Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sky Sports: " Marko Grujic "

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:24 pm

Cardiff manager Neil Warnock says he is optimistic about signing Marko Grujic

Sky Sports

Saturday 21st July 2018

Neil Warnock says he is optimistic about bringing Liverpool midfielder Marko Grujic back to Cardiff City before the end of the transfer window.

Grujic played for the Bluebirds last season on loan, scoring one goal in 14 appearances.

Speaking after Friday night's 1-1 friendly at Torquay, the Cardiff manager was asked about re-signing the Serbian international.

Warnock told Sky Sports News: "I'm always optimistic. You've got to be at my age.

"We were a bit thin on the ground (in midfield) against Torquay in that area without Aaron Gunnarson as well so it shows we've got to make sure we get somebody in, in that position."

Warnock has already made four signings this summer with the arrivals of Bobby Reid, Greg Cunningham, Josh Murphy and Alex Smithies.

When asked if he is close to bringing in any other new players, he said: "No not really.

"A couple of new names have been mentioned. There are always going to be names crop up that will probably surprise you and you think 'wow, didn't think he'd be available' but sometimes they are."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Sky Sports: " Marko Grujic "

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Warnock sheds light on problematic Marko Grujic transfer

The Kop

Saturday 21st July 2018

Neil Warnock insists he remains confident of re-signing Marko Grujic amid uncertainty over the player’s next step.

Grujic worked under Warnock at Cardiff City over the second half of last season and has been linked to a second loan deal following the club’s promotion to the Premier League.

The Serbian made 14 starts for the Bluebirds after Liverpool introduced a clause in his deal designed to inflict financial punishment on Cardiff if he didn’t receive the game-time that was required.

Though his form fizzled out towards the end of the campaign, Grujic proved a useful addition to Warnock’s squad and has since been targeted to bolster Cardiff’s slim midfield cohort.

What first looked to be a straight forward return to the Welsh club recently took an uncertain twist when Warnock slammed Grujic’s agent for pursuing more money elsewhere for his client.

Despite the difficulties, the Cardiff boss remains hopeful that an agreement can be reached.

Discussing Grujic after Friday’s 1-1 draw with Torquay, he told reporters: “We are always optimistic – you’ve got to be at my age,” per the Express.

“It’s one of those things. We were a bit thin on the ground tonight in that area without Aron Gunnarsson as well. We have to make sure we get someone in in that position.”

Grujic only returned to Melwood on Friday having been granted an extended break following his involvement at the World Cup with Serbia.

The 22-year-old has been named in the 29-man Liverpool squad that will compete across the USA in the International Champions Cup pre-season tournament over the next week.

Cardiff’s more direct style of play may be of contrast to Liverpool’s approach, but the Welsh side offer a valuable opportunity for Grujic to enhance his tactical discipline and decision making under the guile and experience of Warnock.

Regular minutes in the Premier League is an offer that can’t be refused if he is intent on playing in the top flight for Liverpool one day.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:29 pm

I'd say this has gone on long enough actually.

Marko Grujic is a young player with good potential and he could develop / would have developed well at Cardiff City with Neil Warnock.

However, much as I liked him and had high hopes, he wasn't either that marvellous or consistent during his previous loan. I'd have loved to have seen him back and I think both he and Cardiff City would have benefitted from that, but if his commitment is in doubt we'd be better looking for alternatives at this point.

The very essence of Cardiff's success this far has been hard work and commitment to the success of the team , and just as important is the absence of "big time Charlies" as Sir Neil puts it. Thus, I'm detecting the disruptive odour of self accorded grandeur here, and that needs nipping in the bud.

Time for a 24 hour ultimatum I'd say, after which we get on with it or look elsewhere immediately.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:00 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:I'd say this has gone on long enough actually.

Marko Grujic is a young player with good potential and he could develop / would have developed well at Cardiff City with Neil Warnock.

However, much as I liked him and had high hopes, he wasn't either that marvellous or consistent during his previous loan. I'd have loved to have seen him back and I think both he and Cardiff City would have benefitted from that, but if his commitment is in doubt we'd be better looking for alternatives at this point.

The very essence of Cardiff's success this far has been hard work and commitment to the success of the team , and just as important is the absence of "big time Charlies" as Sir Neil puts it. Thus, I'm detecting the disruptive odour of self accorded grandeur here, and that needs nipping in the bud.

Time for a 24 hour ultimatum I'd say, after which we get on with it or look elsewhere immediately.
You are spot on. He has potential but -as you point out-was neither marvellous nor consistent last season. From what i saw he would be a usaeful addition but is not the experienced midfield general we are crying out for. Certainly not worth waiting too long for.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:37 pm

Time to move on from this one,if he wanted to come he'd have signed by now.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:22 pm

If people don't see that this guy is far too suited to the Premier League then they really need to consider looking into football more.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:49 pm

We are not in any position to make demands as we are asking a favour from Liverpool and the player. Agents also complicate matters and it is simply nonsense to start making deadlines. NW will have a plan B if MG doesn't sign for this season but clearly he has this player in his plans.

NW knows how to play the long game and I trust him whatever he does.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:51 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:If people don't see that this guy is far too suited to the Premier League then they really need to consider looking into football more.

A bit of a statement considering he hasn't really played much PL football but my gut feeling is you are right. :thumbup:

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:40 pm

It's now time for Warnock to bring what is rapidly turning into a farce to a conclusion one way or another,do it today then concentrate on bringing a few more players of quality into the club

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:50 pm

Marko Grujic was only first choice while Gunnar was injured after that he was in and out of the team we are trying to loan not buy him and his potential if reached would unlikely be this season and the amount of time it's dragged on I feel we are better off turning to possibly a better alternative the only person losing out then would be Grujic game time and future potential because of a greedy agent

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:12 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:We are not in any position to make demands as we are asking a favour from Liverpool and the player. Agents also complicate matters and it is simply nonsense to start making deadlines. NW will have a plan B if MG doesn't sign for this season but clearly he has this player in his plans.

NW knows how to play the long game and I trust him whatever he does.

No ones doing us any favours and we are in a position to make demands because we'd be paying all or part of his 18k a week wages . Liverpool benefit because they keep the option on him without having to risk him in premiership games themselves and since they actually won't do that, the player benefits from game time in the premiership rather than languishing in Liverpool reserves till it's too late for him to progress.
In a sense we are the ones taking all the risks here and I don't like this deferential stance.
I'm sure Sir Neil knows what he's doing but if we took that as a disbarment to discussion this place would be out of business.

Bottom line on this is that we can't bugger about much longer because we have to play real games in about three weeks and we need to know who we've got to pick from. No player is so important that he's indispensable and this one certainly isn't .

I like the boy and I think he'd do well, but it's time to sign or get off the pot.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:13 pm

Can you swear in here by the way ?

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:If people don't see that this guy is far too suited to the Premier League then they really need to consider looking into football more.

A bit of a statement considering he hasn't really played much PL football but my gut feeling is you are right. :thumbup:

Just his natural ability really, I think at Championship because of his inexperience he was often targeted a lot by some teams we played for that he thought he had more time on the ball than he realised.

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:48 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Can you swear in here by the way ?

depends who you are...