Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CHRIS SUTTON STARTS CITY TALLY SPAT WITH SAVAGE AND MOHAMMAD

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:43 am

Chris Sutton triggers BBC spat live on air after claiming Cardiff City will have lowest Premier League points tally ever
By Ben James

The former England striker claimed the Bluebirds were doomed BEFORE they'd even kicked a ball

Former England striker and BT Sport pundit Chris Sutton has predicted that Cardiff City will be relegated with a record low points tally.

The former Blackburn and Chelsea forward, who also works on BBC 5 Live's 606 radio phone in, made the prediction on Sunday night after fellow 606 presenters Robbie Savage and Jason Mohammad branded him "lazy" for a prediction on Cardiff's fate.

Sutton claimed that the Bluebirds were already down on Saturday - 15 minutes before their match against Bournemouth had even kicked off - which really drew the ire of Savage and Mohammad.

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live on Saturday night, Savage said: "Let me just say on the show I was on this afternoon, Chris Sutton, at 2.46, said Cardiff are down before they kicked a ball."

"He's done his homework hasn't he," replied Mohammad. "I've not seen Chris Sutton in Cardiff to do any research at all.

"It's so lazy. Lazy punditry - that's all it is."

When presented with audio footage of Savage and Mohammad on the Sunday night 606 show, Sutton came out fighting and even doubled down on his prediction - claiming Neil Warnock's side could do worse than the 2008 Derby County side who picked up just 11 points.

Replying to Mohammad's lazy jibes, Sutton retorted: "Lazy presenting!

"I said that before kick-off. Nothing I saw changed my mind on Cardiff.

"When you look at the other sides who have come up, Wolves have spent big money, Fulham have spent big money.

"Cardiff aren't going to score enough goals. They are not good enough to stay in the Premier League.

"I've got a lot of time for Neil Warnock. He's a fighter. He's got a lot of teams up.

"I think he's had 8 promotions in his illustrious career but Cardiff, you're just not good enough.

"You'll be outclassed this season as you were yesterday. You were lucky to get away with a two-goal defeat at Bournemouth.

"I think Cardiff will go down - maybe with a record low points tally."

When Caroline Barker suggested that Sutton wasn't qualified to comment having never been to Cardiff to watch them, Sutton had another little dig at the BBC Wales presenter.

"Well who does Jason Mohammad support? Lazy presenting!"

However, later on in the show, Sutton did change his mind after caller Rachel, a Liverpool fan, picked the former Celtic man up on his prediction.

"I wanted to talk about what Chris said earlier about Cardiff and getting a record points low," explained Rachel.

"Don't get me wrong, I've looked at that Cardiff team and they're not good enough to stay in the Premier League.

"But I kind of disagree about record points low when you compare it to Derby County.

"That Derby team scraped into the league by the play-offs and were the worst team by a mile.

"I'm not saying Cardiff will get beyond 20 points - no way! But you can't say they'll get the record low."

As Sutton backed down from his original claim, he even revealed the mischievous reason behind his bold claim.

"That's a fair point," said the one-cap England international.

"I chucked it in really because I know it would really madden Jason Mohammad to be honest.

"Jason's a Cardiff fan but he knows they're going down."

Robbie Savage and Jason Mohammad took ire with Chris Sutton's prediction
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: CHRIS SUTTON STARTS CITY TALLY SPAT WITH SAVAGE AND MOHA

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:01 am

Am I the only one who didn't think we were that bad yesterday?! Thought we put in a decent performance just didn't get the result... I still predict we will stay up.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:13 am

T1JMO wrote:Am I the only one who didn't think we were that bad yesterday?! Thought we put in a decent performance just didn't get the result... I still predict we will stay up.

I agree in part, thought we did ok once we moved Reid from upfront to the number 10. A lot to be improved on but Murphy, Arter and Zohore could be those changes needed.

If that Morrison moment had gone in who knows what might have happened.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:17 am

This sort of stuff is playing into Warnock's hands. He loves for us to be seen as the underdogs, and what a way to fire the team up than to prove a whole nation wrong.

