Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Brexit and football

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:46 am

Interesting...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45206066

Re: Brexit and football

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:53 am

It's rubbish - we won't know what effect it will have (if any) until the new immigration/qualifying criteria has been set - we could see new players being allowed in from all over the world!

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:09 am

BlueGog wrote:Interesting...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45206066

Project fear at it again. Do players really look at the 'value of the pound' when signing multi million pound contracts? The most important thing to players (and their agents) is how much will be in their bank accounts at the end of the month and the PL blows every other European league out of the water when comes to finance.

Even if BREXIT does cause less European playing talent to come here then I view that as a good thing as it gives homegrown talent a chance rather than a Carlos Cost a Lot.

Finally both Burnley and Stoke voted heavily to leave the EU. These Chairmen should make it clear they are speaking from personal preference rather than on behalf of their clubs which on the balance of probabilities would have a large majority of fans in favour of BREXIT.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 am

It may bring down wages and transfer fees? And how did clubs sign players from EU or anywhere else in the world prior to this, and no doubt work permit rules be relaxed there are several ways around things if required. :old:

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:35 am

scare mongering

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:55 pm

Time the licence was scrapped.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:25 pm

pembroke allan wrote:It may bring down wages and transfer fees? And how did clubs sign players from EU or anywhere else in the world prior to this, and no doubt work permit rules be relaxed there are several ways around things if required. :old:

They didn't

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:14 pm

Yep, good thing we’re leaving.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:50 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Project fear at it again. Do players really look at the 'value of the pound' when signing multi million pound contracts?

Dec 2015: Every £1,000,000 was worth €1,420,000
Today: Every £1,000,000 is worth €1,120,000

Its a 21% wage cut for them.

Tony Blue Williams wrote:the most important thing to players (and their agents) is how much will be in their bank accounts at the end of the month

agree which is why your post is bollocks.

Project bullshit is at it again I see.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:18 am

Dave67 wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:Project fear at it again. Do players really look at the 'value of the pound' when signing multi million pound contracts?

Tony Blue Williams wrote:the most important thing to players (and their agents) is how much will be in their bank accounts at the end of the month

the new TV deal and wages blow that 21% to kingdom come.
and yes a lot of the TV money comes from overseas broadcasting so having more pounds for your euro makes it worse..? :o
hope your not an accountant

Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:46 am

dogfound wrote:the new TV deal and wages blow that 21% to kingdom come.
and yes a lot of the TV money comes from overseas broadcasting so having more pounds for your euro makes it worse..? :o

errrm... the point you have quoted is about players wages and why euro based players are receiving less money in the UK since Brexit.

maybe read what you are quoting before replying and try to keep up?

I try hard not to question your intelligence in these threads but you make it very difficult for me...

Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:49 am

Dave67 wrote:

errrm... the point you have quoted is about players wages and why euro based players are receiving less money in the UK since Brexit.

I try hard not to question your intelligence in these threads but you make it very difficult for me...[/quote

tv money went up..players wages went up by massive amounts..simples
and im quite sure those negotiating TV deals with foreign broadcasters are aware of the exchange rate and adjust accordingly. just because that would never cross your mind do not assume it hasnt crossed everyone elses mind.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:03 am

Dave67 wrote:

And how will the poor sods get by :roll:

BREXIT hasn't happened yet and the UK IS still in the EU so your figures prove nothing except the £- € fluctuates when we are still members. When we leave we'll see what the exchange rate is then.

As for bullshit in 2016 both the Bank of England and the IMF stated that the £ was overvalued and a correction was expected whether the UK voted to leave the EU or not. So it is Bullshit on your behalf to claim that the fall in the pound is wholly down to the BREXIT vote. :D

Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:05 am

dogfound wrote:
Dave67 wrote:

I try hard not to question your intelligence in these threads but you make it very difficult for me...[/quote

and im quite sure those negotiating TV deals with foreign broadcasters are aware of the exchange rate and adjust accordingly. just because that would never cross your mind do not assume it hasnt crossed everyone elses mind.

