

Fair play to Walesonline.

They've finally noticed that the invisible man isn't around anymore.

Will only really be remembered for one of the worst open goal misses by a City player for goodness knows how long.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:06 pm

I was at Birmingham to see his miss in the opening game of the season. It was indeed horrific. Someone passed the ball to him just inside the six yard box with the Birmingham goalkeeper stranded elsewhere and with the entire goal gaping in front of him he somehow ballooned the ball over the bar. I can honestly say it was the worst ever miss I have seen form a footballer professionl or non professional. I suspected he was a wrong un after watching it and I was right.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:01 pm

Finally, I am sorry but no one should be at the club if they have not been seen there for a whole season or 2 so good luck in the future to him and I hope he gets another club soon.