Better squad this time in the premiership?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby wez1927 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:39 pm

I feel we have a much better all round squad than the last time we went up any one agree?
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927
 
Posts: 12898
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:00 pm

Better squad this time in the premiership?

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:07 pm

wez1927 wrote:I feel we have a much better all round squad than the last time we went up any one agree?


I agree Wez but the other teams are also stronger this time... :(
Against Modern Football
User avatar
CaerphillyBluebird15
 
Posts: 2720
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:09 pm
Location: Caerphilly

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby tonyblue » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:09 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:I feel we have a much better all round squad than the last time we went up any one agree?


I agree Wez but the other teams are also stronger this time... :(



I think we have a better team, a better team ethic and a better manager... or at least manager that is much better at getting the most out of his players.

I can't wait to see what happens, and no matter what that is i'll be backing the lads and Neil to the end.
tonyblue
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby paulh_85 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:10 pm

i think theres a lot more question marks over this squad but more potential too.

looks like we might be stuggling up top like last time as well
User avatar
paulh_85
 
Posts: 11013
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby Escott1927 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:11 pm

wez1927 wrote:I feel we have a much better all round squad than the last time we went up any one agree?


I think we had better individuals last time but we are a much stronger team this time. It’s Going to be a long old season but I’m looking forward to it now.
Escott1927
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:55 am

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby Bluebird1990 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:13 pm

i think we have a much better team with a lot of pace, something we were severely lacking with our last squad
Bluebird1990
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby Llan_Blue » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:19 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:I feel we have a much better all round squad than the last time we went up any one agree?


I think we had better individuals last time but we are a much stronger team this time. It’s Going to be a long old season but I’m looking forward to it now.

Really better individuals like who?

Ok Marshall better then Etheridge but other then that.

Jazz is better then KTC

Morrison and Caulker not much in it

Bruno way better then Turner

Bennett way way better then John or Taylor

Midfield apart from Medel it’s pretty much even.

Wingers and Strikers we are much much much better this season.
Llan_Blue
 
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby wez1927 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:20 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:I feel we have a much better all round squad than the last time we went up any one agree?


I think we had better individuals last time but we are a much stronger team this time. It’s Going to be a long old season but I’m looking forward to it now.

Really better individuals like who?

Ok Marshall better then Etheridge but other then that.

Jazz is better then KTC

Morrison and Caulker not much in it

Bruno way better then Turner

Bennett way way better then John or Taylor

Midfield apart from Medel it’s pretty much even.

Wingers and Strikers we are much much much better this season.

Agree
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927
 
Posts: 12898
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby City Slicker » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:01 pm

It would only be Medel and Mutch from the 2013-2014 cohort for me. All the rest were honest trier's but pretty underwhelming.
City Slicker
 
Posts: 5123
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:27 pm

City Slicker wrote:It would only be Medel and Mutch from the 2013-2014 cohort for me. All the rest were honest trier's but pretty underwhelming.


Wasn't Bellamy in that team?
Against Modern Football
User avatar
CaerphillyBluebird15
 
Posts: 2720
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:09 pm
Location: Caerphilly

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:28 pm

paulh_85 wrote:i think theres a lot more question marks over this squad but more potential too.

looks like we might be stuggling up top like last time as well





Probably will struggle but Huddersfield had same problem as we do at moment but they stayed up due to same mentality as we have. :thumbup:
User avatar
pembroke allan
 
Posts: 15681
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby Escott1927 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:19 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:I feel we have a much better all round squad than the last time we went up any one agree?


I think we had better individuals last time but we are a much stronger team this time. It’s Going to be a long old season but I’m looking forward to it now.

Really better individuals like who?

Ok Marshall better then Etheridge but other then that.

Jazz is better then KTC

Morrison and Caulker not much in it

Bruno way better then Turner

Bennett way way better then John or Taylor

Midfield apart from Medel it’s pretty much even.

Wingers and Strikers we are much much much better this season.


I didnt mean we had better players in every position. I would say we had more ‘high profile’ players though - ignoring where their careers went after they left.
Marshall, KTC, Fabio, caulker, madel, Mutch, Bellamy, Frazier Campbell.

But like I said our team is definitely stronger overall this time and full of pace. Something we have lacked for years.
Escott1927
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:55 am

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby City Slicker » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:32 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
City Slicker wrote:It would only be Medel and Mutch from the 2013-2014 cohort for me. All the rest were honest trier's but pretty underwhelming.


Wasn't Bellamy in that team?


