Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Matts Møller Dæhli

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:07 am

Matts Møller Dæhli. Genuinely thought he was the silver lining after getting relegated. We should have kept him. So much potential.

Just making this post because I was thinking about how after Soljaer left and Slade came in, we were supposed to be rebuilding and rectifying mistakes. Why did we sell a talented 19/20 year old then for basically peanuts when you consider the potential.

I understand the situation we were in when Soljaer got relegated, but I don’t see why we didn’t just do what we did with Ralls with Dæhli and slowly integrate him into the squad. He never had a bad game for us, his goal record was almost non existent but he was a key player in most of our attacks and had a couple assists (which doesn’t show the whole story).

I thought selling him was an odd one, especially when at the time compared to Whittingham, Kenwyne and Fabios wages, I’m certain I remember he wasn’t a high Earner.

Again, I understand we were transitioning and obviously eventually the money problems put us into an embargo, but we could have done a lot more than sell our (in my opinion) youngest potential talent who could have gone for 20x more than he went for if we worked with him..

I want to clarify I don’t care THAT much because we’re in the Prem, I just had a thought and I’m bored lol. So humour me.

Re: Matts Møller Dæhli

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:11 am

Where is he today? St Pauli...

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:26 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:Where is he today? St Pauli...

Right?... and Cardiff have Zohore and he’s 24 and most people here are optimistic about his potential... he’ll, even Brighton tried to get him from us last season for 20 odd mill. Somebody’s potential isn’t defined by what club they play for.

I don’t think Cardiff helped Dæhli’s career by selling him the first offer we got. Ofcourse he’s going to stagnate switching teams all the time. Lee Tomlin is 29 or something and he’s got potential even now, but his love of pies let’s him down.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:55 am

He was a gifted player but was never going to make it, wasn't physically strong enough.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:27 am

He was class. Very young and needed coaching. Our fans seemed to think he was going to run the championship at 18. Cardiff probably took his career back a few years, we were an absolute mess of a club on and off the pitch at the time.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:10 pm

Has done nothing since he left.

Very overrated.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:15 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:Has done nothing since he left.

Very overrated.

but were wrong... :laughing5:

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:32 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:Has done nothing since he left.

Very overrated.

but were wrong... :laughing5:

I no if he was was as gifted as people were saying he wouldn’t of left Manchester United for the bright lights of Molde in the first place.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:37 pm

I like him when he was with us, thought he might have made more of himself but seems to struggle with injuries. Not a Warnock type player that is for sure

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:49 pm

nubbsy wrote:He was class. Very young and needed coaching. Our fans seemed to think he was going to run the championship at 18. Cardiff probably took his career back a few years, we were an absolute mess of a club on and off the pitch at the time.

Don't think a lot people realise how many players' careers we ruined. It's the same with getting a job for a crap company, it can make you lose your confidence and it must be even worse in football.

He had a bad injury joining Freiburg and that doesn't help either. How people can deny he wasn't a fantastic talent is bemusing. Pundits and commentators alike agreed he had special talent.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:51 pm

T1JMO wrote:He was a gifted player but was never going to make it, wasn't physically strong enough.

Daft to think you have to be physically strong enough to make it when Lionel Messi has been the best player in the world alongside Ronaldo. Many players don't utilise physical strength and are still fantastic footballers. David Silva, Christian Eriksen and Mohammed Salah are 3 of the Premier Leagues top performers and are skinny as feck.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:04 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:
nubbsy wrote:He was class. Very young and needed coaching. Our fans seemed to think he was going to run the championship at 18. Cardiff probably took his career back a few years, we were an absolute mess of a club on and off the pitch at the time.

Don't think a lot people realise how many players' careers we ruined. It's the same with getting a job for a crap company, it can make you lose your confidence and it must be even worse in football.

He had a bad injury joining Freiburg and that doesn't help either. How people can deny he wasn't a fantastic talent is bemusing. Pundits and commentators alike agreed he had special talent.

Bang on the money, mate. Our last PL season, and the championship season that followed, saw us ruin many a players career. Shit, just look at Le Fondre - I believe we genuinely must take some blame as a club for how his career declined.

Our fans are too quick to slate certain players’ quality during those years, rather than looking a bit deeper at what our club actually was doing to them (and the in-fighting in the stands, etc).

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:12 pm

KWest wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

Bang on the money, mate. Our last PL season, and the championship season that followed, saw us ruin many a players career. Shit, just look at Le Fondre - I believe we genuinely must take some blame as a club for how his career declined.

Our fans are too quick to slate certain players’ quality during those years, rather than looking a bit deeper at what our club actually was doing to them (and the in-fighting in the stands, etc).

Agree with both.

I judge players on what I see of them on the pitch and that kid was an absolute joy to watch albeit very raw.

Injuries have plagued him since he's left but if he'd have taken a different route instead of coming here he may have flourished. People think it's all black and white and it's not.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:12 pm

I think right club at the wrong time if that makes any sense lol....

He fitted in to our style of play back then, if he had Warnock as a manager he would have developed into a better player.

Is he right for our club now?? Unfortunately I don’t think so..... we have better players available in the same positions

Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:23 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:
T1JMO wrote:He was a gifted player but was never going to make it, wasn't physically strong enough.

Daft to think you have to be physically strong enough to make it when Lionel Messi has been the best player in the world alongside Ronaldo. Many players don't utilise physical strength and are still fantastic footballers. David Silva, Christian Eriksen and Mohammed Salah are 3 of the Premier Leagues top performers and are skinny as feck.

Messi is strong enough to hold players off, Matts used to go on a run and get pushed off the ball every time I saw him play!

Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:30 pm

I wouldn’t swap him for anybody in our current squad.

The other two Norwegians we bought were absolutely terrible. Horrible wastes of money. What was the point in Berget signing I think that one must of been a jobs for the boys deal.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:23 pm

He had pretty good technical skills but not much more. The one we should have kept was Bergstaller.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Agree with this, at 18 or so he had a lot of natural talent and I would have loved the club to have kept him and nurtured him along but we had Ole and then Slade so no chance of that.
Injuries done for him and I don’t think he could ever get back to things as often happens. Size doesn’t come into it, look at Joe Allen for example.
Also I’d love to have kept Bergstaller and given him a longer run.
Like you say, the club was a mess at the time with no structure.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:31 am

Llan_Blue wrote:I wouldn’t swap him for anybody in our current squad.

The other two Norwegians we bought were absolutely terrible. Horrible wastes of money. What was the point in Berget signing I think that one must of been a jobs for the boys deal.

Isnt Berget one of the better players since leaving?

Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:05 pm

I liked Daehli and would have liked to have seen more of him but the big loss to us has been Burgstaller! He was barely given a chance here, and was booted out of the door as soon as Slade arrived. He's one of the top players in the Bundelsiga now :cry: :cry: :cry: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:08 pm

This is a good article on Burgstaller. Absolutely criminal that Slade just gave him away!!!

https://www.dw.com/en/the-late-coming-o ... a-38427828