Vincent does it his way.. Tan talks.

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby droyal » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:50 am

Came across this...

Vincent Tan speaks to the press: Vincent does it his way

TAN SRI VINCENT TAN:

“We need to get off to a good start."

“They think I’m eccentric. Wearing a jacket with my club’s jersey over it. I don’t care, the reason I do it is because I’m patriotic, and that’s why we’ve turned down up to six million pounds of annual shirt sponsorship just to have the words, ‘Visit Malaysia’ on our club jerseys.”

Call him eccentric, controlling, interfering. Call him whatever you want. Tan Sri Vincent Tan doesn’t care. He’s done it his way and he’s taken his beloved football club, Cardiff City back to the English Premier League (EPL) and that’s all that matters to him.

The Bluebirds’ first match is away to Bournemouth today and the club’s larger-than-life owner sat down with StarSport for an exclusive interview.

He said there was a difference now compared to the last time the team were promoted to the EPL.

“We have a good manager now and he has a great track record. He has now taken eight teams to the top league,” he said, referring to the veteran manager Neil Warnock.

Vincent should actually be commended for hiring Warnock because it was an inspired move. Warnock was the oldest coach working in Britain at the age of 68 when he was hired in October 2016 to take charge of the 15th club of his 36-year managerial career.

The Bluebirds were in a mess 20 months ago when they were at the other end of the table, but Vincent’s decision to bring the experienced manager to the Welsh capital paid dividends. He guided the team to a mid-table finish at the end of his first season and was the driving force behind an improbable promotion campaign last season despite spending a fraction of the outlay of rival clubs like Aston Villa, Derby and Middlesbrough.

Cardiff, the gritty battlers, are now in the top flight but face a pivotal season. “My KPI to Neil is to keep us in the league,” Vincent said, tongue-in-cheek.

“But seriously though I think we have a good chance because we have learnt the lessons of the past. We have spent about £30mil (RM156mil), probably the lowest in the league, but I think we’ve spent wisely,” he said.

“In 2013, we paid over the odds for players and there was a lot of tension because I had a bad relationship with the manager then, but this time around we all work together, the manager and I have respect for each other. The atmosphere is good and the fans are behind us,” he added.

Vincent is a hands-on owner and is involved in all transfer dealings. During the interview, he confirmed the loan signing of Real Betis midfielder Victor Camarosa.

“I am fully aware of these things because they have to run it by me first and I will only approve these signings after I do some checks,” he said.

The Malaysian tycoon said that he has improved his knowledge of football over the years, but admitted he made some mistakes over the nine years of his involvement with the Welsh club.

“My controversial decision to change the colours of the club from blue to red did not go down well with the fans and I decided to change the team’s colours back to blue,” he said, citing an example of this, adding that he had a strong connection with the fans now.

Over the years, Vincent estimates he has spent a staggering £190mil (RM991mil) on Cardiff.

“This is money I invested and I can’t take back.”

He admits that he has had offers to buy the club, with even his friends and family urging him to sell, but having invested so much time and money into the project, he is not about to budge. At least not yet.

“I hope that the club can remain in the Premier League a few seasons. And if someone came in with an offer after that, with the right price, I may consider.”

Vincent wore his club shirt during the interview and we asked him about the “Visit Malaysia” words on the front of the shirt.

“I have been sponsoring Tourism Malaysia for nine years now. And only one year, did they give us £3mil (RM15mil). I have had offers for shirt sponsorship before but I have turned them down because I want to promote the country,” he said, pointing to the fact that the EPL is broadcast to billions around the world.

He thanked the Sultan of Johor Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar for helping the club with a £3mil (RM15mil) sponsorship over the last three years, while Cardiff were in the Championship.

“It’s very expensive running a football club in the most competitive league in the world and I hope the Malaysian Government through Tourism Malaysia will help us out. They paid a lot of money for (Barcelona player) Luis Suarez to be our tourism ambassador, but what has he really done to promote Malaysia?"

In turn, he acknowledged that more is needed to be done to promote Cardiff City to Malaysian fans.

“I am looking at the Leicester City model. The team are successful and the Thai owner has made them profitable.

“Thais have also taken Leicester to heart, supporting the team. I know that most Malaysians support the big EPL teams like Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal, but I hope that we can convince them to have Cardiff as their second favourite team,”
he said, adding that he would restart the Cardiff City Malaysian Supporters Club this season.

Vincent said he would love to invite Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad to visit the Welsh capital again. Dr M was last in Cardiff on his invitation in 2014.

“I know he is very busy now, but if he is in London, we will invite him to Cardiff to catch a game,” he said.

In all likelihood, Vincent will be in Cardiff for their first home game against Newcastle on Aug 18, but he is fully aware that the team’s first six matches are tough ones.

“We have got Newcastle, Arsenal and the champions, Manchester City at home and Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Chelsea away.

“We need to get off to a good start, but realistically speaking, I will be happy if we can get six to nine points from the maximum 18 that’s on offer,”
he added.

The Cardiff City Stadium is expected to be at full capacity – 33,000 – for every home game and chances are you will see Tan Sri Vincent Tan with his Bluebird shirt in the chairman’s box. He tries to go for as many home matches as possible, but business interests back home sometimes makes this difficult.

Home is also where his heart is, and the Berjaya Corp founder is trying to give something back to Malaysian football.

He intends to open Cardiff’s academy to talented Malaysian youngsters to train and if possible make the jump to professional level football.

Aris Asri, a Kuala Lumpur-born 18-year old, will be the first to go for trials in Cardiff. The midfielder will be offered an apprenticeship if he makes the grade next week.

“I want to help more Malaysians, but the problem is our world rankings are no where near the Top 50. This is a requirement for professional footballers to be offered a working visa. (Malaysia is currently ranked a lowly 171 in the world).

“Our country needs to do a lot of work to improve. I am willing to work with our new sports minister and FAM to see how we can raise our standards. It’s a shame, because football is the only sport in Malaysia that can fill an 80,000 capacity stadium,”
he said.

Having worked with multinational footballers in Cardiff, Vincent feels that we should not shut the door on granting citizenship to talented young foreign footballers.

“Look at countries like Qatar, Singapore and in the World Cup, France and Belgium. These countries opened their doors to naturalised foreigners. We should do the same, these players will inspire our locals and give us the impetus to jump up the FIFA rankings,” he said.

https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/football/2018/08/11/vincent-does-it-his-way-malaysian-tycoon-a-model-patriot-as-he-seeks-to-keep-bluebirds-in-top-flight/
Attachments
vincetan-pa_3159029b.jpg
vincetan-pa_3159029b.jpg (102.34 KiB) Viewed 7165 times
tumblr_inline_myn16zXNL01ryfaxj.jpg
tumblr_inline_myn16zXNL01ryfaxj.jpg (98 KiB) Viewed 7185 times
droyal

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Vincent does it his way.. Tan talks.

Postby grange_end1927 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:26 am

Turned down 6 million of sponsorship, which could have gone into the transfer budget
grange_end1927

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:55 am

“But seriously though I think we have a good chance because we have learnt the lessons of the past.»

Wonder what he means by this. Good chance at what?
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby jimmy_rat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:01 am

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:“But seriously though I think we have a good chance because we have learnt the lessons of the past.»

Of staying up. Did you not read the article? That is his aim for the saeson!

Best bit is he is happy with 6-9 points from first 6 games. Not being completely unreasonable with this I feel. He must've learnt a bit more about football in general.
jimmy_rat

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:16 am

jimmy_rat wrote:
Scandinavianbluebird wrote:“But seriously though I think we have a good chance because we have learnt the lessons of the past.»

Best bit is he is happy with 6-9 points from first 6 games. Not being completely unreasonable with this I feel. He must've learnt a bit more about football in general.

