Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby Gavin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:55 am

After predicting how the top six will end up this season, we challenged the Soccer Saturday pundits to name the three sides who will face relegation.

Cardiff are Sky Bet's odds-on favourites to go down as they have struggled to match the investment of Fulham (15/8) and Wolves (8/1) following promotion, while Huddersfield (11/10), Watford (15/8) and Brighton (15/8) are also expected to struggle.

However, the pundits are expecting another couple of names to be dragged into the mix...

Paul Merson: Watford, Huddersfield, Cardiff (20/1 with Sky Bet)







Watford started so well but struggled after that last season, they came good again and finished in mid-table but there was too much of a spell where they couldn't win a game. If they don't start the season well, they got over a third of their points in the first eight games last season, it could be difficult. They were virtually safe by halfway last time, but it'll be tough without a good beginning to the season.

Huddersfield won two of their first three last season, I just don't know if they can do it. They won't be beating the likes of Manchester United at home, and just going by the same thing as the tennis rankings - you've got to keep beating the same quality opponents year-on-year or you're in trouble, and I think they will be.

I don't see Cardiff having enough quality in the team. That's not being disrespectful, what Neil Warnock did last season was manager of the season material. It's like what he did at Rotherham when he kept them up after they were going nowhere.

They get the ball forward quickly, it'll work for the first five to six games, and they need to get off to a flyer, but it could catch up with them after that. Neil's one of the best Championship managers you'll ever see, but he'll be the first to admit he's not the best in the Premier League, and it comes across to me like he doesn't really enjoy it, it's not his cup of tea.

Charlie Nicholas: Cardiff, Newcastle, Fulham (66/1 with Sky Bet)

Cardiff have failed to get anybody of significance in. The facts are Fulham and Wolves have spent big and some of the sides around the relegation battle are spending a decent amount and Cardiff can't get anyone in. You have to spend significant amounts to get your targets and they look well detached from the rest of the pack right now.

Newcastle are right on the edge of it with what has been going there this summer. They did well to get the money they did for Aleksandar Mitrovic but they still can't get quality in, although I do like Kennedy. The only thing keeping this club together is the relationship between the fans and Rafael Benitez, but I genuinely hope I'm wrong with fearing it could all fall apart.

The other one for me is Fulham as I think they need another striker and I'm not sure their defence is of high enough standard.

Phil Thompson: Cardiff, Huddersfield, Bournemouth (40/1 with Sky Bet)

Fulham and Wolves have signed well, but I can't see anything other than finishing bottom for Cardiff. I think Huddersfield struggled after their energy levels dropped a bit last season and I don't think they've strengthened enough again.

I know Bournemouth have just broken their transfer record by bringing in Jefferson Lerma, but I think they were found out a bit last season. They're not strong enough defensively so really need one of their strikers to step up this season, otherwise they'll be in real trouble.

Matt Le Tissier: Cardiff, Huddersfield, Watford (20/1 with Sky Bet)

I think Neil Warnock has struggled in the Premier League as a manager. He's a fantastic Championship manager, but the Premier League doesn't seem to suit his style and the Cardiff squad doesn't fill you with confidence, especially with their lack of experience at this level. I do like the signing of Bobby Reid though, who had a fantastic goalscoring season at Bristol City.

I think Huddersfield's lack of goals might just catch them out this season. A decent start carried them a long way last season and when you get 37 points you need to improve.

This might be the third season in a row that I've tipped Watford to go down, so they'll probably be quite happy to see me backing them to go down. However, I just think this team is lacking the attacking flair and a prolific striker, with Troy Deeney struggling to recreate his early Premier League form.
Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it.
User avatar
Gavin
Moderator
 
Posts: 6277
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:46 am

Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby jimmy_rat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:58 am

All we can do is prove them all wrong...again!

Trying to search for transfer gossip on twitter all that pops up is people's predictions. I'm yet to see anyone not predict is either 19th or 20th!

Gonna enjoy being hated this year! Let's get up em
User avatar
jimmy_rat
 
Posts: 1139
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:21 pm
Location: Cheshire

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby bentheblue » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:00 am

Thats ok none off them had us to be promoted automatically or even reach the playoffs last year
bentheblue
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby bridgendbluebird30 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:11 am

Can’t argue with their assessments or reasoning. Surprised that Charlie Nicholas mentions Fulham though considering the players they have signed.

