One in twenty years...??

A forum for all things Cardiff City

One in twenty years...??

Postby RV Casual » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Posting this in response to the negativity surrounding Declan John.

Apart from Ramsey and then Bale who never came through our ranks we have produced nobody who has gone on to play at the top level in 20 years.

Is it not time we addressed this rather than said 'he ain't good enough, his attitudes wrong' etc.

In the World Cup, England had a large amount of players that came from Yorkshire, surely as a nation we should match this.

We must be doing something wrong in nurturing our talent or are we saying South East Wales is talentless?
RV Casual

One in twenty years...??

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: One in twenty years...??

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:46 pm

RV Casual wrote:Posting this in response to the negativity surrounding Declan John.

Apart from Ramsey and then Bale who never came through our ranks we have produced nobody who has gone on to play at the top level in 20 years.

Is it not time we addressed this rather than said 'he ain't good enough, his attitudes wrong' etc.

In the World Cup, England had a large amount of players that came from Yorkshire, surely as a nation we should match this.

We must be doing something wrong in nurturing our talent or are we saying South East Wales is talentless?

What do you mean by 'top level?'

If it is PL then you can add Joe Ledley, James Collins, Chris Gunter, Robert Earnshaw and Joe Ralls (from tomorrow) to Declan John.

That said you would be right in saying our academy has been pathetic over the past 10 years. I know Sam Hammam is not the world's most favourite Chairman but it is often overlooked how much he invested in the youth structure which produced the first 4 names above.

The reason why we don't do so well anymore is that the academy is a low priority for funding.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Llan_Blue » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:54 pm

I don’t get it we’ve produced more players then a lot of clubs haven’t we?
Llan_Blue

Postby RV Casual » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:05 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
RV Casual wrote:Posting this in response to the negativity surrounding Declan John.

If it is PL then you can add Joe Ledley, James Collins, Chris Gunter, Robert Earnshaw and Joe Ralls (from tomorrow) to Declan John.

That said you would be right in saying our academy has been pathetic over the past 10 years. I know Sam Hammam is not the world's most favourite Chairman but it is often overlooked how much he invested in the youth structure which produced the first 4 names above.

The reason why we don't do so well anymore is that the academy is a low priority for funding.

Joe Ralls is nothing to do with us, we pinched him from Aldershot whilst playing for Farnborough.

Gunter and Ledley got just over 100 top flight games between them.

Earnie and Collins came through our ranks almost 20 years ago.
RV Casual

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:06 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:I don’t get it we’ve produced more players then a lot of clubs haven’t we?

RV states that there has been no real youth products over the past 20 years which is clearly wrong.

However, I think the point he was trying to make was there has been little coming out of the academy over recent years. Over the past 5 years I can only think of Ralls and John which is not good enough.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby RV Casual » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:07 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:I don’t get it we’ve produced more players then a lot of clubs haven’t we?

No.

Absolutely nobody.

Apart from Ramsey we have produced nothing in the last 10 years.

Not one player has come through our system.
RV Casual

Postby RV Casual » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:10 pm

RV states that there has been no real youth products over the past 20 years which is clearly wrong.

However, I think the point he was trying to make was there has been little coming out of the academy over recent years. Over the past 5 years I can only think of Ralls and John which is not good enough.

How is it wrong?

Since 1998/1999 (earnie and collins) what real youth products have come through us and gone on to be decent, its less than 6-7, that is a shocking statistic.

The point I was trying to make mate was in defence of Declan, he could have been a decent player if nurtures but as a club we dont do it.
RV Casual

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:15 pm

RV Casual wrote:

Joe Ralls is nothing to do with us, we pinched him from Aldershot whilst playing for Farnborough.

Gunter and Ledley got just over 100 top flight games between them.

Earnie and Collins came through our ranks almost 20 years ago.

