' Cardiff City fail to re-sign Liverpool midfielder '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby BluebirdsTilIDie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:12 am

Warnock said: “Grujic looks like he will stay put.

“I think he would be better off here but it is a contract issue, I understand his point of view.

“Liverpool have four competitions before Christmas and he can play in those without being named in the 25-man squad.

“I have missed out on a couple of targets waiting for him. It is disappointing as everything was agreed with Liverpool, but sometimes fate intervenes.”

Cardiff City have missed out on re-signing Liverpool midfielder Marko Grujic on loan.

Saturday 4th August 2018

Grujic, 22, joined Cardiff in January and played 14 times as they secured promotion to the Premier League.

Bluebirds manager Neil Warnock had been confident in re-signing the Serbia international for a second spell.

"Grujic looks like he will stay put... I think he would be better off here but it is a contract issue, I understand his point of view," Warnock said.

"Liverpool have four competitions before Christmas and he can play in those without being named in the 25-man squad."

Grujic has made eight substitute appearances in the Premier League for Liverpool since joining from Red Star Belgrade for £5.1m in January 2016, when he became Jurgen Klopp's first signing as Reds boss.

Warnock admitted that Cardiff had cooled their interest on other potential signings in the expectation that Grujic would return to Cardiff City Stadium rather than remain at Anfield.

"I have missed out on a couple of targets waiting for him, it is disappointing as everything was agreed with Liverpool. But sometimes fate intervenes," Warnock said.

"We need a couple of midfielders and a striker. We are really short in midfield."

Cardiff have signed four players so far this summer, all from the Championship, with forward Bobby Reid joining from Bristol City, winger Josh Murphy from Norwich City, defender Greg Cunningham from Preston North End and goalkeeper Alex Smithies from Queens Park Rangers.

Warnock has been in negotiations with Villareal over signing midfielder Alfred N'Diaye, but says links to Watford striker Troy Deeney are unlikely to lead to his signing.

We have been linked with Alfred N'Diaye, we have spoken to the club involved but I think the package is a bit beyond us," Warnock said.

"Troy Deeney, I read we offered £15m! That is ridiculous really.

"It makes me smile really. We get calls from agents and I think 'that will be in the newspapers tomorrow'."

Cardiff, the bookmakers' favourites to be relegated, will need to move swiftly if they are to bolster their squad before the transfer window closes on 9 August.

The Bluebirds begin their Premier League campaign on Saturday, 11 August away to Bournemouth
Attachments
0_Rotherham-United-v-Cardiff-City-Pre-Season-Friendly.jpg
0_Rotherham-United-v-Cardiff-City-Pre-Season-Friendly.jpg (29.51 KiB) Viewed 4838 times
BluebirdsTilIDie

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' Cardiff City fail to re-sign Liverpool midfielder '

Postby fred keenor » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:17 am

Also potentially another injury to a CM.
NW quoted as saying we are lighter in midfield than people think.
Can see Tomlin coming back into the fold, it may be we have no other options.
fred keenor

Postby Bluebird-in-Jackland » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:20 am

I’m glad in a way that he’s come out as said this and the fact he’s said the Deeney thing was nonsense. I would have liked Grujic but if it can’t happen best to move on. Only problem now sounds like we could potentially be panicking a bit now, as he states we missed out on a couple waiting on Grujic.
Bluebird-in-Jackland

Postby theclaw » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:20 am

Can’t understand why we had cooled on other potential midfielders when we obviously needed two anyway.
Clock is ticking.
theclaw

Postby bluebird1972 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:20 am

Big fan of NW but got to say disappointed with this if true, leaves us looking bit desperate with a week in transfer window
bluebird1972

Postby ajbr14 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:27 am

Was always going to happen, we waited so long for someone who was pretty average when he signed in January. I’m just shocked that we still haven’t been linked with any defensive reinforcements, particularly a right back. We obviously need a striker as well. Its going to be a long season. Just hope Warnock doesn’t refer to it as a bonus season when we’re bottom at Xmas! Fingers crossed we can get a couple of decent signings over the line.
ajbr14

Postby Jonny88 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:31 am

Waiting around almost a full window for Grujic you can expect to miss out on signings players won't wait around forever and anyone we see as good enough are bound to be looked at by others should of told him if you don't want to join then we will sign someone else in the beginning
Jonny88

Postby dazza » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:32 am

The problem we got now is every club know we are desperate for a midfielder and the price will go up, loan players also know this and will demand a digger deal.

This should have been sorted out weeks ago and as soon as grujic started to put the breaks on we should have moved on.