Just have to give it a go and prove them wrong.
User avatar
bridgendbluebird30
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby MOZZER1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:15 am

going to be a tall order but we proved the pundits wrong last season lets prove them wrong this season . fcuk em :bluescarf:
User avatar
MOZZER1
 
Posts: 1940
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:00 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:17 am

The pundits in the OP make absolute sense and it’s difficult to argue against especially when you see other teams bringing the quality in.
It’ll be an interesting, frustrating and hopefully an enjoyable and successful season ahead! :laughing6:

:bluescarf:
True Blue through & through.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue
 
Posts: 5605
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby StaffBluebird » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:23 am

People need to grow up and get a grip. Most of this board has been writing Cardiff for years, even last season.
StaffBluebird
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby Bluebina » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:25 am

Cardiff Huddersfield then Watford seem the favorites to go down, probably correct at this moment, let's have a good start like last season and see what happens !!!
Bluebina
 
Posts: 8464
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby Savigma » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:28 am

“I can’t see Cardiff avoiding the drop because they haven’t spent money like Fulham have”

One sentence later

“I also think Fulham will get relegated”

Then WHAT’S THE POINT IN SPENDING MONEYYYYY
Savigma
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:40 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby nojac » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:28 am

If they could predict with any certainty, they wouldn't be sitting behind a desk on a Saturday afternoon.
They would be sitting on a £100m yacht in the Caribbean.
Let's prove them wrong , yet again .
User avatar
nojac
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby eddiep » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:31 am

Checking pundits from sky and the big papers (20 different pundits)
Last season most pundits predicted pre season,

Burnley
Huddersfield
Brighton

No one picked
West brom

One picked
Stoke

Two picked
Swansea
you reap what you sow
User avatar
eddiep
 
Posts: 2547
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: Pandy Woolworths

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby Dahboy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:39 am

Gavin wrote:After predicting how the top six will end up this season, we challenged the Soccer Saturday pundits to name the three sides who will face relegation.

Cardiff are Sky Bet's odds-on favourites to go down as they have struggled to match the investment of Fulham (15/8) and Wolves (8/1) following promotion, while Huddersfield (11/10), Watford (15/8) and Brighton (15/8) are also expected to struggle.

However, the pundits are expecting another couple of names to be dragged into the mix...

Paul Merson: Watford, Huddersfield, Cardiff (20/1 with Sky Bet)

Watford started so well but struggled after that last season, they came good again and finished in mid-table but there was too much of a spell where they couldn't win a game. If they don't start the season well, they got over a third of their points in the first eight games last season, it could be difficult. They were virtually safe by halfway last time, but it'll be tough without a good beginning to the season.

Huddersfield won two of their first three last season, I just don't know if they can do it. They won't be beating the likes of Manchester United at home, and just going by the same thing as the tennis rankings - you've got to keep beating the same quality opponents year-on-year or you're in trouble, and I think they will be.

I don't see Cardiff having enough quality in the team. That's not being disrespectful, what Neil Warnock did last season was manager of the season material. It's like what he did at Rotherham when he kept them up after they were going nowhere.

They get the ball forward quickly, it'll work for the first five to six games, and they need to get off to a flyer, but it could catch up with them after that. Neil's one of the best Championship managers you'll ever see, but he'll be the first to admit he's not the best in the Premier League, and it comes across to me like he doesn't really enjoy it, it's not his cup of tea.

Charlie Nicholas: Cardiff, Newcastle, Fulham (66/1 with Sky Bet)

Cardiff have failed to get anybody of significance in. The facts are Fulham and Wolves have spent big and some of the sides around the relegation battle are spending a decent amount and Cardiff can't get anyone in. You have to spend significant amounts to get your targets and they look well detached from the rest of the pack right now.

Newcastle are right on the edge of it with what has been going there this summer. They did well to get the money they did for Aleksandar Mitrovic but they still can't get quality in, although I do like Kennedy. The only thing keeping this club together is the relationship between the fans and Rafael Benitez, but I genuinely hope I'm wrong with fearing it could all fall apart.

The other one for me is Fulham as I think they need another striker and I'm not sure their defence is of high enough standard.

Phil Thompson: Cardiff, Huddersfield, Bournemouth (40/1 with Sky Bet)

Fulham and Wolves have signed well, but I can't see anything other than finishing bottom for Cardiff. I think Huddersfield struggled after their energy levels dropped a bit last season and I don't think they've strengthened enough again.

I know Bournemouth have just broken their transfer record by bringing in Jefferson Lerma, but I think they were found out a bit last season. They're not strong enough defensively so really need one of their strikers to step up this season, otherwise they'll be in real trouble.

Matt Le Tissier: Cardiff, Huddersfield, Watford (20/1 with Sky Bet)

I think Neil Warnock has struggled in the Premier League as a manager. He's a fantastic Championship manager, but the Premier League doesn't seem to suit his style and the Cardiff squad doesn't fill you with confidence, especially with their lack of experience at this level. I do like the signing of Bobby Reid though, who had a fantastic goalscoring season at Bristol City.

