Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NINE PREMIER LEAGUE CLUBS HIKE SEASON TICKET PRICES

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:17 am

Nine greedy Premier League football clubs hike up season ticket prices - despite sharing £5billion TV rights package
By Stephen Hayward and Alex Miller

Monday 23rd July 2018

Spurs, Fulham, West Ham, Wolves, Newcastle, Crystal Palace, Watford, Cardiff City and Man City have bumped up the costs of the entries to inflation-busting levels, figures show

Nine greedy Premier League football clubs have raised their season ­ticket prices – despite sharing in a £5billion TV rights package.

While 11 of 20 sides froze prices, fans at Spurs, Fulham, West Ham, Wolves, Newcastle, Crystal Palace, Watford, Cardiff City and Man City face inflation-busting hikes.

Arsenal top the league with a cheapest option at £891, despite freezing prices after missing out on the Champions League next season. North London rivals Spurs overtook Chelsea as the second most expensive club after a £100 hike to £795.

And newly promoted Wolves raised their cheapest season tickets by £125 to £509 – up 32.5 per cent. TV and sponsorship deals have diminished the importance of gate receipts as clubs no longer need supporters’ cash to pay players’ wages.

Sky, BT and Amazon are paying for domestic rights to the Premier League in a three-year deal from 2019 to 2022.

The Football Supporters Federation said: “The Premier League rakes in billions in broadcasting revenue and fans are an integral of that ‘product’ broadcasters pay so handsomely for.

“Clubs should be using the billions to ensure their traditional crowd is protected. Lower income fans shouldn’t be priced out.”

A Spurs spokesman said the rise reflected the team’s return to White Hart Lane in a new £1billion ground with “uninterrupted views” and “comfortable modern seating” after a stint at Wembley last season.

Meanwhile, Manchester United last week unveiled the Premier League’s most expensive kit at nearly £193.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NINE PREMIER LEAGUE CLUBS HIKE SEASON TICKET PRICES

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:22 am

I think the term 'greedy' is a little harsh on some of those clubs; particularly (clearly Wolves apart) those who have gone up from the Championship

The Norff Landan clubs, along with Chelski and Liverpool are clearly in a League of their own, whilst Cardiff City haven't added much to last season's tickets, despite their elevation to the Premier League

Man City need to be applauded if those prices are correct :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:37 am

I’m sorry but this article the facts they have stated is bullshit.

Just been on Man Utd store and their kit is definitely cheaper than what is quoted here.

Regarding ticket prices I haven’t had a change to my season ticket at Cardiff so where are these figures coming from

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:57 am

ReeseBluebird1927 wrote:I’m sorry but this article the facts they have stated is bullshit.

Just been on Man Utd store and their kit is definitely cheaper than what is quoted here.

Regarding ticket prices I haven’t had a change to my season ticket at Cardiff so where are these figures coming from

Can't comment on Man Utd kits, as I don't want one! ;)

In relation to Cardiff City tickets, I think you'll find the increase is there for 'new' purchasers not 'renewing' :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:23 am

Arsenal have got some nerve mind :shock:
Not sure why people continue to buy them...

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:19 am

That article is a bit shit especially where us and man city etc are classed as greedy for £300ish ST when others who have frozen ST yet still charge 5/6/700 +

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:15 am

Sven wrote:
ReeseBluebird1927 wrote:I’m sorry but this article the facts they have stated is bullshit.

In relation to Cardiff City tickets, I think you'll find the increase is there for 'new' purchasers not 'renewing' :ayatollah:

It’s still laughable they call us greedy with a £30 increase lol

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 am

ReeseBluebird1927 wrote:
Sven wrote:

And with an increase in the product offered, I think that's pretty acceptable. Still nearly a third of what arsenal offer! Who's greedy?!

Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:13 am

I read something about the United kit the other day, the £193 is for an exact version of the United kit they actually wear.
A replica adults top is around £60

Not quite sure why they make different types of kit but that was the answer. You would assume a replica is well a replica :lol:

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:02 pm

I’m happy we hiked our prices as soon as we got promoted, serves the twats right who were waiting for premier league

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:08 pm

Promoted clubs = 3 of the 9!? What do they expect Championship prices in Prem? I mean fair play to Huddersfield, but I’d hardly call 80% of that list Greedy. Arsenal, a club who notoriously pay lower wages and lower summer transfer spending over last 10 years and they charge that!?

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:17 pm

British football fans have been ripped off for years. Match tickets are not cheap, particularly if you are taking your children. Replica kits are an absolute ridiculous price, but no real surprise as we are no longer fans, we are customers. Years back this was a game for everyone to enjoy, and the club was almost part of the community. Just big business now with money out of control, and many fans virtually priced out of it. The PL is all about money, tv revenue, sponsorship, players wages etc. Us fans are way down the pecking order. :old:

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:37 pm

Its a very lazy journalism to say that we 'hiked' our prices. Of course our prices have increased as we were in a lower division last season.

Saying that, prices are shocking compared to other European leagues.

Also, as TV packages for premier league games become more competitive with more choice since the sky stranglehold has been broken, it seems that the committed fan who attends games do not benefit at - they are expected to continue to pay higher and increasing prices to watch games live.

I think there should be a cap on the amount clubs charge for tickets, certainly in certain sections of the ground.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:38 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:Its a very lazy journalism to say that we 'hiked' our prices. Of course our prices have increased as we were in a lower division last season.

Also, as TV packages for premier league games become more competitive with more choice since the sky stranglehold has been broken, it seems that the committed fan who attends games do not benefit at - they are expected to continue to pay higher and increasing prices to watch games live.

I think there should be a cap on the amount clubs charge for tickets, certainly in certain sections of the ground.

Agree with you. I first started going to Ninian Park back in the late 60's. If admission prices had gone up in line with inflation, we should be able to get in to see a match for less than £5. Admittedly, we are now one division higher, and I used to pay to stand on the Bob Bank rather than a seat which would have cost a bit extra. Even so, you can see just how much more we are now expected to fork out as customers rather than fans.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:42 pm

All football fans in prem are mugs. Dont pay and dont go and watch on telly with a mass boycott.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:26 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:Its a very lazy journalism to say that we 'hiked' our prices. Of course our prices have increased as we were in a lower division last season.

Agree with you. I first started going to Ninian Park back in the late 60's. If admission prices had gone up in line with inflation, we should be able to get in to see a match for less than £5. Admittedly, we are now one division higher, and I used to pay to stand on the Bob Bank rather than a seat which would have cost a bit extra. Even so, you can see just how much more we are now expected to fork out as customers rather than fans.

to be fair it's a different product nowadays. modern stadium and the associated facilities, with premier league football now on offer.

i think cardiff city prices are reasonable, but agree there should be some sort of premier league control on the prices charged, given that tickets now make such a small percentage of revenues.

i do my bit to ensure lower prices by boycotting away fixtures where the prices are too high. sadly this is the only way to bring prices down.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:12 pm

ReeseBluebird1927 wrote:
Sven wrote:

Yes, I alluded to that in my initial response to the OP :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:30 am

BlueMoon1974 wrote:All football fans in prem are mugs. Dont pay and dont go and watch on telly with a mass boycott.

Yeah ok.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:00 am

For anyone interested price quoted for man u kit in this article is exactly the same shirt team wears with High tech material ect ect, most sports do this now? what is in superstore are replicas at around £90 :thumbup:

Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:14 am

Last year our cheapest season ticket averaged out at £13 a match This year it is £17.31 which is close to a 30% increase on a match basis but still bloody good value for most people