Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Lee Tomlin and Anthony Pilkington

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Lee Tomlin and Anthony Pilkington are not part of the plan

Any doubt over the pair’s status at the club was brought to an end with their appearances for the Under-23s. It was odd to see Tomlin and Pilkington – both experienced players with decent Championship reputations – play alongside the young Bluebirds, but Warnock was keen they both got minutes under their belts so they can earn good moves elsewhere.

Tomlin’s Cardiff career will always feel like a case of what might have been, while Pilkington will undoubtedly move on with a decent Bluebirds legacy given his role in the promotion last season. Both should be picked up by Championship sides and thrive in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Lee Tomlin and Anthony Pilkington

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:48 am

Really sad to see Pilks go but unfortunately he isn't good enough anymore.

Tomlin ruined it for himself really. He's overweight and has never been 100% fit.
If he'd sorted his act out then he would've been a decent addition to the 25 imo.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:25 am

I still don't know what Pilkington has done wrong? Warnock praises his attitude and dedication, he played well home to Hull, scored the crucial equaliser at Sheffield United and did well whenever he was given minutes last season. Pilkington will be an excellent signing for whichever Championship club decides to take him.

I hope we can offload Tomlin, simply because that will free up space for us to bring in another centre midfielder. We are still a minimum of 2 centre midfielders light in my opinion and these 2 centre midfielders will have to be Premiership quality to improve the squad.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:54 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I still don't know what Pilkington has done wrong? Warnock praises his attitude and dedication, he played well home to Hull, scored the crucial equaliser at Sheffield United and did well whenever he was given minutes last season. Pilkington will be an excellent signing for whichever Championship club decides to take him.

I hope we can offload Tomlin, simply because that will free up space for us to bring in another centre midfielder. We are still a minimum of 2 centre midfielders light in my opinion and these 2 centre midfielders will have to be Premiership quality to improve the squad.

I don't mind Pilks but on a reported big wage I don't see where he fits in, he doesn't have the pace to play wide in our system and I just don't think he cuts it as a striker either albeit he scored some important goals for us. But now we need better. I would think we will end up partly paying him off or loaning and paying towards his wages.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:11 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I don't mind Pilks but on a reported big wage I don't see where he fits in, he doesn't have the pace to play wide in our system and I just don't think he cuts it as a striker either albeit he scored some important goals for us. But now we need better. I would think we will end up partly paying him off or loaning and paying towards his wages.

That has always been the problem he just doesn't have a natural position and certainly doesn't fit into a Warnock side. His only possible role could be as an impact player when we are chasing games and throwing players forward.

That wouldn't really be fair on him as he has already spent most of last season on the side lines.

He would be a great signing for a host of Championship sides and I would wish him well if he goes.