I think Huddersfield's lack of goals might just catch them out this season. A decent start carried them a long way last season and when you get 37 points you need to improve.

This might be the third season in a row that I've tipped Watford to go down, so they'll probably be quite happy to see me backing them to go down. However, I just think this team is lacking the attacking flair and a prolific striker, with Troy Deeney struggling to recreate his early Premier League form.

Mate everyone on planet earth are saying the same thing. Like some other poster said let's prove them all wrong :ayatollah:
User avatar
Dahboy
 
Posts: 1509
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:53 am

Can't disagree with that. If it wasnt Cardiff and we weren't Cardiff fans would anyone disagree? Doubt it.

But we have punched above our weight before and could again.
My thoughts on the re-branding??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOjxLDcRniE

Learn the words to Men of Harlech -
Join Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro ... 6965194125
User avatar
2blue2handle
 
Posts: 27429
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby Flyingpostman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:55 am

eddiep wrote:Checking pundits from sky and the big papers (20 different pundits)
Last season most pundits predicted pre season,

Burnley
Huddersfield
Brighton

No one picked
West brom

One picked
Stoke

Two picked
Swansea




I fancy us to upset a few people and will stick a few quid on us to stay up , I fancy Southampton to be in a relegation battle most of the season .
Flyingpostman
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:18 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby Bluebina » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:57 am

eddiep wrote:Checking pundits from sky and the big papers (20 different pundits)
Last season most pundits predicted pre season,

Burnley
Huddersfield
Brighton

No one picked
West brom

One picked
Stoke

Two picked
Swansea


Good point and they have underestimated Warnock and our team spirit and togetherness !!! :thumbup: :ayatollah:
Bluebina
 
Posts: 8464
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby Danny Says » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:20 am

Its hardly surprising is it LBH :roll:
Danny Says
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby Fairblue27 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:30 am

To be honest I'm quite pleased they've all tipped us to go down.
Added to it, they are virtually all saying that Warnock's style doesn't work in the Premier League.
Hard work, organisation, team spirit and strong set piece apparently doesn't work.
Yet Pulis & Allardyce have successfully applied the same strategy year after year.
So it's not just the players this season with something to prove, Warnock needs to
put to bed that he can only manage in lower leagues.
Bring it on.

:bluescarf: :ayatollah:
Fairblue27
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 8:31 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby StaffBluebird » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:55 am

nojac wrote:If they could predict with any certainty, they wouldn't be sitting behind a desk on a Saturday afternoon.
They would be sitting on a £100m yacht in the Caribbean.
Let's prove them wrong , yet again .


No, they're just on a six-figure salary, earning far more than you do, for 2 days and a few hours of work. Not bad when most are multi-millionaires before joining Soccer Saturday.
StaffBluebird
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby phildavies » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:34 am

Be nice to see them all with egg on their face at the end of the season then. No body is backing us and a lot of the media and rival fans don’t even seem to like us being in the prem.

All oh which is fantastic and how it should we have always been a disliked club a bit like Millwall and so once again this will suit us brilliantly and I for one am looking forward to us causing some upsets this year and then hearing opposition fans, managers and the media moan about us. :ayatollah:
city till i die.............................................

Kadeem He don't like it rock the canton rock the canton
User avatar
phildavies
 
Posts: 2273
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby Bananas » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:36 am

Tw@ts :laughing6: We'll have the last laugh :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:
Bananas
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:18 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby Mr Potato » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:50 am

We can’t even attract decent signings, I cannot see 3 worse teams than us and work ethic is not enough in this league. We do not enough depth to our squad, we have nowhere near enough quality and our recruitment policy has been shocking. Murphy adds something out wide, Cunningham gives depth at left back, we got 2 decent keepers.

We got no natural finishers, no right back and centre midfield is awful, add injuries to centre midfield and it’s non existent. Everyone talking about Ralls, he isn’t good enough.

I shouldn’t be too negative, we kept Connolly so it’s not all bad. He’s done so much for us over the last 2 seasons, well worthy of his rewarded new contract.

It’s little wonder we are being talked about as we are. Players would prefer to warm a bench than sign for us, we got problems.
Mr Potato
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:00 am

StaffBluebird wrote:
nojac wrote:If they could predict with any certainty, they wouldn't be sitting behind a desk on a Saturday afternoon.
They would be sitting on a £100m yacht in the Caribbean.
Let's prove them wrong , yet again .


No, they're just on a six-figure salary, earning far more than you do, for 2 days and a few hours of work. Not bad when most are multi-millionaires before joining Soccer Saturday.


Someone sounds bitter!
True Blue through & through.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue
 
Posts: 5605
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby phildavies » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:09 am

Mr Potato wrote:We can’t even attract decent signings, I cannot see 3 worse teams than us and work ethic is not enough in this league. We do not enough depth to our squad, we have nowhere near enough quality and our recruitment policy has been shocking. Murphy adds something out wide, Cunningham gives depth at left back, we got 2 decent keepers.

