Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ I may be in a minority... “

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:49 am

I may be in a minority but I’m happy with our business this summer.

We haven’t broke the bank, but we have improved the squad - while keeping our best players.

Remember when we were promoted five years ago, we spent a lot of money in the summer and in the January transfer window. This included signing players on ridiculous wages, way beyond our means as a newly-promoted club.

We may well go straight back down, which would obviously be disappointing. But whether we do or not, our club is in a much better position than it’s been in years.

If we had gambled and spent £50-£80m, it doesn’t guarantee survival. We could then go down and be in an even worse financial situation than recently.

Will I be disappointed if we don’t bring someone else in? Of course. But finally I feel our club is being run sensibly, and that pleases me.

Whatever happens this season, we are going to be in a much better position in the long-term.

Re: “ I may be in a minority... “

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:54 am

I'm in the same camp as you Worcester. I can't believe the negativity of some on here and I eventually believe we will stay up and stick 2 fingers up to the pundits.

I am so glad we have not spent wildly and I for one am 100% behind the club as it's such a good club right now

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:02 am

People seem to confuse wasting millions and strengthen where is needed. The two go hand in hand to an extent, but it’s absolutely possible to do so within the money going into the premier league. It’s just sad when fans say they are happy to go back down. If Cardiff stay up with the current squad it will be the achievement of the season in the premiership.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:07 am

I’m feeling good about the season too.

I reckon that there are 12 teams in the League who are “capable” of getting dragged into a relegation battle this season. Points in the first month or two of the season are going to be hard to come by, but I think we have as good a chance of any to stay up.
I see the amount of money spent by Fulham and Wolves and I’m not sure they stand much more of a chance of staying up than we do.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:07 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:I may be in a minority but I’m happy with our business this summer.

We haven’t broke the bank, but we have improved the squad - while keeping our best players.

Remember when we were promoted five years ago, we spent a lot of money in the summer and in the January transfer window. This included signing players on ridiculous wages, way beyond our means as a newly-promoted club.

We may well go straight back down, which would obviously be disappointing. But whether we do or not, our club is in a much better position than it’s been in years.

If we had gambled and spent £50-£80m, it doesn’t guarantee survival. We could then go down and be in an even worse financial situation than recently.

Will I be disappointed if we don’t bring someone else in? Of course. But finally I feel our club is being run sensibly, and that pleases me.

Whatever happens this season, we are going to be in a much better position in the long-term.

Murphy looks an outstanding player

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:12 am

Yes we have kept the squad together and added some quality without breaking the bank, all definite pros.

But we have to get more quality through the door or were in big trouble. There's a balance and were about 2/3 players the wrong side of that balance at the moment.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:13 am

nubbsy wrote:Yes we have kept the squad together and added some quality without breaking the bank, all definite pros.

But we have to get more quality through the door or were in big trouble. There's a balance and were about 2/3 players the wrong side of that balance at the moment.

Agree ,we lost grulic, byrson,halford these need replacing

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:21 am

I'm looking forward to the season, there is going to be a lot of twists and turns along the way. There will be games we should win and we end up loosing, there will be games we should lose but end up winning.

Us as fans must stay behind the team and make the home games enjoyable for them as well. There are going to be games where we will be lucky to see 20% of the ball and we must accept that.

As for us staying up great it we do but no problem if we don't, after all we will still support Cardiff City.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:22 am

The window has not closed yet so impossible to say if we have spent well.

I quite like all the players we signed, think they all add something to the squad. However if the window closed right now id say its been a disaster of a window as the money hasn't been spent on the right areas. Luckily the window hasn't closed and I'm sure warnock will pull a few out the bag, 3 players as a bare minimum but my gut feeling is 5 will still come in.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:36 am

I agree with nubbsy .spot on post.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:52 am

[quote="2blue2handle"]The window has not closed yet so impossible to say if we have spent well.

I quite like all the players we signed, think they all add something to the squad. However if the window closed right now id say its been a disaster of a window as the money hasn't been spent on the right areas. Luckily the window hasn't closed and I'm sure warnock will pull a few out the bag, 3 players as a bare minimum but my gut feeling is 5 will still come in.[/quote

I think we will bring in 2 loan players but I think they will be squad players not 1st team regulars. I think we have spent all of our transfer budget and will have to ship out players to enable us to bring in more than 2 loans.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:11 am

wez1927 wrote:Murphy looks an outstanding player

Totally agree and I have a feeling that whatever happens to CCFC this season Murphy will enhance his reputation similar to Marshall last time.

Of course that means he will be pouched by a bigger club but we will make one hell of a profit on him :thumbup:

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:17 am

nubbsy wrote:Yes we have kept the squad together and added some quality without breaking the bank, all definite pros.

We could have blown all our PL earnings on new players and it would still be a struggle this season. Our biggest asset is togetherness and unity with a huge will to succeed. Bringing in too many players on inflated wages could damage that camaraderie.

The OP is right our transfer activity has been good for the overall wellbeing of the club.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:18 am

bluebird58 wrote:I’m feeling good about the season too.

I reckon that there are 12 teams in the League who are “capable” of getting dragged into a relegation battle this season. Points in the first month or two of the season are going to be hard to come by, but I think we have as good a chance of any to stay up.
I see the amount of money spent by Fulham and Wolves and I’m not sure they stand much more of a chance of staying up than we do.

Fulham have lost a decent chunk out of last years squad...so would have had to spend to stand still

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:21 am

dazza wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:The window has not closed yet so impossible to say if we have spent well.