Yes I read it. But didn’t make much sense. So his strategy is to stay I the premier league, not going down with a strong championship side. He learnt his lesson not overpaying for sub standards, but what does that mean? It’s more sensible playing a sub standards team who cost less? I’m happy with signings and all that. Although Arter hardly played football for 9 months and that Spanish guy might be a gem for all we know. But it’s like me going to a formula one race in a Punto. I’m bound to get a few scalps as teams always get into trouble. But chanses are so will I. Puntos arent really that reliable.
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby jimmy_rat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:25 am

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:

Yes I read it. But didn’t make much sense. So his strategy is to stay I the premier league, not going down with a strong championship side. He learnt his lesson not overpaying for sub standards, but what does that mean? It’s more sensible playing a sub standards team who cost less? I’m happy with signings and all that. Although Arter hardly played football for 9 months and that Spanish guy might be a gem for all we know. But it’s like me going to a formula one race in a Punto. I’m bound to get a few scalps as teams always get into trouble. But chanses are so will I. Puntos arent really that reliable.

Your analogy is crap. That would be like Accrington Stanley turning up to play in the premier league. Of course they're going to get humped every week! Do you really think we are that bad?

What he has learnt is that he has employed and given trust to a manager to build a competitive side for this league. By competitive he is real enough (nowadays) to know that means competing with the bottom half in a battle to stay up, not like previously where I'm sure he spoke about winning the bloody thing!

The squad is more than capable of achieving his aim which would be a success in his eyes. To me, that shows he has learnt a lesson.
jimmy_rat

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:29 am

jimmy_rat wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:

Your analogy is crap. That would be like Accrington Stanley turning up to play in the premier league. Of course they're going to get humped every week! Do you really think we are that bad?

What he has learnt is that he has employed and given trust to a manager to build a competitive side for this league. By competitive he is real enough (nowadays) to know that means competing with the bottom half in a battle to stay up, not like previously where I'm sure he spoke about winning the bloody thing!

The squad is more than capable of achieving his aim which would be a success in his eyes. To me, that shows he has learnt a lesson.

Sensible words Jimmy but he’s a troll on a wind up.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby 2blue2handle » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:29 am

Seems a fair article except they have used Tan in a red shirt in the pictures. Surely they should be using him in the blue shirt he now wears. :blue scarf:

https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/footba ... op-flight/
2blue2handle

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:37 am

jimmy_rat wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:

You do? I don’t find them more than capable. I share Warnock’s and the rest of the worlds view. It would be a miracle. And this weekends football didn’t change my view. But miracles do happen. My bet he is talking out of his arse, and is looking to sell sooner rather than later. That’s why he is balancing the books. But that’s just me speculating..
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:38 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:

Congratulations on putting a sentence together. You are going places!
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby droyal » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:56 pm

If close in Jan, would be nice to see him back the manger, with one or two. :thumbup:
droyal

Postby Sven » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:51 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:

Paul, you're partly right; he's TROLLS on a wind up! ;)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby maccydee » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:59 pm

grange_end1927 wrote:Turned down 6 million of sponsorship, which could have gone into the transfer budget

His club his choice.

Not like he hasn’t backed the manager.
maccydee

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Sven wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:

Paul, you're partly right; he's TROLLS on a wind up! ;)

Rubbish. And you know that very well!
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby Scoularfan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:40 pm

I think I like him ,,
Scoularfan

Postby JB1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:25 pm

People keep referring to us overspending on players last time we were in the Premier League. Apart from Cornelius, who was a bad expensive buy? The other players who cost a lot - Caulker and Medel, I'm pretty sure we got our money back on. This season we've spent a lot on Murphy and Reid, hopefully they will be good investments and do well for us. But, until they do I don't think Tan can go on about spending wisely. Of our most expensive signings last season Tomlin's not even in the squad and the jury's still out on Madine, although some have already made their minds up. I think Tan should move on and accept that sometimes managers buy bad players.
JB1

Postby Pencoed » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:47 pm

Agree we don't want to over spend but prices have risen so much in the last few years, I'm not sure our club have realised, Warnock mentioned getting Lerma for 7 Mil (Bournemouth spend 27 to get him). I think the major waste of money bar Aconite was on wages and fee's on Ole's signings
Pencoed

Postby Bob bank mason » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:00 pm

I have wanted tan out since day 1. Nothing but a lil pussy ass
Bob bank mason

Postby jimmy_rat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:03 pm

Bob bank mason wrote:I have wanted tan out since day 1. Nothing but a lil pussy ass