I think we will fail to sign any more players in this window.
dazza

Postby BluebirdsTilIDie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:34 am

Only positive they might spend a bit more money instead of just looking for Cheap buys and loans etc not that it’s a necessary but could help during the season
BluebirdsTilIDie

Postby montyblue » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:34 am

Have our funds dried up to the extent that we can't even sign
Villarreal mid fielder alfred n diaye neil thinks the package is a bit to much if thats the case with about 5 days to fill a mid field player is going to have to come from league 1 he ' s going to have stiff competition from championship sides who are all looking for the bargains . i think we have spent 24 mill fulham 65 mill things must really tight and considering we have to go with what we got till january and he admits himself we need 2 in midfield and a striker surely this is the time to stump up a bit more cash and we did have bit more to play with with promotion money .
montyblue

Postby Llan_Blue » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:38 am

dazza wrote:The problem we got now is every club know we are desperate for a midfielder and the price will go up, loan players also know this and will demand a digger deal.

This should have been sorted out weeks ago and as soon as grujic started to put the breaks on we should have moved on.

How can a loan player demand a bigger deal?

They get paid what there current contract is with there club they are currently with.
Llan_Blue

Postby TrueBlue99 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:39 am

Glad he's said that he's looking at getting a couple midfielders in, shame about Grujic looks like he will be in Liverpool reserves most of the season but now we desperately need to try and get some different targets in.

If the worst happens and we do get a couple injuries in midfield, I think he will use Jazz as a emergency option in the middle of the park, not ideal but hes done okay when been used there the odd few times.
TrueBlue99

Postby dazza » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:41 am

montyblue wrote:Have our funds dried up to the extent that we can't even sign
Villarreal mid fielder alfred n diaye neil thinks the package is a bit to much if thats the case with about 5 days to fill a mid field player is going to have to come from league 1 he ' s going to have stiff competition from championship sides who are all looking for the bargains . i think we have spent 24 mill fulham 65 mill things must really tight and considering we have to go with what we got till january and he admits himself we need 2 in midfield and a striker surely this is the time to stump up a bit more cash and we did have bit more to play with with promotion money .

I get the feeling we have spent all our money! Warnock said we would have a small budget this summer! I think he said about half of what Huddersfield spent last year, so that would be about 20 million.
dazza

Postby dazza » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:43 am

Llan_Blue wrote:
dazza wrote:The problem we got now is every club know we are desperate for a midfielder and the price will go up, loan players also know this and will demand a digger deal.

How can a loan player demand a bigger deal?

They get paid what there current contract is with there club they are currently with.

Wages yes but win and clean sheet bonuses are down the loan club to sort out.
dazza

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:43 am

Cardiff boss confirms disappointment as Bluebirds miss out on Liverpool man

Saturday 4th August 2018

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock has spoken of his disappointment at missing out on another loan move for Liverpool midfielder Marko Grujic.

Grujic spent the second half of last season on loan at Cardiff, helping them win promotion back into the Premier League, and Warnock wanted his services again.

However, it looks as if the Bluebirds have missed out on the Serbian midfielder, with Warnock revealing his dissatisfaction.

Warnock said: “Grujic looks like he will stay put.

“I think he would be better off here but it is a contract issue, I understand his point of view.

“Liverpool have four competitions before Christmas and he can play in those without being named in the 25-man squad.

“I have missed out on a couple of targets waiting for him. It is disappointing as everything was agreed with Liverpool, but sometimes fate intervenes.”

Grujic has also been linked with Serie A trio Lazio, AC Milan and Atalanta this summer, but could now be set to stay on Merseyside.
Attachments
Marko-Grujic-Cardiff-TEAMtalk.jpg
Marko-Grujic-Cardiff-TEAMtalk.jpg (86.75 KiB) Viewed 4146 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Re: Updated: Cardiff City fail to re-sign Liverpool midfield

Postby BluebirdsTilIDie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:45 am

What’s been updated Annis since the original post?
BluebirdsTilIDie

Postby Bluebird-in-Jackland » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:51 am

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:What’s been updated Annis since the original post?

Exactly what I’ve just spent 5 minutes trying to work out!
Bluebird-in-Jackland

Postby BluebirdsTilIDie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:55 am

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:

:lol: nothing by the looks of it
BluebirdsTilIDie

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:13 pm

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:
Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:

:lol: nothing by the looks of it

The title said something like "Warnock reveals disappointment" didn't it, so I think the title has been changed?

I said it before and I will say it again, strengthening the centre midfield should have been our first priority this season. Looks like we've spent the majority of our budget on a goalkeeper, defender, winger and attacker and now we have very little left to bring in a centre midfielder of any decent quality.

We are massively short of numbers and massively short of quality in our centre midfield area and Warnock has missed out on other targets while waiting for Grujic, who was average at best last season at Championship level and wouldn't have been mobile enough for us in the Premiership in my opinion.

