Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Have we got enough firepower upfront??

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:53 am

At present(i know-it’s possible this might change if players move on before the end of the window) but it looks like we will have 4 flying machines with blistering pace in Murphy, Mendez, Reid and Kads together with Holliett who is no slouch

Then we have 3 central strikers in Ken, Madine and Ward and possibly Pilks if he is still with us

At championship level that frontline would virtually guarantee a hat full of goals

However, all of them are unproven at Premier league level...are they good enough to get the goals to keep us up??

Re: Have we got enough firepower upfront??

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:59 am

Yes :old:

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:15 am

hes already mentioned bringing in another striker - so then we will :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:03 am

Put it this way if we really were only signing 2 more players it would be 2 central midfielders for me.

However I expect us to sign 4 more players at lease but for me the priority would be
2 x Centre mid
1 x striker
1 x Right Back
then if possible another CB

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:07 am

Bananas wrote:Yes :old:

I think so as well, I think they will be inconsistent and in certain games they will get very little service. I also don’t think any single player will score 10+ goals

However, there is pace in abundance which will always cause even the best defences problems

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:00 pm

I think the goals will come from midfield/wings/Morrison but hope we get lucky with zohore/madine banging in a few. Unlikely our strikers will get a hatfull

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:01 pm

No. I still think that we need a quality striker. I know they have been scoring goals pre season but the Premiership is totally different.

Madine hasn’t been scoring in the Championship, I don’t regard Ward as a Premiership striker & I don’t think Zohore can do it all by himself. I know the midfielders will chip in with a few goals but would be happy with the addition of a quality striker.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:08 pm

I'm not sure - Zohore & Ward though good players have not been exactly prolific at Championship level either. I would like to see one come in as I don't think Madine is good enough for this level. The problem is who? Everyone knows we are in the market for a striker so I guess prices & wages are inflated for even the most average of strikers at Premiership level.

I am sure NW is working on it and we have to trust his judgement about who will fit our system, but at the risk of contradicting myself, I would take a gamble on Dzyuba if he can be got for around £6 million as was previously reported. He is unproven at prem level for sure, but scores plenty for a Russian team that play to his strengths, which we would surely do, and I'm not sure there are better deals out there...

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:12 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:At present(i know-it’s possible this might change if players move on before the end of the window) but it looks like we will have 4 flying machines with blistering pace in Murphy, Mendez, Reid and Kads together with Holliett who is no slouch

Then we have 3 central strikers in Ken, Madine and Ward and possibly Pilks if he is still with us

At championship level that frontline would virtually guarantee a hat full of goals

However, all of them are unproven at Premier league level...are they good enough to get the goals to keep us up??

Yes to NML hoilett Murphy and Reid. But a massive no to Harris Madine and pilks.
Put it this way Harris is not even a championship player let alone a step up again ffs.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:34 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:At present(i know-it’s possible this might change if players move on before the end of the window) but it looks like we will have 4 flying machines with blistering pace in Murphy, Mendez, Reid and Kads together with Holliett who is no slouch

its that time of the year when if you asked every fan of every club the majority would like to see more fire power...

rewind a year...everyone thought the same then and were quite pleased we signed Bogle who now seems surplus and not good enough , Ward { spent most of the season injured } and Tomlin {spent the season litter picking in a Gregs car park }...
still scored goals, still went up..

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Yes.

Kenny, madine as no 9s

Ward, Reid and Murphy can all play up front or wide/behind striker.

Then you’ve got Pato and Reid who can play in the hole.

Plus NML and junior can play anywhere up front.

Would love a midfielder to be signed, as well as Grujic. Ryan Wooods my choice.

Not sure about LT now, he never looks fit, I just th No he’s a square peg here now.........

Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:14 pm

#1ScouseBluebird wrote:Yes.

Kenny, madine as no 9s

Not sure about LT now, he never looks fit, I just th No he’s a square peg here now.........

Pretty much agree with that summing up..lots of players with lots to prove but I’m sure a few of them will do ok

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:26 pm

We need another striker. One or two injuries and things will be looking pretty dire.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:27 pm

#1ScouseBluebird wrote:Yes.

Kenny, madine as no 9s

Can't say I agree, we need more quality up front.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:35 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Put it this way if we really were only signing 2 more players it would be 2 central midfielders for me.

However I expect us to sign 4 more players at lease but for me the priority would be
2 x Centre mid
1 x striker
1 x Right Back
then if possible another CB

Don't think another 4 will happen, 2 max - 1 midfielder and 1 striker both on loan.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:10 am

talking about present firepower. I thought we would look at all options pre season.Just wondering what has happened to Bogle.
He seemed to be doing OK and then upset NW and was sent out on loan.
at least he was quite pacey and scored. (We then spent £6 million in Madin e who was slow and didn't score! Hopefully GM will get confidence and some success, but his slowness around the pitch is a worry at Pre m level!)

Anyway what about Bogle. Was Bogle on the Devon trip at all ? I would have liked to see him given a chance in pre season. Seems a bit odd.

I am definitely not saying he would be good enough for the Prem, a r he didn't pull up any trees when our on loan.but some of the others aren't and at least he had some potential.it appears that NW won't even give him a runout? I assume he still at the club but standing at the exit door!
Any info? :bluebird: