What a load of crap

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What a load of crap

Postby Igovernor » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:56 pm

How can they call this racism

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45196259

Raheem Sterling: Silence over criticism is 'shameful', says Kick It Out chair

Ian Wright says the media criticism of Raheem Sterling is 'tinged with racism'.
There has been a "shameful silence" over ongoing criticism of Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling, says a leading anti-racism campaigner.

Lord Herman Ouseley, chair of Kick It Out, has called for football's leading bodies to tackle the concerns.

Ex-Arsenal striker Ian Wright told BBC Radio 5 live on Monday that criticism of Sterling is motivated by racism.

Lord Ouseley, in his weekly column for The Voice, suggested the winger could be "driven out of the English game".

Sterling, 23, has faced frequent media disapproval, most recently for a tattoo of a rifle on his leg but also for purchasing clothes from Primark and buying his mother a house. He was also criticised over his World Cup performances for England in Russia.

During the tournament, Sterling wrote a blog post for The Players' Tribune in which he said he no longer worries about the media "picking on him".

In his column, Lord Ouseley, who founded Kick It Out 25 years ago to tackle racism and discrimination in football, asked the Football Association, Professional Footballers' Association and League Managers' Association to join the organisation in speaking out.

He wrote: "Where is the FA on this? Where is the Premier League on this? Where are the PFA and LMA on this?

"Where are the voices of the leaders in football on this? Are they happy to see a young black talent driven out of the English game because he is vilified unreasonably and unjustifiably while the governing bodies maintained a shameful silence?"

Bobby Barnes, deputy chief executive of the PFA, told BBC Sport that Sterling should be celebrated rather than harshly treated because of misconceptions in the media.

"He's a young lad who should be held up as a story of success against adversity," said Barnes, pointing to the respect that the winger has from Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola and England boss Gareth Southgate.

"It's a shame there isn't more talk about a young man who has come to this country and built a great future and made a wonderful contribution to the clubs he's been at."

The FA told BBC Sport it spoke to England players before the World Cup regarding concerns over racism in Russia. It said it wanted to make sure players felt they had the backing of the governing body should they need it, and that those support networks remain in place.

Raheem Sterling: What are World Cup critics not seeing?

'It was all a dream': Raheem Sterling for The Players' Tribune

Lord Ouseley added: "The 23-year-old is successful and well-off by anybody's standards - the red-top sniping at him does smack of resentment towards a young, black man from humble roots, as if he's somehow not entitled to enjoy the fruits of his hard work, talent and dedication."

He wrote that Sterling may have been cast as a "pantomime villain" - with criticisms of his on-field performances meant sincerely - but asked whether there was a "racial undercurrent" to the media coverage.

Lord Ouseley added: "Ian Wright has spoken out and I applaud him for it. We at Kick It Out will speak out too - how many influential figures in the game will join us?"
Igovernor

What a load of crap

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: What a load of crap

Postby Bluebird1990 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:29 pm

I don't think they understand the meaning of the word "Racism" can someone please give these morons a Dictionary
Bluebird1990

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:22 pm

It’s worrying.
I’m a school teacher and the amount of children who report a ‘racist incident’in the school yard is incredible. I genuinely think it’s the buzz word and a safe bet of an accusation.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby ImNafe » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:49 pm

There's a lot of posts on this forum lately that seem to leaning further and further right wing.

In my honest opinion, as a white guy, some of he crap that the Sun print out makes no sense and does appear to be racially motivated because there could be no other reason for it.

Articles shaming him because of minor non-issues just blows my mind.

I can understand the concern for overuse of the term 'racist' for this kind of stuff.
ImNafe

Postby ImNafe » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:50 pm

See also the "Ban the Burka" thread and "Free Tommy Robinson" threads
ImNafe

Postby nubbsy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Where was this 'Lord Ouseley' when the likes of Wayne Rooney have been getting bullied by the media over the last ten years? Or is it only important because he's black?
nubbsy

Postby ImNafe » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:00 pm

So is it not racism, just Sterling's turn?
ImNafe

Postby rossblue » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:06 pm

So now you can't criticise someone of a different race without being labelled a racist???

On that note I believe sterling to be a fantastic player, probably the best in the world. And doesn't run like a school girl .
rossblue

Postby ImNafe » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:16 pm

rossblue wrote:So now you can't criticise someone of a different race without being labelled a racist???