Oh yes I forgot him
City Slicker
 
Posts: 5123
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby Carlossus » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:44 pm

City Slicker wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
City Slicker wrote:It would only be Medel and Mutch from the 2013-2014 cohort for me. All the rest were honest trier's but pretty underwhelming.


Wasn't Bellamy in that team?


Oh yes I forgot him

:lol: :laughing6:
Carlossus
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 10:46 am

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby Bakedalasker » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:01 pm

I'm not too sure.

It feels a lot better this time around but take away the rebrand and I would say we had a better squad last time around just.

We had a better goalkeeper and a back four. Marshall, Caulker and Turner egde it for me against Etheridge, Morrison and Bamba. Then onto midfield we had Medley and Whittingham. Compare them to Ralls and the rest we have I would still vote for the first time aound.

For the attack force we had Campbell who I would still pick over Zohore. This time around though we do have the pace where last time the only speed merchant was Campbell.

Although I feel we lack in a few departments compared to the first time around hopefully we will compensate for that with the feel good factor which was oblivious last time around.
User avatar
Bakedalasker
 
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:46 am
Location: Derby

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:12 pm

I would probably say the last squad was better. I still feel we are light on key positions and on another point I think the other teams are stronger this time around.

However I do think although we don't have as much strength we have a better manager this time around and a better idea of how we want to play which I don't think we had last time.
User avatar
2blue2handle
 
Posts: 28191
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby sid61284 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:38 pm

I think we have completed this transfer window exactly as we should have last time. Proven youngsters who know the English game and deserve and want a crack at big time to prove themselves, and obviously the experience of arter.

Overall I think the squad is better, we can put out 2 teams of similar standard every week
sid61284
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby nubbsy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:43 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:I feel we have a much better all round squad than the last time we went up any one agree?


I think we had better individuals last time but we are a much stronger team this time. It’s Going to be a long old season but I’m looking forward to it now.

Really better individuals like who?

Ok Marshall better then Etheridge but other then that.

Jazz is better then KTC

Morrison and Caulker not much in it

Bruno way better then Turner

Bennett way way better then John or Taylor

Midfield apart from Medel it’s pretty much even.

Wingers and Strikers we are much much much better this season.



Fair post, although I might rather Campbell a few years back than zohore.
nubbsy
 
Posts: 8270
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:57 am
Location: the diff

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby Llan_Blue » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:06 pm

Come on people can’t be serious.

A squad containing players like Don Cowie, Peter Odemwingie and Declan John better then this squad please.
Llan_Blue
 
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby Steve Zodiak » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:24 pm

I think things have gone exactly as predicted, and in line with what Warnock has been saying all through the Summer. Not sure why there were so many negative posts about our dealings during this transfer window, we all know that there are many moves in the final hours of every single transfer window. We have known all Summer that our budget to buy players was going to be between £20m and £30m, and Warnock has been saying for a while that he was looking to bring in another two players on loan. Everything Warnock was looking to do has been done.

While this squad may not have the big names that we had the last time we were here, I agree with Wez that our current squad is better than last time. Most of our big names underperformed the last time we were in this league, and I certainly hope this one is better as the previous group finished rock bottom. I think we have more pace throughout the side, I believe these players will give 100% effort for Warnock, and I can see the goals being spread around between quite a few of the squad, rather than us having to rely on just one or two players like Campbell & Whittingham.

I can see us ruffling a few feathers this season, and while we may be favourites to go straight back down, I think we have a chance of ending the season with three or more teams below us. All in all, I am not disappointed at all with this squad.
Steve Zodiak
 
Posts: 4216
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:29 pm

I'm very pleased with the day's dealings and I'm happy that we've now got the necessary players to make a very successful dent in the Premiership.

Whether we could have done with a striker is debatable, since we don't really play that way, and completely academic at this point - as are any worries we might still harbour about a right- back deficiency .

Comparisons with previous players are similarly pointless and a matter for drunken debates on rainy nights later on. What we certainly have now is a shape and a commonality of style and purpose throughout the club, and that is worth a great deal.
Of course you can't bluster your way through all opposition with this alone, but we now have some very very good quality players to compliment the momentum of the Club.

If anyone spots what they think is a weakness, let me tell them this. Every great team has had apparent weak links - less prestigious players filling the gap - but very often such players have grown to fill the places they have to fill and surprised the doubters.
The time for talking is over now and all the empty bullshit of pundits who simply add cumulative transfer fees and calculate results means nothing. We've heard these empty predictions of doom before and only stupid or cowardly people take any notice of them.

