Alan Shearer: " Cardiff City "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:44 am

Former Newcastle United striker Alan Shearer on Cardiff City's Premier League prospects, Neil Warnock and the club they must emulate -

By Ian Mitchelmore

Sunday 12th August 2018

Former Newcastle United striker Alan Shearer believes Cardiff City can take inspiration from Huddersfield Town when it comes to battling for Premier League survival this term.

The Bluebirds have been widely tipped for the drop this season and saw their 2018/19 campaign start in defeat as they were beaten 2-0 by Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium.

But Shearer believes David Wagner's Huddersfield - who secured a 16th place finish in their debut campaign in the top flight last time out - have shown the way for promoted clubs to perform well in the Premier League.

When asked if he expects Cardiff to struggle the most out of the three sides that gained promotion from the Championship last season, Shearer said on Match of the Day:

ALAN SHEARER:

"Yes I do, but what I think they can look at, they can take inspiration from Huddersfield Town achieved last season.

"When you look at the money that has been spent, Fulham came up and spent about £100m, Wolves about £61m and Cardiff have spent about £26m and they've signed six players, four of them are from the Championship.

"They'll be very, very difficult to beat at home. You know Neil Warnock, he'll have them well organised.

"He'll upset a few and his team will upset a few at home but it will be very difficult for them."

Goals from Ryan Fraser and Callum Wilson earned Eddie Howe's side all three points against the Bluebirds on the opening day.

Cardiff will now turn their focus to their first home game of the campaign against Shearer's former side Newcastle on Saturday.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Alan Shearer: " Cardiff City "

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:56 am

Just listened to him now after watching the highlights of yesterday’s game.
Made complete sense.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:33 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Just listened to him now after watching the highlights of yesterday’s game.
Made complete sense.

Totally agree.. we all know we are going to struggle but I did see enough in the second half yesterday to suggest we are at least going to be “competitive “ during the season.

Will it be enough to keep us up only time will tell
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby snoopystorm » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:19 am

As long as we are competitive every match and the players give 100% we will stay up, can’t ask for anymore really
Once a Bluebird, Always a bluebird
snoopystorm

Postby salopiancity » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:11 pm

Totally correct with his views. Normally talks a lot of sense and straight to the point.
salopiancity

Postby Sven » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:03 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Just listened to him now after watching the highlights of yesterday’s game.
Made complete sense.

Paul, for once he did make sense! :clap:

Some of us will recall he could have been our manager once; preferred to Malky at the time! :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Crayfish » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Cardiff will be very difficult to beat? Not really Bournrmouth had no problem beating us yesterday and I suspect they will not be alone.We were difficult to beat in the championship but as yesterday proved many teams my well find us rather easy to beat in the premier.
Crayfish

Postby Sven » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:49 pm

Crayfish wrote:Cardiff will be very difficult to beat? Not really Bournrmouth had no problem beating us yesterday and I suspect they will not be alone.We were difficult to beat in the championship but as yesterday proved many teams my well find us rather easy to beat in the premier.

Thanks for your positivity! :thumbright: :roll:

First game in the Premier League this time around and it reminded me of the last time when we played West Ham United away; losing 2-0 on a sunny but ultimately disappointing and fruitless day...

We then went on to beat Manchester City at home in one of the best games I've ever seen and up to Malkygate we were holding our own

I guess you can either be positive and get behind the team (like me and others) or (like you appear to be doing) you can give up after one game using the logic that we only have a mere 37 games left to put it right! :laughing6:

Early days yet, so give the manager and players a chance! :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Carlossus » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:33 am

Sven wrote:
Crayfish wrote:Cardiff will be very difficult to beat? Not really Bournrmouth had no problem beating us yesterday and I suspect they will not be alone.We were difficult to beat in the championship but as yesterday proved many teams my well find us rather easy to beat in the premier.

First game in the Premier League this time around and it reminded me of the last time when we played West Ham United away; losing 2-0 on a sunny but ultimately disappointing and fruitless day...

We then went on to beat Manchester City at home in one of the best games I've ever seen and up to Malkygate we were holding our own

I guess you can either be positive and get behind the team (like me and others) or (like you appear to be doing) you can give up after one game using the logic that we only have a mere 37 games left to put it right! :laughing6:

Early days yet, so give the manager and players a chance! :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Well said. :occasion5:
Carlossus

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:49 am

Carlossus wrote:
Sven wrote:

Well said. :occasion5:

I thought Shearer seemed fair in what he said. I agree, we can’t give up after one game, we shouldn’t give up until it’s no longer possible to stay up! Can start to judge after about 8-10games but not now as we are still settling into the PL. remember at xmas time last year Losing 4 in a row...and look how Warnock and the team pulled it back. Never give up attitude gets us where we are today and the club needs fans on board too with the same attitude to help them through. Will be a tough season IMO but let’s see how things pan out and enjoy the upsets when they come. :bluescarf:
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby TopCat CCFC » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:28 am

Will be interesting to see what he says after this weekend ;)
TopCat CCFC

Postby Bluebina » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:40 am

Bournemouth looked a decent team, I think they will do quite well this season, hopefully, we can put Bamba back in defence and tighten things up, for the remainder of the season, as the marking for both goals was poor.
Bluebina

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:17 pm

Often agree with Shearer, and would agree with this as well.

People dismissing the “hard to beat” comment because of our first result, need to remember that Bournemouth are a good side. They finished 12th last season. Not lost to a newly-promoted team in four years too, I read earlier.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Return to General Chat