Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Neil Warnocks time in Malaysia with Vincent Tan '

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:50 am

What about your holiday visiting Malaysia to see Vincent?

By Dominic Booth

Friday 20th July 2018

NEIL WARNOCK:

"There's a funny story there. At the end of my holiday Vincent was there – and he’d been good with me that week – but Sharon and the kids loved it. And I said to everyone ‘thanks for having me this week, whether I’ll be back next year, who knows with Vincent!’ and he laughed. I get on well with his wife too, she’s very good humoured.

"But you never know with football. All I know is I’m in a very happy situation.

"When you’re younger you worry about the sack, but if I get the sack I know I’ll get another job. I’d be quite happy managing in Division Three, I just want to make clubs better than when I arrived and it’s not all about finances, it's about challenges. I loved the Rotherham challenge, the chairman there made be believe again and it’s all like that.

"Sharon’s breast cancer put life into perspective and I don’t think (football) is life or death anymore.

"It’s an obsession that I want to win games and I want to stay in the league, because I want to be the best that I can. But I don’t look at other clubs spending £50-odd million on a goalkeeper and I'm spending £24million on a team with envy. I’m happy with what I’ve got and I won’t spend Vincent’s money stupidly.

"If I didn’t get another player I’d be almost satisfied because we’re a little bit thin with injuries, a bit thin in midfield and up front if we lost a couple of players. It’s a long time from August 9th to January 1st so you’ve got to make sure you’ve got back-up."

When the inevitable defeats happen, who keeps your spirits up? Because things can get quite down in football.

Warnock: "Saturday night is probably my worst time and Sharon is excellent.

"After the Derby game last season I was really at a low and the women just know, don't they?

"She was in Cornwall and I was coming home to Cardiff from Derby, very disappointed. We had Hull City to come and Fulham had Sunderland on the Friday night which we expected them to win.

"I was a bit down when I spoke to her and rang her in the morning, asked her ‘what are you doing today, love?’ and she said ‘I’m about an hour away, I’m just coming over the bridge’. She said she knew she had to come up and we’ll do it together.

"That was brilliant, it took my mind off football and then we were brilliant against Hull - I’ve got goose pimples just talking about it.

"Sharon knows me inside out and you can’t live in football without good people around. And it’s not just her, Kevin Blackwell and Ronnie Jepson take a lot of weight off my shoulders. As you get older you’ve got to delegate and I’m delighted with the staff we’ve brought together behind the scenes.

"It’s pleasing to know you’ve got the players – almost – and you’ve got the staff that you want. Now we've got to perform. But with the players we've got, we wont give any less than 100 per cent against these teams...

"I watched Hazard play for Belgium and I thought ‘please Real Madrid, please sign him’, and I love watching Willian too. Some of the players are just magical and it’s lovely to watch them. But we've got to play against them and just got to not be overawed."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Neil Warocks time in Malaysia with Vincent Tan '

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:56 am

The most humble down to earth man you’ll ever know, I love Neil, he’s turned the whole club around, bringing fans and unity to the club, thank you Neil

Re: ' Neil Warnocks time in Malaysia with Vincent Tan '

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:14 am

Great man and manager.

I just hope VT doesn't get too twitchy when we lose a few next season.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:19 am

As much as I like the guy now I can remember a time when I hated the kunt. :lol: :lol:

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:38 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:As much as I like the guy now I can remember a time when I hated the kunt. :lol: :lol:

I wouldn’t say I ever hated him but he is a genuine pantomime villain...but for years before he actually became our manager I always that he would be a brilliant fit here

Our most popular manager ever???

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:54 am

When NW in not your manager the only stories you read are the, heavily promoted, controversial ones or is post match interviews.

You build up a picture of him and you have an opinion that runs from annoyance to hatred.

When he is your manager you see ALL stories including ones like this and you get yo know the whole person.

Re: ' Neil Warocks time in Malaysia with Vincent Tan '

Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:15 am

Wolfpac wrote:The most humble down to earth man you’ll ever know, I love Neil, he’s turned the whole club around, bringing fans and unity to the club, thank you Neil

Spot on mate
He feels it just like us, probrably more. Best manager we’ve had :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:34 am

I've honestly always liked him and thought he would be great here. I was overjoyed when he came here.

It's not just what he does on the pitch - he's turned round the chaos off it too. An even greater achievement possibly.

He's a City legend now and my favourite manager ahead of even Eddie May.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:02 am

Couldn’t stand the bloke until he was our manager. Fans of all clubs that he’s never managed will say the same.

But now think the complete opposite of that obviously, done a fantastic job and it’s easy to forget where we were when he arrived - on and off the pitch.

I thought he came to the club a few years too late because I believed his best days were behind him - glad he proved me wrong.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:53 am

I agree .....when he was elsewhere, I couldn’t say I liked him ( never hated him) but I did think he was the right man for the job when he took over but I never imagined I would be sitting here with City in the Premier League 18 months or so later :bluescarf:

I think his wife’s cancer ( I wish them all the best with her recovery ) has also meant we have seen another side to his character .

Maybe we can do something as fans to show our support to Sharon and Neil with a sponsored Ayatollah :ayatollah: or pass a bucket around on a match day for a charity of their choosing ? Thoughts ? I feel least we can do seeing the difference they have made to our club :bluebird:

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:05 am

billy ronson wrote:I agree .....when he was elsewhere, I couldn’t say I liked him ( never hated him) but I did think he was the right man for the job when he took over but I never imagined I would be sitting here with City in the Premier League 18 months or so later :bluescarf:

I think his wife’s cancer ( I wish them all the best with her recovery ) has also meant we have seen another side to his character .

Maybe we can do something as fans to show our support to Sharon and Neil with a sponsored Ayatollah :ayatollah: or pass a bucket around on a match day for a charity of their choosing ? Thoughts ? I feel least we can do seeing the difference they have made to our club :bluebird:

I think that's a brilliant idea and I believe quite a few would contribute. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:18 pm

I always remember seeing him at the CCS when he was the QPR manager back in 2011 or whenever it was. We watched him coming out into the Carpark as I think he bought his own car with him (prob to go off to Devon after :lol: ) He came across really down to earth and I thought at the time, it would be great to have him as a manager. I was envious of QPR then because he was there so enjoying every min of him being our manager as this can really be seen as the golden era! You have to pinch yourself sometimes and the fact he is our manager should never be taken for granted as it won’t be forever. What ever happens this season I’ll being getting right behind the team and manager, even if we are bottom after a couple of months.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:34 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
billy ronson wrote:I agree .....when he was elsewhere, I couldn’t say I liked him ( never hated him) but I did think he was the right man for the job when he took over but I never imagined I would be sitting here with City in the Premier League 18 months or so later :bluescarf:

I think that's a brilliant idea and I believe quite a few would contribute. :ayatollah:

:thumbup:

Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:17 pm

I liked him even when he was manager against us I thought he was straight not a bad person just very passionate about the game I loved too he spoke with honesty and I loved his humour and he clearly knows the game.

When jones left I remember thinking the perfect manager for us would be Warnock my son thought I gone mad and every time we changed manager I use to say please be Warnock funny now my son loves Warnock and says, yes dad u were right trust me he never says that about anything else lol

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:27 am

How about a 'Mrs Warnock" day :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:55 pm

the least the club owes warnock is a full season without the threat of the sack. remains to be seen what sort of squad we'll enter the season into, but i expect us to be in the bottom 5 this season, as warnock is likely to not attract the sort of high quality signings that teams above us will.