Spot on dogfound but remoaners will never let facts get in the way of a good scare story. How the hell this Dave67 has the nerve to question your intelligence is totally beyond me :banghead:

Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:25 am

I think chairmen are probably in a better position to give an opinion on this topic than you and I, considering they are involved in trying to buy players.

This is no “project fear” but the opinion of people actively involved in the game.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:51 pm

Hurry up Brexit :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:17 pm

Yeah, Neil Etheridge saved that penalty today because of Brexit.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:49 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Dave67 wrote:

Spot on dogfound but remoaners will never let facts get in the way of a good scare story. How the hell this Dave67 has the nerve to question your intelligence is totally beyond me :banghead:

Knowing how greedy agents and players are, I am sure they take exchange rates into accounts when they discuss salaries. Brexit remoaners blame everything on the fact we are leaving the EU, but even Jeremy Hunt has changed his tune slightly saying that Britain will prosper outside of the EU. We import far more from EU countries than we export to them so it is not rocket science to see who will be the big losers if deals are not made. The German car industry just for starters.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:12 am

A Euro player that Cost £10,000,000 in Dec 2015 would now cost £12,100,000

It is a statement of fact - it shouldn't be too difficult to understand.

The pound slumped 2% on the announcement of the referendum in Feb 2016 and 10% on the night of the referendum.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:33 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Dave67 wrote:

Knowing how greedy agents and players are, I am sure they take exchange rates into accounts when they discuss salaries. Brexit remoaners blame everything on the fact we are leaving the EU, but even Jeremy Hunt has changed his tune slightly saying that Britain will prosper outside of the EU. We import far more from EU countries than we export to them so it is not rocket science to see who will be the big losers if deals are not made. The German car industry just for starters.

We are the losers if we import more - because with no deal, We ultimately end up paying more for goods and services.

on top of that, the more the pound collapses the more expensive things will get, to compensate for the loss in the pound. You already see this in football but also in car manufacturing’s (ford, Nissan and vauxhall have increased prices, in food (butter,marmite, walkers crisps and even bananas) and in tech where MacBooks have gone up and so have washing machines.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:44 am

JimCP91 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Dave67 wrote:

We are the losers if we import more - because with no deal, We ultimately end up paying more for goods and services.

on top of that, the more the pound collapses the more expensive things will get, to compensate for the loss in the pound. You already see this in football but also in car manufacturing’s (ford, Nissan and vauxhall have increased prices, in food (butter,marmite, walkers crisps and even bananas) and in tech where MacBooks have gone up and so have washing machines.

The thing is the EU needs our cash. They are not the only people who are selling the products we want. If they don't play ball, we just negotiate with others in the same way we did before we joined the Common Market.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:51 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Dave67 wrote:

The thing is the EU needs our cash. They are not the only people who are selling the products we want. If they don't play ball, we just negotiate with others in the same way we did before we joined the Common Market.

Of course they need our money but we also need their goods.

Countries within the EU arent allowed to make singular deals outside of the block. So that leaves us to go to other markets, which may have lower levels of standards and quality. Not only that, those countries already have trade deals so it makes us the ones desperate for the deal and in a weaker trading position.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:14 am

JimCP91 wrote:

Countries within the EU arent allowed to make singular deals outside of the block. So that leaves us to go to other markets, which may have lower levels of standards and quality. Not only that, those countries already have trade deals so it makes us the ones desperate for the deal and in a weaker trading position.

This typical remoaner logic "may have lower standards and quality" so it is not definite 'fact' just a scare story :roll:

Also if we are seeking to do a bi-lateral trade deal I can't for the life of me see why that has any bearing on whether that country has a trade deal with another country as the idea is to sell and buy goods from us to them and therefore doesn't make us 'desperate' :roll:

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:20 am

Dave67 wrote:A Euro player that Cost £10,000,000 in Dec 2015 would now cost £12,100,000

It is a statement of fact - it shouldn't be too difficult to understand.

The pound slumped 2% on the announcement of the referendum in Feb 2016 and 10% on the night of the referendum.