Maybe he'll fight you?
jimmy_rat

Postby JuniorBluebird1980 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:36 pm

At the end of the day if it was not for Tan and his deep deep pockets we would not be where we are today. Who else would have done what he has done! Enjoy our season in the premier league. If we go down so what! If we stay up even better. Just support our club and be thankful we have an owner who has stuck with us.
JuniorBluebird1980

Postby BobbyBlue » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:45 pm

Bob bank mason wrote:I have wanted tan out since day 1. Nothing but a lil pussy ass

How much longer the Mods on here going to let this fool talk so vile. The PG Forum gone out the window looks like didn’t take long.
BobbyBlue

Postby Nuclearblue » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:31 pm

The difference between this time and last the club wasn’t turned inside out changing its identity. We had a good manager last time in Malay and we have an exceptional manager now.
Nuclearblue

Postby neathbluebird » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:58 pm

JuniorBluebird1980 wrote:At the end of the day if it was not for Tan and his deep deep pockets we would not be where we are today. Who else would have done what he has done! Enjoy our season in the premier league. If we go down so what! If we stay up even better. Just support our club and be thankful we have an owner who has stuck with us.

:thumbup: spot on...i think we will surprise a few this season
neathbluebird

Postby dogfound » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:43 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:

Maybe he'll fight you?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
dogfound

Postby Carlossus » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:03 am

dogfound wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:

Maybe he'll fight you?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My moneys on Tan round 1. :lol:
Carlossus

Postby maccydee » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:56 am

JB1 wrote:People keep referring to us overspending on players last time we were in the Premier League. Apart from Cornelius, who was a bad expensive buy? The other players who cost a lot - Caulker and Medel, I'm pretty sure we got our money back on. This season we've spent a lot on Murphy and Reid, hopefully they will be good investments and do well for us. But, until they do I don't think Tan can go on about spending wisely. Of our most expensive signings last season Tomlin's not even in the squad and the jury's still out on Madine, although some have already made their minds up. I think Tan should move on and accept that sometimes managers buy bad players.

Brayford was signed for 2.5 million didn’t play.

Previous season lots of players were signed for around that price that were sold for a lot less or even for nowt.

Of course Acorn was the stand out but lots of money was wasted.
maccydee

Postby KavanaghsGreyHair » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:40 am

Wonder who actually offered up to £6m for sponsorship...
KavanaghsGreyHair

Postby dogfound » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:47 am

JB1 wrote:People keep referring to us overspending on players last time we were in the Premier League. Apart from Cornelius, who was a bad expensive buy? The other players who cost a lot - Caulker and Medel, I'm pretty sure we got our money back on. This season we've spent a lot on Murphy and Reid, hopefully they will be good investments and do well for us. But, until they do I don't think Tan can go on about spending wisely. Of our most expensive signings last season Tomlin's not even in the squad and the jury's still out on Madine, although some have already made their minds up. I think Tan should move on and accept that sometimes managers buy bad players.

people keep referring to the overspending because that is where a big chunk of our debt came from. ..
dogfound

Postby TAP_Sheep » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:23 pm

He comes off very well in this article and seems to have learnt his lessons the hard way. He's definitely quickly becoming the best and most honest owner we've ever had (he may even already be so).

A little bit concerning that he's rejecting £6m a year revenue for the club for the sake of patriotism - but he must know what he's doing. Hopefully he will be rewarded by the Malaysian government in time :bluescarf:
TAP_Sheep

Postby TAP_Sheep » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Totally agree with this. Brayford and Cornelius the stand out players. £2.5m and Cornelius for reported £8m. You can count wages on top of that but £10.5m in transfer fees that didn't go right isn't really that bad - see Leicester spending around £30m on a striker that failed. I think the main problem Tan had was the agency fees which were supposedly much more than they ought to be and it seemed to be the same agent apparently.

I think OGS did much more damage than Malky ever did. Paying large fees and then ending up paying them off after a failed promotion push. At least with the players you mentioned, we made profit or our money back on most of the players Malky brought in.
TAP_Sheep

Next

Return to General Chat