I quite like all the players we signed, think they all add something to the squad. However if the window closed right now id say its been a disaster of a window as the money hasn't been spent on the right areas. Luckily the window hasn't closed and I'm sure warnock will pull a few out the bag, 3 players as a bare minimum but my gut feeling is 5 will still come in.[/quote

I think we will bring in 2 loan players but I think they will be squad players not 1st team regulars. I think we have spent all of our transfer budget and will have to ship out players to enable us to bring in more than 2 loans.

Warnock said back a few weeks ago he had 10m left but wasn't sure if he would spend it and im sure Tan wouldn't mind if he didn't. I think we will spend a bit yet.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:23 am

I do agree with OP but would have wanted to see a few additions to the squad (especially right back and central midfield) aside from acquiring some of the cream of the championship crop. If the gaffer cannot get who he wants from abroad or the PL then I'd be more than happy to see some more championship players here - don't forget he would have seen the better ones (who have not yet been sold to PL teams) last season.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:25 am

Totally agree with you Jack, we need three quality players to just stay up in the Premier League :thumbright: :bluebird:

Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:20 pm

Imagine going into the Prem with no centre halves or no full backs. Apply that to centre midfield and you get that same feeling of trepidation.

I think we've recruited well so far but come on, we have to fill those CM positions to give us a fighting chance and I'm not advocating breaking the bank. Just 2 players who can at least retain possession of a football and don't treat it like a hot potato.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:27 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:I'm in the same camp as you Worcester. I can't believe the negativity of some on here and I eventually believe we will stay up and stick 2 fingers up to the pundits.

I am so glad we have not spent wildly and I for one am 100% behind the club as it's such a good club right now

Im definetely in the same camp also . What a lot of these negative posts seem to suggest is that we are somehow unconcerned about strengthening the team, theres not a city fan that wouldnt want a stronger side but we see the positives of what we have, if we cant strenghen further theres nothing we can do about it, whats the point of moaning, just get down the ground and support what we have, if any fan cant do that then they should not be there.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:59 pm

I am happy with the players we have brought in. But it doesn’t change the fact that we are desperate for 2 CM. We knew we would need to replace Grujic and Bryson and we haven’t replaced either of them.

As it stands, it would only take Ralls to get injured and our midfield would be fucked. We struggled without him last season. Hopefully we can bring in at least 1 player before the window shuts.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Carlossus wrote:
Charlie Harper wrote:I'm in the same camp as you Worcester. I can't believe the negativity of some on here and I eventually believe we will stay up and stick 2 fingers up to the pundits.

Im definetely in the same camp also . What a lot of these negative posts seem to suggest is that we are somehow unconcerned about strengthening the team, theres not a city fan that wouldnt want a stronger side but we see the positives of what we have, if we cant strenghen further theres nothing we can do about it, whats the point of moaning, just get down the ground and support what we have, if any fan cant do that then they should not be there.[/quo

There is a massive difference between moaning and negativity and on the other hand realism.

All fans are guilty of the former at some point but too many of us are stating the bleedin' obvious for it to be simply a case of negativity. It is not moaning for moaning sake to point out something that should have been addressed as a matter of priority as soon as the transfer window opened.

True we as fans can do little to address the situation but you can't criticise people for making their feelings known.

Some on here will always put a negative slant on things but the CM issue is one that has galvanized many otherwise positive types to voice their concerns and that is being realistic not negative.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:37 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:I may be in a minority but I’m happy with our business this summer.

whilst i can agree with the majority of what you have written going up without a proven goalscorer will give us little or no chance of staying up. the formation against betis showed that he is trying to find other combinations to counter having no striker in the team.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:41 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:
Carlossus wrote:

Im definetely in the same camp also . What a lot of these negative posts seem to suggest is that we are somehow unconcerned about strengthening the team, theres not a city fan that wouldnt want a stronger side but we see the positives of what we have, if we cant strenghen further theres nothing we can do about it, whats the point of moaning, just get down the ground and support what we have, if any fan cant do that then they should not be there.[/quo

There is a massive difference between moaning and negativity and on the other hand realism.
All fans are guilty of the former at some point but too many of us are stating the bleedin' obvious for it to be simply a case of negativity. It is not moaning for moaning sake to point out something that should have been addressed as a matter of priority as soon as the transfer window opened.

True we as fans can do little to address the situation but you can't criticise people for making their feelings known.

Some on here will always put a negative slant on things but the CM issue is one that has galvanized many otherwise positive types to voice their concerns and that is being realistic not negative.

Appreciate your opinions, I was one of the first to state the obvious about our mid field but as I said whatever happens theres nothing we can do about it. I try to stay positive and there are critics who slate the likes of myself and others for being that way. There are just as many others like you said are just being realists and I have no problem with them they dont put me down and I dont put them down but unfortunately the innocents often get caught up in some unsavoury aspects of debate. Anyway it looks like Camarasa could be joining us now.Thanks for keeping it civil.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:01 pm

Carlossus wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:
Carlossus wrote:

Appreciate your opinions, I was one of the first to state the obvious about our mid field but as I said whatever happens theres nothing we can do about it. I try to stay positive and there are critics who slate the likes of myself and others for being that way. There are just as many others like you said are just being realists and I have no problem with them they dont put me down and I dont put them down but unfortunately the innocents often get caught up in some unsavoury aspects of debate. Anyway it looks like Camarasa could be joining us now.Thanks for keeping it civil.[/qu

Will always keep it civil Carlossus. It's all about having respect for other people's opinions and not resorting to verbal abuse.