“ SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:14 am

LIFE LONG CARDIFF CITY FAN & CARDIFF SEASON TICKET HOLDER RIP :bluebird: :ayatollah:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6831172/m ... th-plunge/ :cry:

Three Brits have been killed falling 70ft from the same Majorca hotel — so why no extra safety or quiz guests?

From Georgette Culley in Magaluf

THE Eden Roc apartment complex in Magaluf is an imposing place.

Perched on the banks of the Mediterranean on the south-west tip of Majorca, its weathered walls rise 12 storeys into the baby blue sky.

Thomas Channon, 18, pictured left with his family, plunged 70ft to his death off the balcony of the Eden Roc apartment complex in Magaluf

The weathered walls of the Eden Roc apartment complex in Magaluf rise 12 storeys into the baby blue sky
Nick Obank -

The weathered walls of the Eden Roc apartment complex in Magaluf rise 12 storeys into the baby blue sky
There is no evidence of a crime scene — no police tape, no cordon, not a sign asking for witnesses despite three deaths in just a few months

There is no evidence of a crime scene — no police tape, no cordon, not a sign asking for witnesses despite three deaths in just a few months
At night, the silence is deafening. The concrete ground beneath the building is lost to darkness. Only a dim light flickers from the old lamps at the iron-gated entrance.

It was here last week that the body of 18-year-old Thomas Channon was found in the garden, having plunged 70ft to his death. Not that you would know.

There is no evidence of a crime scene — no police tape, no cordon, not a sign asking for witnesses.

The spot from where he fell bears no warning of the danger and no temporary barriers have been put in front of the low wall over which he fell.
Attachments
F86DD73D-7F1F-4683-83EB-7F3318C18009.jpeg
F86DD73D-7F1F-4683-83EB-7F3318C18009.jpeg (110.05 KiB) Viewed 6297 times
4BD1EC8D-6ED8-4904-8152-7D9A6D1100B8.jpeg
4BD1EC8D-6ED8-4904-8152-7D9A6D1100B8.jpeg (21.34 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: “ SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE “

Postby Bay Blue » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:32 am

They want it to quietly go away, no negative publicity.
Killer on the loose? all very suspicious.

Your heart goes out to the family’s involved :(
Bay Blue

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:34 am

would not be allowed in this country 2ft wall stopping you falling 70ft ! but begs question wtf are the travel companies in this country doing about it? its obviously dangerous appt block so should be removed from GB companies holiday destinations, they do for places which are deemed dangerous due to other things so why not here? :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:20 pm

The only reminder of the tragedy is a bunch of flowers laid in tribute.

Even more unsettling is the fact Tom was the THIRD British tourist to plummet to their death from the complex in four months.

Tom Hughes, 20, from Wrexham, North Wales, died in June
Solarpix

Brit tourist Thomas Owen Hughes fell 65ft to his death in Magaluf after ‘jumping over wall thinking corridor continued on the other side’
Tom Hughes, 20, from Wrexham, North Wales, died in June in startlingly similar circumstances to Tom Channon, falling from the same spot.

In April, Natalie Cormack, 19, from West Kilbride, Ayrshire, fell from the seventh floor.

She died after trying to edge her way along an overhang around a locked door after she discovered she did not have keys to get in.

That the two lads died after falling from the same place just weeks apart has incensed Tom Channon’s already devastated family.

How, they demand to know, did they manage to meet the same fate in such a short space of time? Why are the police dragging their heels? And why has nothing been done to make sure it does not happen again?

Dad John Channon, 67, a business consultant, flew to Magaluf to see the investigations this week
Nick Obank - The Sun

Calvia Council, which oversees the party resort, only just wrote to representatives of the complex to demand they fence off the most dangerous areas at the block
Nick Obank - The Sun

Dad John Channon, 67, a business consultant, from Rhoose, Vale of Glamorgan, flew to Magaluf this week.

He told The Sun: “So many questions and theories have been going around in my mind.

“Why did two identical deaths happen here, in a short space of time, with boys the same age who look very similar? It just doesn’t feel right.

“I arrived the day after my son’s death and there was no cordoned-off area, no sign of an investigation and no safety measures put it place.

“It’s as if the police had made up their minds about what had happened.

“It is a complete insult that over one week after my son’s death, no attempts have been made to make the building safer. How many more needless deaths must there be before somebody acts? Even something as simple as a fence or a danger sign has not been put up.

“If action had been taken when Tom Hughes died, then my son would probably still be alive today.”

The Eden Roc apartment complex is in Magaluf, on the south-west tip of MajorcaOnly last Friday did Calvia Council, which oversees the party resort, write to representatives of the complex to demand they fence off the most dangerous areas at the block.

The owners will be given a month from receipt of the council letter to come up with a longer-term plan to improve safety.