On that note I believe sterling to be a fantastic player, probably the best in the world. And doesn't run like a school girl .

You can criticise the man all you like. But when you criticise someone for buying their mum a house, shopping at Primark and getting a tattoo, seems a bit of a personal attack to me.
ImNafe

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:28 pm

rossblue wrote:So now you can't criticise someone of a different race without being labelled a racist???

I think he runs like a little gay boy myself.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:40 pm

:banghead:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

bluebirdoct1962

Postby Stairway to Merthyr » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:27 pm

Don't think it's racist. Sterling pissed a lot of people off (mainly scousers)when he left Liverpool for Man city for more money. Chants of "You're just a greedy b*****d" are still sung to this day.
Stairway to Merthyr

Postby rossblue » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:14 pm

ImNafe wrote:

You can criticise the man all you like. But when you criticise someone for buying their mum a house, shopping at Primark and getting a tattoo, seems a bit of a personal attack to me.

And it's only sterling who is critiqued in this way????
rossblue

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:58 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote::banghead:

What’s the matter mate, not PC enough for you?
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:06 pm

If I was gay, which I’m not, I’d find it insulting, mate!
bluebirdoct1962

Postby englishbluebird » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:41 pm

ImNafe wrote:See also the "Ban the Burka" thread and "Free Tommy Robinson" threads

Some people are in favour of Banning the Burka and support some of Tommy Robinsons views. It doesn't make you right wing or any other label, just because they disagree with you.
"Like we give a f**k about the Carling Cup"-6Bysedd
englishbluebird

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:42 pm

englishbluebird wrote:
ImNafe wrote:See also the "Ban the Burka" thread and "Free Tommy Robinson" threads

Some people are in favour of Banning the Burka and support some of Tommy Robinsons views. It doesn't make you right wing or any other label, just because they disagree with you.

Totally agree mate.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby nubbsy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:10 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Why would gays not wana run like sterlin? That's racist and homophobic. You're sick man.
nubbsy

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:06 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Well I’ve known gays who mince about like women and laugh about it.
If Ross said he runs like a girl then I suppose girls find it insulting.
PC has become pathetic in this country and people like you seem to be driving it on.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby rossblue » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:10 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Well I’ve known gays who mince about like women and laugh about it.
If Ross said he runs like a girl then I suppose girls find it insulting.
PC has become pathetic in this country and people like you seem to be driving it on.

No I said he doesn't run like a school girl, if I said anything different I fear the politically correct police would shout me down
rossblue

Postby rossblue » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:13 am

We are dangerously close to not being allowed to say anything about another person without being labelled as prejudice.

Soon describing someone as being short will be swapped for "vertically challenged" or a bald man "folicularly challenged" or a skinny person " less built" it all means the same. It's just because we have to consider people's "feelings".
rossblue

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:29 am

rossblue wrote:We are dangerously close to not being allowed to say anything about another person without being labelled as prejudice.

Soon describing someone as being short will be swapped for "vertically challenged" or a bald man "folicularly challenged" or a skinny person " less built" it all means the same. It's just because we have to consider people's "feelings".

Exactly mate and that’s how ridiculous things are becoming. There are hundreds of examples of words and phrases being banned so not to cause offence like - ba ba black sheep and even councils trying to ban the phrase Happy Christmas in favour of Seasons Greetings so not to insult muslims.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:46 am

rossblue wrote:We are dangerously close to not being allowed to say anything about another person without being labelled as prejudice.

Exactly mate and that’s how ridiculous things are becoming. There are hundreds of examples of words and phrases being banned so not to cause offence like - ba ba black sheep and even councils trying to ban the phrase Happy Christmas in favour of Seasons Greetings so not to insult muslims.