Personally, I think we'll struggle this season and if we do survive it'll be by a point or two, but I think we'll be fighting to the bitter end.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:18 am

2blue2handle wrote:
T1JMO wrote:Am I the only one who didn't think we were that bad yesterday?! Thought we put in a decent performance just didn't get the result... I still predict we will stay up.

I agree in part, thought we did ok once we moved Reid from upfront to the number 10. A lot to be improved on but Murphy, Arter and Zohore could be those changes needed.

If that Morrison moment had gone in who knows what might have happened.

Agree, Luke :thumbright:

It's early days yet and we have a savvy management team (albeit a little untested at this level) so I expect 'adjustments' to be made as lessons are learned

An unexpected Premier League season for us Bluebirds, so I will embrace and se what happens! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:19 am

Hate to say this but Sutton has a point.

I say this becuase lets be honest none of us expected to get to the Premier and our spending this summer indicates we are preparing for a quick return to the Championship where we could come straight back up.

My real fear is that we do a Derby and if we do we will struggle to come straight back up. Our first target is to make sure we don't do that.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:33 am

Another who will have egg on his face at the end of the season then :ayatollah:

Can we make up a song for this boring clown

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:44 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Hate to say this but Sutton has a point.

I say this becuase lets be honest none of us expected to get to the Premier and our spending this summer indicates we are preparing for a quick return to the Championship where we could come straight back up.

My real fear is that we do a Derby and if we do we will struggle to come straight back up. Our first target is to make sure we don't do that.

Id find it odd if any pundit didn't predict us to go down. If another club had our squad id be amazed if any of our fans thought this squad would stay up.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Theres thinking we will go down and there’s being a f*cking tw*t about it.

Let people talk shit all we can do is make them look stupid.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:05 pm

phildavies wrote:Another who will have egg on his face at the end of the season then :ayatollah:

Can we make up a song for this boring clown

He's a tool, hopefully we can show him and give him a song at the end of the season.

Record low points my arse !!!

Here is Adrian Durham showing Sutton up for the idiot he is !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPt82pbAoOs

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm

There’s some truly awful pundits out there - but Sutton takes it to another level again.

Wouldn’t take too much notice of him though, he’s not too bright with numbers. He wouldn’t have gone bankrupt if he were.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:37 pm

Does anyone think we are as bad as that derby side? Is it 4 wins and we beat their points tally? Surely we have enough to do that don't we? :shock: relegation yes but with 10 points mmmmmm :roll:

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:46 pm

Totally agree, and if we do go down there's no guarantee well ever get back up again. Still we are where we are and all we can do is fight to stay up.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm

City Slicker wrote:

Totally agree, and if we do go down there's no guarantee well ever get back up again. Still we are where we are and all we can do is fight to stay up.

I can’t get my head around the fact so many City fans will accept relegation whilst believing that we will come straight back up. It doesn’t work like that it’s known that the Championship is the hardest Division to get out of it. It is very rare for a team to be relegated and then ‘bounce’ straight back up to the Premiership. It’s simple, just make the most of your chance when you get there! No team has a right to be promoted to the Premiership. Just look at the number of ex Premiership teams in the Championship.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:06 pm

Dont know how you can say none of us expected to go up, I believed in the side and we did, all be it creeping over the line, and I believe we will stay up and If we creep over the line again, great . Joining the Sutton bandwagon will only breed negativity and that could spread like a disease, as fans we should be creating positivity spread it on the terraces and spread it to our team .

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:07 pm

We're not going to get relagated.

They needed a sharp slap to properly understand the new standard needed, but they'll soon up their game accordingly.
There's no way round the initial shock of playing big boys games - you can't really train for it, but they'll either catch on or not , and I saw enough to know they will.

It's also clear that we need both new midfielders eased into the team as quickly as possible without overwhelming them.
I suggest that Harry Arter is put straight in to start establishing a bit of shape there , even though that's a bit quick, because it's obviously urgent.

Just go down to the ground for the Newcastle game and intimidate the visitors will you ?

Just watching them against Tottenham as I type and they're very weak in the air, so we just need Ken back or even Gary Madine plus a few raids by Morrison and Bamba. The defenders are also very easily drawn into the middle .