And it shouldn't be too difficult to understand that the £ was thought to be overvalued by both the Bank of England and IMF in January 2016, six months before the referendum.

https://fullfact.org/economy/exchange-rates-and-imf/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/cur ... claim.html

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:37 am

JimCP91 wrote:

This typical remoaner logic "may have lower standards and quality" so it is not definite 'fact' just a scare story :roll:

Also if we are seeking to do a bi-lateral trade deal I can't for the life of me see why that has any bearing on whether that country has a trade deal with another country as the idea is to sell and buy goods from us to them and therefore doesn't make us 'desperate' :roll:

Standards in the US and Chinese markets for instance are lower. They use substances and materials currently banned here.

Not scaremongering but facts.

Of course we are in a weaker position. These countries already have deals with other countries. We have none. Therefore we are the ones looking for trade more than other countries. That puts you in a far weaker place than if you have many deals in place already and no necessity for more.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:12 am

JimCP91 wrote:
Standards in the US and Chinese markets for instance are lower. They use substances and materials currently banned here.

Of course we are in a weaker position. These countries already have deals with other countries. We have none. Therefore we are the ones looking for trade more than other countries. That puts you in a far weaker place than if you have many deals in place already and no necessity for more.

In your original post you claimed that countries 'may have lower standards' and now you rely on unnamed substances and materials :roll: I bet it wouldn't be hard to find examples of substances and materials which are banned in the USA and China but OK within the EU. It all depends on circumstances which are ironed out over trade negotiations :roll:

Your point about being in a weaker position is absolute nonsense. We are the world's fifth biggest economy of course other countries will want to do trade deals with us, there is money to be made and that's what makes the world go around. The UK is a world leader in many areas of commerce and has a relatively wealthy population willing to by goods and services.

Whether another country has a trade deal with a third party has no bearing on our situation that is simply scare mongering.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:17 am

JimCP91 wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:

According to the Remain campaigners, our economy should have already collapsed, unemployment should be through the roof, and sterling worth less than the Matabele Gumbo Bead. Remember, our economy would fall off the edge of a cliff just by voting for Brexit and an emergency budget would be needed within days just to try and save us. Well that all worked out well for them so the scare tactics now need to be be a little more advanced.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:47 am

rumpo kid wrote:Yeah, Neil Etheridge saved that penalty today because of Brexit.

The remainders want the penalty taken again until they score :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:50 am

It is appalling that Sports coverage is the latest ,(publicly funded), part of the BBC to be weaponised as a political campaigning tool.
Gary Lineker, already closely associated with a particular brand of crisps and thus indirectly advertising that company, is allowed to flout the rules yet again by running a political campaign to re run the referrendum , yet remain the presenter of a BBC flagship programme.

The text of the quoted article makes mention of areas which voted to leave the EU , hinting that they will now suffer for that, and in light of this one might wonder whether the fact that Wales was a majority Brexit area in the referrendum plays a part in the apparent prejudice against Cardiff City which has already been noted.

I have complained to the BBC about what I regard to be a clear breach of their Charter in this matter, although I have little confidence that the complaint will be properly investigated and acted upon.

In my opinion we are being compelled to pay for an organisation which has absolutely no respect for democracy , the people of Wales or indeed its own Charter and rules .

Since we do so little about it, perhaps they are correct in their belief that they are above us and the law which governs their conduct and impartiality ?

Therefore, I strongly urge you to go to the BBC website and make a complaint if you agree with what I have said, and if possible write a brief note to your M.P on the matter. Both options are easily available after a quick Google search via electronic menus and can be completed without leaving your armchair.

You may disagree about all this, which is your right , and if so then you are quite right to just say nothing and take it - in which case please give my regards to the pie man. However, this is an opportunity to put some pressure on to those who regard the Welsh public as a bunch of half witted peasants who they can take for granted and push round whenever they like.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Since some on here seem to be blaming Brexit on the Euro rate they might want to look back a bit further - years ago the Euro was once over 1.7 to the pound even before Brexit existed so it was already on the decline...