What happens next is reality, not fortune telling or theorising and in my opinion that reality will be much much better as far as this Club is concerned than many seem to imagine .
SirJimmySchoular
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:52 pm

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby Dessy1927 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:04 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:Come on people can’t be serious.

A squad containing players like Don Cowie, Peter Odemwingie and Declan John better then this squad please.


My thoughts too
Dessy1927
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 5:34 pm
Location: Sunny Jersey

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby Dessy1927 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:06 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:I'm very pleased with the day's dealings and I'm happy that we've now got the necessary players to make a very successful dent in the Premiership.

Whether we could have done with a striker is debatable, since we don't really play that way, and completely academic at this point - as are any worries we might still harbour about a right- back deficiency .

Comparisons with previous players are similarly pointless and a matter for drunken debates on rainy nights later on. What we certainly have now is a shape and a commonality of style and purpose throughout the club, and that is worth a great deal.
Of course you can't bluster your way through all opposition with this alone, but we now have some very very good quality players to compliment the momentum of the Club.

If anyone spots what they think is a weakness, let me tell them this. Every great team has had apparent weak links - less prestigious players filling the gap - but very often such players have grown to fill the places they have to fill and surprised the doubters.
The time for talking is over now and all the empty bullshit of pundits who simply add cumulative transfer fees and calculate results means nothing. We've heard these empty predictions of doom before and only stupid or cowardly people take any notice of them.

What happens next is reality, not fortune telling or theorising and in my opinion that reality will be much much better as far as this Club is concerned than many seem to imagine .


Very well put Squire, I doth my hat.
Dessy1927
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 5:34 pm
Location: Sunny Jersey

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby Wardy64 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:06 pm

I think we have done ok, a much more sensible transfer window with the right manager. Gives us a chance of survival with a bit more strengthening in January. Looking forward to Saturday.
Wardy64
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby montyblue » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:09 pm

I also think we will be better due to the fact we will be a 12 man team . better singers in wales.
montyblue
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:13 pm

Wardy64 wrote:I think we have done ok, a much more sensible transfer window with the right manager. Gives us a chance of survival with a bit more strengthening in January. Looking forward to Saturday.


A lot more thought seems to have gone into who we were buying.
User avatar
2blue2handle
 
Posts: 28191
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby bluebirdowen » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:15 pm

I agree 100% better squad, better team spirit and most of all unity amoungst our fans :bluescarf:
User avatar
bluebirdowen
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby TopCat CCFC » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:14 pm

wez1927 wrote:I feel we have a much better all round squad than the last time we went up any one agree?


Agree .
User avatar
TopCat CCFC
Moderator
 
Posts: 15551
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby welshrarebit » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:48 pm

I agree with the comments about thought on who we are buying.
We were like kids in a sweet shop last time. Have money will spend. Malky was guilty of that. Every player seemed to be a new record signing. Then solskjaer was like me playing champ manager!!

Warnock knows what he has. He has a solid group of lads that work for each other. He knew where he wanted to strengthen. Pace up front and some quality in midfield. We admittedly lost 3. But 2 were loans and Gunnar missed most of last season. He has the Halford role I imagine. He has been respectful of his players and respectful with someone else’s money. Will it work? No idea! I’m excited to find out. But I believe if it doesn’t we will go down a stronger more stable club than last time with good players to form a spine to make a fist of the championship. Rather than paying people to leave and signing players that, with respect. Were never good enough no matter how happy they were to leave the lower leagues.
welshrarebit
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby TheHangedMan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:18 pm

On balance I agree with Wez on this. It's difficult to compare past player v current player, but I feel we have more strength in depth this time.

Welshrarebit summarises it pretty well and I agree with a lot of what is stated.

The one obvious advantage I see this time is the unity we have. Not just the in the players, not just the in the management but also in us, the fans. The power of unity and togetherness cannot ever be underestimated. Warnock has achieved what every business would die for, that being, the whole is greater than the sum it's parts.

I honestly believe that our fighting spirit, togetherness and sheer work rate will get us results that pure talent cannot achieve alone. I'm really looking forward to this season, come what may, and whatever happens I'm gonna enjoy it. C'mon City. :bluebird:
Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious........
User avatar
TheHangedMan
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Bere Regis, Dorset

Next


Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bluebirdoct1962, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], maltablue, Mr Shed and 149 guests

Disclaimer :
The views and comments entered in these forums are personal and are not necessarily those of the management of this board.
The management of this board is not responsible for the content of any external internet sites.