Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NEIL WARNOCK:"WE WERE NERVOUS & BUT OVER ALL I AM PLEASED"

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:21 am

Cardiff City suffered a 2-0 defeat to Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium in the opening match of their 2018/19 Premier League campaign.

Here's everything Neil Warnock had to say after the match on the south coast of England.

NEIL WARNOCK:"WE WERE NERVOUS & BUT OVER ALL I AM PLEASED"

How do you sum up the game?

NW: Obviously disappointing but, after that first 15 minutes when we were a bit nervous, I thought the lads acquitted themselves well really.

I thought we grew into it in the second half and I think if Sean Morrison’s a little bit more agile that would have been a good equaliser and then it would have been interesting for the rest of the game.

I thought they were a little bit more clinical but overall I’ve got to be pleased. We went right to the end and we’re disappointed a few things didn’t go for us.

Did you notice a big step up?

NW:If I had a choice I wouldn’t have played Sol Bamba in midfield but I didn’t have much choice. I thought he did well. I didn’t think we did too badly.

I thought the tackle on (Joe) Ralls was a bit naughty but if that would have been one of ours a bit more would have happened.

I thought the penalty was as soft as I’ve ever seen. When you look at it back, in comparison with Junior Hoilett going through at the end on the right-hand side and getting clipped and giving away a free-kick for handball… There were one or two things like that – Simon Francis coming on and should’ve got booked like Lee Peltier but not getting booked.

It’s hard to accept at times but we were all right. We could have got a result out of the game, which we’re going to have to do away from home, and we’re going to pick up points at home.

Was it a useful lesson to play a side like them?

NW: I think we could have tested them a bit more, but that's to be worked on really.

Do you anticipate that Zohore will be fit for Newcastle?

NW: "I hope so but I thought he'd be fit for today. But you don't know with injuries.

Bobby Reid and Josh Murphy both made their competitive debuts for Cardiff, how did you assess their performances?

I thought they did ever so well. Reid is going to be a bit of a utility lad for me. Playing up front or in the hole, he'll play anywhere and I thought he was lively today.

I thought Murphy, as always, excited you when he comes on."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NEIL WARNOCK:"WE WERE NERVOUS & BUT OVER ALL I AM PLEASE

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 am

NERVOUS against bournemouth. they`ll be shitting themselves soon then :D

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:54 am

Should address that that gap in the midfield though, shouldn’t we? I mean, when Bournemouth can walk the ball from box to box two times within 5 minutes without pressure we might look for some balance. But we are improving. Up to 60% passrate now and I thought our defense handled them self well against Wilson and King.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:54 am

God help September them ::: can only get better

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:00 am

papa wrote:NERVOUS against bournemouth. they`ll be shitting themselves soon then :D

:lol: :lol:

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:34 am

papa wrote:NERVOUS against bournemouth. they`ll be shitting themselves soon then :D

I can get your point but from NW and the teams perspective it was their PL debut and nerves are bound to play a part.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:49 am

Bournemouth break opening day hoodoo with 2-0 over Cardiff City, Bournemouth had never won on the opening day in the Premier League before

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:01 am

Decisions went against us - Neil Warnock

"If I’d had the choice I wouldnt have played Sol Bamba in midfield. But I thought he did well."

"The penalty was as soft as I’ve ever seen."

"Simon Francis came on and should have been booked straight away."

"Lady luck was not shining on us"

"But I thought we did alright."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:03 pm

grange_end1927 wrote:Bournemouth break opening day hoodoo with 2-0 over Cardiff City, Bournemouth had never won on the opening day in the Premier League before

They have never lost to a newly promoted team
At home before either.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:27 pm

Pleased with our overall performance,until Bournmouths injury time 2nd goal I thought we were going to get something. Something developing with Reid and Murphy` I thought they had a good understanding of each other. We did not have a full strength team and had them on the rack a couple of times. roll on next game.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:57 pm

I'm afraid Warnock didn't help with his poor team selection. Murphy should've been played from the start, Sol should not have been in midfield and no way is Reid a lone striker. If they were nervous then our manager contributed to it.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:25 pm

bluemun wrote:I'm afraid Warnock didn't help with his poor team selection. Murphy should've been played from the start, Sol should not have been in midfield and no way is Reid a lone striker. If they were nervous then our manager contributed to it.

I don't suppose he set out to do that. He was stretching his rescources as best he could in all the circumstances, that's all.
You're spot on in your analysis of what was wrong actually, but it wasn't out if choice.
Let's hope we don't have to do that again.