Ralls is a bit of a 50/50 he didn't come through the full academy but he did join as a youth player which we developed into a PL player. You can slate the appearance record of Ledley and Gunter but they played in the PL. You stated that we had produced 'nobody' who had played at the top level. That was clearly wrong.

Earnie made his debut in 1998 (20 years ago) so again he would disprove your 'nobody' claim as would James Collins who made his debut in 2000 18 years ago.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:20 pm

RV Casual wrote:

How is it wrong?

Since 1998/1999 (earnie and collins) what real youth products have come through us and gone on to be decent, its less than 6-7, that is a shocking statistic.

The point I was trying to make mate was in defence of Declan, he could have been a decent player if nurtures but as a club we dont do it.

Now your claiming 6-7 players have come through over the past 20 years when originally you claimed there was 'nobody' :?

If your point was in defence of Declan then would have been rather helpful if you had explained that properly in the OP. As it is I actually agree with you, I think he was treated pretty poorly and should never have been converted in a left back.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:20 pm

We've had fair few come out with promising talent but never went on to greater things who's fault is that? Player for not progressing or club for not helping them reach their potential, the question is what happened after left academy?
pembroke allan

Postby Bakedalasker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:20 pm

What club in the Uk has been a beacon of acedemy players coming through over the last 30 years.

I might give you a one star for Furguson/Man U with Beckham, Scho;les and the Southalls but after that I would say a handful of clubs have given us perhaps one player over the years. Liverpool have produces Owen, Southampton Bale and Shearer...come to think of it the saints are streets ahead of all the other top clubs next to Man U.

What I'm saying is the acedemies we have have producd very little. By us producing Ramsey says we have not done too bad on the subject.
Bakedalasker

Postby Llan_Blue » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:What club in the Uk has been a beacon of acedemy players coming through over the last 30 years.

I might give you a one star for Furguson/Man U with Beckham, Scho;les and the Southalls but after that I would say a handful of clubs have given us perhaps one player over the years. Liverpool have produces Owen, Southampton Bale and Shearer...come to think of it the saints are streets ahead of all the other top clubs next to Man U.

What I'm saying is the acedemies we have have producd very little. By us producing Ramsey says we have not done too bad on the subject.

Who the f**k are the southalls :lol: :lol:
Llan_Blue

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:26 pm

pembroke allan wrote:We've had fair few come out with promising talent but never went on to greater things who's fault is that? Player for not progressing or club for not helping them reach their potential, the question is what happened after left academy?

Very true. Ramsey is the obvious star product arguably Cameron Jerome (although he was another who came from another academy) there have been a few OK's (eg Ledley) but most have faded like Adam Mathews who we were all told at the time was a superstar in the making.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Llan_Blue » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:27 pm

RV Casual wrote:

No.

Absolutely nobody.

Ok then what’s the solution?

What was or is the problem?
Llan_Blue

Postby RV Casual » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:30 pm

RV Casual wrote:

How is it wrong?

Now your claiming 6-7 players have come through over the past 20 years when originally you claimed there was 'nobody' :?

If your point was in defence of Declan then would have been rather helpful if you had explained that properly in the OP. As it is I actually agree with you, I think he was treated pretty poorly and should never have been converted in a left back.

No mate I said I said in my OP that apart from Ramsey and Bale (nothing to do with us) we had nobody who had played at the top level, I was obviously wrong as I had missed Collins.

Then when I was talking about less than 6-7 youth products I was talking about people like Joe Jacobson etc thats how shocking its been.

Anyway, I think you know what I meant and are on the same page deep down :thumbup:
RV Casual

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:33 pm

RV Casual wrote:
No mate I said I said in my OP that apart from Ramsey and Bale (nothing to do with us) we had nobody who had played at the top level, I was obviously wrong as I had missed Collins.

Then when I was talking about less than 6-7 youth products I was talking about people like Joe Jacobson etc thats how shocking its been.