But they will also have the right to appeal if they feel the changes being demanded are unreasonable.

Andreu Serra, the deputy mayor of Magaluf, insisted local police and the Civil Guard were carrying out a “detailed investigation to understand the basics of what happened”.

We must get justice, I will never stop fighting

John ChannonDad
Tom Channon was holidaying with pals to celebrate finishing his A-levels and died just one night into his trip.

The Sun visited the exact spot where he and Tom Hughes are said to have fallen from. The danger is immediately evident.

Walking through the main entrance, several steps lead to a large courtyard surrounded by a wall of about knee height. Beyond the wall’s side is dense foliage, giving the impression there is a garden at the same level.

This “garden” is in fact the top of vines and shrubbery crawling up from what looks like a quarry 70ft below.

The Sun visited the exact spot where he and Tom Hughes are said to have fallen from
Nick Obank - The Sun

Officers said Tom Channon fell from a balcony — but there are no balconies on that side of the building
Nick Obank - The Sun

Police believe both Toms mistook the Eden Roc flats for the neighbouring hotel they were staying in and, taken in by the illusion a garden was on the other side, stepped over the wall.

Initially, officers said Tom Channon fell from a balcony — but there are no balconies on that side of the building.

The cops’ approach has infuriated John, who flew to Magaluf with brother-in-law Stephen O’Brien, 53. He said: “It feels as if the authorities were quick to lump Tom’s death in with the drunken balcony deaths which are sadly common in the resort.

“They told us he may have been trying to cross the ‘garden’ to the hotel next door, as a light shines through at night from that hotel.”
Attachments
NINTCHDBPICT000421592984.jpg
NINTCHDBPICT000421592984.jpg (91.74 KiB) Viewed 5265 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:21 pm

Thomas Channon's family are incensed at that nothing has been done after his death
Attachments
NINTCHDBPICT000421384031.jpg
NINTCHDBPICT000421384031.jpg (232.84 KiB) Viewed 5254 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Bluebirdforlife77 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:49 pm

I confused by this thread. Are we saying there’s a killer pushing them over?? Unsafe balconies?? My impression as sad as it is poor decisions were made by people in high spirits.
Bluebirdforlife77

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:25 pm

Bluebirdforlife77 wrote:I confused by this thread. Are we saying there’s a killer pushing them over?? Unsafe balconies?? My impression as sad as it is poor decisions were made by people in high spirits.

Well the police on all occasions have quickly made out it's due to drink without proper due diligence are they hiding something? And there is only 2ft wall stopping a 70ft fall scandalous situation :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby marky1927 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:32 pm

surely the travel companies have a duty of care to its customers,this hotel would never have been allowed in the uk or most of north eu nations,it was totally unsafe, if it was a building site in the uk it would have been shut immediately and the site manager and directors facing prosecution . This is why sites are made safe so if you should have a few drinks to much,like we all do or did we don'tfall to our death by accident..
marky1927

Postby Endangered species » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Really sad and they look like a smashing family........with a teenage daughter currently in Ibiza I can really relate to how they feel
Endangered species

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:52 am

Absolutely devastating for his family and friends. You would have thought there would be a proper investigation into this especially as this is the 3rd time now so something is obviously not right. The sad thing is that he wasn’t even staying in those apartments so I do wonder if he had a few to drink and wondered there by accident mistaking it for his own apartments but don’t want to make any assumptions as I don’t know the facts. That said whether he was drunk or not, if it appears a real hazard having looked at the site, there should be measures put in place to prevent this happening again. If it’s unsafe then I’m surprised travel companies don’t put a stop to people going there. It’s hard though as we don’t know the exact facts.
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:39 am

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:Absolutely devastating for his family and friends. You would have thought there would be a proper investigation into this especially as this is the 3rd time now so something is obviously not right. The sad thing is that he wasn’t even staying in those apartments so I do wonder if he had a few to drink and wondered there by accident mistaking it for his own apartments but don’t want to make any assumptions as I don’t know the facts. That said whether he was drunk or not, if it appears a real hazard having looked at the site, there should be measures put in place to prevent this happening again. If it’s unsafe then I’m surprised travel companies don’t put a stop to people going there. It’s hard though as we don’t know the exact facts.

The holiday company involved in 1st incident should raised questions and after 2nd incident alarm bells should been rung and complex boycotted! And now uk gvmnt should step in and as for holiday companies they've been conspicuous by their absence have not read one word about their concerns? Even if these people travelled independently any uk company using this complex should boycott it until ll safety measures are implemented :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Jimmy Scoular » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:09 am

Do not expect much from the Spanish Plod they will assume young Brits equals drunkenness and stupidity irrespective of the glaringly obvious failures within this complex. Poor kids , young lives lost their families must be distraught.
Jimmy Scoular

Return to General Chat