We got no natural finishers, no right back and centre midfield is awful, add injuries to centre midfield and it’s non existent. Everyone talking about Ralls, he isn’t good enough.

I shouldn’t be too negative, we kept Connolly so it’s not all bad. He’s done so much for us over the last 2 seasons, well worthy of his rewarded new contract.

It’s little wonder we are being talked about as we are. Players would prefer to warm a bench than sign for us, we got problems.


Jesus Christ try to cheer up a bit we are in the prem with a shot to nothing. Glad our manager and players are not like you. Plus people are underrating or not even giving some of our players a chance. Whilst massively operating other teams. I personally think we will be fine but if we are not then oh well we will be back in the champ with a much better position as a club than before we went up.
city till i die.............................................

Kadeem He don't like it rock the canton rock the canton
User avatar
phildavies
 
Posts: 2273
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby StaffBluebird » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:16 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
StaffBluebird wrote:
nojac wrote:If they could predict with any certainty, they wouldn't be sitting behind a desk on a Saturday afternoon.
They would be sitting on a £100m yacht in the Caribbean.
Let's prove them wrong , yet again .


No, they're just on a six-figure salary, earning far more than you do, for 2 days and a few hours of work. Not bad when most are multi-millionaires before joining Soccer Saturday.


Someone sounds bitter!


It's called the truth.. They are getting paid a fortune, doing a job we would love to do and having a cracking laugh on the show too. That's to look over how most people on here write Cardiff off too
StaffBluebird
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby Blueboys1927 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:17 am

We will probably drop again after just one season. Then hopefully within five years challenge again to maybe get promoted to the big boys league :bluebird:
User avatar
Blueboys1927
 
Posts: 2952
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby Mr Potato » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:24 am

Just being realistic, or should we all continue to keep our heads in the sand and pretend and be happy clappy that getting bummed week in week out is enjoyable.

I knew we’d keep it tight but this is beyond. Yet people saying Fulham are worse than us. The same Fulham that played us off the park and have added quality. Yes we went up ahead of them, because of their poor start not because we are better.
Mr Potato
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:24 am

Saw Ol Neil speaking on tv yesterday. He said the players will have to keep the ball and play more in the premier league. He also said if Cardiff made 17.place it would be a miracle. Hard with disagreeing that.
User avatar
Scandinavianbluebird
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:40 am

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby djronnieb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:26 am

I love all this doom and gloom not only from the pundits but a lot of people on this board
Yes we are weak in midfield unless something more happens today
But what we do possess is pace and that could be us surprising a few clubs who like to play the slow build up
I am hopeful of us staying up this year providing we don’t have a disastrous start
A win and a couple of draws in our first few matches could be vital for us
I fancy a win against Newcastle could be on as there is problems at the club at the moment
We could quite easy get a draw in our first match against Bournemouth
I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a reasonable start to the season and instill confidence into the team
It’s up to the supporters to keep the faith
User avatar
djronnieb
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:30 am

Mr Potato wrote:Just being realistic, or should we all continue to keep our heads in the sand and pretend and be happy clappy that getting bummed week in week out is enjoyable.

I knew we’d keep it tight but this is beyond. Yet people saying Fulham are worse than us. The same Fulham that played us off the park and have added quality. Yes we went up ahead of them, because of their poor start not because we are better.



Yes poor start but at end only loan signing of metrovic gave them playoff spot! What they've done is sign players that were on loan last season and couple of others ? Their defence was not brilliant last season and can see them struggling defensively again. We are going to find it tough no doubt about it but only need look at Huddersfield and see comparisons with us and they survived. :old:
User avatar
pembroke allan
 
Posts: 14992
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Sky Sports pundits all back Cardiff for the drop

Postby Crayfish » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:53 am

You have to be a realist about this,it is difficult to find three sides who are likely to be worse than us this season. That said if we do go straight back down we will have a very good squad for the championship plus plenty of premier league money coming in giving us a big competitive advantage over most of the rest of the division. For me a promotion season in the championship is much more fun than a relegation season in the premier. Just hope Warnock gives it a go in both cup completions.
Crayfish
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Next


Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arabellaman, bentheblue, billy ronson, bluebirdoct1962, bluescarlet, Chris Holmes, dogfound, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], KWest, pontyblue2, rhiwbinablue, rossblue, stephendavid, TopCat CCFC, TrueBlue99, Walinoz, wez1927, zapo and 189 guests

Disclaimer :
The views and comments entered in these forums are personal and are not necessarily those of the management of this board.
The management of this board is not responsible for the content of any external internet sites.