The big Cardiff City squad number changes

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:37 pm

The big Cardiff City squad number changes that look set to happen this season in the Premier League :thumbright: :bluebird:

Neil Etheridge will get the No.1 shirt, after wearing 25 last season, with Alex Smithies having the No.12 on his back against Bodmin.

By Tom Coleman ( Media Wales )

Friday 20th July 2018

These are the changes we could see when the official squad numbers are revealed on the eve of the Premier League season...

Sol Bamba 22 , Bobby Reid 14

Bamba was given the No.14 shirt when he signed for Cardiff after a famous free transfer back in October 2016 that typified Warnock's genius in the market.

And the totemic Ivorian has seemed content with that number for the past 18 months or so. Until now.

With Bobby Reid wearing the No.14 against Tavistock, fans wondered what would happen when both Reid and Bamba took the field together.

And Reid, who was No.14 for Bristol City, still had the shirt with Bamba switching to No.22.

The centre-back had the same number during his sole season at Palermo, so it looks like he's about to change his Cardiff number for the first time. Stuart O'Keefe has nominally held No.22 at Cardiff for the past few years, but appears to be heading for the exit.

Josh Murphy 11 , Kadeem Harris?

Kadeem Harris' fine 2016/17 form for Cardiff, when he really emerged as a first team regular, was rewarded with a change of number, from 24 to 11.

But we rarely saw the young winger on the pitch last season as injuries took their toll.

And Harris may be set for a change of number once again, with Murphy consistently wearing the No.11 shirt in pre-season and looking in fine form.

The former Norwich City winger had the No.11 shirt for the Canaries last season and understandably wants to feel one of the Bluebirds' main attacking players after his transfer. Where that leaves Harris in terms of a squad number remains to be seen.

Gary Madine 24 , Marko Grujic?

The target man was given the No.44 when he signed last season and you can't blame him for wanting a change of luck.

He has been wearing No.24 in pre-season and if you believe in superstition, then it's been boding well for Madine who has three goals in 90 minutes of tour football. It's the same number he had at both Sheffield Wednesday and Blackpool.

Madine's imminent change of number would mean, however, that if Marko Grujic signs on loan from Liverpool then the youngster must find a new number having worn 24 last term.

Greg Cunningham 18, Callum Paterson,13

A fairly straightforward swap with Warnock describing how Paterson wanted the No.13, clearing the way for new signing Cunningham to take the Scot's old number, 18.

Warnock said: "What to say about Paterson, he's not a full shilling, is he? He came to me and I said 'what number do you want?' He said, 'I want number 13, boss.' Who would have number 13? Only Paterson."

Anthony Pilkington has long held the No.13 shirt, so Paterson's switch looks like spelling the end for the Irish international.

Goalkeepers

Judging from the shirts they have worn in pre-season, Cardiff's goalkeepers are also going to change the numbers they wear.

Neil Etheridge will get the No.1 shirt, after wearing 25 last season, with Alex Smithies having the No.12 on his back against Bodmin.

This would mean Lee Camp is stripped of the No.1 jersey, with the man who spent the second half of last season on loan at Sunderland expected to depart in the next few weeks.

The full list of squad numbers as they could look :bluebird: :bluebird:

1. Etheridge

2. Peltier

3. Bennett

4. Morrison

5. Manga

6. Richards

7. Tomlin

8. Ralls

9. Ward

10. Zohore

11. J. Murphy

12. Smithies

13. Paterson

14. Reid

16. Connolly

17. Gunnarsson

18. Cunningham

19. Mendez-Laing

20. Damour

22. Bamba

24. Madine

25. K. Harris

28. B. Murphy

33. Hoilett

37. Healey
Attachments
unnamed-7.jpg
unnamed-7.jpg (50.62 KiB) Viewed 3180 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: The big Cardiff City squad number changes

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:55 pm

I assume this is ICWales scrapping the barrel now for articles :lol:

Who writes an article about what number changes there might be :lol:
2blue2handle

Postby paulh_85 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:58 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I assume this is ICWales scrapping the barrel now for articles :lol:

dont think its the first time either :lol:
paulh_85

Postby grange_end1927 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:01 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I assume this is ICWales scrapping the barrel now for articles :lol:

dont think its the first time either :lol:

:lol:

they get f ck worse :lol:
grange_end1927

Postby Gaynor Straight » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:02 pm

They did a similarly speculative pointless article a few weeks ago.
Gaynor Straight

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:22 pm

I get that fans have an interest in the squad number and when they are realised no doubt they can do an article on it and that makes sense.

But an article on.... Well nothing really is pointless.
2blue2handle

Postby TopCat CCFC » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Squad numbers mean nothing to the starting 11 week in week out .

Can't remember the last time i saw a team put out players 1 to 11 .
TopCat CCFC

Postby dogfound » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:00 pm

Tom Coleman does ,thats who..
read the headline,went straight to the numbers,then the coments...and havent stopped shaking my head since.

do they get paid for this?
dogfound

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:04 am

dogfound wrote:

Tom Coleman does ,thats who..
read the headline,went straight to the numbers,then the coments...and havent stopped shaking my head since.

do they get paid for this?

I'm hoping not :lol:
2blue2handle

Postby troobloo3339 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:00 pm

Imo the number 7 shirt is up for grabs ?
troobloo3339

Return to General Chat