Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

REID WILL ADD CLINICAL TOUCH FOR BLUEBIRDS

Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:55 pm

Reid will add clinical touch to Cardiff
By Adrian Clarke

Monday 23rd July 2018

Adrian Clarke analyses the tactical impact Premier League summer signings will have on their clubs and says the Cardiff City striker (signed from Bristol City) will bring a new dimension to promoted side's attack

Bobby Reid

What a difference a year makes. Twelve months ago Bobby Reid was a wide man on the periphery of Bristol City’s first team.

But since Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson reinvented him as a striker last summer the 25-year-old has not looked back.

Scoring 19 Championship goals, as well as providing seven assists, Reid was signed by Cardiff City for their return to the Premier League.

Catching the eye with his skill and movement, plus possessing a poacher’s instinct, Reid was involved in 38 per cent of Bristol City’s goals last term.

He will provide Neil Warnock with something fresh ahead their latest tilt at life in the Premier League.

Options for Neil Warnock

Teams managed by Warnock almost always feature a strong target man. Both Kenneth Zohore and Gary Madine fit the bill.

Scoring from set-pieces and second balls looks set to remain a key part of Warnock's strategy.

But, Reid’s arrival from Ashton Gate is fascinating because it offers the Cardiff manager a contrasting alternative.

Reid is not a physical presence, but can back into defenders to lead the line well.

He boasted a respectable 79 per cent pass accuracy last season, so there is potential to use him as a lone striker.

If that happens, his pressing and lively runs will give rival defenders a different type of headache.

Potential partnership

Warnock may also use him as a partner to Zohore or Madine.

Reid is excellent at dropping into pockets of space to turn and link play, and will always try and create clever one-twos in and around the box.

A little-and-large forward combination could work effectively for Warnock.

Clinical finisher

Reid is a more ruthless finisher than Zohore and Madine.

Receiving far fewer goal opportunities than his new team-mates, he showed a superior clinical edge throughout 2017/18.

This could prove crucial. Cardiff scored 13 fewer goals than Wolverhampton Wanderers and 10 fewer than Fulham, the other two promoted sides. Finishing was not the Bluebirds' strong point.

Reid has natural predatory instincts, latching on to rebounds, crosses or knockdowns in or near the six-yard box.

While predominantly right-footed, he can finish with his left foot, and his head, too.

When you study Reid’s shot-goal conversion rate it is easy to see why Warnock wanted his services.

This season will be a step into the unknown for a player who has never performed in the top tier before, but he should excite the fans in south Wales.

Reid is an effervescent striker with the potential to trouble Premier League defenders.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: REID WILL ADD CLINICAL TOUCH FOR BLUEBIRDS

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:43 pm

It often happens that a winger turns into a decent striker. The most famous must be Thierry Henry although we did it with Paul Parry!

Reid looks an exciting prospect I just wonder if there is any way he could work with Paterson who seems to be out of a very similar mould.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:It often happens that a winger turns into a decent striker. The most famous must be Thierry Henry although we did it with Paul Parry!

Reid looks an exciting prospect I just wonder if there is any way he could work with Paterson who seems to be out of a very similar mould.

You are comparing Reid with Paterson saying that they are from the same mould !! can I have what your drinking please

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:31 pm

soldierblue1880 wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:It often happens that a winger turns into a decent striker. The most famous must be Thierry Henry although we did it with Paul Parry!

You are comparing Reid with Paterson saying that they are from the same mould !! can I have what your drinking please

Was thinking the same. As players they are more like chalk & cheese!

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:16 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
soldierblue1880 wrote:

Agreed, very different styles.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:25 pm

nubbsy wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
soldierblue1880 wrote:

Agreed, very different styles.

Completely different players yes, but both are options as attacking midfielders. Reid looks like a tricky No 10 or striker. Pato has been converted into a destroyer in attacking midfield. Brilliant options for Warnock, there’s a plan B right there with Pato off the bench.