Believe it or not, I agree with all of that.
Read above what I said about what’s happening in schools - ridiculous
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:23 am

Look, I guess it’s fine to criticise people as long as it’s not done in a way that’s personal. For example a football coach shouting at a player for not carrying out the things that were asked of him but if that manager then started bringing personal things into the argument that’s when it gets more serious and the bottom line hurts peoples feelings. Again whether it’s to do with Race , sexuality or whatever it maybe..if someone talks about someone in a derogatory way and specifically uses their race (doesn’t have to be that word but something in relation to it) then people are going to get feel upset or hurt by it. Perhaps not everyone but who are we to say that person won’t feel upset by it, how do we know what that person has been through in the past as well in relation to abuse. It could be a painful topic to bring up. Sometimes people might make a genuine mistake for example with the gender variations or no gender etc (whatever terms people use) although I’m sure these gender variations have been around since dot, it’s just that the terms people are using and awareness now seem relatively new. For many people they haven’t heard of these terms and it may seem strange to some people who have never come across something. So with that in mind it my be forgivable if someone questions someone’s gender because they genuinely don’t know but just always bear in mind that people can get offended by it because it’s personal and if it’s done in a derogatory way, you could be in trouble. I always think there’s such thing as an easy accessible internet these days and if you hear of something different a but you have no idea hat it is and even think it seems weird, go and read up on it. I’m not saying go and read for hours on different races of the world or different sexual orientations but a quick look might even make you more comfortable with it as many of these things with predujice and discrimination in mind have really been born out of fear. Yeah straight and gay people or white people or someone from another part of the world may do things that are wrong in their lives, but that’s nothing to do with their race or sexuality, it’s to do with the person!

So I guess the bottom line is just to be considerate towards people and perhaps think before saying something, is it likely to hurt this person? There are other ways of criticising someone that is not a personal attack. You might wonder why this is so close to my heart....well I know a few people and friends who have suffered at the hands of racial and homophobic abuse and believe me these people have suffered enough without anyone making what may seem a funny joke towards them. I’m not trying to preach at anyone as I’m sure most people on here are very considerate about this sort of thing but you always get 1 person every now and then.
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:37 am

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:Look, I guess it’s fine to criticise people as long as it’s not done in a way that’s personal. For example a football coach shouting at a player for not carrying out the things that were asked of him but if that manager then started bringing personal things into the argument that’s when it gets more serious and the bottom line hurts peoples feelings. Again whether it’s to do with Race , sexuality or whatever it maybe..if someone talks about someone in a derogatory way and specifically uses their race (doesn’t have to be that word but something in relation to it) then people are going to get feel upset or hurt by it. Perhaps not everyone but who are we to say that person won’t feel upset by it, how do we know what that person has been through in the past as well in relation to abuse. It could be a painful topic to bring up. Sometimes people might make a genuine mistake for example with the gender variations or no gender etc (whatever terms people use) although I’m sure these gender variations have been around since dot, it’s just that the terms people are using and awareness now seem relatively new. For many people they haven’t heard of these terms and it may seem strange to some people who have never come across something. So with that in mind it my be forgivable if someone questions someone’s gender because they genuinely don’t know but just always bear in mind that people can get offended by it because it’s personal and if it’s done in a derogatory way, you could be in trouble. I always think there’s such thing as an easy accessible internet these days and if you hear of something different a but you have no idea hat it is and even think it seems weird, go and read up on it. I’m not saying go and read for hours on different races of the world or different sexual orientations but a quick look might even make you more comfortable with it as many of these things with predujice and discrimination in mind have really been born out of fear. Yeah straight and gay people or white people or someone from another part of the world may do things that are wrong in their lives, but that’s nothing to do with their race or sexuality, it’s to do with the person!

So I guess the bottom line is just to be considerate towards people and perhaps think before saying something, is it likely to hurt this person? There are other ways of criticising someone that is not a personal attack. You might wonder why this is so close to my heart....well I know a few people and friends who have suffered at the hands of racial and homophobic abuse and believe me these people have suffered enough without anyone making what may seem a funny joke towards them. I’m not trying to preach at anyone as I’m sure most people on here are very considerate about this sort of thing but you always get 1 person every now and then.

Well said mate.
I have a mate who’s gay and as a strapping six footer who used to play top class rugby, he’s certainly not what you’d call a stereotypical gay person. Like you, i was horrified to hear some of his stories about abuse etc and as you say, it’s nothing to do with being PC, it’s about common decency.
He’s a top guy and is the first to say “chill out” if people become over protective etc. He thought the story about the song “we can see you holding hands “ was hilarious
bluebirdoct1962

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:05 am

I don't understand it... If I'm arguing with a ginger lad then i'll call him a ginger fucker... if its someone over weight then ill call him a fat c**t.... you know where i'm going with this...

