Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' NEIL WARNOCK £25MILLION '

Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:56 am

' NEIL WARNOCK ON CARDIFF'S SPENDING SO FAR '

NEIL WARNOCK: " WE HAVE SPENT £25MILL NET SO FAR THIS SEASON ON PLAYERS "

ITV

Saturday 11th August 2018

Neil Warnock insists Cardiff have been rightly prudent on their return to the Premier League and not matched the spending of fellow new boys Fulham and Wolves.

Fulham have become the first newly-promoted Premier League club to spend over £100million, while Wolves have also recruited heavily and broke their transfer record this week by reportedly paying £18m for Middlesbrough winger Adama Traore.

Warnock, speaking ahead of Saturday's opening game at Bournemouth, told reporters the club had "spent about £25million net" in boosting their squad with six new arrivals this summer.

NEIL WARNOCK:

"We're not throwing money away or done things we can't sustain."

We've got players on loan so if things don't go right it's not going to bankrupt the club in 12 months.

But at the same time they've got something to prove and last year we gave most teams a run.

Warnock has strengthened every department of his squad as Cardiff return to the top flight for the first time since the 2013-14 campaign - their solitary season in the Premier League.

Goalkeeper Alex Smithies has come in from QPR, defender Greg Cunningham has joined from Preston and on-loan midfield pair Harry Arter - who is unable to play against his parent club on Saturday - and Victor Camarasa were signed on deadline day.

Josh Murphy, an £11m signing from Norwich, and Bobby Reid add attacking options to an area where Warnock believes Cardiff are still light.

"I'd have probably bought a top-class striker, but I'm not sure I'd have spent it elsewhere really," said Warnock.

"If I had to spend £15-20million on the two midfield players I brought in I'd probably have done it."

Warnock saw Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe at the Premier League managers' meeting on Wednesday and told him that Colombian midfielder Jefferson Lerma had been top of Cardiff's transfer targets last season.

Lerma joined Bournemouth from Spanish outfit Levante in a club-record £25m deal on Tuesday.

"We had a laugh because Lerma was number one on our list at the end of last season," Warnock said.

"We thought we'd get him for six or seven million and they've got him for £25million.

"I said to Eddie 'what's it like to be in that position?' But it shows how far the club has moved on.

"But I don't envy anybody like that because money brings you more problems than it's worth.

"We've just got to stabilise the club and give it a chance.

"We've been written off so many times, but we've kept surprising everyone and I think everyone else after the top-six is a winnable game."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' NEIL WARNOCK £25MILLION '

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:34 am

I think he needs to stop going on about it now, he said he had more money and didn't spent it. He literally goes on about it in every interview, before the game and after the game. I get he is trying to make us the underdogs but its almost giving the players an excuse.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:39 am

Just making excuses time and time again. Change the record FFS Neil. For someone who wants to prove he can manage at this level he isn't doing himself any favours. I think we are in serious trouble

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:34 am

2blue2handle wrote:I think he needs to stop going on about it now, he said he had more money and didn't spent it. He literally goes on about it in every interview, before the game and after the game. I get he is trying to make us the underdogs but its almost giving the players an excuse.

That’s a great point, it’s getting a bit tiresome now.
Get on with what we’ve got and give it a go!

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:00 pm

Mr Tan said in his article that he spent £30m,and he pays the bills? Neil Warnock likes to play things down as he always wants to be the underdog. For instance Teams like Leicester have actually spent as they got 60m from Manchester City for their top player, Newcastle’s net spend is also less because they sold players?

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Agree that NW does go on a bit.e.g. How he has spent so little and it would be a miracle to keep us up.
If so.... spend the money available! I was very disappointed when he said that he could have spent more money but could not find a centre forward attacking player. Hopefully Zahore does OK but we have such weak back up options, surely he could have found someone more mobile. Allegedly he had £10 mill unspent. No disrespect to Madin e but he would not get into many teams in the Championship.If we could have got £3 mill back on him that would make £13 m. (Or else he could have got a loan deal striker.)

One thing most players need in the Prem is PACE. So I also can't understand the season long loan of Bogle. For the same reason, I think we need to try to get Laing and Murphy in the same stArting 11, and yesterday NML played well so I would have taken someone else off.

I only hope NW can ensure we are still in with a chance of surviving by Jan and then persuade VT to help him get a good CF striker. That might make the difference.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:44 pm

Just read all the posts. I’m so fed up of the negativity. This man got us promoted last year. I think he knows what he is doing. Give him a chance. I’d rather him here than anyone else. So what if we’ve only spent £25million. Team spirit and togetherness is worth double that!

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:23 am

JuniorBluebird1980 wrote:Just read all the posts. I’m so fed up of the negativity. This man got us promoted last year. I think he knows what he is doing. Give him a chance. I’d rather him here than anyone else. So what if we’ve only spent £25million. Team spirit and togetherness is worth double that!

Well said, If people want to see a Team win matches and spend millions, go and support Man City. We are Cardiff City from the S.Wales hardly ever been a Club noted for spending millions or a Club in a rich catchment area.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:03 am

It’s not being negative,Warnock obviously did a brilliant job getting us promoted last season but he doesn’t tell the truth about his spending and always makes out that we are the poor relations when in reality last season our NET spending was the 5th Highest in the Championship at over 10m. and this summer window according to the Daily Express and others we are 14th Highest in the Premier League above Man City and Spurs at 28.5 m. NET spending. The difference is that they sold players for fees whereas our income from sales was zero.The lowest net spenders are Newcastle our next opponents so no excuses about lack of spending next Saturday,Neil!