I would like to know who the other targets were, but Warnock chose to gamble and wait for Grujic as he was his number 1 target, that's a massive concern for me. I have little hope we have any funds left to bring in anyone to strengthen our centre midfield if Grujic was our top target. Our only hope is if Warnock finds an unknown gem for peanuts, or Tan backs Warnock with additional funds to bring in the two extra quality centre midfielders we need to give us a chance.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby Crayfish » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Bad business by Warnock and the board. We have allowed the player to bugger us about whilst you have to suspect he never has any intention of signing for us and in the absence of a transfer prefers to play for Liverpool reserves.should have issued him an ultimatum a week ago. We are now scrambling around for a badly needed replacement. It all looks a bit amateurish on our part.
Crayfish

Postby dicey1966 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:35 pm

For all Neil's experience. I. Can't help thinking he's been too trusting and shown some naviety with this guy.

Surely Tomlin needs to start today.
dicey1966

Postby FloridaBluebird » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:39 pm

Sad to say it, but I don’t really feel sympathy for NW at the moment. All summer we’ve had a first team hole smack in the middle. NW signs a second keeper, second LB/CB, a forward and a couple of wingers all to provide depth to positions already happily manned.
If I went to the emergency room bleeding out You wouldn’t give me paracetamol for my headache now would you?
After Grujic’s last interview we all saw he wasn’t interested - we should have been banging on the door of viable options...
We’ll have Bryson and Halford back you watch...
FloridaBluebird

Postby City Slicker » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:49 pm

FloridaBluebird wrote:Sad to say it, but I don’t really feel sympathy for NW at the moment. All summer we’ve had a first team hole smack in the middle. NW signs a second keeper, second LB/CB, a forward and a couple of wingers all to provide depth to positions already happily manned.
If I went to the emergency room bleeding out You wouldn’t give me paracetamol for my headache now would you?
After Grujic’s last interview we all saw he wasn’t interested - we should have been banging on the door of viable options...

Pity help us, I hope you're wrong on your final point. I think with less than a week to go to finalize new signings Tan has to release some emergency funding? What happened to the nearly £200 million we were expecting to get?
City Slicker

Postby Igovernor » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:58 pm

People are worrying too much, there will be 2/3 players coming in next week, do you honestly think that warnock has guessed that grusic may not come, and that we really have missed out on other players, we have one ready to come, warnock is not daft, players we are interested in will come when their club has replacements in or the finaly decide their player is not needed, have some faith, we will be ok, even if its on the last day of the window!
Igovernor

Postby englishbluebird » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:04 pm

Igovernor wrote:People are worrying too much, there will be 2/3 players coming in next week, do you honestly think that warnock has guessed that grusic may not come, and that we really have missed out on other players, we have one ready to come, warnock is not daft, players we are interested in will come when their club has replacements in or the finaly decide their player is not needed, have some faith, we will be ok, even if its on the last day of the window!

Agree completely ,well said :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
"Like we give a f**k about the Carling Cup"-6Bysedd
englishbluebird

Postby Carlossus » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:09 pm

City Slicker wrote:
FloridaBluebird wrote:Sad to say it, but I don’t really feel sympathy for NW at the moment. All summer we’ve had a first team hole smack in the middle. NW signs a second keeper, second LB/CB, a forward and a couple of wingers all to provide depth to positions already happily manned.

Pity help us, I hope you're wrong on your final point. I think with less than a week to go to finalize new signings Tan has to release some emergency funding? What happened to the nearly £200 million we were expecting to get?

Appreciate your concerns, but not quite with you on this one mate.and I myself have said all along we need a playmaker. While Bryson may not fit the mould of popular opinion on how a midfielder should play, in the circumstances he would with his tireless energy play a very good role in a spoiling strategy we will probably have to adapt. Anyway whatever I :bluescarf: shall enjoy
Carlossus

Postby RageJon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:20 pm

The beginning of every transfer window we seem as though we got things in order and then weeks move on and we panic buy or loan.
I'm a fan of Warnock but this isn't good at all
Always Know If The Juice Is Worth The Squeeze !

Utrinque Paratus
RageJon

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Igovernor wrote:People are worrying too much, there will be 2/3 players coming in next week, do you honestly think that warnock has guessed that grusic may not come, and that we really have missed out on other players, we have one ready to come, warnock is not daft, players we are interested in will come when their club has replacements in or the finaly decide their player is not needed, have some faith, we will be ok, even if its on the last day of the window!

Trouble is NW as backed himself into a corner as far as city fans are aware! No doubt he's got plans but doesn't help when he said the things he did. :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby LlwyncelynBlue » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:25 pm

At last, someone talking sense. Awful lot of bed-wetters amongst our support :shock:
LlwyncelynBlue

Postby Bluesman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:45 pm

At last. It was obvious that he did not want to come to us. Kloop had stated that he wanted him to come to us but the player held out for something different. Now let's get our skates on and get a more creative midfielder and a goalscorer. Come on Neil you know who you want. Get them ASAP.
Bluesman

Next

Return to General Chat