The world has gone mad and soft.
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:15 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:I don't understand it... If I'm arguing with a ginger lad then i'll call him a ginger fucker... if its someone over weight then ill call him a fat c**t.... you know where i'm going with this...

Out of interest , what would you say to a disabled person that you were ‘arguing with’?
Btw, I do agree that this country has gone soft on many things.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:26 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:I don't understand it... If I'm arguing with a ginger lad then i'll call him a ginger fucker... if its someone over weight then ill call him a fat c**t.... you know where i'm going with this...

Out of interest , what would you say to a disabled person that you were ‘arguing with’?

Fighting talk not just a disagreement... but yes I would pick on that particular thing and i'd expect the same back.

My point is - things get said in the heat of the moment, it doesn't mean that person is a racist.
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:29 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:Look, I guess it’s fine to criticise people as long as it’s not done in a way that’s personal. For example a football coach shouting at a player for not carrying out the things that were asked of him but if that manager then started bringing personal things into the argument that’s when it gets more serious and the bottom line hurts peoples feelings. Again whether it’s to do with Race , sexuality or whatever it maybe..if someone talks about someone in a derogatory way and specifically uses their race (doesn’t have to be that word but something in relation to it) then people are going to get feel upset or hurt by it. Perhaps not everyone but who are we to say that person won’t feel upset by it, how do we know what that person has been through in the past as well in relation to abuse. It could be a painful topic to bring up. Sometimes people might make a genuine mistake for example with the gender variations or no gender etc (whatever terms people use) although I’m sure these gender variations have been around since dot, it’s just that the terms people are using and awareness now seem relatively new. For many people they haven’t heard of these terms and it may seem strange to some people who have never come across something. So with that in mind it my be forgivable if someone questions someone’s gender because they genuinely don’t know but just always bear in mind that people can get offended by it because it’s personal and if it’s done in a derogatory way, you could be in trouble. I always think there’s such thing as an easy accessible internet these days and if you hear of something different a but you have no idea hat it is and even think it seems weird, go and read up on it. I’m not saying go and read for hours on different races of the world or different sexual orientations but a quick look might even make you more comfortable with it as many of these things with predujice and discrimination in mind have really been born out of fear. Yeah straight and gay people or white people or someone from another part of the world may do things that are wrong in their lives, but that’s nothing to do with their race or sexuality, it’s to do with the person!

Well said mate.
I have a mate who’s gay and as a strapping six footer who used to play top class rugby, he’s certainly not what you’d call a stereotypical gay person. Like you, i was horrified to hear some of his stories about abuse etc and as you say, it’s nothing to do with being PC, it’s about common decency.
He’s a top guy and is the first to say “chill out” if people become over protective etc. He thought the story about the song “we can see you holding hands “ was hilarious

Agree mate, I’d imagine many gay people probably wouldn’t take offence or be hurt by sometj8ng as long as it’s not a personal attack. The trouble is I know what horrible abuse a couple of my gay friends have been through, literally called all the names and taunted as a youngster and teenager (as if teen years aren’t bad enough and you feel abit self conscious etc) and say that person is in their 50’s now, and suddenly someone calls them one of those words used against them as a teen, it could be potentially really hurtful. I do believe that it’s a good thing that the society is recognising and accepting that we live in a diverse world. Yes it seems that there are many terms that should be used correctly now and other terms which are incorrect and trying to keep track of these and even know which applies to different people can be difficult but it’s just abit of common sense and decency and if you’re not sure, perhaps wait for that person to tell you about it etc. Let’s face it learning some correct pc terms and what they mean can’t be any harder than learning the names and players of a football team for example! Overtime I believe it will settle down as people will be aware of everything and hopefully no fear as at the end of the day, they are just fellow human beings. If I heard people shouting abuse at one of our players or any players come to that, cos they were gay, I’d be bloody livid!
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:31 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Fighting talk not just a disagreement... but yes I would pick on that particular thing and i'd expect the same back.

My point is - things get said in the heat of the moment, it doesn't mean that person is a racist.

Mate I agree. Really I do. And in fighting talk I’ve said things that are insulting and deffo not pc.
I don’t know, I suppose I’m a person that loves a good joke and I agree that the country has gone pc mad. Just don’t think it’s rught to just insult for the sake of it.
bluebirdoct1962

Next

Return to General Chat