Anyway, I think you know what I meant and are on the same page deep down :thumbup:

Fair enough things often get lost in translation on a message board :thumbup:
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Aramore » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:35 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:What club in the Uk has been a beacon of acedemy players coming through over the last 30 years.

West Ham 15-20 years ago. Lampard, Ferdinand, Joe Cole, Defoe, Carrick, Glen Johnson, Terry was there before Chelsea,
64JACK wrote:
ThomasC wrote: :lol: your my favourite poster :ayatollah:

Actually, your mine as well! The avator clinches it for me, as sometimes I do imagine I'm talking too a sensible lemon in sunglasses! :laughing6:
Aramore

Postby RV Casual » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:35 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

No.

Absolutely nobody.

Don't put to much pressure on home grown talent to begin
Not to write off players to soon. For example, Zohore is the same age as Declan is now before he had a 'half decent' season'
Develop our players from within

Sounds like a sound base point.
RV Casual

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:36 pm

RV Casual wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

How is it wrong?

It's not case of none coming through because there have been fair few with the potential who have come out academy, it's what's happened after that's the problem why haven't they pushed on instead of falling away and end up being released by club as we've seen over the years.
Didnt we release a kid to Newport and he was snapped up by man u but heared nothing since about him?
pembroke allan

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:50 pm

pembroke allan wrote:It's not case of none coming through because there have been fair few with the potential who have come out academy, it's what's happened after that's the problem why haven't they pushed on instead of falling away and end up being released by club as we've seen over the years.
Didnt we release a kid to Newport and he was snapped up by man u but heared nothing since about him?

Regan Poole was the Newport lad I think he was last spotted at Northampton on loan.

I agree with your comments but luck plays a huge part. Cameron Jerome was behind Stuart Fleetwood in the pecking order when we had a striker crisis back in 2004. Fleetwood started against Derby (I think) and was injured just before half-time.

Jerome came on as a sub and had a great season earning a move to the PL with Birmingham. Despite not scoring many goals he was a favourite of the manager Alex McLeish and eventually went onto have a half decent career.

None of that would have happened if he hadn't got those early breaks in his career which allowed him to get experience and develop as a player.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Llan_Blue » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

No.

Absolutely nobody.

Not to write off players to soon. For example, Zohore is the same age as Declan is now before he had a 'half decent' season'

You could see Zohore had something in him.

Declan John hasn’t shown anything he’s also had a lot of managers that have thought the same thing.

It’s nothing to do with having pressure put on young players.

We haven’t had anybody coming through because we were stock piling players in our under U23s who just weren’t good enough. An the one or two that maybe had a slight chance were fucked because we didn’t have a manager with the balls to play them in Russel Slade
Llan_Blue

Postby RV Casual » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:52 pm

pembroke allan wrote:It's not case of none coming through because there have been fair few with the potential who have come out academy, it's what's happened after that's the problem why haven't they pushed on instead of falling away and end up being released by club as we've seen over the years.

Regan Poole was the Newport lad I think he was last spotted at Northampton on loan.

I agree with your comments but luck plays a huge part. Cameron Jerome was behind Stuart Fleetwood in the pecking order when we had a striker crisis back in 2004. Fleetwood started against Derby (I think) and was injured just before half-time.

Jerome came on as a sub and had a great season earning a move to the PL with Birmingham. Despite not scoring many goals he was a favourite of the manager Alex McLeish and eventually went onto have a half decent career.

None of that would have happened if he hadn't got those early breaks in his career which allowed him to get experience and develop as a player.

Good debate lads ;) thats all I was looking for, no ulterior motive :bluescarf:

I just think we should be doing better, South Wales is a big old area, the talent is surely out there.
RV Casual

Postby Bakedalasker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:53 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:

Who the f**k are the southalls :lol: :lol:

Bollocks I mean't the Nevilles.
Bakedalasker

Postby Pencoed » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:00 pm

Over the last 10 years we've had a more money and expectation that's meant players haven't been given as much of a chance. Ralls real break came under Slade when we had no money.

