CHANGES IMMINENT AHEAD OF NEWCASTLE GAME?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: CHANGES IMMINENT AHEAD OF NEWCASTLE GAME?

Postby paulh_85 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:19 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:
Mr Potato wrote:No but Ralls isn’t the player he is made out be, had he been tighter to king for the 1st goal sat they may not have scored as ever Ralls didn’t track with his man, he stood in no mans land ball watching. Ralls is awful when we don’t have possession we can’t afford that. I’d rather see Camarasa and Arter in there.

From the footage on tv it was Bamber who lost the man and did not track back

Just watched the goal again and we're both spot on. It was 100% Bamba's fault. Very disappointing because Bamba should have been able to see the danger and he still had plenty of time to get back goal side of Fraser. Unfortunately, Sol just ball watched and allowed Fraser to stay in front of him for a simple finish.

How Mr Potato is inexplicably blaming Ralls for that goal is beyond me!

Beyond me too but his point about ralls in general isn’t too far off.

Defending with the ball in front of you is the easy part, we need to be more switched on in general when they get in behind us
paulh_85

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby Mr Potato » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:20 pm

I am not anti Ralls, the goal is awful and it was poor from many not just Ralls. I am just highlighting midfield needs a change and Ralls is guilty of losing his man too easily. I have said previously I like Ralls and a fresh Ralls coming on with a point to prove would not be a bad thing.
Mr Potato

Postby RhiwEbbwBluebird » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:16 pm

Ralls is too slow without posession and too slow with posession, he will be second best to the premiership midfielders all season as i posted before, championship is his level hes not good enough for the premiership imo, arter is a good upgrade for ralls and id like to see camarassa next to arter
RhiwEbbwBluebird

Postby soldierblue1880 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:22 am

It's essential that Warnock gets his team selection for Saturday's game right,something that Warnock hasn't always got right,no more trying to fit square pegs into round holes,no Bamba no Paterson in midfield and Peltier not being selected at fullback and surely Murphy has to start from the beginning
soldierblue1880

Postby DITH80 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 am

To be fair to Ralls it is difficult to judge him on the Bournemouth game. He was required to play alongside Bamba and Patterson who both looked as if they didn't have a clue what they were doing.
I have reservations about Ralls at this level, but he deserves to be given the opportunity alongside proper midfield players.
Arter I'm sure, from his performances for Bournemouth, will improve our midfield considerably, Camarasa, in my opinion, is an unknown quantity, who has no experience at this level.
Whoever plays in midfield on Saturday it will be with Ralls and not instead of him: Warnock clearly rates him highly.
DITH80

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:48 am

RhiwEbbwBluebird wrote:Ralls is too slow without posession and too slow with posession, he will be second best to the premiership midfielders all season as i posted before, championship is his level hes not good enough for the premiership imo, arter is a good upgrade for ralls and id like to see camarassa next to arter

What’s Camarasa like mate?
bluebirdoct1962

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:05 am

Etheridge

Jazz/Pelts
Bamba
Morrison
Bennett

Ralls Arter

Hoilett Reid/Murphy NML

Zohore
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Wardy64 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:51 am

Etheridge
Richards
Morrison
Manga
Bennett

Arter
Camarasa
Patterson

Zohore
Murphy
Reid
Wardy64

Postby Wardy64 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:51 am

Etheridge
Richards
Morrison
Manga
Bennett

Arter
Camarasa
Patterson

Zohore
Murphy
Reid
Wardy64

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:01 am

Sven wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Sven wrote:The changes Neil Warnock could make ahead of Cardiff City’s opening home clash with Newcastle United
By Jamie Kemble

Cardiff City got off to a false start in their Premier League opener on the weekend.

The Bluebirds enjoyed no such dream start to their Premier League return, with an experienced Bournemouth side brushing them aside to get their own season off to a winning start on Saturday.

Warnock’s men do have the chance to register their first points of the season in their opening home clash this weekend when they take on Newcastle United.

To do that, however, the Bluebirds boss may need to make some tactical and personnel adjustments after a handful of under par displays at the Vitality Stadium.

So what are the most likely changes ahead of the Newcastle United clash?

Zohore in – Reid out

Warnock had little choice in going without Zohore for the Cherries clash after losing the striker in the lead up to the game.