Look, don't worry about all this talk by self appointed experts . They can't foretell the future and they're all just clinging to easy guesses based on statistics and the inflated reputations of over priced players but reality is always different to expectations and what we're setting out to do here is perfectly possible. Did the experts opinions or the money Wolves and Aston Vanilla spent last year end up producing the predicted outcome ?

Tell you one thing. We need to win ten games , that's all, and I'm sure we can do that over the season. Of course, we'll do a bit better than that so whilst I don't think anyone should expect a top six finish, I'm pretty sure you needn't expect relagation either.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:35 pm

Sutton likes to be controversial, he loves upsetting folk.

His points tally claim is laughable but getting the responses he thrives off.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:43 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

I can’t get my head around the fact so many City fans will accept relegation whilst believing that we will come straight back up. It doesn’t work like that it’s known that the Championship is the hardest Division to get out of it. It is very rare for a team to be relegated and then ‘bounce’ straight back up to the Premiership. It’s simple, just make the most of your chance when you get there! No team has a right to be promoted to the Premiership. Just look at the number of ex Premiership teams in the Championship.

i cant get my head arpound the 3 or 4 of you that have tweisted it tbh...MOST think we are staying up BUT should we get relegated.which is not accepting relegation at all..its actually you lot are flat out havent spent a zillion pounds so therefore we are doomed...its you people that are accepting relegation ..the window closed and your still harping on about it...ive never ever come across this level of negativety tbh..

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:13 pm

Well said dogfound!!!

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:20 pm

We were off the pace of Bournemouth better teams will rip us a new one. We have no real threat up front at this level and Bournemouth were able to pass the ball about with out any threat
It's going to be fight

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:42 pm

bluewho wrote:We were off the pace of Bournemouth better teams will rip us a new one. We have no real threat up front at this level and Bournemouth were able to pass the ball about with out any threat
It's going to be fight

Until the injury time goal we were in the game all the way , we were not at full strength and we had them on the rack a couple of times, yes they had their twenty minutes of tippy tappy but we know this is going to be the case of many teams.Next game will be different with different options and stronger options. I was heartned by the performance we did not underwhelm.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:49 pm

dogfound wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

i cant get my head arpound the 3 or 4 of you that have tweisted it tbh...MOST think we are staying up BUT should we get relegated.which is not accepting relegation at all..its actually you lot are flat out havent spent a zillion pounds so therefore we are doomed...its you people that are accepting relegation ..the window closed and your still harping on about it...ive never ever come across this level of negativety tbh..

Just being realistic.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:46 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
dogfound wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

Just being realistic.

:thumbup:

Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Yes.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:36 pm

PtB wrote:Sutton likes to be controversial, he loves upsetting folk.

He really is a babbling chimp.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:42 pm

Dahboy wrote:

Yes.

Actually, no...I know many (including myself) that thought there were some positive signs ;)

A poor start with some basic and individual errors was turned around to some extent and a draw might have been on the cards with the second half performance...

But don't let that stop you from being your usual negative and assumptious self! :roll:

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Jock wrote:
PtB wrote:Sutton likes to be controversial, he loves upsetting folk.

He really is a babbling chimp.

Harsh on chimps that is mate!

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:14 pm

I think we will finish bottom with under 20 points. However, Warnock is the right man for the job. Not interested in short term theme park rides. Its the solud fondations I want in place and Warnock is the man.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:22 pm

BlueMoon1974 wrote:I think we will finish bottom with under 20 points. However, Warnock is the right man for the job. Not interested in short term theme park rides. Its the solud fondations I want in place and Warnock is the man.

Had a knock to the head have you?

We didn’t play like a team that was going to fold easy on Saturday.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:32 pm

I often listen to Five Live, although didn’t hear this. It can be comedy gold when Sutton is on. As others have said, he enjoys being controversial. When he’s on with Chappers, then Chappers just laughs at him and asks him go back his opinion up with facts - normally shuts Sutton up.

I will be surprised if the lowest points tally by Derby gets beaten in the near future by anyone. I also don’t agree with the caller who says we’ll get less than 20 points.

We all know it’s going to be a long, difficult season. We don’t know whether we’ll stay up or go down yet, but all we can do is support the team and manager for the next 37 games.