Also we need to look at loaning out players Ralls played a full championship season when we were in the Prem. Mark Harris is a prospect but he's 20 at Xmas we're sending him to league 2 if no league 1 or championship clubs want him would he be better training with the 1st team?
Pencoed

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:00 pm

RV Casual wrote:I just think we should be doing better, South Wales is a big old area, the talent is surely out there.

This small area of South Wales has produced superstars such as Ryan Giggs (was born here), Craig Bellamy, Aaron Ramsey and Gareth Bale in recent times. It is a rich seam of talent and we should be producing young players through our academy but to do that it has to be funded better.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby RV Casual » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:01 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

No.

Absolutely nobody.

Declan John hasn’t shown anything he’s also had a lot of managers that have thought the same thing.

We haven’t had anybody coming through because we were stock piling players in our under U23s who just weren’t good enough. An the one or two that maybe had a slight chance were fucked because we didn’t have a manager with the balls to play them in Russel Slade

What you see in Zohore I saw in Declan, I honestly thought with the right development Declan could have been a top quality left wing back.

Zohore struck lucky Warnock had no choice but to play him but he's got everything to prove to me, 9 goals in 36 games for a promotion winning teams main striker isn't exactly ripping it up is it?

His current goal to game ratio is 1 in every 4.5 and he's never played at this level and almost 25.

You said earlier whats Declan done? I'll ask you whats Zohore done>
RV Casual

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:03 pm

Pencoed wrote:Over the last 10 years we've had a more money and expectation that's meant players haven't been given as much of a chance. Ralls real break came under Slade when we had no money.

Also we need to look at loaning out players Ralls played a full championship season when we were in the Prem. Mark Harris is a prospect but he's 20 at Xmas we're sending him to league 2 if no league 1 or championship clubs want him would he be better training with the 1st team?

I really rate Mark Harris (I watch a lot of U23 games) but I fear he will be another who is lost in the system due to not getting a chance. Cameron Coxe and Jamie Veale are another two I rate and I hope they get some kind of first team experience probably on loan.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Llan_Blue » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:30 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

No.

Absolutely nobody.

What you see in Zohore I saw in Declan, I honestly thought with the right development Declan could have been a top quality left wing back.

Zohore struck lucky Warnock had no choice but to play him but he's got everything to prove to me, 9 goals in 36 games for a promotion winning teams main striker isn't exactly ripping it up is it?

His current goal to game ratio is 1 in every 4.5 and he's never played at this level and almost 25.

Played as the main striker in a promotion winning team.

Had bids of 12 million pounds made for him.

Almost got into the Denmark World Cup squad.

Won the clubs Goal of the Season

Won the clubs young player of the year award
Llan_Blue

Postby RV Casual » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:34 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

No.

Absolutely nobody.

Played as the main striker in a promotion winning team.

Had bids of 12 million pounds made for him.

Almost got into the Denmark World Cup squad.

Won the clubs Goal of the Season

Won the clubs young player of the year award

Exactly.

Neither have done f**k all of note, yet one gets written off and the other one gets branded like he's golden balls.

Almost got into the Denmark World Cup Squad at 25 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RV Casual

Postby dogfound » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:51 pm

RV Casual wrote:I just think we should be doing better, South Wales is a big old area, the talent is surely out there.

This small area of South Wales has produced superstars such as Ryan Giggs (was born here), Craig Bellamy, Aaron Ramsey and Gareth Bale in recent times. It is a rich seam of talent and we should be producing young players through our academy but to do that it has to be funded better.

as a nation we have always produced very talented players in small numbers whether they learnt their trade on dog shite park or a 4g academy pitch...
really dont see the better funded bit tbh..England has been throwing far more money at it than us yet its not making a dent in the foreigners playing in the prem..
and yes Wales has always been a rich seam of talent its why we have always over produced compared to most countries per capita.
dogfound

Next

Return to General Chat