However, arguably, in Zohore’s absence, he should have gone like-for-like and played Gary Madine to ensure presence up top.

Bobby Reid, to his credit, worked hard all afternoon, but in a front three consisting of two smaller wingers, Cardiff need a focal point in between.

That’s why Zohore has to come back in this weekend if fit, and if he’s not, then Gary Madine should be called upon.

Gunnarsson in – Bamba out

If Aron Gunnarsson returns to fitness, then he simply has to play against Newcastle United this weekend.

Sol Bamba struggled in the defensive midfield role in the Championship for the most part, and unsurprisingly, he has already struggled playing there in the Premier League.

It’s not Bamba’s fault as such, he is playing out of position, but in any case, a change has to be made for Cardiff to win games in the midfield.

Warnock was a little stuck in regards to this position with Arter ineligible and Gunnarsson injured, but he should have more options this coming weekend.

Gunnarsson had an injection in his knee early last week after picking up a knock, and it’s expected he will return for this weekend.

It may seem harsh to drop Bamba after he was forced to play out of position, but with Bruno Ecuele-Manga shining at the back, he may have to be content with a spot on the bench.

Murphy in – Mendez-Laing out

This is perhaps one of the less likely changes. Nathaniel Mendez-Laing had a decent game against Bournemouth, looking the most likely to create in the first-half. So it may be a little harsh to drop him for this one.

Josh Murphy did make an impact offensively when he came on against Bournemouth, but his poor defending did factor into Cardiff conceding a second goal. That could influence Warnock’s decision.

However, if there’s one thing we learned from that Bournemouth defeat, it’s that Cardiff need to be more of a threat going forward.

We’ve seen during pre-season that Josh Murphy can offer that with his sheer pace and that may be enough for him to get the nod.

It’s also a big game for Murphy, who may have the opportunity to face his twin brother Jacob.

Arter in – Paterson out

Paterson didn’t enjoy the best of afternoons at the Vitality Stadium. There were a number of stray passes and he just struggled to settle down in a midfield that was bypassed far too often.

Granted, Cardiff’s midfield didn’t have the protection of Aron Gunnarsson, which they are used to, but they still need to be stronger.

Physical presence would have been one of the main reasons behind starting Callum Paterson, but he just didn’t do enough on Saturday.

Paterson still has a big role to play for Cardiff City this season, but for the sake of balance and control in midfield, he may find himself replaced by Harry Arter for the Newcastle clash.

Warnock could also opt to bring in Victor Camarasa in this position.

Other possibilities

Neil Warnock isn’t likely to tear his team up and start again just yet. In fact, it’s unlikely he will make all four changes mentioned above in one go – that may send a message of panic out to his players.

However, despite there being positives from the opening day defeat, you have to admit that many players didn’t do themselves justice, leaving Warnock with a number of options.

In fact, based on performances alone, there could be as many as five changes if Warnock was ruthless in his selection. Perhaps also replacing Lee Peltier with Jazz Richards.

Peltier struggled to get to grips with Bournemouth on Saturday and a Newcastle side riddled with pace will be no easier on Saturday.

Having said that, you’ve got to bring the performances into context and even the most critical of supporters should be able to offer their players some adjustment time.

This is an inexperienced Cardiff City team in Premier League terms, and these players will need time to get up to speed.

Some of them have just played their first ever 90 minutes in this league and understandably, it was a shock to the system for around half of them.

Adjustment to the speed of the game will come for most, if not all, and Neil Warnock will be weary of that.

One defeat should not mean panic stations and while some changes are inevitable, the Bluebirds faithful shouldn’t expect any wholesale changes this weekend.

No offence but I'm glad you're not picking the team ! We'd lose 5-0.
Not going to address all those whacky suggestions, but it's more about playing people in the right position than dropping them, which is possible if Mr Arter is ready and Ken is fit. Then Sol Bamba won't have to play in midfield and Bobby Reid won't have to try and replace a tall ariel target man.
What you're suggesting would be a complete abandonment of the entire shape and strategy we play.

No offence taken but I think you need to read the OP properly! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Oh, okay, you were quoting an article in its entirety rather than answering the question it proposed. My apology.
My point remains though, albeit directed at the author rather than yourself.
SirJimmySchoular

Previous

Return to General Chat